• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
looking for some advice on what im doing wrong and what i should be doing instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFiY-8gbU8&feature=channel_video_title
okay well, first off, the Dr. PeePee thread has become the place for video critiques, for your future information. I'll try to drop a little knowledge here though.

Immediately you commit super hard to an unsafe aerial with no knowledge of what your opponent might do. Try to avoid that...

around :09, you land a dair shine and WD the wrong way. This is acceptable if the dair misses and the shine lands, but if the dair hits you have tons of time to hit-confirm and choose the right decision to WD in. your followup given what youve done is reasonable but you should endeavour to just do the right thing earlier.

at :12 your bair wasn't spaced quite right, but you didnt get punished for it. you should have moved while you had the chance; the utilt gave him an obvious free grab. i love utilting people's shields on platforms and getting grabbed, too, but it's really not worth it.

around :15 you're lasering under a platform waiting for him to make a move, which is awesome! then you stop lasering, he makes a move, and you just sorta stand around. you had the right idea, just stick to your guns when you're doing the right thing. you could have easily clipped his landing nair with a laser and gotten a grab/pressure.

around :18-:22 you do some awesome stuff. im not sure if it's conscious or just you wanting to throw out hitboxes because youre impatient, but you did a good job of hitting where he was trying to move to.

:34 again coming down frmo high, very telegraphed, with an unsafe aerial landing. you have to do two things differently here: 1) pick how you come down from the platforms better, and 2) only throw out an aerial if it's more safe than not throwing an aerial. This is hard to learn, but throwing out an aerial as you fall because it's comfortable is not always the right idea.

:38 aerials with no momentum should almost never be drifted towards your opponent; it makes it too easy for them to punish you. there are situations where you have advantage (e.g. sheik just dsmashed your shield) but try to avoid it.

:40 you do it again but in an even worse situation

:45 nice try with that fsmash. its a good idea to keep around but you have to have a little more knowledge about what your opponent actually does in those situations for it to work out.

:57 this is a difficult thing to realize without tons of experience, but OF COURSE falcon as gonna have a hitbox out there. dont try to challenge him when you're not really in a position to.

:59 i cant believe that hit because falcon could so easily have DD'd more and grabbed/naired you. be careful.

the rest of G1 is a lot of the same - challenging in positions you cant win, unsafe and uncalledfor aerials, etc. falcon isnt as bad as people pretend, you have to respect his options and play around them a lot. also i dont think you grabbed once, and there were a few obvious technical mishaps that you can discern on your own.

Hope this helped! and don't take it as super mean, I'm kinda negative im my critiques and have gotten called out on it before :-\ you did plenty of things right, these are just big areas to improve on.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
hey thanks a lot for the advice! will try the approaching from platforms/just throwing out bad aerials out and hopefully things will improve.

and thanks for the tip about the dr pee pee thread. will try my luck there

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Some friendlies I recorded-

vs sheik

vs ganon

I wasn't quite playing at my best so I ****ed up a few times, but I still have a lot to work on with tech skill anyway and of course it shows :p

Any tips are appreciated.

Starkiller2

Smash Cadet
Yay, the critique-my-falco thread. I have a video of my falco from a friendly tournament I played in a few months ago. It was my first unveiling of my falco, and prior to I had been playing Marth and Fox, mostly. Anyways, I have looked the matches over countless times and found many missed l-cancels, shines, SHL, etc. I also never used the uptilt :((except once). Please give my friends (and myself) great patience, as they do not use advanced tech skill. Mine isn't good; still learning but I have improved since this (but still haven't gone to any real competition, will get on that). Plz PM me as I may not check this thread that often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3K6VsDiAI

mixa

Banned via Warnings
yo I wanna do a video on edge cancels (64) and I need some clean Phantasms from Falco.

links anyone?

Time

Smash Rookie
I mainly want overall feedback. More specifically: I want to know what steps I have to take in order to compete at a competitive level, better edgeguarding techniques, how to prevent gimping such as at 3:00 in video 1, and how to prevent the other "preventable deaths," in the videos below:

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJ6XAKVfOs

Video 2 (solid match, just couldn't finish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5agIFi2Vgo

Video 3 (almost got four stocked): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgL1wgxpRDE

Short Clip of me losing a stock quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXnA8sQVtZI

If anybody takes the time to watch even one video and give your opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
I mainly want overall feedback. More specifically: I want to know what steps I have to take in order to compete at a competitive level.
If you're going to play falco, your tech skill needs to be on point. So that needs a lot of work. Faster SHLs, better overall movement/control of your character, and just faster overall play is of utmost importance for being able to compete at a competitive level. Even more important than that, though, is finding a competitive opponent to practice against. Why does that marth keep up/down smashing so much? Tell the marth to ask for help on the marth boards, because you'll never improve if you don't play against someone who really challenges you.

