• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly...I do know that there's a mian hub that's...well, it seems like an observatory that runs on star energy or something. Is neat. And there are a BUNCH of little characters that look like Twink or Geno (with a face), so...it could be! Heck, the easter egg could just have one of them randomly say to you, "Oh, hello. I'm ♥♪!?. I feel like we've met before..."
That would be pretty awesome indeed.

I really hope that they add him as an Easter Egg now...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
It would be to late since it releases next Tuesday but IF it is there, that would be awesome.

Snakz

Smash Ace
I doubt Sakurai would release Geno BECAUSE of the release Mario Galaxy, i mean, look what he did for Halloween, practically nothing.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
He gave us a pumpkin! :D

He should just give us Geno's head or something >_>

Or a picture of a froggy stick. Even though it's Mallow's weapon I still love it!

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Anyone else having troubles getting to the nsider forum bout Geno?

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13783&hl=

Which is weird since it was accessable yesterday.

Anyways

Snakz: Fire Emblem released today, the new game, not the Marth one, anyways it released and there was a Fire Emblem related update so I bet you next Tuesday, if we don't get a new chracter this week, it will be Geno. And no I'm not making any bets =p

Hong

The Strongest
Too bad there are 101 things more likely to appear, such as music, an assist trophy or stage. Heck, since Miyamoto is a co producer, he could have a Galaxy stage in Brawl.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I doubt Sakurai would release Geno BECAUSE of the release Mario Galaxy, i mean, look what he did for Halloween, practically nothing.
You know that Zelda was revealed when The Phantom Hourglass came out? Halloween is just not a major holiday in Japan.

(That means, don't expect anything big on Christmas, it might happen though, they kinda celebrate it, but New Years = Japan Christmas, and I do think we will get something Mario related when Galaxy comes out)

Snakz

Smash Ace
Snakz: Fire Emblem released today, the new game, not the Marth one, anyways it released and there was a Fire Emblem related update so I bet you next Tuesday, if we don't get a new chracter this week, it will be Geno. And no I'm not making any bets =p
Really? hmm that's interesting

I wouldn't make any bets either, but it's still intriguing anyways, but if he does something for the release of Galaxy, it probably wouldn't be Geno unless he had a significant role in the game. No he'll probably reveal Luigi more likely for the release of Galaxy.

You know that Zelda was revealed when The Phantom Hourglass came out? Halloween is just not a major holiday in Japan.

(That means, don't expect anything big on Christmas, it might happen though, they kinda celebrate it, but New Years = Japan Christmas, and I do think we will get something Mario related when Galaxy comes out)
Alright, odds are he'll do something, i think that's established now, but like i said, Luigi is the most likely character revealed for that, but if not, Geno is next in line *kidnaps Bowser Jr.*

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
If Mario is going to get one more Rep it is going to be Geno. The only other person I can see being a threat to him is Bowser Jr. The only way that Bowser Jr. will get put in over Geno is if one of the following things happens.

A. Square really does own all rights to Geno, and doesn't want to hand them over.
B. Sakurai gets brainwashed
C. A Riot Group gets together and threatens to burn down Mr. Amada's home if they don't put Bowser Jr. in over Geno.

Though, they are all very unlikely it is still funny to think about.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
If Mario is going to get one more Rep it is going to be Geno. The only other person I can see being a threat to him is Bowser Jr. The only way that Bowser Jr. will get put in over Geno is if one of the following things happens.

A. Square really does own all rights to Geno, and doesn't want to hand them over.
B. Sakurai gets brainwashed
C. A Riot Group gets together and threatens to burn down Mr. Amada's home if they don't put Bowser Jr. in over Geno.

Though, they are all very unlikely it is still funny to think about.
Square is entitled to all their rights, but I doubt they'd hold him back. They have no other use for him but to charge Nintendo if they please, for his grand appearance.

It's not like they can use him in their franchise. He is really a 'star being' that is straight out of Nintendo. It'd be choppy on their behalf to not allow Nintendo to use him in Brawl, but to use him only in Superstar Saga.

