• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm new to the competitive Smash scene. I really enjoy playing Falco, but I think I need a lot of work. Unfortunately I don't really have anybody to play Smash with, but I'll be moving to SC pretty soon and I'd like to start playing forreal.
http://youtu.be/V6kZq3T0mo0
I responded on your video

ClockRoach

Smash Rookie
So i'm definitely new to the whole competitive aspect of melee. Been playing it casually until i saw the smash documentary like a ton of other people. Been trying to look up a solid video for edgeguarding options with falco (which i'm sure he has plenty of options.) If anyone can throw me a link to a solid video for this that'd be great.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I responded on your video
Yeah thanks for that. I gotta figure out the right timing for walljumps like that. Also I'll have to experiment with attacks out of SHL's.
This brings me to a question. I've seen some videos where people seem to almost waveland after SHFFLed moves, but how? I think what I'm seeing is just SHFFL -> immediate wavedash but if I'm wrong correct me.

I think I've improved a bit more since that video I posted. I may upload another soon. I've been dabbling with Fox too, I'm enjoying his play. It's hard trying to go from Falco to Fox though. They really do feel a lot different.

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
So i'm definitely new to the whole competitive aspect of melee. Been playing it casually until i saw the smash documentary like a ton of other people. Been trying to look up a solid video for edgeguarding options with falco (which i'm sure he has plenty of options.) If anyone can throw me a link to a solid video for this that'd be great.
There are lots. While holding the edge, if you pull the opposite direction on your control stick you can drop from the edge and double jump into any aerial and back onto the stage. Useful mostly with bairs if they are off the stage, but its tricky, I can't even get them right most of the time but with practice it's very possible. Also useful if they go over you and back on the stage you can hop back up and put up a fair wall or get them with a nair if they want to try to drop you off the edge (if that is the situation.) Falco's side B acts as a spike (I THINK, someone please correct me if I'm wrong! Meteor's and spikes are different because meteor's can be cancelled by jumping at the right time) so sometimes you can side B sweetspot the ledge and spike them downwards to the abyss. You can also do the ledge drop technique and shine jump cancel into bair if they are at a percentage that you can reach them with your double jump.
While onstage you can also dair spike people to their death, but it can be risky on some stages like Yoshi's Story. If you try to short hop and dair off stage you're likely going to kill yourself. Sometimes it's better to full hop fast fall dair and sort of drop the dair onto them as they are recovering as usually you'll have enough time for the dair to finish, double jump, and recover. If you stand at the very edge of the stage you can sometimes just wait for them to get close to grabbing the edge and you can just SHFFL a dair without actually going offstage and it will connect. I don't think that short hop lasers are a useful edgeguard, but you might be able to bait someone with it by hitting them with your lasers to give them free recoveries and dairing them (or something) offstage. That's probably really risky though, I've never tried it before so I don't make promises with that one.
There are the simple ones like backward wavedash to edge grab or short hop backflip to edge grab but those are pretty obvious.
Those are all of the ones I can think of at the moment. Anyone else please feel free to add more or give input on these. Correct me if I'm wrong as well, I don't want to give out false information, but for the most part I'm pretty sure these are viable edgeguarding tactics.

EDIT: I think pillaring could also be a potential edgeguard option. In case you don't know, pillaring is basically shine jump cancel -> dair -> shine jump cancel -> dair and so on. If timed correctly you can bring people all the way to the edge with it, so you could also shine them at the edge and jump into dair and spike them off.

Sorry about the double post. ^_^''

Last edited:

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah thanks for that. I gotta figure out the right timing for walljumps like that. Also I'll have to experiment with attacks out of SHL's.
This brings me to a question. I've seen some videos where people seem to almost waveland after SHFFLed moves, but how? I think what I'm seeing is just SHFFL -> immediate wavedash but if I'm wrong correct me.

I think I've improved a bit more since that video I posted. I may upload another soon. I've been dabbling with Fox too, I'm enjoying his play. It's hard trying to go from Falco to Fox though. They really do feel a lot different.

