• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Blasphemy

Smash Cadet
Nice to see the thread lively, all alliance stuff goes through me (for now) (PM for alliance info or the that project i want to work on for info)

As for the debate at hand...

Ornages you say that there are more willing candites for Brawl, such as who?

Also to add you can't compare one character to another because of the many viarables there are such as them being in different scenarios.

thats like comparing Ridley to Pichu it can't be done.
More willing candidates for brawl?
Hmmm lemme think
-Ridley
-Megaman
-Capt. olimar
-Krystal
-Falco
-Sora
-Stafy
-Sukapon
-Midna
-Tingle
-Ray
-Lucario
-Ridley

Enigma14

Smash Champion
(Remember all alliance related things go through me.)

anyways his Geno Beam will have to be charged by the B button but it will be like Samus' finalsmash(FS) but it will knock you back it won't hit you continously.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
That isn't necessarily the point :dizzy:

Since when has Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Pichu ever been important to Pokemon? They aren't anything more than marketing tools because they're "cute" and assumed mascots. In the actual Pokemon games, they are barely even worth using.

The point is, importance isn't the final determinant. People like Pikachu for whatever reason and Pikachu is in Brawl. People like Geno for whatever reason and hopefully he'll be in Brawl.

Also, Nintendo doesn't control Geno.. they might have wanted to make a sequel but couldn't work out an agreement with Square Enix..
I agree, and keep in mind that after Super Mario RPG was made, Square started making games for Sony, which is why agreements may have never been made. Maybe Nintendo felt a little offended by this transaction, especially since Final Fantasy games have been almost exclusive to Playstation after that.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
saying "he wont be in" and "he will be in" as the sole purpose for posting is considered spam from this point on, so keep that in mind.

speaking of which, bowser jr will be in brawl ;P

Enigma14

Smash Champion
-Capt. olimar
-Stafy
-Midna
-Tingle

Tingle? You're kidding right? What it's your opinion.

But really how many of them actually fight?

Also Geno is Nintendo-exclusive because he's can only be used in Mario related games. Also there is a reason why Geno was in M&L:SS I'll post it here:

When you reach Mushroomtop Village, you must head to the arcade and play a bar-tilting game before you can do anything else. When the instructions are being read out to you, you will notice your host is none other than Geno. Geno was one of the main heroes from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. This is his first appearance since that game (due in part to Nintendo and Square patching up old differences). Geno was added as a reference to another title designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, Yoshihiko Maekawa and several others (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)[4].

Also by them clearning up old differences I see no problem as for Geno to make it.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
I still think that Yoko Shimomura created this awesome remix of Forest Maze.. (isn't the level actually called Rose Forest?). Why is she listed as Kingdom Hearts anyways on the Musicians page? Hmmmmm... I doubt Sora will be in but then again...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
-Capt. olimar
-Stafy
-Midna
-Tingle

Also Geno is Nintendo-exclusive because he's can only be used in Mario related games. Also there is a reason why Geno was in M&L:SS I'll post it here:

When you reach Mushroomtop Village, you must head to the arcade and play a bar-tilting game before you can do anything else. When the instructions are being read out to you, you will notice your host is none other than Geno. Geno was one of the main heroes from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. This is his first appearance since that game (due in part to Nintendo and Square patching up old differences). Geno was added as a reference to another title designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, Yoshihiko Maekawa and several others (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)[4].

Also by them clearning up old differences I see no problem as for Geno to make it.
Anyone dissing Geno please respond to this or else it just proves you're here to spam or flame and I will make sure Gimpy takes action.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
That isn't necessarily the point :dizzy:

Since when has Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Pichu ever been important to Pokemon? They aren't anything more than marketing tools because they're "cute" and assumed mascots. In the actual Pokemon games, they are barely even worth using.

The point is, importance isn't the final determinant. People like Pikachu for whatever reason and Pikachu is in Brawl. People like Geno for whatever reason and hopefully he'll be in Brawl.

