• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Election 2008 Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I thought Arizona was starting to lean towards Obama, which was considered the killing blow to McCain.

D

Deleted member

I thought the killing blow to McCain was the day he announced Palin as his running-mate, but oh well.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Arizona is a lot closer, but will still probably be won by McCain. The electoral votes by itself won't do much for McCain if he can't win the other states.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Arizona will most certainly still be won by McCain (*shakes fist*), but there's been a huge amount of pro-Obama advertising going around here because he's got so much money he can afford to do it, even if it won't change anything.

It's scary saying you're an Obama supporter in many places in Arizona. The way people react, I'd assume someone just revealed they were a Nazi or that they're going to marry their sister.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's scary saying you're an Obama supporter in many places in Arizona. The way people react, I'd assume someone just revealed they were a Nazi or that they're going to marry their sister.
Yea. I pretty much just don't talk about politics with most people.

You live in Arizona don't you, Derek? Are you in the valley or somewhere else?
...and why do I get the feeling like I've asked you this sometime before...

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Yea. I pretty much just don't talk about politics with most people.

You live in Arizona don't you, Derek? Are you in the valley or somewhere else?
...and why do I get the feeling like I've asked you this sometime before...
Mesa, actually. :D Representing the 480.

You're good to avoid political conversation when in unknown company. Deflect with a joke, if necessary.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea. My girlfriend's grandparents are actually planning a party for "when" McCain wins...

*sigh*

They'll in all likelihood disown us if they found out we voted Obama, lol.

Do you ever smash? I don't live far from you, I don't think. Mesa has a pretty strong group, too. Taj lives out there. You should go to the Az thread in the Regional zones sometime. I mod there too.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ironically, this is how I find it normally is for saying you're a Republican at all...then again, that could just be from my experience.

You're good to avoid political conversation when in unknown company. Deflect with a joke, if necessary.
...And this is pretty much how I deal with it as well. The only time I admit I'm a Republican is if it's with one of my friends who won't call me racist whether or not they agree with me, or when I know someone's a Republican. Even if I don't get lynched for being a Republican, I find it very stressful to discuss politics at times. That and religion or just such touchy subjects.

Honestly, I think people need to just learn to accept other people's opinions. Whether you're voting for one candidate or another, affiliated with one party or another, it shouldn't be the difference between your best friend and your mortal enemy.

cman

Smash Ace
Ironically, this is how I find it normally is for saying you're a Republican at all...then again, that could just be from my experience.

...And this is pretty much how I deal with it as well. The only time I admit I'm a Republican is if it's with one of my friends who won't call me racist whether or not they agree with me, or when I know someone's a Republican. Even if I don't get lynched for being a Republican, I find it very stressful to discuss politics at times. That and religion or just such touchy subjects.

Honestly, I think people need to just learn to accept other people's opinions. Whether you're voting for one candidate or another, affiliated with one party or another, it shouldn't be the difference between your best friend and your mortal enemy.
Republicans get a bad rep because the most visible half of them are wacko religious nut jobs mentally crippled after years of in-breeding. It depends on where you live whether this is thought of as a good or bad thing. I take it you live in the northeast or west coast? Anyway, I predict that the GOP will split in half within ten years.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Republicans get a bad rep because the most visible half of them are wacko religious nut jobs mentally crippled after years of in-breeding. It depends on where you live whether this is thought of as a good or bad thing. I take it you live in the northeast or west coast? Anyway, I predict that the GOP will split in half within ten years.
I don't know, I guess that would make sense, but I don't know any Republicans that are like that. It sounds like it's a stereotype that Republicans have acquired.

And yeah, I live in the northeast.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
The election is finally over...

Good job to McCain for a good campaign.
Congrats to Obama, the new president of the United States of America.

So, what are the thoughts now that we have a new Head of State? How do you think he will fare in office?

Right now, what I am hoping that will now get done soon after Obama is inducted, is that our troops come home, and that we can finally just end, what I consider, "Vietnam ep. 2."

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, I hate this **** so much.

