• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Game 1.
- You need to work on your SHDL, Silly Kyle was able to simply dash in and get free damage on you because your lasers were too high. Just go into training mode and practice the perfect SHDL. One laser at full short hop height and one silent laser. ( This will stuff jumps and her floating ).

- You're attempting to SHL when Peach is right next to you. This is when you should be Jabbing/ F-Tilting her.

Silly Kyle also should have lost his stock when he does Up B. Time the ledge grab wait for the parasol to open up, then ledge hop Dair.

- You also need to work on your Di, Peach's Fair doesn't kill at 72%, and shouldn't kill until 140%.
That's all I can really say, your Di needs a ton of work.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
- Coney vs DLA

any critiques would help. and yes I know I need to stop fishing for kills lol, this was made clear to me by everyone who watched this match at the venue.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I'll edit in my critique when I get home from school and watch it.
Also, even if you know something about your playstyle. Don't go off and say "Don't say _____ because I already know that blah blah" it's better to have someone else say it because you'll keep it in the front of your mind as opposed to the back of your mind, it will help you learn faster if you keep your opinions on your playstyle to yourself.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'll edit in my critique when I get home from school and watch it.
Also, even if you know something about your playstyle. Don't go off and say "Don't say _____ because I already know that blah blah" it's better to have someone else say it because you'll keep it in the front of your mind as opposed to the back of your mind, it will help you learn faster if you keep your opinions on your playstyle to yourself.
well I just didn't want someone writing a long dissertation on why I shouldn't fish for kills, since a few people have already been kind enough to explain it to me haha. it saves everyone some time yknow?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Game 1.

At the very start of the match, your lasers aren't the proper height, and Coney is purposely taking the laser damage until he reaches about.. 36% because then you can no longer Chain Grab him and D3 can easily make it up with a Bair + B-Throw + Bair or F-Tilt which is 37% don't let people get away with it.

I'm assuming that you miss input the phantasm on the platform/ the landing Fair instead of Dair or Fast Fall Nair.

Don't try use Straight up dash attack to approach, it's usually better to use Gatling combo because of the shield push/ it might bait out the shield grab.

Be careful with your phantasms after lasers, it isn't the ONLY option you have after SHDL/ SHL when they close in. You have walk up -> Grab or Boost Pivot Grab, Gatling Combo. Dash -> Shield Grab. Jab, F-Tilt/ D-Tilt or you can retreat the the edge of the stage to create room. D3 will U-Tilt even after he gets hit by a laser just incase you phantasm. Be wary of this when you're at higher damages.

Another thing I noticed is you don't use B-Throw/ U-Throw to set up juggles enough and when you do use D-Throw, you don't try to Jab them which could ad an extra 2-4% or even a laser lock when they miss the tech.

You played too aggressively when he was in the air and didn't try to bait anything.

Don't stale your Usmash as a punish. D-Smash is 1 frame faster and does 15% as opposed to staling your kill move and only getting 14%. Also only use usmash when they're at kill damages ->
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309050

Other than that.. good Falco!

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
thanks for the critique. yeah I need to work on doing the gatling combo when I need to. I just love dash attack.

and it's really hard to bait anything out of DDD when he's in the air and facing away from you, because his bair and his fast fall are both ridiculous. DDD is so frustrating to fight, the **** he gets away with because of his absurd air dodge/spot dodge/back roll is just stupid.

also towards the end, I was trying to Usmash just to pop him up in the air instead of killing him. probably not the best idea, but I seemed to be having a lot more luck killing with Uair than with Usmash when he was trying to land. But yeah, he survived a lot of important Usmashes throughout the entire set because I didn't know his kill % with Usmash beforehand. That hurt me a lot.

kismet2

Smash Ace
dla your falco <3. what really messed you up game 1 was that you were leaning on phantasm near the end and coney was able to use that to catch up in percents. you stopped in games 2 and 3 but able to mix it up enough to where coney can't punish it as well. you should practice the cancel, it's very good for faking out the opponent and a good mixup in general. other than that you were able to bait very well and you understand how to poke safely with falco, i especially love the single jab cancel>phantasm =)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I will restate this, do not ask someone not to point out the obvious. You need to have someone say it to you, even if you already know. That way it stays fresh in your mind and you know it's there until you fix it. It's good to have a reminder even if you already know.