Also, Nintendo doesn't control Geno.. they might have wanted to make a sequel but couldn't work out an agreement with Square Enix..
saying "he wont be in" and "he will be in" as the sole purpose for posting is considered spam from this point on, so keep that in mind.

speaking of which, bowser jr will be in brawl ;P
Can we still argue the points without spitting out blatant opinions? And I agree, I hope Bowser Jr. is in Brawl.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Mine?

10char
yes yours ;)

*also to someone above who said importance isn't the deciding factor*

I think importance is necessary for Brawl candidates, if it wasn't Toad would have been in :( he was the perfect candidate (excluding importance) he was iconic, popular, wanted for Brawl, etc.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
im reading what everyone is saying. So basically the 4 to 2 thing indicates Geno' larger fanbase? No, it does not.

That's not what people are saying. They're comparing the interest Sakurai appears to have in Geno compared to Megaman. According to some sources, Megaman was the most voted for character on the offical Brawl poll so obviously people aren't suggesting that.

But this is a game for Mario and Nintendo fans. Then why the 3rd parties?

Because third parties have played an important role in Nintendo's history. Nintendo and Capcom have been working together since the arcade days, Sega and Hudson Soft have helped consideribly with the Wii's virtual, and many other companies like Namco, Konami, and Square Enix have made joint projects with Nintendo in the past. Don't even get me started on all the third party games that have come out on Nintendo platforms since the mid 80s. Also, if you're trying to sugges that there's a barrier between first party and third party in this game, you're dead wrong because there's considerible evidence that shows that the wall basically no longer exists:

Donkey Kong and his stages are based on Donkey Konga and DK Jungle Beat, games developed by Namco.

Slippy's trophy is his Star Fox Assualt form, another game developed by Namco.

Samurai Goroh and Dr. Stewart's character designs are based on F-Zero GX, a game developed by Sega.

The sticker update showed items from the Mario party games, a series developed by Hudson Soft.

Dr. Wright was created by a third party called Monolith.

One of the heroines from Sin and Punishment, a game developed by Treasure, is an AT.

Do I need to go on? Keep in mind that absolutely no third parties were represented let along involved with the development of Melee and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that things have changed consideribly since then. (By the way, this is yet another "obstacle" that Geno no longer faces like he did in the past.)

So, there are the undressed points I had.

I have to go eat, but more support to his slim chances

If everyone loves him so much, why has there only been 1 more appearance since SMRPG?

Yeah, as the only original Mario RPG character besides Fawful to appear in more then one game.

Why was he not planned for melee?

Haven't you been listening? Third parties weren't involved at all during the development of Melee and, also, Nintendo and Square Enix weren't on the best of terms since the president of Nintendo basically said in 1997 "Nintendo and Square will never work together again" because Final Fantasy 7 became a major blockbuster and was originally supposed to be on the N64. In the past year, Nintendo and Square Enix have already made to two joint projects together, Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Ikari Street so it's easy to say that they are on a lot better terms then they were in the past. Throw in all the exclusive games that are coming to the Wii and DS...

When has he been publicized at any recent nintendo event?
Good question. Under that logic, why wasn't King Dedede given all the pompous and fanfare that Sonic recieved? Heck, he was the third most requested character in the offical Melee poll back in 2001 and supposedly the second in the Brawl poll so obviously he should have recieved a upstanding corrignation... Try to keep in mind that Snake and Sonic are so far the only characters that Nintendo has made a big deal about concerning this game.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
yes yours ;)

*also to someone above who said importance isn't the deciding factor*

I think importance is necessary for Brawl candidates, if it wasn't Toad would have been in :( he was the perfect candidate (excluding importance) he was iconic, popular, wanted for Brawl, etc.
You can use it if you want

Blasphemy said:
Geno- Side character in ANOTHER Mario game. Made of wood. 'Nuff said...
Bowser-Turtle
DK-Monkey
Pikachu-Electiric Mouse

Nuff said.

