• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
PSing (powershining)? how bout for wolf, is shining too laggy?
Powershielding

Actually, Wolf's shine is very good because you are invincible at the start of the move, which allows you to dodge some attacks and instantly retaliate when the hitbox for shine comes out. ;)

its a C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Powershielding

Actually, Wolf's shine is very good because you are invincible at the start of the move, which allows you to dodge some attacks and instantly retaliate when the hitbox for shine comes out. ;)

its a C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Okay so don't really shine with FALCO powershield (ting)
and shine with wolf got it thx!

DRN

Smash Lord
I need advice, I feel like im missing some major stuff. I also have a really hard time killing, i always have to rack up dmg to dumb %'s just to get a stock off.
Thx in advance
Vs Dyno!(:wario:)
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_C9xqb9mQ
2) ok well i cant upload round 2 because the link has the letters "GAF" in a certain order and smashboards **'s it. I get ***** in it neway o well xD.
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmeCk8RJug&feature=related
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G0lYXr1m4&feature=related
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PJzgIUEgkU&feature=related
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzPrBDhEXko&feature=related
7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGDk1BLw9Y&feature=related

Vs BigLou( :snake: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYy_h9C5oM&feature=channel

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I need advice, I feel like im missing some major stuff. I also have a really hard time killing, i always have to rack up dmg to dumb %'s just to get a stock off.
Thx in advance
Vs Dyno!(:wario:)
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_C9xqb9mQ
2) ok well i cant upload round 2 because the link has the letters "GAF" in a certain order and smashboards **'s it. I get ***** in it neway o well xD.
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmeCk8RJug&feature=related
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G0lYXr1m4&feature=related
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PJzgIUEgkU&feature=related
6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzPrBDhEXko&feature=related
7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGDk1BLw9Y&feature=related

Vs BigLou( :snake: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYy_h9C5oM&feature=channel
This pretty much applies to all of your matches:

You roll and spot dodge a little too much.

Don't side B onto the stage if you don't have to. You were getting punished heavily for it by Dyno on the third game.

You were doing a good job predicting Dyno's get up attacks from the ground, but you mis-spaced yourself and got hit by the get up attack.

If Dyno tries to camp you and you're in the lead, just camp back with lasers. There is no reason for you to have to approach.

There were some instances where Dyno down smashed and missed. Instead of charging a forward smash and killing him, you just ftilted him or rolled into it.

More lasers. :)

Match with BigLou:

Pretty much the same thing, but don't reflector so much. It is much wiser to shield grenades rather than reflecting them.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Stealth. I agree with everything you saying except the "It is much wiser to shield grenades rather than reflecting them." Part.

That's a situational choice and also dependant on how much snake has cooked the grenades, if they've not been cooked or only half cooked, using the reflector at full range, is a decent enough choice if Snake is too far away for a punish.

If they are cooked, and will explode on contact, obviously shield them or spot dodge them.

If they aren't cooked, but Snake is close enough for a punish, sometimes you can just ignore them for a little bit, don't fret about them and manage something on Snake that's safe and moves you away from the hitbox of the nade.

Once you start noticing his preferred grenade height, you can start just lasering them as he throws them for some good damage as well.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I don't think it matters if you win a match. You can still be critiqued.

All I personally know about fighting Icies with Falco (or anything specific) is, phantams shouldn't be IAP in this matchup. I always find it MUCH more useful to do it above the height of his ice shots.

And secondly, this is entirely a match about who has to approach. Icies camp better than Falco. So we really have to find a way to get a small % lead and just play keep away.

I can't watch them atm though. I'll get to it later.

One thing I think a lot of people don't do though is grab against Ice Climbers, when it can be safe sometimes. Imo, back throw is quick enough for a seperation attempt, as long as you don't get predictable. And fthrow, while slower can stuff up some of the punishes they have, because you can hit the second climber with the attack part of the throw.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
@Stealth: If Mk has 45%+ you should add a jab after the down throw. It's good for some extra % and follow-ups. You could also LL the mk after the jab if he doesn't expect it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Too early for a laserlock.

Healer.
1 thing to remember, in all ways, a dash>shield>grab is better then dashgrab, so never dash grab (except in a CG : D)
Practice your DI, you can't play Falco while being hit horizontally.
More IAP (instant aerial phantasm), it's really good, more lasers if he's in the air.
You can stop your dair from fastfalling by holding your stick diagonally down/the direction you're facing
If you hold UP while being Dsmashed by pikachu, it will get you out of it. You will be thrown on the ground.
Now as soon as you're out, hold Down to reach the ground faster, then press L/R to tech, this way, you can punish his dsmash ^^
If you want to learn DI, start by throws, then multihits... the rest will come on it's own
Don't always use get-up-attack, mix it up.

