• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Everything Thread - The Basics, How To Improve, Frame Data etc.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
so i was thinking someone should create a thread for specifically melee tourneys where people can post tourneys (or similar get togethers) that they know of (with the date, location, etc) and the creator can organize the tourneys by region. i've been looking, and it's really difficult to find tournaments in a specific area. i would be willing to make/maintain the thread if there is enough interest.

Grunt

Smash Master
so i was thinking someone should create a thread for specifically melee tourneys where people can post tourneys (or similar get togethers) that they know of (with the date, location, etc) and the creator can organize the tourneys by region. i've been looking, and it's really difficult to find tournaments in a specific area. i would be willing to make/maintain the thread if there is enough interest.
go to tournament section and click regional zones.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
i actually knew about that, i was thinking very simple, such as city, state, date and time. then putting links to the actual thread. so that you don't have to look through every single thread trying to figure out where and when so and so's biweekly tournament is. and you don't have to deal with all of the crew threads that clutter the regional zones section. the announcement in your sig is a good title, but they're not all that clear. also i was hoping to keep it the melee tourneys, to avoid sifting through all the brawl ones. if everyone's fine with looking through regional zones, i won't start the thread.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
A thread with a bunch of links and severely specific organization?

If you`re willing to break your a** doing something like that I`ll list it here and advertise it. That is, of course, if I`m reading correctly...

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
that was the idea, but there doesn't seem to be too much interest. and i'm not going to do it unless people are seriously interested, because it does seem like it is going to be quite a job if done right.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
holy **** a lot happened on the melee board today (well technically yesterday now, at least where i am)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
What the **** has happened to the pal/ntsc version differences thread? When I click the link, I get this : "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" And I can't find it through searching. Help?

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
NEW Universial AT???

i think i found something useful today. if it's old, just say so, i didn't search for it as i have no idea what it would be called. anyways here what it is: put your character within wavedashing or dashdancing distance of the edge (facing the edge) and wavedash or dash towards the edge. usually you would stop at the edge or slide off, right? well if you smash tap back towards the stage (as if to dash) just as you reach the edge you slide off and quickly grab the edge. i don't know much about it, the tap back seems to need to occur within a couple frames of reaching the edge (if not the frame where you reach the edge), and is possible with every character and can be preformed out of a dash if you are within dash dance range. in terms of speed grabbing the edge it seems to fall between a wavedash backwards with no fast fall and one with fast fall. as for uses i think that it can be used when you need to dash from a large distance and edge hog. instead of having to stop and turn around or jump bair, you can use this and it could also be good for mind games. it takes a little time to get the timing but once you get it it is pretty rewarding. again if this is old please just say so, but i have never seen it used and wouldn't know what to search for. and as i have no aptitude at playing in slow motion and have no video recording ability, help explaining this from people who do have those things would be appreciated.

edit: this does work with all characters. it also works out of a dash if you are in dashdance range

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I remember there was a thread, where they discussed why each stage was banned, but I can;t find it now. Can someone help me and link me to it?

vrud

Smash Apprentice
the ledge teching is well explained but i still have trouble with my ness' up-b even if i can almost always edge tech his 2nd jump can any1 amke a video of a fox or a falco edge teching a motion bomb on training and pause when u need to do all the things, step by step?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I looked through that list and I didn't see much in the ways of a matchup chart...

Could I be misinformed, or is this something we should make?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
the ledge teching is well explained but i still have trouble with my ness' up-b even if i can almost always edge tech his 2nd jump can any1 amke a video of a fox or a falco edge teching a motion bomb on training and pause when u need to do all the things, step by step?
That would be nice.

I looked through that list and I didn't see much in the ways of a matchup chart...

Could I be misinformed, or is this something we should make?
phanna's matchup chart is pretty outdated.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I looked through the compilation but didn't find anything about how long it takes to crouch =S

Somebody help =D

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
this is very interesting im gonna practice this........ isnt this a pc chris trick called a pc grab where he walk to the edge forwards and just grabs the ledge by tapping back, it's probably easyier to do with a wavedash anyways.