Blasphemy

Smash Cadet
-Capt. olimar
-Stafy
-Midna
-Tingle

Lemme back this guy up.

Capt. Olimar- Main character of one of Nintendo's best selling new series, to date. Can use his Pikmin to attack for him.

Stafy- Don't know to much about him but his games are very big in Japan. He is also the main character.

Midna- Possibly one of the most influential characters in Twilight Princess. She IS also the Twilight Princess and she DOES fight in LoZ:TP

Tingle- Coulb be a very original character. Creepy, but original. One of the most memorable characters in LoZ series and even has his own game.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you guys can discuss whether or not you think they will be in and give reasons and what not but just basically saying 'x char will/wont be in' isn't encouraged

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Lemme back this guy up.

Capt. Olimar- Main character of one of Nintendo's best selling new series, to date. Can use his Pikmin to attack for him.

Stafy- Don't know to much about him but his games are very big in Japan. He is also the main character.

Midna- Possibly one of the most influential characters in Twilight Princess. She IS also the Twilight Princess and she DOES fight in LoZ:TP

Tingle- Coulb be a very original character. Creepy, but original. One of the most memorable characters in LoZ series and even has his own game.

Sounds like Olimar can't fight for himself...PT anyone?

Anyways I'd like to point out that Mario game started influcence in many ways such as calling Toadstoll; Peach and having Bowser playable in future Mario like RPGS such as the paper series

Also I'd like to point out that even though the title says Super Mario RPG Geno was the catalyst since he knew what the stars are for since THEY sent him to get the stars. Another future theme that is later included in the Paper and Bros series.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
Ok, here are the cutscene ideas I was talking about:

-Begin Cutscene-

The camera hovers over Dreamland as it is shrouded in night. It then zooms into a forest where 2 Waddle Dee are making a mad dash, while carrying a shining object in their hands. It's the Star Rod! (The one from Paper Mario). As the 2 make it toward the clearing, one of them stumbles over a rock, knocking over the other, sending the Star Rod flying through the air and sliding across the ground before sliding to a stop at the familiar stubby feet of King Dedede. As Dedede picks up the Star Rod, he throws an embarrassed glance at the 2 Waddle Dee struggling to stand up right. Dedede gives them a nod of approval and dismisses them. As he begins to examine the Star Rod in all its glory, he senses another figure stepping out of the woods. It's Geno! And he's here to reclaim the Star Road/Haven's stolen property! Geno holds out his hand and transforms it into a wand, preparing his Geno Beam attack to intimidate Dedede. Dedede smirks and pulls out his hammer and smashes it into the ground, causing the area to shake. As Dedede charges at Geno, the camera switches to behind Geno to dramatize his attack.

-Cutscene Ends-
-Battle Starts-

Geno Vs. Dedede
No character choice. You have to be Geno.
Stage: Dreamland (Night) <----Hopefully Dreamland will return with day and night intervals.
Music: King Dedede Theme

-Cutscene upon Victory-

As the scene starts, Geno and Dedede are thrown back in opposite directions from the force of their attacks. The 2 prepare to launch a final attack, but as they are, something catches Dedede's eyes and he fires off a blast from the Star Rod, which flies past Geno and strikes something in the shadows. Geno looks back and witnesses a Primid collapse from the shadows and starts to disintegrate into purple clouds. In shock he throws a questioning glace at Dedede. Dedede simply points at the Primid and turns toward the horizon where the sun is rising, revealing the clear image of a Subspace Vortex engulfing the area where the Fountain of Dreams used to be. He then draws Geno's attention to the Star Rod and points it at the dying Primid. His motions implying "They're causing that destruction and I'm using the Star Rod to stop them." Geno, understanding Dedede's true intentions, ceases his attack. Dedede reluctantly holds out his hand, requesting Geno's assistance. Geno nods and shakes Dedede's hand. The moment is interrupted as more Primids begin to erupt from the woods, surrounding them. Dedede slings his hammer over his shoulder as Geno prepares his Geno Beam once again. They strike a pose.

