• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Not to mention that if Bowser Jr. were to be playable, it'd be analogous to the D.K./Diddy thing: two creatures that are the same animal (?) with one being smaller than the other.

On the flip side, name one person/relationship that Geno is similar to.
Diddy and Donkey Kong are not the same animal... ¬¬ Diddy is a chimp, Donkey Kong is an ape.

BTW, Come on guys, I know you love Geno and all, BUT... Bowser Jr. and Bowser would be VERY different, other than the paintbrush. Have you not played any recent Mario games?

I'm ok with Bowser Jr. I don't want him in, but he wouldn't be a bad character.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
In reality, # of mentions by Sakurai > # of votes in a public poll. After all, Sakurai is the one in charge of making the game, and as such, he has a huge say in what characters get in. If Sakurai takes an interest in a character (as he obviously has with Geno) it is a much better indication of that characters chances than "popularity".
Agreed. Sakurai mentioning Geno that many times shows that he's interested in him.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Diddy and Donkey Kong are not the same animal... ¬¬ Diddy is a chimp, Donkey Kong is an ape.

BTW, Come on guys, I know you love Geno and all, BUT... Bowser Jr. and Bowser would be VERY different, other than the paintbrush. Have you not played any recent Mario games?

Bowser Jr. is such a terrible character it isn't even funny.

Iggy, on the other hand......that could be cool.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Sakurai knows for a fact that Geno is popular and wanted. If he isn't playable, I'll be shocked. And pissed. But mostly pissed.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman

Shut up, you know what I meant--in the end, both Diddy and Donkey and Primates, with Diddy being a smaller one and D.K. being a bigger.

Bowser Jr. and Bowser represent that same relation. Where's the uniqueness in that? While Bowser Jr. might have a unique moveset, I'd rather have a unique character to begin with.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr. and Bowser represent that same relation. Where's the uniqueness in that? While Bowser Jr. might have a unique moveset, I'd rather have a unique character to begin with.
Agreed. At most, I think Bowser Jr. would make a really good AT. But I would prefer the Koopa kids from Super Mario World to be ATs. xD

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Shut up, you know what I meant--in the end, both Diddy and Donkey and Primates, with Diddy being a smaller one and D.K. being a bigger.

Boo hoo, we have too many human like characters in the game... let's take out some.

No.

Bowser Jr. is as similar as Luigi is to Mario, yet, he would play TOTALLY different. If you only base your opinion that he wouldn't APPEAR unique then you're quite the shallow one and should look more into a character before putting out silly arguments against them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Boo hoo, we have too many human like characters in the game... let's take out some.

No.

Bowser Jr. is as similar as Luigi is to Mario, yet, he would play TOTALLY different. If you only base your opinion that he wouldn't APPEAR unique then you're quite the shallow one and should look more into a character before putting out silly arguments against them.
What I hate about Bowser Jr is they just took the design of Baby Bowser and added a handkerchief thing he wears as a mask...

He replaced the Koopa Kids that all had unique designs and personalities...

ALL he has that is special is the handkerchief...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The only poll with Hard numbers of the exact people that voted was the melee poll

Geno did do poorly on that

THE ONLY thing we received from the Brawl poll was the mentions by Sakurai
Wrong. How do you explain Sonic being the most requested character by Sakurai's admission when he didn't even make the top 5 on that mentions list? Can you objectively confirm a character's amount of buzz without voter numbers? No. Sakurai released the melee poll after the fact. Hes likely to do the same with the Brawl poll. Do you actually think some grand study spanning several internet sites was undertaken by Nintendo to determine who was the most requested? No! They just put up a poll on one site. Again.

These are the top 10 requested characters from the melee poll:

(1) Bowser: 169
(2) Princess Peach: 66
(3) Wario: 65
(4) Great King Dedede: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf): 36
(6) James Bond: 35
(7) Mewtwo: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie: 33
(9) Toad: 27
(10) Mew: 24

Its likely that Sonic topped the Brawl Poll at #1, with Wario & King Dedede showing up in the top 5 again. Poll results will most likely be made public after Brawl releases like the melee ones were. If the current Brawl roster and melee results are any indication, Geno not only did poorly on the melee polls, but the Brawl ones as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wrong. How do you explain Sonic being the most requested character by Sakurai's admission when he didn't even make the top 5 on that mentions list? Can you objectively confirm a character's amount of buzz without voter numbers? No. Sakurai released the melee poll after the fact. Hes likely to do the same with the Brawl poll. Do you actually think some grand study spanning several internet sites was undertaken by Nintendo to determine who was the most requested? No! They just put up a poll on one site. Again.

