• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Ornages

Smash Rookie
except that there can only be 1 more 3rd party, or even none(2 or 3 3rd party, Sonic and Snake, both planned for Melee)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
oranges, i suggest you read the posts by the moderator, before you get warned to the point of banned at under 10 posts

EDIT: just to be clear, i'm the moderator -_-

Ornages

Smash Rookie
whats wrong with mario fans voting? this is a game FOR mario fans, and fans of nintendo

alright you aren't posting anything new or anything even half relevant, so please just stop posting. it's not that i'm being angry for people disagreeing with you (i personally dont really see geno being in, nor do i necessarily want him in, and i LOVED smrpg) but what you are doing isn't helping this thread or these boards at all

whoa whoa whoa, do not compare the signifance of luigi to the significance of geno, it's not even close and you KNOW that wu tang
Snake
If it's old then what are the solid counter arguments? And what does the thread gonna go if there's nothing to debate anyway? All I read before this were recycled arguments that went over spam, and I'm trying to point out why he probably won't be in brawl.

And you can't ban someone for an opinionated debate, the flaming I did I was warned for.

trumpet Thief

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm trumpet thief (wirelessyoshi from the Geno Alliance at DJU, Gamefaqs, and smrpglegacy.com :p), and it's really cool to see a big alliance here too, so I'd love joinin' in. Aaaand I'm already acquanted with Mr. Fatman through Nsider (back when it was alive).

Anyhoo, I honest to god think that Geno's chances to becomin a character are big (back at Gamefaqs when the Geno Alliance was over there led by Shadowbolt, we'd always have huge debates about this). Some big recent reasons are IGN's Smash it Up feature on their website, where they inducted Geno as a possible character in their list, which garnered more attention, as well as mentioning Boshi could be a costume change for Yoshi :p.

Also, Geno is one of the most popular characters in terms of Smash Brawl. I'm not talking about just gaming forums, but in general, SMRPG, a game that was released on the final months of the SNES, and STILL managed to sell over 2.2 million copies (and it wasn't even released in PAL region!) is well known in Japan (even moreso than here), and as well, any person with a general respect of Mario history should know who this character is. Simply put, if you know anything about Super Mario Bros. 2's wacky characters that only made one appearance, you should know Geno, who was in the game that jumpstarted all of the Paper Marios, Mario and Luigi RPGs, etc.

Some points about Sakurai. He is noted to have asked around about Geno after seeing him a notable amount of times on his poll. Also, from the translation results I've seen, Geno was mentioned 5 times on Sakurai's poll, not six, as he was stated to have been tied with King DeDeDe on the poll, but regardless, four of five, he is still in the top five mentioned characters, AND of those five characters, 3 of them have made it (Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ike), and all had a bunch of support from fans anyways. The same can be said about Ridley AND Geno.

Geno fans and SMRPG fans alike have been waiting for SOMETHING new from SMRPG to show up. How come all these old Mario games are ported or re-released sooo many times, yet SMRPG hasn't even been given a direct sequel, a remake, or anything? Hopefully him appearing in smash can lead to that :)

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
oranges, i suggest you read the posts by the moderator, before you get warned to the point of banned at under 10 posts

EDIT: just to be clear, i'm the moderator -_-
wait wait wait

who cares

I suppose your taking down the Meta Knight section now? I'm suuuuure Fox will be next.

Lets not forget this thread, the only best thread on the forums now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That whole 2 or 3 characters thing has been pretty much debunked in reports though. It's all out of the window now, even Sakurai has removed traces of him having said that from what I understand.

D

Deleted member

except that there can only be 1 more 3rd party, or even none(2 or 3 3rd party, Sonic and Snake, both planned for Melee)
Sakurai can get in as much as he freaking wants. He is Sakurai, the god of Brawl. Besides, even though Geno is owned by Square, Geno was creatd by Nintendo and Nintendo got away with putting Geno into M&L:SSS free without any pay.

Snake
If it's old then what are the solid counter arguments? And what does the thread gonna go if there's nothing to debate anyway? All I read before this were recycled arguments that went over spam, and I'm trying to point out why he probably won't be in brawl.

And you can't ban someone for an opinionated debate, the flaming I did I was warned for.
Dude, Geno can make it in. He has a better chance than Megaman. Geno is easy to put in, Geno was mentioned 4 times as Megaman was mentioned 2 times. Sakurai is showing interest in Geno and said so in an interview.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
That whole 2 or 3 characters thing has been pretty much debunked in reports though. It's all out of the window now, even Sakurai has removed traces of him having said that from what I understand.
I know, the whole he's third party and he doesn't deserve to be the third one, megaman does is really annoying. Just look at the polls, Geno is obviously a more popular character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think there's enough room in the roster for both Geno and Megaman people. Geno would be counted as a Square Representative and have his own symbol (not the Mushroom Symbol) and Megaman would be Capcom's representative.