BEES

Smash Lord
um i need some help with wavedashing... can anyone help?
+hold the control stick diagonally down. SSW or SSE directions.
+the amount of time you wait between the jump and the airdodge depends on the character.
+For Fox, Pichu, Falcon, and other characters with quick jump animations, it's nearly instant.
+For Falco, Marth, DK, Luigi and characters with an average jump animation there is a little delay. You can't hit the shoulder pad instantly.
+Slow characters like Bowser and Ganon have an even longer delay.
+If you don't let go of the shoulder pad by the end of the WD, you'll go into a shield.

Just go to a flat stage and practice WDing back and forth, and try to get the timing between the jump and the airdodge down. It requires feeling it out a bit.

It takes muscle memory to learn, so give it a week and the muscles in your fingers will strengthen, and you'll be able to do it with the same effort as any other move.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Im a rookie to the Smash World and this thread is healping alot. Just wanted to express my appreciation for the collection of links on this thread. Thankyou and keep it up

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I have a question, and I don't know where it should go. I was wondering if we could change lighting effects, because I really really like Brawl's lighting effects.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
the preacher used 2 preach 2 try 2 save souklds
but now hes preachin just TO BUY JELLY ROLL
AND HE CALLS THAT RELIGION
thIS SONG IS SO ****IBNG GOOD.
IF UT HAVNT HERD IT U SUCK RTOFL.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Why has nobody written in this thread in two months? We can't possibly have run out of things to talk about.

What about philosophy of smash? Psychology of smash? I haven't seen extensive discussion on it on the boards, recently, anyway, and we should always reevaluate past discussions when there are enough new voices.

But I have an actual question, too. It involves what I think is a very pragmatic concern.

Why doesn't SSBM have a wider following today? It's not just because of the Wii, since it's backwards compatible. I think a major part of this is the existence of SSBB. Not just because it's a sequel, but because of the demand for precise tech skill is less essential to playing the game to its fullest. That's not a value judgement, but I think it's a legitimate observation.

I personally recognize and am enthralled by the bountiful nuance of SSBM gameplay, everything from the basic physics engine all the way up to 1-frame pivot-attacks. It's a really difficult game to get good at, for a variety of reasons, though, and I think that difficulty has made it inaccessible to newcomers--I think we all recognize that. So why isn't there a section of our forums dedicated to helping people with, for instance, a guide of the fundamentals of play that can be logically linked with more advanced explanations? There could be a section dealing more with the physical issue of playing: how much can hand-eye coordination be improved/how to do it; do you stretch before you play?; official layouts of the different permutations of how people hold their controller. SmashWiki is a perfect solution, but it now seems more oriented toward Brawl.

If it were given enough attention, I believe there are more people who would feel encouraged to start seriously playing the game. Some people think there's no point, because we've already discovered every technique and pushed most of the characters to their "technical boundaries." Maybe there's not much technical exploration left in SSBM; that makes sense. However, its uniquely intricate gameplay allows for such nimble strategic and psychological sparring! This is a high-caliber game of unique sophistication. I think it's likely that by the end of the decade, the next console system will be out and the game will no longer be just a modern classic or a throwback; it will become a classic. I don't think the number of people who love and want to play the game will die out, as long as we make it possible for newcomers to sustain an interest.

Or am I being strangely sentimental about this? O_o

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Why has nobody written in this thread in two months? We can't possibly have run out of things to talk about.

What about philosophy of smash? Psychology of smash? I haven't seen extensive discussion on it on the boards, recently, anyway, and we should always reevaluate past discussions when there are enough new voices.

But I have an actual question, too. It involves what I think is a very pragmatic concern.

Why doesn't SSBM have a wider following today? It's not just because of the Wii, since it's backwards compatible. I think a major part of this is the existence of SSBB. Not just because it's a sequel, but because of the demand for precise tech skill is less essential to playing the game to its fullest. That's not a value judgement, but I think it's a legitimate observation.

I personally recognize and am enthralled by the bountiful nuance of SSBM gameplay, everything from the basic physics engine all the way up to 1-frame pivot-attacks. It's a really difficult game to get good at, for a variety of reasons, though, and I think that difficulty has made it inaccessible to newcomers--I think we all recognize that. So why isn't there a section of our forums dedicated to helping people with, for instance, a guide of the fundamentals of play that can be logically linked with more advanced explanations? There could be a section dealing more with the physical issue of playing: how much can hand-eye coordination be improved/how to do it; do you stretch before you play?; official layouts of the different permutations of how people hold their controller. SmashWiki is a perfect solution, but it now seems more oriented toward Brawl.

If it were given enough attention, I believe there are more people who would feel encouraged to start seriously playing the game. Some people think there's no point, because we've already discovered every technique and pushed most of the characters to their "technical boundaries." Maybe there's not much technical exploration left in SSBM; that makes sense. However, its uniquely intricate gameplay allows for such nimble strategic and psychological sparring! This is a high-caliber game of unique sophistication. I think it's likely that by the end of the decade, the next console system will be out and the game will no longer be just a modern classic or a throwback; it will become a classic. I don't think the number of people who love and want to play the game will die out, as long as we make it possible for newcomers to sustain an interest.

Or am I being strangely sentimental about this? O_o
Well considering how old this game is and how rushed it was, it has a pretty good following. The problem is getting more people to play, which happens, but not that much. Many serious gamers don't have a wii let alone a gamecube-xbox, playstation, and PC is where it's at. These people aren't going to be drawn into a 9 year old game with old graphics on an old console at this point in time, unless they try it out and really like it the first time. If we had mass advertising or some ****, sure we could get even more people, but the bottom line is that not only is this game outdated, but the competitive aspect only appeals to a certain amount of people. The skill involved in most games today is pretty dumbed down and low. Nothing has near the caliber melee does.

And I share your great interest in this game, it's mindblowing when you consider that nintendo meant it as a party game for kids. There are tons of information being processed almost instantaneously in the mind of a competitive melee player in any given match-truly a feat.

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Well considering how old this game is and how rushed it was, it has a pretty good following. The problem is getting more people to play, which happens, but not that much. Many serious gamers don't have a wii let alone a gamecube-xbox, playstation, and PC is where it's at. These people aren't going to be drawn into a 9 year old game with old graphics on an old console at this point in time, unless they try it out and really like it the first time. If we had mass advertising or some ****, sure we could get even more people, but the bottom line is that not only is this game outdated, but the competitive aspect only appeals to a certain amount of people. The skill involved in most games today is pretty dumbed down and low. Nothing has near the caliber melee does.

And I share your great interest in this game, it's mindblowing when you consider that nintendo meant it as a party game for kids. There are tons of information being processed almost instantaneously in the mind of a competitive melee player in any given match-truly a feat.
I think getting people to play isnt the problem.....the game is fun the problem is trying to get people who will want to learn how get super duuper good at stuff like shffl and wavedash...I tried showing this to 2 ppl @ school and they were like,"This ****s way to complicated!" Rofl but yes sadly everyone is now focused on the mind numbing simplicity of CoD on Xbox and PS3 :/ Its a shame really...

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I think getting people to play isnt the problem.....the game is fun the problem is trying to get people who will want to learn how get super duuper good at stuff like shffl and wavedash...I tried showing this to 2 ppl @ school and they were like,"This ****s way to complicated!" Rofl but yes sadly everyone is now focused on the mind numbing simplicity of CoD on Xbox and PS3 :/ Its a shame really...
I have some friends that basically refuse to learn not only advanced techniques, but anything about the game other than what's in the instruction manual. Then they get really upset when they lose constantly and don't want to play for days. I really don't get it.

Composeur

Smash Ace
For sure! If a game's not worth investing your effort in, then it's not going to be as rewarding.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I wouldn't advise acting elitist towards anyone that feels overwhelmed by Melee's metagame. It's a very reasonable reaction to want to give up if you see someone flying around at mach speed and killing you every 5 seconds. Instead of trying to show them a whole bunch of different things, start with one basic thing they can actually do. I remember teaching someone who played Sheik just how to jump cancel. He couldn't WD or SHFFL, but by the end of a 30-45 min gaming session he was JCing a large majority of grabs and he seemed pretty satisfied that he made progress that was not only benefiting his game play, but was easy to see as well. That's another thing I've learned about introducing new players is that you should encourage them to learn techniques that show clear progress. If someone focuses on learning something like how to approach, the results of how effective their approaches are aren't always very obvious. I always encourage players to practice tech skill when they start out because a player can get a lot of satisfaction from seeing himself be able to WD properly and land solid SHFFLs for the first time.

Top Bottom