Chose Character: Geno or Dedede.

-Level Start-
Level: Dreamland (Green Greens)

-End of level Cutscene-

As Geno and Dedede are dashing across Green Greens, Dedede comes to a stop when a light flies overhead in the sky. Even from such as distance, Dedede recognizes the flying object instantly; It's Kirby's Warpstar! (Peach or Zelda will be with Kirby). As the warpstar flies off into the distance, Dedede motions toward Geno to follow him and pursue it. As the 2 run off, Dedede has a somewhat disgruntled look on his face that seems to say "Who would have thought I'd have to team up with HIM again?"

There you go. I might write some more scenes later. Maybe something with Geno and Mario teaming up again and Smithy as a boss.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Smash Cadet
Alright Oranges.....

First off real original non-repetitive argument. "OH MY GOD! HE ISN'T WELL KNOWN ENOUGH! IN MY OPINION HE'S A GAY PUPPET! HE DOESN'T DESERVE IT! HE'S BEEN IN ONE GAME!"

So let's break this down one by one....

Not well known enough? SMRPG was a widely successful game and Geno was one of if not the most memorable character from it excluding Mario himself obviously. He tied with a lot of characters who have been confirmed and passed many who you would see as more "well-deserving." You say the polls do not matter but if Geno was lower you'd be saying something else....the polls do matter clearly, a lot of the characters at the top were confirmed.

"IF IT'S FOR MARIO FANS THIRD PARTY LOL?" If you didn't notice Snake originated on the NES but either way was mainly in not due to fans but because the head of Konami begged Sakurai for Snake to be in....Sonic however was THE most wanted in any given poll for Brawl which oh wait...polls don't matter I forgot not like he was also mentioned as being the most wanted in his announcement but....nah they don't matter at all. Also you clearly flamed Geno and pretty much put up a red-flag to your biased view "GAY PUPPET".

Infact Geno's cameo in Starsaga was a fan-service and showed that Geno wasn't completely dead yet. He IS part of the mario-universe they're the only games he has been in and Square has clearly showed NO interest in him. He hasn't even really been considered third-party on the polls. Olimar was completely irrelevant and wouldn't take up a "Mario" space and is not even third-party.

Also being in one game as a major role gets rid of his chances? Seriously? Just like it did to Ice Climbers? They're pretty popular recently too right and have been in a line of games. Same with Pit? I'm sure there are a few others I'm forgetting. Also being planned for Melee is the only way to be in Brawl? Man that lowers a lot of peoples chances it's too bad really. Oh well I'm sure you'll ignore this post or completely disregard anything I've said as it actually has been stated before for the most part.

I'm not saying Geno is a shoe-in but being mentioned by Sakurai multiple times and him showing interest in him, being very high in polls and fitting perfectly as an oldie character the would be somewhat unexpected to people like Ness, Mr.Game&Watch, and Ice Climbers were and a high potential for a unique move set he certainly has decent chances to say the least.

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:

-Begin Cutscene-

The camera hovers over Dreamland as it is shrouded in night. It then zooms into a forest where 2 Waddle Dee are making a mad dash, while carrying a shining object in their hands. It's the Star Rod! (The one from Paper Mario). As the 2 make it toward the clearing, one of them stumbles over a rock, knocking over the other, sending the Star Rod flying through the air and sliding across the ground before sliding to a stop at the familiar stubby feet of King Dedede. As Dedede picks up the Star Rod, he throws an embarrassed glance at the 2 Waddle Dee struggling to stand up right. Dedede gives them a nod of approval and dismisses them. As he begins to examine the Star Rod in all its glory, he senses another figure stepping out of the woods. It's Geno! And he's here to reclaim the Star Road/Haven's stolen property! Geno holds out his hand and transforms it into a wand, preparing his Geno Beam attack to intimidate Dedede. Dedede smirks and pulls out his hammer and smashes it into the ground, causing the area to shake. As Dedede charges at Geno, the camera switches to behind Geno to dramatize his attack.