I'll critique when I get home.

kismet2

Smash Ace
jack you did good your only real problem was the lack of jab mixups and pressure, you didn't keep him out for laser chip damage. ally was able to find different ways of pressuring you/getting in while you were trying to fight back(i guess because you were looking for specific things to punish which is good but against good players they know this so all you can do is play your game, not theirs) rather than keeping him out and firing lasers. fishing for the kill is just a different way of saying losing patience so be careful when your opponent is willing to wait it out, you'll have to do the same(for falco that is extreme keep away and frame traps). you didn't try to put yourself in better positions and you had a hard time of keeping it. the sd's were </3 but good stuff regardless, beat him next time.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Yes I understand, Pokemanz, but like DLA said I already heard that enough from Seibrik and Riddle, so its something I'm well aware of (aside from the phantasm stuff, those were just my mistakes rofl).

Kismet, thanks a lot dude. Yeah Ally pressured me a lot and i was actuslly unsure of when to jab. I got scared haha. You gotta teach me your tricksies Apex :3

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yes I understand, Pokemanz, but like DLA said I already heard that enough from Seibrik and Riddle, so its something I'm well aware of (aside from the phantasm stuff, those were just my mistakes rofl).

Kismet, thanks a lot dude. Yeah Ally pressured me a lot and i was actuslly unsure of when to jab. I got scared haha. You gotta teach me your tricksies Apex :3
no problem i definitely know the feeling XD and don't worry i gotcha haha

So can anyone critique my Falco? Sorry for having it been on a stream link.
i can but it'll have to be in the morning before i go to work.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
So can anyone critique my Falco? Sorry for having it been on a stream link.
Practice your SHDL. Go to training mode and practice hitting Kirby with a SHL/ SHDL. If you can manage this consistently, then you're lasering right.

44:12 is just after this -> You shouldn't try to BDacus when they're at low damages, when Usmash won't come close to staling. Especially at 63% on Diddy. Use the low damages to read their Di/ what they do. Because he air dodged immediately and Di'd up, you could have got off with a charged Fsmash.

At 44:55, just before this time frame. You Back threw Diddy off stage, then failed to pressure him. Instead, you phantasm'd away. Giving him a free ride back on stage.

You gimped yourself at 45:28 when trying to reflect a Banana when you were off stage. It probably would have been better to phantasm to the ledge or on stage because Diddy was looking for your firebird and not a Phantasm punish.

Don't run into Diddy head on when he pulls a Banana, you can reflect them when they're pulled, making it harder for him. But you chose not to and almost got yourself infinited.

Stop going for BDacus when they aren't at kill damages and when it will NOT hit.

Don't spot dodge all the time when a Jab/ Grab/ anything else misses. People will pick up on this and use it to punish you.
Jab cancel more with Double Jab -> Mix up. Rapid Jab isn't the best option you can pull out.

You're a bit too aggressive.

That's all I'm putting for now.

kismet2

Smash Ace
zflash you certainly stick to your opponent like glue XD you were able to keep pressure the whole time but your offstage decisions really put you behind or let your opponent catch back up. it's ok to go offstage but with falco you're not always given that option. against diddy keep his bananas away from him, so throw them on the other side while you're standing in front of it and you can use phantasm to move around since the bananas don't interrupt it. diddy is much weaker without nanas and less you have to deal with. you can throw his nanas back but you have to establish some kind of laser pressure/mixup so that they'll have a hard time to instathrow it back ALSO the laser/nana mixup is very good shield pressure which'll eventually lead to a shieldpoke glidetoss. last piece of advice DONT approach if you have the lead XD you have lasers, they're really good for taking control or trying to push for more momentum. just chill, throw some lasers maybe some hit confirms into jab for more damage.