I'd get so annoyed if they allowed Bowser Jr. on, he's not as significant as other characters. To me, he's on the same level with Waluigi and Daisy. He still lurks in Bowser's shadow much like Waluigi does with Wario and Luigi, and Daisy with Peach. I His character design would be too much like Bowser, and I can't help but think they'l lhave a similar move set.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
I could see Bowser Jr. having a varied moveset. He does use a paintbrush after all, and that is pretty unique right there.

I would say he has a better shot then Geno if it weren't for the fact that Geno is the second most popular character wanted for brawl right now. I know for a fact that he is in, so I am just waiting for his profile to come up now.

Also, it looks like we have major support.

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13783&hl=

That thread has a whole ton of info regarding Geno that may interest some of you guys.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
But would Sakurai and Nintendo be willing to fork out the big bucks to Square just to get a character that has appeared in 1.1 games?

Because if I was square I would be offended that they didn't ask for one of their real characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But would Sakurai and Nintendo be willing to fork out the big bucks to Square just to get a character that has appeared in 1.1 games?

Because if I was square I would be offended that they didn't ask for one of their real characters.
From everything I have learned, I am convinced they would now...I didn't use to be

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea but they could be like "You can have Geno for free... if you pay us one billion pounds to put in a Dragon quest character!"

Because seriously the Japanese will be peeved that Square gave Nintendo Geno instead of well... anything.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yhea but they could be like "You can have Geno for free... if you pay us one billion pounds to put in a Dragon quest character!"

Because seriously the Japanese will be peeved that Square gave Nintendo Geno instead of well... anything.
Why would they? Geno was voted #1 most wanted character for Brawl on a lot of Japanese Brawl fan sites...

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Was he? Because Dragon quest is like the most popular game series of all time ever in the history of the universe that exists all da time forever, ever in Japan.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I would think they will, afterall they managed to get Sonic (this is a big deal)... Who knows if Geno may have an appearence in Mario Galaxy, in addition Characters in the Mario Series have been looking more and more like Geno (I am referencing the villians; the new ones)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I would think they will, afterall they managed to get Sonic (this is a big deal)... Who knows if Geno may have an appearence in Mario Galaxy, in addition Characters in the Mario Series have been looking more and more like Geno (I am referencing the villians; the new ones)
Ok Geno fans this is a new low...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was he? Because Dragon quest is like the most popular game series of all time ever in the history of the universe that exists all da time forever, ever in Japan.
Maybe it is, but Geno has some really serious fans, somewhere there was a link that I'm trying to find about some stuff some fans have been doing to get Geno into Brawl...

Someone once delivered a 25 page essey of why Geno was worthy of Being in Brawl and a bunch of other stuff and delivered it personally...

Other series may be more famous, but Mario RPG never had a chance to become any kind of series, franchise or anything because Square left nintendo soon afterward

Desruprot

Smash Lord
The series was cut-off due to the Square-Change, but then it was reworked into the Paper Mario series, they sort of did a double-reversal...

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
Ummmm.. N00B ALERT!
I thought this thread would answer my questions....
1: WTF IS GENO?
2: WHY HIM COMPARED TO THE OTHER MARI RPG GUYS?
3: What was his unique skill or abilities?

It has, many times over... but I can help you there.

1) From wikipedia:
"An otherworldly traveler sent by a higher authority, whose real name is ♥♪!?, comes to Mario's world from Star Road to find the seven Star Pieces. Borrowing the form of Gaz's doll, Geno, a beam of light radiates from it bringing it to life, and he sets off searching for the Star Pieces. Since his name is hard to pronounce, he asks Mario and Mallow to call him "Geno", after the doll.[4] [5]

Encountering Mario and Mallow during his battle with Bowyer, Geno gladly accepts their help in battle. Defeating Bowyer, Geno explains to Mario and Mallow about his mission to find the Star Pieces and repair Star Road. Geno decides to travel with them to find the Star Pieces. Throughout the game, Geno offers advice to the party as a mystical sage-type figure. After destroying Smithy and reclaiming all seven Star Pieces, again a beam of light radiates from Geno, rendering the doll lifeless, and the otherworldly traveler bids farewell to his allies in order to repair Star Road."

2) Of the 5 party members in SMRPG, 3 of em are already in SSBB. The two remaining are Geno and Mallow. Geno is more popular of the two because he is the calm/cool guy in the party who had wit and a good sense of humor. Mallow was the crybaby, even though his black mage-esque powers were awesome. This is not even mentioning Geno's cool moveset (number 3 will describe that).