-Cutscene Ends-
-Battle Starts-

Geno Vs. Dedede
Stage: Dreamland (Night) <----Hopefully Dreamland will return with day and night intervals.

-Cutscene upon Victory-

As the scene starts, Geno and Dedede are thrown back in opposite directions from the force of their attacks. The 2 prepare to launch a final attack, but as they are, something catches Dedede's eyes and he fires off a blast from the Star Rod, which flies past Geno and strikes something in the shadows. Geno looks back and witnesses a Primid collapse from the shadows and starts to disintegrate into purple clouds. In shock he throws a questioning glace at Dedede. Dedede simply points at the Primid and turns toward the horizon where the sun is rising, revealing the clear image of a Subspace Vortex engulfing the area where the Fountain of Dreams used to be. He then draws Geno's attention to the Star Rod and points it at the dying Primid. His motions implying "They're causing that destruction and I'm using the Star Rod to stop them." Geno, understanding Dedede's true intentions, ceases his attack. Dedede reluctantly holds out his hand, requesting Geno's assistance. Geno nods and shakes Dedede's hand. The moment is interrupted as more Primids begin to erupt from the woods, surrounding them. Dedede slings his hammer over his shoulder as Geno prepares his Geno Beam once again. They strike a pose.

-Level Start-

-End of level Cutscene-

As Geno and Dedede are dashing across Green Greens, Dedede comes to a stop when a light flies overhead in the sky. Even from such as distance, Dedede recognizes the flying object instantly; It's Kirby's Warpstar! (Peach or Zelda will be with Kirby). As the warpstar flies off into the distance, Dedede motions toward Geno to follow him and pursue it. As the 2 run off, Dedede has a somewhat disgruntled look on his face that seems to say "Who would have thought I'd have to team up with HIM again?"

There you go. I might write some more scenes later. Maybe something with Geno and Mario teaming up again and Smithy as a boss.
i like this idea

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I find this miseribly ironic because, significance wise, they're about the same. Both characters pretty much drove the plots of their respective games and we're more intertwined with it in any other character. With that said, to say Midna is more important then Geno is meerly expressing your own bias.

Besides, if you want to play that game, I could say that Geno has the upper hand because he 1. has actually appeared in more then one game, 2. was actually playable and 3. the game he was in was very important to Nintendo because SMRPG was the first joint project console game between them and a third party. (Wario Blast was first but that was on the Gameboy) I could also bring up how Midna wasn't even metioned in Sakurai's journal while Geno ended up with five mentions tieing with King Dedede, one of Sakurai's own creations, for the most mentioned character but I suppose that wouldn't be fair...

Enigma14

Smash Champion

-Begin Cutscene-

-Cutscene Ends-
-Battle Starts-

Geno Vs. Dedede

-Cutscene upon Victory-

-Level Start-

-End of level Cutscene-

...Thats the best thing I've read in this thread so far. I could actually imagine it. Freaking good job! ;)

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I find this miseribly ironic because, significance wise, they're about the same. Both characters pretty much drove the plots of their respective games and we're more intertwined with it in any other character. With that said, to say Midna is more important then Geno is meerly expressing your own bias.

Besides, if you want to play that game, I could say that Geno has the upper hand because he 1. has actually appeared in more then one game, 2. was actually playable and 3. the game he was in was very important to Nintendo because SMRPG was the first joint project console game between them and a third party. (Wario Blast was first but that was on the Gameboy) I could also bring up how Midna wasn't even metioned in Sakurai's journal while Geno ended up with five mentions tieing with King Dedede, one of Sakurai's own creations, for the most mentioned character but I suppose that wouldn't be fair...

techniqally you would play as midna everytime you were wolf link
just sayin....

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Hey, anyone seen this Geno Mii someone created?

Pretty close if you ask me.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
does Geno have 5 or 4 mentions in the journal? :ohwell: I always hear different numbers from different Geno fans.

Top Bottom