• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Jon, you should watch videos of top Falco players. The Video thread is a little outdated but the top players are still good to watch. Luckily the one thing you have is a recording of yourself. Compare your play to their play. You'll see how much more efficient they are, how much safer they are, and how much better their execution is.

Don't take it as an insult, but you need to improve your tech skill more than anything, Luckily this is the easiest part, because all that requires is practice. After that you need to gain understanding of all actions. This is the harder part, but do not worry about it for now. For you getting better technical skills is a concrete and reachable goal. Worry about the more complicated stuff as your movement with your character starts to improve. Players you should most definitely watch is DEHF/Larry. You're from Cal so I assume you know this, but if you need other players to watch, don't hesitate to ask.

@pokemastr1

Thanks for the input. I've been trying to be less campy with my friends because it's annoying to play against,
Edit: Also you'll never get better by restricting yourself to "not camping" against your friends because they can't get by it. If they don't understand how to beat it, then teach them. If you don't know either, then learn your weakness so that you can teach your friends how to beat it. In that match vs Pikachu, half your lasers didn't even go low enough to hit him, but he just stood in his shield. He should understand that you aren't 100% consistent with your laser height, and he should be more confident of just running at you and dash attacking or grabbing, because he'll be getting rewarded more often than not. Now this is a scenario that you can never really rely on at top level play, because the Falco's lasers are expected to be near perfect, but at lower levels of play it's a very viable strategy. If your friend, the Pikachu, actually starts to punish you more, then this pressures you to not screw up your laser height. Through this process you both become better players, and then more complicated strategies can be employed by your friends to learn how to counter your camping which forces you to improve on your strategies for camping. So, the answer is no, don't stop camping. Instead, teach your friends how to counter it, and hopefully you both improve each other.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
^^ great response.

I don't expect my tech skill to be as high as I want it to be yet - I've only started playing smash for about 3 months now. Hadn't played since I was a kid on melee/64 with items xD. I feel awkward sometimes with Falco, as in my mind will say to do something and my hands just won't do it quite right. That will come with time I know.

I watch a ton of videos already, I would say it's the only reason why I'm better than my friends. DEHF is my hero, that guy does some things that are just incredible. Shugo is another one of my favorites. I'm always trying to learn... have been reading these boards for a couple months now but wanted to at least be respectable before I posted anything (like the video).

I'll work on helping my friends out. I like your idea of telling them how to beat me. Although I'm not looking forward to getting pika chain grabbed ~_~. I'm a huge believer in the thought that playing better people makes you better though, so sacrifices must be made.

Thanks for the response. I'm just an extremely competitive guy looking to get into this scene. Especially not playing great players, any and all help is appreciated, and don't worry, I won't take anything "as an insult" ;). Hopefully in about another month or so I'll have another video or two to post for comparison.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
If you want technical Falco play check out Kasper, SLS, and BluB. And me. But that's not happening for you guys.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
@Xeylode

Those are some good points, especially about the grabbing. Anyone else wanna help me out?

I also have another new vid Bo5 mm with a sheik if anyone wants to critique that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNt0tua5eL0
All I have to say is.. Bair Oos more.
And the thing I said when watching your Falco was.

"Why do I feel like I'm watching a Falco 30x better than mine ?".

Also, don't feel pressured when someone blocks your lasers, and they shield/ walk up to you.
Just run up and grab them.
It's like they're asking you to grab them.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
All I have to say is.. Bair Oos more.
And the thing I said when watching your Falco was.

"Why do I feel like I'm watching a Falco 30x better than mine ?".

Also, don't feel pressured when someone blocks your lasers, and they shield/ walk up to you.
Just run up and grab them.
It's like they're asking you to grab them.
^^ Awesome suggestion :)
This is something I've been looking for! I totally forgot about oos shenanigans. This could give me the extra edge I need to win these real close matches. I've never really used bair oos though, so if you don't mind, could you point out some situations where it could have worked. Also what about usmash oos? How useful is that? And does the usmash have to be jump canceled?

And thanks for the compliment!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
If they hit your shield and they're in front of you, Usmash Oos would be the best option if you want to kill them when they're at around 120% or so. Jump Cancelled.. I think so, but, hitting X/Y and pushing the C-Stick up doesn't sound too hard.

You can also Dair Oos when Sheik Bair/ Nairs/ Uair/ Dair/ Fairs you.
Bair/ Dair Oos works well with her smashes and or Aerials. As well as your Nair Oos.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
If you have tap jump on, you just need to input a normal u-smash with the control stick and A.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Alright, well. Let's see if anyone actually posts a response here.
Critique my whacky falco please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLWsvSBE1a8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU_W6loXGGY
Don't rely on phantasm every single time because you get read and you don't make it back to the ledge and die you can use up speacial it is not that bad and you would have lived. Do not approach peach just camp (shdl) and the only safe approach is shfair and maybe a surpriseing charged smash or phantasm. You won so I don't really see the point that peach wasn't even good all he did was have some decent item game and got some damage off. Ohther wise you did good against the peach.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
...and the only safe approach is shfair
Wat?