3) First off, the idea of him being a puppet has endless possibilties, becasue any type of magic/poison/abilities can be loaded into a puppet (why do I think Naruto when I think this?). Well anyways back to Geno's moveset. He has a bunch of cool/flashy abilities such as Geno Whirl, which can kill almost anything except bosses (lol Exor) in 1 hit. Geno Blast looks awesome, Geno Flash is also awesome too. One of my personal favorite moves of his is Geno Boost, because it boosts an ally's attack and defense for a few turns. Also, Geno can pump out a lot of damage too, even though his defenses are a little low.

Hope this answered all your questions.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
For some reason, using the word 'gun' when referring to Geno just sounds flat-out weird. He shoots pellets from his fingers and elbows, and they don't even penetrate the surface he's shooting at.

Regardless, I don't believe that the 'No Guns in Brawl' rule applies to Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason, using the word 'gun' when referring to Geno just sounds flat-out weird. He shoots pellets from his fingers and elbows, and they don't even penetrate the surface he's shooting at.

Regardless, I don't believe that the 'No Guns in Brawl' rule applies to Geno.
If Missiles can get in, I don't see why Geno's BB's can't...

Cannonballs are already in in some form so Geno can have them too

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Just a thought:

Sonic was originally supposed to be revealed a few weeks before Dec. 3rd, presumably to raise hype for the game. Obviously that changed with the delay. It seems they chose to reveal him early to "distract" us from the delay (just a guess).

I was thinking that since Geno is in high demand (especially in Japan apparently) perhaps he would be revealed later than sooner; near the game's release to create hype.

This is really just pure conjecture, thought I'd throw it out there though :p.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. King Dedede, Ike, and Diddy were all just as popular as Geno and got revealed earlier than him.
Yeah, but known of those are owned by a separate company. Geno is still under Square so that is the only thing that may end up keeping him out of brawl.

That's what makes him so interesting.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
The only reason that Cecilbartz hates Geno so much is because of one of the following reasons:

1. His father caught him playing with his SMRPG and decided to clean out his anal cavity with his cleanin stick
OR
2. He had an uncle named Geno that liked to take him out fishing if you know what I mean.

Either way, judging by the way he posts I can tell it has something to do with inappropriate touching of some kind.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
From http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13783&hl= <(Added this page to wiki)

"The legal situation surrounding Geno (and Vaati) is not the same as Sonic and Megaman. Yes, Geno is third party and owned by Square Enix but Nintendo really has more say in the character. Why? Because Geno was in a Mario game (a first party franchise owned by Nintendo) that makes him a Mario character. There's no getting around that. Because of this, Square Enix cannot legally use him outside of this context because (as the copyright says at the end of all Mario games) Nintendo owns all the scenarios that occur in the Mario games. Geno was part of the story in Super Mario RPG thus pulling him into the scenario AKA the story and plot points of the game. My point was proved both during the offical Melee and Brawl polls when Geno was, despite his legal situation, categorized as a Mario character and seperated from the other third party characters."

"Now that is cleared up, let me explain things further. Because Geno is a Mario character, Square Enix cannont legally refuse Nintendo the rights to him if they wish to use them nor use him outside the context of a Mario game unless Nintendo is involved with the project. In the end, Nintendo basically controls the situation surrounding him and that makes Geno pretty much worthless to Square Enix. For further proof of this, ask yourself this: Why was Geno in a Mario game that Square Enix played no part in developing? Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga was developed by Nintendo and Alpha Dream. It is even questionable whether or not Square Enix recieved some of the profits based on Geno's inclusion in the game."

"Now let's compare Geno with Sonic. Sonic makes millions of dollars for Sega every year and is their biggest icon. Geno is a character that was playable in one game that sold about 2 million copies worldwide more then a decade ago and has basically been sitting in a filing cabinet since 2003. See a difference? I certainly do."

"So there you have it. Geno's legal situation laid out in black and white. Yes, Nintendo will still have to get permission to use him and probably have to pay a minor fee (would you like to compare the "rental" cost of Sonic's or Megaman's copyrights to Geno's?) for him but, in the end, Geno is very, very different from other third party characters."

Top Bottom