This is typically how new players play, hehe. When I was as good as you now are I also started frequenting Smashboards and it helped me cause NOW IM THE BEST FALCO IN THE WORLD. In either way, keep playing, try to improve DI and your camping game, then repost a video ;)

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so when u say di, I'm not sure i'm doing it correctly, from what i know there are a few ways to DI, there are: DI-holding on the control pretty much perpendicular from where ur flyn, SDI- when stuck in an attack move ur control stick in a certain direction, i didn't know it was up tho thank you, and MC(momentum canceling)- fastest aerial attack in the opposite direction to ur flying. (I would like to know falcos best way to MC?)

swordsaint

Smash Master
I can't be expected to play a matchup right when matchup threads are outdated. =P

Teach me the matchup. Also, if I'm playing it wrong, it means there's a lot to say. =P

Denzi

Smash Master
Well I'll try.

Match 1:

You can get three buffered running grabs and a spike on Marth from 0%. Do that.
Go for the ledge unless he's on it, otherwise Marth has a lot of moves that easily hit through Phantasm.
Don't jab -> Shine. Just don't.
Ftilt is a good, quick move that you don't use enough.
Fsmash isn't safe on shield.
If you hit a shield with a dash attack, start charging an usmash. It's good shield pressure.

Match 2:

Don't shine unless your opponent has projectiles.
Double Jump -> Dair isn't the best way to get back to the stage. If he would've upB'd, you would've died.
Stop throwing out smashes, it isn't safe.
Again, Phantasm onto the stage vs Marth = bad.
Phantasm is better for resetting spacing than it is as a chaser.
I don't think Shaya knows the Falco mu 100%, because marth can upB or tipper Fair you out of your full jab combo.
Don't fall on your opponent with a Dair unless you land behind them.

THat's about it, I'll watch the other vid later.

swordsaint

Smash Master
The shine thing I already know, as well as the phantasm stuff. I wasn't thinking TOO much while playing him.

I didn't realise Falco could still chain grab Marth. How many frames do we got?

I don't recall jab > shining shining actually. I would never do that conciously....

I know I don't use the Ftilt enough, and it's mostly because i dont see what the move can do that other things can't. I know it's good though. What is it specifically used for? I can't use a move more if i dont know why I'm using it. =)

And I generally don't mean to dair and land in front, whenever I did that it was poor spacing on my part. I've actually really only started using Falco as a full-fledged main recently. Before that I dabbled in MK and Snake, have never played against Marth with Falco...

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Buffered running chaingrab owns marth

Shaya sucks at dealing with camping, limit aerial approaches with lasers, and limit grounded approaches with IAP, that's all there is to it. Platform taunt and receive the first hit to avoid the 0-death and the 42% chaingrab.

If he can't PS IAP and lasers 100% he has no chance against a good falco, for as far as my experience reaches ;) if he's under you and you are in a jump for a laser, just jump high and use your falling speed to reach the ground in safety. If you get caught in an IAP prepare to take a beating, so mix up cancels if you see he predicted it, or get better at mixing up phantasms. Often I only use a SHL instead of SHDL because marths shouldnt that the air against the laser, if he does SHDL is your best bet. SHL is better because you can replace the laser with a phantasm, in SHDL you cant.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Additionally, using dair on shield as crossup is unpunishable, by anyone for that matter. Don't try for the kill to much, even though it's probably your hardest hurdle to overcome. Make your own smash/kill setups, and marth is easily chaingrabbable outside of chaingrab percentages (ill make a extensive post about this later, forget this statement until then)

swordsaint

Smash Master
"marths shouldn't that the air against lasers" might wanna fix whatever you were saying there lol.

anyway, i reckon you xonar, should right up something like vlade did about toon link, except about marth

getting around to a TRUE match up help guide would be splendid for someone as bad as me =)

explain "cross up"

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
"marths shouldn't that the air against lasers" might wanna fix whatever you were saying there lol.

anyway, i reckon you xonar, should right up something like vlade did about toon link, except about marth

getting around to a TRUE match up help guide would be splendid for someone as bad as me =)

explain "cross up"
Marths shouldnt TAKE the air against lasers. Sorry I often think about multiple stuff at the same time.

cross up is if you land behind someone

swordsaint

Smash Master
Right, a lot of terminology I've missed out on by not visiting anything other than my own countries boards.

Haha, yeah I often go to type several things at once as well like that. What' s worse is I often speak the same way.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Please critique...^^^^2 posts up
I was watching the first vid up to 2:00 cuz my internet sux, with a passion. Anywho first of all take my "recommendations" and critiques with a grain of salt because I'm am learning and new just as you are. First one:
Might i recommend short hop lasering in the beginning of the match, because gives the person less chance to block it if it gets too predictable and if they jump, they get shot.

Loved the lasering.

I'd say falco's bair is pretty good (not like wolf's tho teehee) but it's good I'd recommend using it a bit more.