@Xeylode: Why are you drooping your shield then jumping? You can jump out of shield. And bair/utilt/ftilt work wonders against peach Also, once you ground lasered, though I believe that was unintentional.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hi, I'm looking too improve my Falco in time for IMPULSE this Summer, I had a few matches with DLA over wifi the other day, and saved the ones I felt like I did well in. The only Falco one I saved was a ditto. Here it is. I'd love to get feedback on the things I am doing right and the things I'm doing wrong. Even the most mundane and basic tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
My general corrections:
-Learn to IAP
-More shdl (and never ground laser)
-The chaingrab is walking, not running, unless necessary (just against some chars).
-When your opponent is above you, bait him with a uair; don't jump and dair.
-Learn to mix up your recovery.
-There was this moment at like 00:30 where it was easy to see the bair coming... you can tech that.
-React after being hit. This ain't melee, the hitstun is low. (yes, I'm talking about 00:39)
-Jab more.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Regarding technique, you are solid. I saw very few technical errors, although when they did happen they ended up messing you up a bit so you may want to polish up on your tech skill and situational awareness. To me, you lost the match because you went for too many hard reads and you did not avoid MK's shuttle loop death zone.

Hard read f-smashes that I did not like:
1:25, 4:58, 6:17, 6:37, 9:33
The problem was that you went for f-smashes when MK was either on the aggression so there was very little chance that he would choose a defensive option anyway, especially if you haven't somehow conditioned him to choose a defensive option or when MK was too far away to air dodge into it. 1:25 is an example of a bad air dodge trap, because MK's clearly too far away to be thinking of air dodging right into you. This is imo an unnecessary hard read, you should do something else. Same can be said for 6:17 and 9:33.

Other hard reads:
Dacus at 1:30 and 1:40, I call them hard reads, but there is very little chance that the opponent would do what you want them and get hit. 1:30 and 1:40 are really just air dodge traps that doesn't exist at that position.
3:46 A hard read, but it worked. Be careful though, because that should rarely if ever work. If MK decided to poke with uairs and then shuttle loop you would have been in a pretty bad situation given that you have no second jump off stage but otherwise good job on making it work.

Technical/other minor errors:
1:56 Use dash u-smash instead of f-smash
3:18 Technical error SD QQ
7:11 Air dodge that almost killed you
7:55 You didn't IAP which is jumping and then phantasming, this resulted in you being in an air dodge trap with RCO lag which made you eat 20% or so.
8:25 a little too slow for your DACUS to land. Also a tidbit, if you are charging a smash attack and you get hit, you actually die earlier which is why the Shuttle Loop killed you so early there
8:50 Were you trying to dash u-smash? The reason you didn't dash actually was b/c you were too fast with your inputs if that makes sense. You buffered the input, but when you input a reverse dash+another input, it becomes turnaround + that input. So instead of dash u-smashing in the other direction, you instead turnaround u-smash. You can only do a reverse dash + u-smash if you do this input described in this video or you delay the input of the u-smash so it isn't buffered.

General MU stuff:
The MK death range:
5:11 It got you killed
7:48 That MK death zone, you got out of it, but see how dangerous that position is? You have to air dodge before he shuttle loops and any defensive situation where you have to input an action before your input is bad, b/c it means the opponent can simply wait for your reaction before attacking you
Also read this article on burst range to get an idea of why MK's shuttle loop is so dangerous at that position

Also learn to time your second jump bair to hit MK when he is dair camping. Some MK's especially on BF will insist on only doing this until they are at a percent disadvantage, so learn the timing or prepare to have a very frustrating match.

Again good Falco, I saw a lot of stuff I liked (like that double laser to reverse boost grab at 4:52, good stuff) and I hope I helped you improve a bit

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
advice plz, i choked really hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yMfG_sczo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_WeWrAMt6U

supposed to be a free mu right :p
Haha it's a free matchup but anything can happen if you don't know HOW it's free and exploit it.

FIRST OF ALL you're going in way too much. Lol what you were doing at the beginning (hard camping) was going well. Why did you stop? The matchup is partially free because ROB sucks at handling hard camping. You need to be more patient in that regard.

Also about camping it was pretty robotic. No pun intended. You have to take account where your opponent is before you decide how to camp. I say this because if you SHDL while he's close it gives him enough time to punish...as you saw. You can ftilt or jab when he's coming up to you.

Don't chase ROB in the air lol. That **** will not go well. Just wait & counter his landing with camping.

Predictable recoveries. Cool it with the phantasm. :glare:

2:11 [first match] was PERFECT lol I really like that. Grab into dair into retreat. Good ****.

Needs more nair/utilt in gen. And jab.

That's all.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
SHDL the wrong way or phantasm directly offstage. Those looked liked turnaround laser errors. Something to work on which you might have already realized.

Snake video 3:30 around this time you get hit by Utilt like 3 times trying to phantasm straight to the stage and all in a row. Aim for the ledge sometime.

I'll say more later after I see all of it.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9ZCjbJ53s&feature=youtu.beVs Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmZjtcnwG90&feature=youtu.be Vs Lucario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w52QeVB8e9A&feature=youtu.be Vs Snake

I feel like with Falco it's incredibly easy to make mistakes. I feel like I'm a decent Falco, but the silly kill myself mistakes always cost me. Plus I have trouble landing kills most of the time, Falco's smashes are are slow, and no one falls for the meteor.
^Can I get more feedback please? I have a tournament this weekend.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
^Can I get more feedback please? I have a tournament this weekend.
- Practice the CG on Marth and Buffer the follow ups. CG Guide here -> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=315249
- Learn to properly laser.
- Don't always Phantasm onto Lylat, the tilts will most likely make it grounded and will give you either a 15 frame RCO ( Soft Landing ) or a 30 Frame RCO ( Hard Landing ) The next moment you touch the ground. If you do have RCO do a Nair as it has the least landing lag of his aerials ( 9 Frames, RCO adds 1/3rd of the landing lag on witch Makes it 12 frame [ Ike's Nair Landing Lag, but 1 frame faster ).
- Try to Punish Marth's get up options, rather than trying to gimp him, this way you lose the risk of being stage spiked by Dolphin Slash.
- Learn how to Gatling Combo as Falco ( Easiest is C-Stick Down -> C-Stick Up {Must be done quickly } [ Only works on hit ]

- If Marth misses with a Dolphin Slash and he's at 90%+ Charge an Fsmash in the direction he falls in, or even if he's at lower damages, unless he's still in the CG range.

- In the stage striking, strike Lylat and Yoshi's Island Brawl, they're terrible for Falco.
- In counter picking, depending on who they use, make a very smart choice for the ban.

- Watch your rolling habit, higher level players will Punish you for it.

- Don't always do Jab 1 then roll away, try doing a dash away just flick the analog stick in the way you want to go, whether it's away or toward Marth.

- Don't always phantasm toward the stage after being hit. You're tacking on Un necessary damage way too much. Marth will almost always punish with Dancing Blade or Up Smash.

For Marth, I personally try to stage within his range, close enough where I won't be hit by a Tipper anything ( They hurt Falco a lot ) but far enough away where I can space around his grab range, this way you can stay safe for the most part.

Also, make sure not to get grabbed at 0% ( 0 -> Death ). Try to take at least 10% from Marth. ( I call it the safe zone ).

I'm not going to watch the others.

But, I can already guess what I will see vs Snake.

- Camp him, if he approaches with a Crawl, either wall up and grab/ shield grab him, Dair him or Phantasm over him.

- Do not shoot lasers when he throws a nade at you. You'll most likely blow it up on you.

- Don't bother reflecting nades that often, you'll probably blow them up in your face.

- Use Reflector to set off his Dsmash.

- Pay attention to his C4 placement.

Get him off stage and keep him off stage, or you'll be in a world of Pain when trying to kill him on stage.

If anyone spotdodges infront of you, always Jab, it always will hit.

Personally, when nades are thrown at them, I simply jump over them.

And, stop doing get up attack. You do it too much.
Mix up your Options!

That's it for now.

Ps. Watch videos of BluB, DEHF, Bloodcross.

Watch what they do in certain situations ( Ignore Dacus ) and try to apply it to your Falco.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Ouch.

Wifi and the lag that comes with it are such factors in performance potential. It would be best if you could get offline matches but if online is all you got...I guess it could do. I'm not going to critique it.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Yo why are we so bad at helping others get better by going over there vids lol.

Cross good stuff trying to help everyone but i know that stuff gets overwhelming at times.

Our boards are so blah, its not like falco is an unpopular char either i dont get it?

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Lack of skill.

Lack of creativity.

Lack of effort.

You need all of these to have a successful Falco user. Period.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What stage did he ban, because I really don't support this CP.

Jeez man, every time you got a banana in your hand, you just chunked it at him. You CAN'T do that, you have to mix it up. Up, down, Z-drop, glide toss, learn it all. Diddy will eat you for it because his item game shows to be better than your's. Learn to use items, not lose to items. Keep in mind that reflector is an option against bananas, but use it sparingly.

Your landing got blown up. You defaulted to throwing an aerial every time and got pasted for it.