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
Oh Poke is that I grab with R+A so i get a spot dodge at times when trying to Grab to down throw :/

Kismet I'll try and use more lasers and keep away if i have the lead :D

Thankz for the tips guys,I'm sure this will help a tone :)

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
Falco should try to stay at a distance in general I think. Here a couple of tips that may help:

* It is always good if Falco is on Stage.
* It is always good if the opponent is in front of Falco (on the ground)
* It is always good if the opponent is behind/above you (in the air)
* Falco has better frame data than many characters (on ground in front of you)
* Falco matches many characters in frame data in the air (behind him/below him)

If the opponent is in the air above you or in front of you, you are instantly at a disadvantage. Move! This is something Marth/MK will often do to you, as well as most other characters. This is because Falco's Nair has little range, and his Fair is near useless.

Laser from safe distances. Poke at mid-range.

Million other things. But I hope this helps.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I like your Falco a lot!
Also!

You missed a punish on Lucario when he was at 186% on his second stock, When his Nair missed, you had a free Bair. You made up for it with the Usmash though.

You need to stop Di'ing down, just a general thing. Get better at reflecting on reaction, you could have saved yourself a few times with it.

I really like your Falco though.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Aw, thank you c: I think i did DI down a few times in those matches, i'll keep in mind the reflecting thingy. Thank you for your compliment.

DrYFt

Smash Rookie
L3G1T, your falco is of course, really good bro after playing you in friendlies. But i saw a lot of missed shield grabs, since falco has a pretty decent grab range. Also along with MR.M4N stalling on the ledge, you could maybe run off the edge and use the c-stick to bair and stage spike. Everything else, fantastic falco usage

Veeonix

Smash Apprentice
I'd appreciate if you guys could give me some constructive criticism for my Falco. Unfortunately, this is the only "serious" match I have recorded, despite it being friendlies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlR0G5KY88M
Falco has better frame data than Kirby. You can take advantage of this on the ground really well. You didn't Jab much. Aside from Jumping, Kirby has nothing to deal with it. It's an extremely safe, and obnoxious option. This is like Falco's bread and butter. It's safe on shield, beats most attacks (frame data wise) and disrupts the opponent's tempo better than any of Falco's other standard moves (aside from like chain/grab).

Also, on the ledge, when Kirby is planking, you could have just jabbed at him. It comes out faster. Falco tilts himself down and forward. The hit box should hit Kirby at that angle, and there really isn't much he can do about it except get off the ledge, or attack from further below. However, his upward attack range is a bit limited.

Another note, like stated above, you can deal with the planking with a risky off-stage Bair to stage-spike. Bit of a gamble though. It can cost you a stock if you mess up.

Not near enough Jabs or Bairs in my opinion. You could use a bit more shielding as well. Out of shield options are REALLY nice, especially against characters with weaker frame data. Shield-Cancel your U-Smash once in a while. Especially if you shield Kirby's F-Smash. The cooldown time should be enough to get a free punish. Out of shield Nair, Bair or Dair are all amazing options.

Also, try watching out for low percent combos. The one Kirby was doing generally works on Fox/Wolf better, and leads to more damage. However, it can be used (to lesser effect) to net like 40% on Falco.

Last thing... You're Dacus/Up-Smash attempts were... well, most were very obvious. Try to mix it up and use it at less predictable times perhaps?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Frame data doesn't mean crap when it comes to character Match ups at all. Marth loses to D3, and D3's frame data is terrible compared to Marth's.

Falco's Jab is nowhere near safe on block. You can be grabbed in between the hits of hit 1 and 2, if you want safe shield pressure, use Falco's F-Tilt.

:18 - You went to chaingrab Kirby with either a Dash grab or a Boost Pivot Grab. You can CG him 4 times from 0% with a walking chaingrab.

:36 - You used Falco's rapid jab, and Kirby got out with taking minimal damage. Practice Jab cancelling into the second Jab, so just do his first two Jabs, it can lead into another Jab/ Grab/ Gatling Combo/ U-Tilt/ Whatever, mix it up. None of it's safe, but it happens so fast, people can't react to it. And Falco's rapid jab isn't the safest thing.

:45 - You did good with the Lasers for when Kirby was on the ledge, you're supposed to do that because it allows you to react to their get up options/ stuff what they try to do. However, you failed to react to his roll, giving up your edge guard attempt and you gave him free stage control. Definitely work on that.

1:27 - HOW DID THAT HAPPEN. You had the pressure with him off the ledge, you should have stuck with the SHDL's for pressure. Or at least read that he was doing the same jump pattern over and over again. You were in control of the match, you threw it all away when you started spamming spot dodges and Di'd his Fsmash wrong, resulting in you losing your stock while he was at kill damage and you weren't.

1:50 - You got REALLY lucky with that Dacus kill. Like.. super lucky.

2:27 - You let Kriby roll behind you, and you did a spot dodge -> Usmash, and you got grabbed instead. Work on that, he tends to like rolling behind you.

3:14 - SUPER unsafe Charged Dacus. I'm surprised you didn't get punished for it, try not to do it so often.

3:17 - You let Kirby walk right up to you, and grab you because you tried to do another double laser to BDacus/ Dacus. "Look, I know it's fun, but you need to stop doing it because you're getting punished for it." - Chris Fisch.

[collapse=General Notes:]
- You need to work on your SHDL's a bit more, and work in SHL's to stuff dash approaches.
- Learn how to do "Rain" lasers, it's where you run off stage and jump back on firing two lasers, it's how you beat out people crouching under them.
- Don't be so obvious with your Usmashes/ Dacus/ BDacus attempts ESPECIALLY when it won't kill them. You're staling your best kill move. It'll kill Kirby at 119% with perfect Di. You have a leeway of about 5-8% depending on their Di.
- Don't be so hasty with phantasm's at the ledge, you normally would use a ledge jump, or mix in the phantasm. You need to recognize where Kirby is and what he can punish you with, when you do something, you also need to recognize when they're looking for the Phantasm. He was obviously looking for it at 3:08.[/collapse]

Other than that, you have a solid Falco that gets REALLY lucky with hard reads, or your friend can't react.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
I really appreciate the time you guys took to help me out! I'll be sure to work on the aforementioned points.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you know you did awful then what are you waiting from criticism ? Do you have a question in particular or is there a point I should focus on when watching your replay ?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Just tell me everything I could have been doing better, what I did wrong. What I could have done.
Anything you spot that I could have done differently.

Isn't that the point of Critique ?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yes but I was kinda trying to avoid the "yeah I've already seen that" answer.

Watched your set and one main advice I could give is LOL CHILL OUT ROBERT.
Don't approach when Zamus has her items ready.
Don't approach with side B when she's not crawling towards you.
Don't approach by rolling towards her with your back turned.
Don't approach to force kills unless you've got an outstanding lead.
Stay calm and keep pew-pew-ing..

More specific advices would be :
-you were too predictable and/or unsafe with your phantasms, V could punish like 99% of them
-when you have an armor piece throw it up or down, not to the sides (unless there's something to punish)
-when you don't have any armor piece but Zamus is carrying one then keep pew pew ing and wait before she throws it to reflect. OR if she shields just throw your reflector in her shield, best trap ever works everytime is godlikely safe in this very particular position.
-Throw armor pieces up, camp around their falling spot. If Zamus really wants to approach she'll have to deal with one extra hitbox.
-zone your lasers better, you got dash attacked/hyphen smashed too often because you jumped when you were too close to Zamus. If you only notice it when you've already jumped then you can always DJ away to safety.
-little trick to finish : when you're in your shield on a platform and someone's pushing your back towards the edge then jump OOS before you fall off.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well, even if people already tell me something. I love having it repeated, it makes me focus more on it, and try to work around it. :3

Top Bottom