Ornages

Smash Rookie
4 > 3 though, he wasn't even one of the beta chars for melee. Balloon fighter, Snake, Ridley, and Sonic were all going to be put in but did not make the deadline. All other new chars have been 1st party so far

Not to mention Olimar's large chances for brawl consuming another spot

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never understood why people compare Geno to the likes of Sonic and Megaman and act like he has to compete with them in order to get in. Yes, Geno's third party but his legal situation is different enough to set him aside from that "race". There's also the fact that he's a Mario character so for those who believe he'd represent all of Square Enix much like how Sonic represents Sega and Megaman would represent Capcom are deluding themselves because that's far from the actual situation. Compared to the likes of the other two, Geno is practically worthless to Square Enix because they can't legally use him without Nintendo being involved or even outside the contexts of a game involving Mario. With that said, comparing the net worth of Geno to someone like Sonic is like comparing the price of a fastfood hamburger to a lobster dinner. Throw on top of that how the man who directed SMRPG is now the boss of Alpha Dream, which I might add, is owned by Nintendo. With what I've said, Geno's pretty much laid out on a silver platter when it comes to snagging him for Brawl and I don't understand why people act like "renting" his rights would be miseribly inconveinient or completely bankrupt Nintendo.

trumpet Thief

Smash Rookie
I never understood why people compare Geno to the likes of Sonic and Megaman and act like he has to compete with them in order to get in. Yes, Geno's third party but his legal situation is different enough to set him aside from that "race". There's also the fact that he's a Mario character so for those who believe he'd represent all of Square Enix much like how Sonic represents Sega and Megaman would represent Capcom are deluding themselves because that's far from the actual situation. Compared to the likes of the other two, Geno is practically worthless to Square Enix because they can't legally use him without Nintendo being involved or even outside the contexts of a game involving Mario. With that said, comparing the net worth of Geno to someone like Sonic is like comparing the price of a fastfood hamburger to a lobster dinner. Throw on top of that how the man who directed SMRPG is now the boss of Alpha Dream, which I might add, is owned by Nintendo. With what I've said, Geno's pretty much laid out on a silver platter when it comes to snagging him for Brawl and I don't understand why people act like "renting" his rights would be miseribly inconveinient or completely bankrupt Nintendo.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
I think there's enough room in the roster for both Geno and Megaman people. Geno would be counted as a Square Representative and have his own symbol (not the Mushroom Symbol) and Megaman would be Capcom's representative.
I know, why can't everybody just understand that, it's not that hard people. Geez.:mad:

I wish more people thought like you did.

Ornages

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't be inconvenient at all, but there are OTHER 3rd party characters who could represent a new franchise AND fill that one last spot. That said MM is a great choice. He has appeared on every and All N consoles to date(excluding the Wii), and is just so versatile.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
4 > 3 though, he wasn't even one of the beta chars for melee. Balloon fighter, Snake, Ridley, and Sonic were all going to be put in but did not make the deadline. All other new chars have been 1st party so far

False. Snake and Sonic were the only ones that have been offically proven to be considered for Melee but neither of them were in the beta. All the other characters you mentioned are meerly speculation and have not been offically proven by anyone.

Not to mention Olimar's large chances for brawl consuming another spot
Olimar's the star of his own franchise so why are you comparing him to Geno? Because Geno's basically "2 1/2 party", they're not even in the same ring of competition. Right at the moment, the only people that are really competing with Geno for a spot are Paper Mario and Bowser Jr because they're all part of the same franchise.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I'm not sure. I think it might justify and explain things better if Geno had the mushroom symbol, granted that they both got in. Even though I'm not a Geno supporter, it seems likely that both will make it.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't be inconvenient at all, but there are OTHER 3rd party characters who could represent a new franchise AND fill that one last spot. That said MM is a great choice. He has appeared on every and All N consoles to date(excluding the Wii), and is just so versatile.
Dude, look at the polls. Geno got 4, megaman got 2 -_-. And has Sakurai ever openly discussed Geno publicly, uh no!

Ornages

Smash Rookie
False? What is proof to you? A screenshot or official announcement? people who worked on melee have mentioned him >_>

I'm just saying with Brawl spots filling fast every new character pushes Geno's chances farther away

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Do you even read what everyone's saying?

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
Hey! No one invited me to the Geno Alliance? That makes me sad... :(

You probably don't know me, so let me introduce myself. I'm a Geno Supporter from the Brawl board on GameFaqs where my username is OmegaSsjGoku. Since there aren't many Geno Support topics over there, I came running when I heard about this one! I'm hoping I can contribute to this awesome group. I have something that you might find interesting. About a month ago, I wrote out some ideas for Subspace Emissary cutscenes involving Geno and posted them on GameFaqs. I got some pretty good responses and even some Geno haters had to agree that my ideas were pretty cool. So if you want, I'll post the ideas here. Of course, if you don't want me to, I'll kindly shut up.

PyroMoon

Smash Rookie
False? What is proof to you? A screenshot or official announcement? people who worked on melee have mentioned him >_>

I'm just saying with Brawl spots filling fast every new character pushes Geno's chances farther away
Quite the contrary, and besides we haven't had a character update in a while so his chances haven't been pushed(according to you).

Do you even read what everyone's saying?
I know really.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@ Oranges:

My friend, you're not getting it. In both the 2001 offical Melee poll and the 2006 Brawl poll, Geno was classified, not as a third party character (despite being one) but, rather, a Mario character. As such, if Geno were to join the fighting ranks of Brawl, he'd be added as another Mario character and not a third party character like Sonic or Megaman. With that said, Geno's not in competition with them because, pay close attention to this, he wouldn't take a spot from the alleged third party roster since, as I said, he's hardly suitable to represent Square Enix's twenty year history in its entirety. Megaman and Sonic, on the other hand, represent the flagship franchises of their respective companies.

Ornages

Smash Rookie
im reading what everyone is saying. So basically the 4 to 2 thing indicates Geno' larger fanbase? No, it does not.

But this is a game for Mario and Nintendo fans. Then why the 3rd parties?

So, there are the undressed points I had.

I have to go eat, but more support to his slim chances

If everyone loves him so much, why has there only been 1 more appearance since SMRPG?
Why was he not planned for melee?
When has he been publicized at any recent nintendo event?

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

You probably don't know me, so let me introduce myself. I'm a Geno Supporter from the Brawl board on GameFaqs where my username is OmegaSsjGoku. Since there aren't many Geno Support topics over there, I came running when I heard about this one! I'm hoping I can contribute to this awesome group. I have something that you might find interesting. About a month ago, I wrote out some ideas for Subspace Emissary cutscenes involving Geno and posted them on GameFaqs. I got some pretty good responses and even some Geno haters had to agree that my ideas were pretty cool. So if you want, I'll post the ideas here. Of course, if you don't want me to, I'll kindly shut up.
I think I remember those

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.

Please do! We're all about cool new ideas here!

And I've seen you a couple times over there....you may remember me as missingn087. :D

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
im reading what everyone is saying. So basically the 4 to 2 thing indicates Geno' larger fanbase? No, it does not.

If everyone loves him so much, why has there only been 1 more appearance since SMRPG?
My theory is that he was a "one shot" character like most Squaresoft/Enix characters were. Remember, there was no Final Fantasy II - 2. Those characters were unique and it isn't until recently that the "one shot" rule has been broken. Just a hunch..

Ornages

Smash Rookie
well, before I eat say Geno IS classified magically as 1st party despite the fact he isn't 1st party....

He's unimportant to the mario franchise, apparent by reasons stated above

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace

If you really did, you'd of known about his second appearence, inside the rather large post I made a while back. What's the meaning of this?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Nice to see the thread lively, all alliance stuff goes through me (for now) (PM for alliance info or the that project i want to work on for info)

As for the debate at hand...

Ornages you say that there are more willing candites for Brawl, such as who?

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
well, before I eat say Geno IS classified magically as 1st party despite the fact he isn't 1st party....

That isn't necessarily the point :dizzy:

Since when has Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Pichu ever been important to Pokemon? They aren't anything more than marketing tools because they're "cute" and assumed mascots. In the actual Pokemon games, they are barely even worth using.

The point is, importance isn't the final determinant. People like Pikachu for whatever reason and Pikachu is in Brawl. People like Geno for whatever reason and hopefully he'll be in Brawl.

Also, Nintendo doesn't control Geno.. they might have wanted to make a sequel but couldn't work out an agreement with Square Enix..

Blasphemy

Smash Cadet

I completely agree.
Geno was a one hit wonder.
And thats all he ever will be.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Nice to see the thread lively, all alliance stuff goes through me (for now) (PM for alliance info or the that project i want to work on for info)

As for the debate at hand...

Ornages you say that there are more willing candites for Brawl, such as who?

Also to add you can't compare one character to another because of the many viarables there are such as them being in different scenarios.

thats like comparing Ridley to Pichu it can't be done.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
Please do! We're all about cool new ideas here!

And I've seen you a couple times over there....you may remember me as missingn087. :D
Yeah! I think I remember you! Nice to know I'm not the only GameFaqs user over here.

I think I remember those
Well, I'll post them again in a second to refresh your memory.

Top Bottom