I have never read more racist comments than I have in the last 24 hours. Let me show you:

hopes that Obama's out by the time he's out of college.

pRaYiNg that all goes well!

hates politics

is wondering if the Australian schools are good...

prays that God's will be done on Earth.

the fall of this country, if its destiny is indeed to fall, will not come from a single man elected to run it, but from the separation of its citizens. Go Obama. - ok that was an awesome one an worth quoting.

is going to work so some lazy *** who thinks having children is a means of income can take the money that Ill make while im at work. Jindal 2012.

is JINDAL FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!!!!!!!!!

asks, why all the surprise? Out of two substance-less candidates, the charismatic one won. - Another one I liked.

just can't wait to be Communist.

is pryaying daily for the next 4 years. Armageddon has come.

is lamenting the terrible predicament we're now in...

is glad that im drunk.

is the Mayans were wrong ... the end is near 01.20.09. Who is coming to Canada with me?

Obama said he'll give us change, but he never specified if it was good change or bad change.

is RIP American Economy, and everything we used to stand for. - this moron evidently didn't understand that we are in a RECESSION

is wondering if anyone would like to come to England with him for the next 4 years?

And y'all thought Bush was bad...just wait!

McCain is so awesome!! If only he could've won!

Brittany showed me 10 times worse on hers.

RDK

Smash Hero
With any luck, the growing Libertarian party will take over the GOP in the next ten years. All we have to do is sit back and continue to allow the GOP to make complete fools out of themselves and annihilate their own party.

Amide

Smash Lord
With any luck, the growing Libertarian party will take over the GOP in the next ten years. All we have to do is sit back and continue to allow the GOP to make complete fools out of themselves and annihilate their own party.
That would be perfect. I really do think that people will someday realize how Libertarian is the better of both parties. However, I think that it would be hard for us to gain many supporters with so little media coverage.

Aesir

Smash Master
Just as long as it's the Libertarians who take over and not the Constitution party..

Last thing we need is they taking over an already religious leaning party.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
My entire neighborhood is cryin with glee. I'm lucky I live in what is ranked to be the most diverse neighborhood in the U.S., so I don't have to hear the race issue.

RDK

Smash Hero
Just as long as it's the Libertarians who take over and not the Constitution party..

Last thing we need is they taking over an already religious leaning party.
I hadn't even heard of Chuck Baldwin and that Castle guy until a few days before the election, but from what I heard they seem fairly scary.

I shudder to think what would happen if an even more conservative Christian president were instituted.

Aesir

Smash Master
Yeah Nader kinda owned him in the 3rd Party debate I think..

He was for a free market, abolishing public institutions.

Fiscal and social conservative not exactly something I would look forward too.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I would just like to ask how are all of those comments racist CK? I found a few of them racist. But most of them aren't. How many of those things were said when Bush won the election in 00 and 04?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would just like to ask how are all of those comments racist CK? I found a few of them racist. But most of them aren't. How many of those things were said when Bush won the election in 00 and 04?
I don't think ANY of those were racist, to be honest. All of them are just saying the people don't like Obama, and Obama happens to be black. Are some of them extreme, like the Armageddon? Yes. But NONE of them mention race. NONE of them.

Which is one more reason it's not good to have Obama as president. Now for the next four years, I'm going to be racist if I disagree with the president. I am NOT racist. I just disagree with him.

This comic is so right it's sad.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
As I've said, these are the more tame ones.

One from Brittany's:

thinks that if I have to work extra hard so some ghetto momma can pop out more chirren I am going on a welfare too.

And that was the tamest from her list.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Hopefully, in time he'll be able to prove to the entire population that he's more than just his skin color. Some people will never come around, but in time I think they'll know the substance behind the orator.

Besides, it's really only a relatively small number of people who feel this way. Unfortunately, they've far too much time on their hands and they have the horrible tendency to think everybody needs to experience their opinion. It's extremely unfortunate, but it's really not representative of the whole of America, just a radical and fanatical few.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Hopefully, in time he'll be able to prove to the entire population that he's more than just his skin color. Some people will never come around, but in time I think they'll know the substance behind the orator.

Besides, it's really only a relatively small number of people who feel this way. Unfortunately, they've far too much time on their hands and they have the horrible tendency to think everybody needs to experience their opinion. It's extremely unfortunate, but it's really not representative of the whole of America, just a radical and fanatical few.
Time will ultimately tell if Obama can follow up on his word. He's our president now, so I will be supporting him, but that doesn't mean I'll agree on all his decisions. It would be interesting to see how he reacts to a crisis that his vice president predicted he will face.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I love how crazy the electoral college is. The popular vote was 51/49 Obama IIRC, but in electoral college points he had double McCain's score. Not that it matters since he still would've lost anyway.