Send me a video with a timestamp to show what you mean

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Send me a video with a timestamp to show what you mean
Well apparently I haven't posted enough to send links yet, but search for V3ctorman (Yoshi) vs Axe (Falco)
Watch how Axe plays. You can see it almost immediately in the first match. He seems to wave out of his SHFFL's perfectly O.o

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Well apparently I haven't posted enough to send links yet, but search for V3ctorman (Yoshi) vs Axe (Falco)
Watch how Axe plays. You can see it almost immediately in the first match. He seems to wave out of his SHFFL's perfectly O.o
I think hes just wavedashing right after it yeah pretty simple just practice

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Any big falco player will show this just search up PPMD or mango
as for edgeguarding its pretty simple with falco check out VGBCs youtube channel

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I think hes just wavedashing right after it yeah pretty simple just practice
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely start practicing that.
I have another question.
When trying to approach with SHFFL'd nairs I can never consistently keep my momentum. It's like I run at them, short hop, nair, and instead of going forward I just sort of stop and drop where the nair hits. I've noticed that sometimes the momentum with keep if I dash with enough speed into it, or to dash, hop, let off of stick, nair, push stick forward again and that works but sometimes it goes into fair.
I guess it's just all practice x)

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely start practicing that.
I have another question.
When trying to approach with SHFFL'd nairs I can never consistently keep my momentum. It's like I run at them, short hop, nair, and instead of going forward I just sort of stop and drop where the nair hits. I've noticed that sometimes the momentum with keep if I dash with enough speed into it, or to dash, hop, let off of stick, nair, push stick forward again and that works but sometimes it goes into fair.
I guess it's just all practice x)
If you L cancel the nair and grab or d d tilt afterwards you should keep momentum

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
If you L cancel the nair and grab or d d tilt afterwards you should keep momentum
Well I mean that he sort of just stops in the air before landing, like I lose all momentum before I hit the ground.
But I think I've figured it out now.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Well I mean that he sort of just stops in the air before landing, like I lose all momentum before I hit the ground.
But I think I've figured it out now.

Ok good luck! hope you do well with you falco :)

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Ok good luck! hope you do well with you falco :)
Thanks! :D
I've been practicing wavedashing out of SHFFL's, WOW what a game changer. Followups are so much more possible once you can learn that. I had a bit of trouble with the timing after some moves like fair and bair but it was pretty easy with some practice. Still having a little trouble with doing dashed SHL's, sometimes I can get the right laser height and sometimes I can't but I'mma keep at it.
I need to stop switching from Falco to Fox all the time because it really messes with my timing with Falco (especially his wavedash).

Splice

Smash Hero
Hello, could I please get some analysis friends?

Falco ditto best of 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VQ8hB8X9w
What did the Blue Falco (me) apply well on FD (i won) that I didn't apply well on Dreamland (where I lost)? What are some things you noticed that I did well and badly and also my opponent. Feel free to watch the whole thing but Dreamland and FoD are the matches I'm most curious about. I'm not interested in advice on the YS match as much.

Fox vs Falco best of 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_y8H9pwEY
Not me, but what could the Falco have done to win this match? What advantages was the Fox playing on to win this set?

Falco vs Peach best of 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwuVaN5cWM
I am the Falco. When I fail edgeguards etc., what would have been more appropriate (like what could I have done at 2:06 and other times like that) and what misconceptions do I appear to have in this matchup? Are there any things that I am doing right?

Any comments would be great especially timeline stuff if you happen to have the time.
Also interested in what you think of the decision making during neutral game.
Your perspective would be appreciated!! Thankyou

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
So I recently played one of Texas's best in some MMs and wanted some criticism.

Set 1 is vs Peach a match up I hate
Set 2 is against Fox
Against Fox: Your tech skill looked kinda atrocious. Lots of missed wds out of shines, and general sloppiness. You also looked pretty uncomfortable with your ledge options, get confident with your tech skill there otherwise you'll die a lot more than you need to.

You look like you're focusing too much on hitting Fox. Think more about cutting off Fox's options. If you try too hard to catch Fox, you're gonna fight a losing battle cuz Fox is like a billion times faster than you. Force him into corners with bair and utilt. If he is above you, whether in the air or on a platform, and your back is facing him, there is pretty much nothing he can do to challenge bair or utilt, so use that to your advantage.

Lots of opportunities where you could've punished a run-off bair from the side platform with just a simple utilt. Also, pro-tip: both bair and utilt hit through yoshi's side platforms. Part of why that stage is Falco Story.

Anytime you watch Falco vids, watch out more for bair/utilt placement because that **** *****. Also, work on your followups, I saw less death combos than should be healthy for Falco. Utilt/shine are both amazing at extending combos in ways you couldn't even believe. Watch your vid again and watch out for situations where you could've picked a more optimal choice or positioned yourself better for more rewarding reaction scenarios.

xman

Smash Cadet
He's not fast falling I canceling. He doesn't follow up his aerials. He keeps landing in front of ganon after an aerial which leaves him open for a shield grab. He needs to start moving more he can't just stand after an attack. He gets knocked of stage after a double jump a falco with no double jump off stage is good as dead. The majority of his approches are double jump dair which is predictable to start with. He does smash attacks which has a lot of lag after it comes out he needs to make sure if he makes those desicion they better hit cause they are easily punishable needs to learn how to to shine under a platform and waveland onto it. He needs to learn to ledge tech, mix up his recovery. If he sees ganon jumping off stage to follow falco he should drop more instead of double jumping into edge guards