Lastly did you IAP? cuz i couldn't see it because of my terrible internet

That's my "critique" the other's will prove to be much useful than mine but I hope i helpd

Denzi

Smash Master
You roll too much.
Fsmash is worthless at low %s.
Don't AAA -> Shine.
If you hit their shield with a Dair, retreat or (preferably) land behind them. Landing in front is asking to be shield grabbed.
AAA isn't that good. A lot of chars can DI out -> aerial you.
Smashing repeatedly at nothing isn't the best idea.
Always Dthrow at low %. even on chars you can't CG, you can still Dthrow -> Dair -> followup.
Don't spam kill moves. You'll get punished.

Keep in mind that some of the things I tell you to do/not do don't work/work because you're on WiFi. My advice really only applies to offline.

Loaf of Bread

Smash Rookie
Hey, this looked like the correct place to ask for critiquing so here's a video of two friendlies matches between my friend and I. So if anyone would like to give me some advice on what to work on that would be great :) These were not exactly my best matches, but I guess it wouldn't be as useful if I were to post vids with the fewest mistakes. Anyway, thank you to whoever critiques my Falco. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1yZIHCgRc

--Loaf--

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Hey, this looked like the correct place to ask for critiquing so here's a video of two friendlies matches between my friend and I. So if anyone would like to give me some advice on what to work on that would be great :) These were not exactly my best matches, but I guess it wouldn't be as useful if I were to post vids with the fewest mistakes. Anyway, thank you to whoever critiques my Falco. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td1yZIHCgRc

--Loaf--
Good man.

Don't plan on killing w/ dair against better players.

Needs moar camping.

Practice SHDL.

When Lucario gets aggresive, he gets aggresive. So don't approach him and use shield and jabs and throws to get him off you.

On the second stock (lucario's) in match1, don't try gimping ANYONE like that, it never works.:snake:

Loaf of Bread

Smash Rookie
Thank you both for your responses. GunmasterLombardi, are you telling me to use shield, jabs, and throws to get him off of me, or not to. If not, what do you suggest I use to get him off? BleachigoZX, when you say I need to play faster, are you meaning that I am waiting too long in between attacks? If not, how do you suggest I increase the speed of my play style. Also any suggestions of strings of attacks would be great from your play styles (example: nair to neutral ground attack works well for me). Thanks again.

-- Loaf --

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
@Loaf:

Basics:

Use bair to momentum cancel, it's faster then uair. Don't ever use firebird as an attack. If your opponent is far away and you're just doing empty shorthops, do SHL or SHDL instead.

Other:

You can do something besides drop down > jump > phantasm as a ledge option, you know. At one point, your friend was standing at the middle of FD, completely telegraphing the fact that he knows you'll phantasm. You got grabbed soon after =D

Don't spam usmash when he's NEAR killing percent but not quite there yet, especially since he's Lucario. The way the stale moves system works, if he's at 110% and you use your usmash but he doesn't die, you now have to use 2 other moves besides usmash or land TWO more usmashes for a kill. Since he wants more damage becauase he's Lucario, you're screwing yourself over completely.

Moar lasers. Moar IAP.

Learn to time the dair so it spikes, I think you only had 2 succesful spikes out of 10 or something attempts. It usually isn't worth it to try unless you have a VERY good opening (intuition or practice, sorry). Examples: 1:13, 1:43, 2:43, 8:27, etc. If you don't feel you'll get punished use bair instead. If you simply insist on using dair though, then always do a rising dair rather than jumping off dair (rising dair as in walk off the ledge, move towards him slightly, then use your 2nd jump and dair as you're coming up).

And then one specific thing: at 8:45, you could have potentially won. If he doesn't tech like that, don't use dsmash, he has invincibility. Put up your shield and see if he attacks it (a smart player won't, but who knows).

You also said you wanted strings, try dair at a percentage where they bounce into the air then do dair > uair (staple move). Nair > jab > something if for some reason you hit them with nair is good, and see if you can incorporate reverse boost pivot grabs into your game, there were a few oppurtunities like 1:57ish and 3:36.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Cyan: I watched like 2 minutes of the first video. Your friend's main form of approaching is rolling. He needs to work on basic Brawl strategy/mechanics.

Stealth: Kind of looks like Seibrik sandbagged for the first 2 stocks of the first match >_> You rely too much on the CG and you fish for kills. You didn't even really mix it up either. Throw in some Bairs or Fsmashes at least. Plus you recover way too predictably. Stop using the phantasm to get back onto the stage. You need to camp hard against Meta Knight, yet the only time you fired lasers was when he was off stage.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Loaf you need to just react a bit quicker, you play a good Falco but its slower than what I feel the better Falco's are doing.

We'll all get faster over time so don't worry.

For mixups they are up to you. I've been fooling around with 2nd Nair hit to a Boost Pivot Grab. (1/2 hit Nair is really good at mixups; 1st hit Nair, Uptilt or jab is legit.)

Edit: I rewatched your vids (Since I care so much <3)

Look a bit into this more underused and really dumb edge option:

Ledge, release, Jump, Aerial/Reflector, and you should be able to regrab the edge.

Fool around like that until you see something you can phantasm through, because everyone expects the phantasm.

Top Bottom