Every time you use Jab3, you should realize that if he had better SDI, then you'd be eating an Uair at best.

You FTilt when you should be jabbing. FTilt's great, but it has to be spaced better.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
First off, I do not want to go too in-depth like a second by second analysis, because there are way too many instances where I have to wonder, "Is this a technical error due to wifi or do you normally do this?" Anyway I'll break it down simply.

How did you die?
First death SL
Last two, u-throw.
I'm not going to say it nicely, absolutely atrocious DI on the uthrow, and you DI the uthrow the same way almost every time. You always DI away from MK, and then FF. The third death good DI may not have saved you, but the second death you could have survived imo.
Regarding the SL death, you dair right into him. In general, falling straight into MK is almost a 100% losing situation. The only way you win in that situation is if the MK screws up or doesn't know how to cover that situation. Utilt, uair, SL are 3 options that shut down anything you do in that situation pretty solidly, and it's something you never want to do unless you have a read on MK.

How are you taking damage?
A player I respect once said that the key to being good at brawl is understanding why you got hit.
The reason you got hit most of the time was either poor option selection or bad habits. Sometimes it was both, which means you need to change some habits.
When I say poor option selection, I mean that you pick options that actually do not cover MK's best options in a given situation and they leave you exposed. Like when you landed the first CG, you were sitting right outside MK's dsmash range. The option you selected was dash grab, and maybe you had a read, but imo dodging MK's dsmash with that good of a timing on wifi, I'm going to chalk it up to luck. In that situation with your back to the ledge, your safer options would be going to the ledge or perhaps trying a phantasm to get back to the center of the stage. Approaching is a very risky option and it worked for you, but just realize that most of the time you are going to get hit for that.

Now an example of both poor option selection and a bad habit is your decision making when hanging from the ledge. In these situations, I only saw you use two options, get up attack and second jump phantasm. To make it worse when you used get up attack, you used it mostly when you were >100% which is bad for the following reason. MK would occupy the middle of the stage, so when you phantasm, you literally land right at his feet for punishment. When you get up attack, you give him enough time to react and dash grab. Phantasm is a very powerful option, but please look at where your opponent is. Too many Falco's seem to have the brilliant idea to phantasm right into the opponent. Try to shorten it next time or simply drop down and second jump back onto the corner of the stage.

How did you give damage?
The same player mentioned above also said that you need to understand why you landed a hit.
Where was most of your damage from? CQC, CG and Luck. You need around 140% to easily kill MK (so 3 stocks that's 420%). You get around 150% total damage from the CG if you land it every stock which you did. U-smash does around 15%, so in total you need about 200% in other sources of damage. Understand that a large portion of your damage came from CQC (close quarter combat) so jab/ftilt/grab. The remainder was essentially from luck.

No offense to you, but it looked like to me that you were just throwing out hitboxes and they happened to connect. I don't see any reads being made. Like the second stock, you did 3 DACUS that all missed. You do not DACUS unless you have a read or you're following up a laser. It really did not look like you had a read on the MK (if you did, then it was a failed read) and you never used a laser. Your fourth one finally landed and that's only because MK ran into it. You either challenge MK in unfavorable situations or you do it in a way that leaves you exposed. Like when he's high above you, you do not jump at him and throw an aerial. One of a coupld things you can do is to try to bait an action such as a second jump aerial with an empty SH, and try to beat it with a second jump bair. I'm not going to go over everything with you, but realize that you don't just jump straight into him with a full hop and except to land a hit which you somehow did twice in this match.

Overview
You're too aggressive. As in you charge right at him aka in almost every situation you pick the action that will land you closest to the MK. When you're above him, you FF into him and attack (when the safer thing is to just float away from MK). When you're offstage, you phantasm straight into him. In neutral situations, you either dash and jump in or dash attack/grab. Do not be so eager to run into MK. You only do so if you have a definite read. This also means, you need more lasers. Most of the time, a Falco can get criticized for camping too much. But you don't do it at all. Lasers are another key source of damage, especially when they lead into followups, and you had almost no damage from lasers.

Next, Mix it up. Around the third time you got punished for phantasming into the stage, you should probably have realized that this is not something you want to do. In a match, if you do not have a long enough memory to remember that this was the same exact situation that I got punished in then you have to train yourself until you can, otherwise you will have no success at higher levels. Better reads, or maybe reads in general? I question whether or not you made reads at all and if you were simply reacting/doing what you usually do. In a game like brawl where combos do not lead into kills, you must have a read to kill an opponent. Imo your 2 kills were just luck. Bair offstage against MK (an option that should get you owned) into a footstool kill and random DACUS that MK ran into? Also your opponent let you live a couple times, so when you take that into account this match should not have been as close as it was. You said to be brutal, I was. I hope this helps you, and next time I would prefer that you do not post something from wifi.

Top Bottom