Twhy

Smash Rookie
I'm at the very start of the video, so here is me being a scrub against a yoshi. I don't think i'm going to play falco anymore, but tear me apart for being bad at melee. Also the finals of melee singles was pretty good if i remember correctly if you're down to watch for like 4 hours.

things i noticed about myself after watching this like 1000 times
  • I'm way to willing to get hit/trade hits
  • I should be more patient with approaching in general
  • I could lazer wayyyy more
  • I suck at side b to edge/ledge cancel
http://www.twitch.tv/eitherian/c/5070320

edited in link

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I finally got some video of my play and holy crap I didn't realise I played so badly! Here are two videos, the first against PheX (Peach) from germany, I got wrecked as expected but I was hoping someone could talk a little bit about the strategy of the Falco vs. Peach match up. Theres a local dude who basically just cc downsmashes everything if I don't spend a tedious few minutes lasering him up to 30-40%. Is this just what has to happen or are there better strategies.

The second video is against a local icies player and I noticed I roll way too much after getting hit by iceblocks. I guess I need to work on my wd out of shield way harder. I also can't shine OOS for ****.

Any advice apart from the obvious "stop rolling so much" would be much appreciated!

Video 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgkE1w7UNk&list=UUdLdcHLK79cPEC7eC9v36Aw

Video 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8L7DyYogvQ&list=UUdLdcHLK79cPEC7eC9v36Aw

kelots

Smash Cadet
Regarding video 2:

Firstly my advice can be taken with a grain of salt since (as anyone who watches the set can attest to) i'm not very good in the scheme of things!

Secondly - I was tanked in this tourney, take advantage of how drunk i am. I don't even remember playing this set! Do some of your crazy fast falco stuff and i won't know wtf is going on :D

Watching now here are my notes FWIW:
-You're lazering and throwing out attacks, i'm just shileding cos you're not mixing up with a grab at all, which would beat my shielding. i don't think you grab me once? Falco has a sweet grab on ice climbers IIRC (i don't play vs ice climbers when i'm falco often given i'm the only one in our group) but i think fthrow hits both so is safe and has good follow up options
-i'm pretty obviously sitting in shield/desyncing and fishing for grabs so throwing stuff on the front of my shield isnt safe (unless you are attempting to bait a shield grab while you do that cool falco aerial > lcancel > shine to cover my shield grab but not executing?) Watch again and count how many times i shield grab - you especially off your dash attack - those grabs should be stocks but my this tourney was my worst ever grab execution (watch the last game i can't even dthrow dair. this was happening all night so i'd given up and was just nana smashing :S)
-Look out for wavedash downsmash, especially if i've got my back to you or wavedashing through you. it hits out the back first and comes out fast
-around 2:48 i'm throwing out desynced smash attacks and you are just throwing out haymakers, what is the thought process here? I can tell you mine: "gargh why did i get so drunk i can't execute any grab combos this is so annoying grargh grag" and button mashing the c stick, not sure how it got a kill
-mix up your options from hanging on the ledge, e.g. 5:08, 6:56 and a few earlier, you do the climb up thingy every time. falco has some sweet options here and i catch onto you doing the same thing and start punishing it from about 5 minutes.

Some questions/food for thought
- What is your overall gameplan (feel free not to tell me, but have a think about it). From neutral what is your plan to approach/your approach options?
- Falco has some great tools for separating the ice climbers, which ones are you utilising and how do you plan to set them up?
- Once separated, what is the fastest way to kill nana without getting into a laggy move that Popo could punish?
- My goal is to grab you most of the time, what is your plan to counter/avoid that occuring?

Hope this helps in some way haha happy to jam whenever.

I came here to look for notes on the falco v peach matchup so i can practice my counter cos screw Pino and his cc downsmash goodness :p

kelots

Smash Cadet
Also yeah i roll like crazy especially at the start hahaha. for ice blocks i'm usually just throwing them out to trade with laser and no real plan after that, something i should fix :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Alright fellas. What am I doing wrong versus marth. The matches are close, but I don't actually know the matchup, fully, Im just kinda winging it here. Can you point out instances where I am passing up guaranteed stuff etc? Because I want to get to the point where I am convincingly two-stocking marth, not barely hanging on by a thread and then unable to finish him off on the last stock haha.

Last edited:

SjowMeYourMoves

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm a falco player from a small town near Toronto, Ontario and I've been playing competitive smash for somewhere between 6-12 months. I don't travel to Toronto nearly as much as I want to because of expenses but I've helped build a decent smash community where I live.