Aside from just raw tech skill (which should be your main concern for now), you roll way too much. Pretty much all of your rolls could be replaced with lasers. I'm not saying you should never roll; rolling is a great option when you're stuck in shield or getting pressured with jabs/tilts. But rolling as a way of moving around the stage does nothing good for you. It gives up stage control, it leaves you vulnerable, and it uses up time that could be spent pressuring your opponent with lasers. When you get distance from marth, try just adding in a laser. Definitely work on getting faster SHLs, I feel like that might be the reason you're not using as many lasers as you could be using. If you don't like lasers, then dash dance into a mixed approach.

Speaking of approaches, work on approaching with SHFFL'd dairs and nairs. Make sure you're spacing them properly, too. I see you missing with a lot of your approaches. You tend to approach with fairs, dash attacks, or fsmashes. None of those tend to be good approach options. Dash attack is slow, telegraphed, and easily punished. It's a high-risk, low reward type of situation that can easily be avoided by not doing it. Fair is just outclassed by nair. Fsmash is slow, easily punished, and too hard to follow up even if it does land. Falco is a highly combo-centered character, so you want to approach with moves that can lead to combos. On that note, practice combos. Seriously. Every time you land a hit with falco, it should lead to at least one more hit. In most instances, you should be able to string 3-4 attacks together every time you win an exchange. Also, try to end these combos by pushing your opponent off-stage. But that isn't your concern right now. Here are a few things to work on:
  1. Tech Skill (SHFFL, SHL, nair/dair into shine, wavelanding)
  2. Pillar combos (shine into dair into another shine/utilt)
  3. Lasering (reverse lasers, standing SHL, retreating/approaching lasers, dash dance lasers)
Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Hey guys I'd appreciate any advice you guys have to give on my Falco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLf4UxYFxQ

Someone told me that I should play more patiently so if anyone could point out specific instances of where I'm rushing things that would be greatly appreciated
IMO it's less that you're impatient and more that you don't really know when to go in or have a detailed plan about how. Shooting lasers from afar is more an annoyance than anything, but being able to weave in and out of the opponent's comfort zone makes you a threat because you'll have the threat of a possible approach. Then you're at your leisure to either approach or bait a bad reaction from your opponent.

Beyond that, work on techskill. You're still a bit slow for a falco, work on moving asap out of aerials or really anything you do. Learn to waveshine in your combos. Also, learn out of shield ptions, such as shine out of shield, wavedash out of shield, etc.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
IMO it's less that you're impatient and more that you don't really know when to go in or have a detailed plan about how. Shooting lasers from afar is more an annoyance than anything, but being able to weave in and out of the opponent's comfort zone makes you a threat because you'll have the threat of a possible approach. Then you're at your leisure to either approach or bait a bad reaction from your opponent.

Beyond that, work on techskill. You're still a bit slow for a falco, work on moving asap out of aerials or really anything you do. Learn to waveshine in your combos. Also, learn out of shield ptions, such as shine out of shield, wavedash out of shield, etc.
Great advice, thank you

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
You need to practice tech skill here's a small list of things you should try to practice:

-l-canceling and then shining immediately after
-when you're beneath someone on a platform learn how to jump -> shine like right beneath the platform they're on -> waveland this is an incredibly useful tool (watch dr peepee abuse it vs kage at apex here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-AvkVn43Q)
-Learn some tricks to grab ledge quickly, here's two spacie falco/specific techniques: The "PC Chris" walk towards the ledge really fast and at the last possible second before you fall off turn around, your momentum should cause you to fall off but since you've turned around you will grab the ledge. I don't think there's a name for the next technique but basically what you do is run off the ledge -> shine -> jc -> up b (flame stall) to grab ledge, you can find an example of this technique in the falco tech trials on youtube in case you haven't seen that video already.
-Practice your SHL's. I saw you do like three standing lasers in a row
-Shine out of shield

Besides that try to work on your spacing and try to cut down on rolls.

Loopy

Smash Rookie
You need to practice tech skill here's a small list of things you should try to practice:

-l-canceling and then shining immediately after
-when you're beneath someone on a platform learn how to jump -> shine like right beneath the platform they're on -> waveland this is an incredibly useful tool (watch dr peepee abuse it vs kage at apex here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-AvkVn43Q)
-Learn some tricks to grab ledge quickly, here's two spacie falco/specific techniques: The "PC Chris" walk towards the ledge really fast and at the last possible second before you fall off turn around, your momentum should cause you to fall off but since you've turned around you will grab the ledge. I don't think there's a name for the next technique but basically what you do is run off the ledge -> shine -> jc -> up b (flame stall) to grab ledge, you can find an example of this technique in the falco tech trials on youtube in case you haven't seen that video already.
-Practice your SHL's. I saw you do like three standing lasers in a row
-Shine out of shield

Besides that try to work on your spacing and try to cut down on rolls.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Just watched first match, u didnt got stomped, you killed yourself 2 times with forward B, make very poor move choices to combo and didn't vary your approaches much.

Some advice:
-At high% dair into bair is the best choice, nair is much weaker than a solid bair.

-You seemed to be in auto attack mode all the time, your pattern was easy to read imo, it was something like this: laser, dash + laser, attack, move around for a second, laser or attack if close. Watch the first game and you can see this reapeating over and over again, super easy to punish in my book.

My advice to avoid being like this is to do more dash dance, wavedash, maybe go into the platforms to avoid projectiles, and bait your opponent, you seemed to have pretty good techskill so you should be able to move around the stage safely.

To be more clear, you can do the exact same approaches but wait a bit in between, here I'll give you some examples:

1. laser + dash laser + retreat wavedash, dash dance 1 second, retreat laser, jump on the high platform, etc. (if you see an opening, like she misses an attack trying to get close and whatnot you should punish).

2. no laser this time, dash forward, empty backward shorthop, dash dance a bit, laser then attack.

Any mix up without lasers can work well if you've been shooting some before and your opponent expects it so much that he always shields or even attempts to powershield (try doing delayed SHL so that falco doesn't even shoot the laser, laugh while you watch your opponent shield)

Throwing attacks over and over again is the dumb way to play this game, and I don't care how much tech skill you have. That samus is BAD imho, she could have punished you harder. The only attempt outside of that was done at 3:26 but you were not patient enough to wait for her reaction and thus you missed the bair. Work on your approaches, like I said before.

-You cant shine combo samus, use delayed dair/nair + utilt instead, fair works stupidly well if you can land it on midair, beware of her CC. Always try to dair her when she's off stage, smashes don't work really well, samus has good endurance and a ridiculous recovery. Any well timed aerial goes through missiles.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Thanks of your advice; I've heard of my predictability and impatience, and it's definitely something I'll improve on.
you can do the exact same approaches but wait a bit in between
I haven't heard this one before; this is interesting. There are a ton of things I can do to help my neutral game, so thanks for your specifics.
Throwing attacks over and over again is the dumb way to play this game, and I don't care how much tech skill you have.
Yup. yupyupyup.
You cant shine combo samus, use delayed dair/nair + utilt instead, fair works stupidly well if you can land it on midair, beware of her CC. Always try to dair her when she's off stage, smashes don't work really well, samus has good endurance and a ridiculous recovery. Any well timed aerial goes through missiles.
Yeah my combos were severely lacking as well as my edge guards. I see a lot of Falcos like to laser Samus' bomb jump and I didn't really do that at all.

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6JtNC__B4

critique plox. i don't get any peach experience outside tournies and it shows. I've already seen that I need to not hold down so much, and respect Peach's space when she's floating by spacing better and shooting fewer SHLs. i also need to WD OoS to turn situations around instead of panic shffls. the full hops/djs are something i only really do when flustered and playing against better players i haven't adjusted to (ShroudedOne and Mango are the only 2 i lost to in pools lol) I'll be working on playing a more grounded game. I don't ledgedash much (if at all) because i hadn't been comfortable with them, but as the day went on I learned the timing and now they're EZ. aside from that, if there's anything specific you see me doing wrong, please point it out. I can tell what I did wrong for the most part, but if there's a small option choice I could be doing better pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let me know. even if it's something like how i move around stage or react to certain things or how i fastfall

Last edited:

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm new to the competitive Smash scene. I really enjoy playing Falco, but I think I need a lot of work. Unfortunately I don't really have anybody to play Smash with, but I'll be moving to SC pretty soon and I'd like to start playing forreal.
http://youtu.be/V6kZq3T0mo0

Top Bottom