These are the top 10 requested characters from the melee poll:

(1) Bowser: 169
(2) Princess Peach: 66
(3) Wario: 65
(4) Great King Dedede: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf): 36
(6) James Bond: 35
(7) Mewtwo: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie: 33
(9) Toad: 27
(10) Mew: 24

Its likely that Sonic topped the Brawl Poll at #1, with Wario & King Dedede showing up in the top 5 again. Poll results will most likely be made public after Brawl releases like the melee ones were. If the current Brawl roster and melee results are any indication, Geno not only did poorly on the melee polls, but the Brawl ones as well.
Well, I'm pretty sure you don't know the results of the Brawl poll either so why the hell bring anything up?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
What I hate about Bowser Jr is they just took the design of Baby Bowser and added a handkerchief thing he wears as a mask...

He replaced the Koopa Kids that all had unique designs and personalities...

ALL he has that is special is the handkerchief...
Nintendo has recycled character designs all the time... this wasn't the first time, won't be the last time, yadda yadda.

He didn't replace the Koopa Kids, they were long gone before he appeared.

The Koopa Kids will work more as Assist Trophies, they can't ALL be added a la Pokemon Trainer, where it's the fair thing to do,, so they'd work as a collective AT. (or maybe different ATs...)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendo has recycled character designs all the time... this wasn't the first time, won't be the last time, yadda yadda.

The Koopa Kids will work more as Assist Trophies, they can't ALL be added a la Pokemon Trainer, where it's the fair thing to do,, so they'd work as a collective AT. (or maybe different ATs...)
I don't care either way about that...

My point is...

I don't like him and he's very unoriginal

What point are you trying to make? You like that about characters?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
wtf... Are you saying that you can't replace somehting that came before you?

Bowser JR is just Baby Bowser with a hankerchief over his face. He would make a bad PC, end of discussion.

But yea, so how about the Geno guy?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
If the current Brawl roster and melee results are any indication, Geno not only did poorly on the melee polls, but the Brawl ones as well.
That's one heck of an inference.
It's been 6 years since Melee and there is no way to guess how the Brawl polls turned out by looking at the Melee polls. The only way to know is to actually see the polls. Besides, things have changed since then. Sonic was apparently in first place on the Brawl poll, but nowhere to be seen on the Melee one.

....And I don't see how the current incomplete Brawl roster has anything to do with Geno being or not being in Brawl.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I know I been in this thread for months and months, but could someone please tell me what Sakurai actually said about Geno. I alwyas heard he was for him and such, but never knew any details of it.

Necro Pit

Smash Cadet

Bowser JR is just Baby Bowser with a hankerchief over his face. He would make a bad PC, end of discussion.

why, he's doing great! Thanks for asking.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno had to compete with freaking Bowser and Peach in the Melee poll (as a Mario character) NO surprise he did poorly.
Of course, even I would have voted for Bowser...

Though in actuality I voted for Bomberman on it:p

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

First of all, that's not what I'm trying to say.

Second of all...

Have you played any recent Mario games? o_O

I'm just sick of people comparing Geno to Bowser Jr. in this thread... if one doesn't get in, it probably WON'T be because the other one got in... and they could still get in. Seriously, they're not "competing".

But yeah, let's get back to Geno.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman

No.

*facepalm* That's my first time I've done that in the forum.

I think you're missing the point. What I'm simply trying to say is that Geno is unique on all levels, and that while you can argue that Bowser Jr. could have a similar moveset, he'll never be visually unique because he's a smaller version of Bowser. People think that's a horrible argument to have, but character selection-wise, I'd much rather have a wider span of visuals for characters, wouldn't you?

Visuals, whether or not you agree, are a big part of the game, are they not? They're certainly not the only thing I have wrong with Bowser Jr, and it's definitely not te only reason why I think he shouldn't be in. But it is a valid point nonetheless.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
*facepalm* That's my first time I've done that in the forum.

I think you're missing the point. What I'm simply trying to say is that Geno is unique on all levels, and that while you can argue that Bowser Jr. could have a similar moveset, he'll never be visually unique because he's a smaller version of Bowser. People think that's a horrible argument to have, but character selection-wise, I'd much rather have a wider span of visuals for characters, wouldn't you?

Visuals, whether or not you agree, are a big part of the game, are they not? They're certainly not the only thing I have wrong with Bowser Jr, and it's definitely not te only reason why I think he shouldn't be in. But it is a valid point nonetheless.
Luigi says hi.

(Sure, visuals are a huge part of the game, but Bowser Jr. has proved his significance by appearing in three Mario games already, so that can be overlooked)

Super Mario Whirled

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I was gone for a day and website was spawned from the awesomeness of the Alliance? I knew this thread was great, but now it's just... perfect. *points Star-Magi wand at haters/flamers/10-year olds*

@Oshiro Akina: Yes, I've seen that before. Genolover's a great artist... but I think she takes the "Japanese factor" over the edge a little too much. Big-eyed Geno gives me a strong urge to use those Men in Black memory erasers on myself. >_<

What in Miyamoto's name is everyone talking about? Bowser Jr. is the equivalent of Waluigi. Waluigi is the equivalent of a Luigi mutation gone wrong. We can't keep these two out of our Mario games, but we sure as anything can keep them out of Brawl.

Luigi says hi.
Have we stooped to comparing Luigi to Bowser Jr.? Quit that mess.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Geno had to compete with freaking Bowser and Peach in the Melee poll (as a Mario character) NO surprise he did poorly.
Exactly. In Melee it was more of "which character needs to be in." I mean, you can't have a game like Smash Bros. without Bowser or the likes. Characters like that take precedence over Geno, or even Sonic for that matter. I know that I would have voted that way even though I'm a huge Geno supporter.

But now that most of those characters are in the game it's more like "which character would I really want/would be really cool to be in." A completely different situation.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
It's not that I don't like Geno, but I hope he doesn't take up another third party slot. And if what you said about him being second party (though I don't know how that is possible), then I wouldn't mind his inclusion into the game.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
@Oshiro Akina: Yes, I've seen that before. Genolover's a great artist... but I think she takes the "Japanese factor" over the edge a little too much. Big-eyed Geno gives me a strong urge to use those Men in Black memory erasers on myself. >_<
I find Genolover's stuff to be really cute, but she tends to take the bishie factor a little too far. Geno is not some big-eyed bishie boy who is going to fall into the arms of a girl who is in love with him. He's a Star Guardian who took the form of a wooden doll. Tell me, how do you romantically kiss a doll?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
It's not that I don't like Geno, but I hope he doesn't take up another third party slot. And if what you said about him being second party (though I don't know how that is possible), then I wouldn't mind his inclusion into the game.
Geno is very different from the likes Megaman, Sonic, or other similar third parties.
This site explains why: (in the Geno's Legal Situation section):
http://nsider2.com/forums/Geno-Star-Heaven-t13783.html

But even if he was considered 3rd party I seriously doubt that Nintendo has pre-planned third party "slots" waiting to be filled. Especially so now that the "1-2 more slots" comment by Sakurai has been taken off the site, so I wouldn't worry about that :D.

Super Mario Whirled

Smash Journeyman
I find Genolover's stuff to be really cute, but she tends to take the bishie factor a little too far. Geno is not some big-eyed bishie boy who is going to fall into the arms of a girl who is in love with him. He's a Star Guardian who took the form of a wooden doll. Tell me, how do you romantically kiss a doll?
You don't, which sums up my point. -_-

But even if he was considered 3rd party I seriously doubt that Nintendo has pre-planned third party "slots" waiting to be filled. Especially so now that the "1-2 more slots" comment by Sakurai has been taken off the site, so I wouldn't worry about that :D.
Geno shouldn't be considered third party... should he? From what I've heard he's first party in Sakurai's eyes... meh, whatever. As long as he's in Brawl, I'm not Hip-Dropping the NOA building into the ground.

Okay, okay. I just had the weirdest suggestion ever: who wants to have a party when Geno is confirmed? Like... an online party. With friggin' ASCII balloons and everything.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Geno shouldn't be considered third party... should he? From what I've heard he's first party in Sakurai's eyes... meh, whatever. As long as he's in Brawl, I'm not Hip-Dropping the NOA building into the ground.

Okay, okay. I just had the weirdest suggestion ever: who wants to have a party when Geno is confirmed? Like... an online party. With friggin' ASCII balloons and everything.
Yea, I was just saying that even if he was 3rd party (which he isn't in the same sense that sonic ect. are) it wouldn't have any effect on his inclusion in Brawl.

Haha, I was thinking about that too :p. The boards are going to go ballistic XD.

D

Deleted member

Yea, I was just saying that even if he was 3rd party (which he isn't in the same sense that sonic ect. are) it wouldn't have any effect on his inclusion in Brawl.
It will effect the Brawl fans, Subspace Emissary and other in game options though. So, it could effect his inclusion.

Top Bottom