I have 3 videos here I would just like some criticism on, and I'm sorry for some of the bad quality we don't have a good recording setup yet we are working on getting a good quality mic+capture card. If anyone has advice for a capture card too that would be great just send me a PM.

https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=p2CCaGYZ13c&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw
https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=T0h-jcnIt4E&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw
https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=BRV2jPDb67M&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw

The first video is Falco vs Captain Falcon
The second video is Falco vs Fox
The third video is Falco vs Sheik(one of the hardest matches for me)

I don't have enough posts to post links yet so sorry for this format as well!
Thanks for reading!

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Hi fellow Falcos :) I was hoping for some critique on some videos of mine.
These recent videos are actually from a tournament I won, so I am sorry I don't have any vids where I actually lose any sets or anything. But I still think much can be learned!

I have been noticing lately that I struggle a bit with the ditto. When the opposing Falco has laser control, I tend to panic and double jump over the lasers. I know this is bad but I am not sure what else to do besides shield -> SHL out of shield and try to gain control that way. So here are a few sets, including Winner's Finals(against a Falco) which I played pretty sloppy and had a close set as a result.

I am Neutral coloured Falco in all sets.

Falco Vs Falco(WF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHT2m0GOrg

For Contrast, Grand Finals, which I performed way better in(might have to do with matchup). Start at 10:30, I fool around with other characters before then
http://youtu.be/lMJslwCOd44?t=10m32s

Last vid I have, another not so close one unfortunately... really hope you guys can still help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBPD3PXF70s

Anything you notice would be greatly appreciated. This is a great board. Thanks everyone.

Kim Steinbach-Reif

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, I'm getting rekt by my brothers Fox constantly and I just crumble under the pressure. I know I need to practice my tech skill with Falco but I also need to figure out what I can do in general to go around Fox's pressure. Below is three games of us playing friendlies, critique away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg1aZHXaW8&list=UUk0KQSajfT6UfykBVpBxEmg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf2FcyGlBIo&list=UUk0KQSajfT6UfykBVpBxEmg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8eJdg3zJ4&list=UUk0KQSajfT6UfykBVpBxEmg

Last edited:

Towel

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm getting rekt by my brothers Fox constantly and I just crumble under the pressure. I know I need to practice my tech skill with Falco but I also need to figure out what I can do in general to go around Fox's pressure. Below is three games of us playing friendlies, critique away!
I only watched the first video. I'm a mid level player so think about my advice, don't take it as law.

Practice wavedashing and l cancelling more. You are dropping combos and leaving yourself vulnerable.

Be careful when landing near fox, he's going to punish you with his speed.

When you are on the ledge around 1min in, focus on getting back on stage and in the middle, you go for a run off bair but being off stage with falco is a terrible place to be.

Last stock was exactly that, off stage = dead bird

sadistic

Smash Cadet
This is just an hour long mass of friendlies between a friend and I, so I don't expect anyone to look through more than a few of the games. Could someone give me advice on general things I did wrong? I know my edgegaurding is garbage, what are some alternatives to what I'm doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kv4ZuD_fic

xIdkwtS

Smash Rookie
NNID
IdkwtS
Hey everyone, am I allowed to post Project:M gameplay regarding Falco? I have no access to Melee and would really like tips on my Falco but there doesn't seem to be a place to post videos and get feedback on the PM forums.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
http://www.twitch.tv/makerhouse/b/623974613 vs XTR|Medz @ 5:17:25, grand finals.

Super technical play like this is not something I'm very experienced at fighting, Until recently, I was one of the premier technical players in my state, so it's weird being on the receiving end of hyper aggression.

I definitely need some critique. xD

Sylmar

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, i've been having trouble in the Sheik matchup and get bodied by this guy regularly.
/watch?v=cuP0tW0YgYQ

Note: He resets the bracket on me. Don't watch the first set (start at 16:14): I play sloppy because I'm tryna get my head in the game and focus up, and I make alot of obvious errors that I'm aware of. I know I have a bad habit of spot-dodging alot. Any tips?

EDIT: I noticed that I play my best by far in match 3 of set 2. Critique that as well if you can, since that's what I look like when my hands are doing exactly what my mind tells them to haha.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
@ Vixen Vixen That was pretty awesome your tech is super crisp. I don't really have any useful advice except to suggest maybe play around with using grab more often as mix ups? I think I only saw 2 or 3 in the set.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I'm a Fox player who is switching to Falco just cause the combos are way cooler, but I feel like I make a lot of fundamental errors. Here is a few friendlies between me and a friend (sorry its not YouTube, for some reason yt deletes the audio but twitch doesn't)

http://www.twitch.tv/joetang0/c/6180440

Also I know I SD a lot still working on that

Thanks!!

Top Bottom