I feel that Mike Huckabee could've done a far better job on the Republican side then McCain. Obama's young voters actually showed up, him appealing to them without them having too much thought, and I think Huckabee could've done it better. He only plays guitar and has Chuck Norris on his side, literally.

More importantly though, Huckabee had a more solid plan for the economy then McCain, which 60% of voters said was the most important issue. Huckabee also probably would've been more disagreeable to Obama then McCain was in the debates, and he's a much better debater in general then McCain ever will be.

Who knows? Maybe Huckabee will run again. Only time will tell.

As for Obama winning, the thing I'm most scared about is what he'll do for the war. When he won, the terrorists celebrated by shooting missles over Isreal like fireworks as he had his little celebration party. . .(Not implying they're related by any means, but the terrorists know Obama won't be nearly as hard on them as a Conservative.)

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
As for Obama winning, the thing I'm most scared about is what he'll do for the war. When he won, the terrorists celebrated by shooting missles over Isreal like fireworks as he had his little celebration party. . .(Not implying they're related by any means, but the terrorists know Obama won't be nearly as hard on them as a Conservative.)
Actually conservativism is supposed to be closer to non-interventionism than liberalism.
I think you mean Obama won't be nearly as hard on them as a Neo-conservative.
You don't know that for sure though. Obama has voiced aggressive stances against terrorism such as continuing the battle in Afghanistan and funding for more influence in Pakistan.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
The electoral college is not crazy. They were very close in many of the states but because winner takes all and Obama won the states that counted more, Obama received more electoral votes. Besides Texas, the state with the highest electoral votes that McCain won was Georgia with 15. Obama won many states with 20+ electoral votes.

Like Marthanoob said, Obama has said that he plans on keeping troops in Afghanistan (where Al Qaeda is actually based in).

RDK

Smash Hero
I love how crazy the electoral college is. The popular vote was 51/49 Obama IIRC, but in electoral college points he had double McCain's score. Not that it matters since he still would've lost anyway.

I feel that Mike Huckabee could've done a far better job on the Republican side then McCain. Obama's young voters actually showed up, him appealing to them without them having too much thought, and I think Huckabee could've done it better. He only plays guitar and has Chuck Norris on his side, literally.

More importantly though, Huckabee had a more solid plan for the economy then McCain, which 60% of voters said was the most important issue. Huckabee also probably would've been more disagreeable to Obama then McCain was in the debates, and he's a much better debater in general then McCain ever will be.

Who knows? Maybe Huckabee will run again. Only time will tell.
Mike Huckabee is a ****ing lunatic, and if he ever becomes President I will literally move out of the United States.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Mike Huckabee is a ****ing lunatic, and if he ever becomes President I will literally move out of the United States.
Thanks for your solid argument. Your deep insights have swayed my opinion.

Where are all of the McCain supporters from earlier in the thread?
Probably left because McCain lost.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
This is... ridiculous. Whining is not going to solve anything. Just HOPE and or wish that Obama will do well instead of flaming him. Guess what... Canada's conservative party is supposed to be more liberal than the United States' democratic party. So lets stop being racist, stop saying Obama will be shot, and just let him do his thing.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Mike Huckabee opposes the teaching of evolution, gay marriage, gay civil unions, gay adoption, showing the ten commandments in schools, against stem cell research, and his whole reason for supporting Israel based on the bible, mentioned "taking the nation back for Christ", and amending the constitution to be in line with Christian doctrine. He also believed his comeback was the result of divine intervention. Now if you're a religious conservative this might be good, but to most everyone else that comes across as a crazy man who has no right to lead a diverse nation, when he makes it clear he'd only be a Christian leader instead of an American one.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
Mike Huckabee opposes the teaching of evolution, gay marriage, gay civil unions, gay adoption, showing the ten commandments in schools, against stem cell research, and his whole reason for supporting Israel based on the bible, mentioned "taking the nation back for Christ", and amending the constitution to be in line with Christian doctrine. He also believed his comeback was the result of divine intervention. Now if you're a religious conservative this might be good, but to most everyone else that comes across as a crazy man who has no right to lead a diverse nation, when he makes it clear he'd only be a Christian leader instead of an American one.
So he should be in the Constitution Party with Palin and the other whack-jobs, but isn't to increase his popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom