• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Dark Samus for Brawl thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Why so against the idea of Dark Samus being a clone?
Even in the most optimistic outlook, it's tough to imagine DS getting in before Ridley, and the chance of Brawl getting FOUR unique characters from Metroid (though possible) is very slight indeed.
But as a Samus clone, her chances are far better. So why not embrace it?
Face it, all the requirements are there. DS is the right shape, size, and build. It's easily possible for her to have Samus' moves, especially if they have added phazon particle effects. And making her float instead of run would be simple as well. As an added bonus, nay-sayers would be more accepting of Dark Samus as a clone; no more of that "how many Samus' do we need?" bullcrap.

Come on. Wouldn't it be worth it just to get DS in? I'd take a clone over an assist trophy any day.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Why so against the idea of Dark Samus being a clone?
Even in the most optimistic outlook, it's tough to imagine DS getting in before Ridley, and the chance of Brawl getting FOUR unique characters from Metroid (though possible) is very slight indeed.
But as a Samus clone, her chances are far better. So why not embrace it?
Face it, all the requirements are there. DS is the right shape, size, and build. It's easily possible for her to have Samus' moves, especially if they have added phazon particle effects. And making her float instead of run would be simple as well. As an added bonus, nay-sayers would be more accepting of Dark Samus as a clone; no more of that "how many Samus' do we need?" bullcrap.

Come on. Wouldn't it be worth it just to get DS in? I'd take a clone over an assist trophy any day.
Simply said, it's taking up a spot on the roster.

I have no opinion over Dark Samus, but if he/she's going to be a clone then he/she doesn't deserve to be in.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Simply said, it's taking up a spot on the roster.

I have no opinion over Dark Samus, but if he/she's going to be a clone then he/she doesn't deserve to be in.
Dark Samus is a she. Yes, it's been confirmed, and yes, by the developers, so you can start calling her she now.

Anyway, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Are you saying that any character who's a clone doesn't deserve to be a character? Because I can think of many, many Ganondorf, Falco, and Young Link fans who would disagree.
Personally, I think DS is prime clone material, by which I think she'd make a great clone. She could be the Ganondorf to Samus' Captain Falcon.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Dark Samus is a she. Yes, it's been confirmed, and yes, by the developers, so you can start calling her she now.

Anyway, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Are you saying that any character who's a clone doesn't deserve to be a character? Because I can think of many, many Ganondorf, Falco, and Young Link fans who would disagree.
Personally, I think DS is prime clone material, by which I think she'd make a great clone. She could be the Ganondorf to Samus' Captain Falcon.
What I mean is if the character's going to be a flat out clone they don't deserve to be in.

I think that Ganondorf and Falco should get different movesets. I just don't want anymore characters being added that are simply clones of another. If they're going to be added they need their own moveset.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
you have samus with suit and samus without a suit, that's more than enough IMO
They are the same samus!
You see two, but there is one!

I hate clones and agree with his logic. But I have found you to be a log of wood (burn him!!!).
DS is has so much more potential it would be a slap in the face to make her a clone, or even a luigified version of samus. You need to see that beyond the armor and the looks, you need to see the mechanics of how the characters work. You would be bouchering (d*** spelling) all of her kick a** moves and uniqueness.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I hate clones and agree with his logic. But I have found you to be a log of wood (burn him!!!).
DS is has so much more potential it would be a slap in the face to make her a clone, or even a luigified version of samus. You need to see that beyond the armor and the looks, you need to see the mechanics of how the characters work. You would be bouchering (d*** spelling) all of her kick a** moves and uniqueness.
Well, yeah, but then Ganondorf in Melee had far more potential than clone too, and I still main him.
Dark Samus has plenty of uniqueness, but her basic differences between her and Samus are threefold:
1) she floats
2) she powers up her attacks with Phazon
3) she can do freaky Phazon sheilds/ dematerialize
It's possible to have all of this and still be a clone. Walking, idle, blocking, and dodging animations can be redone so that DS floats, hovers, sheilds, and dematerializes properly. That's 1 and 3. Particle effects can be added to her attacks and stats can be changed to add power. There's 2. Heck, if you were REALLY feeling fancy, you could give her some kind of 'Phazon Burn' contact damage, an awesome idea I've seen floating round.
And you're done! I'm not saying that DS would be better as a clone than as an original character, I'm just saying that a clone is a **** sight better than an assist trophy, and as far as clones go, DS would make a very, very good one. An even lighter, floatier Samus balanced with more power? I'd play as that.

Some characters wouldn't make good clones. Ike, for instance, would make a crappy clone of Marth. But DS can make a good clone, one that's fun to play as. And if that improves her chances of being playable, then why fight a good thing?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Clones can be good, you know. The only way I see DS making it is as a [Luigified] clone. And wat's wrong with clones like Luigi, YLink, Falco, and Roy [even Pichu]=??? They add originality amongst a copy; heck, even Doc was a good character and added some originality.

DS would make a very good clone BTW, hopefully luigified. Clones=take 1/3rds to 1/4th the time to make as original characters, add more originality amongst characters [giving more time to focus on original character's movesets], etc.

They can be a overall good thing. Honestly, would you rather have Brawl with 40 original characters, or Brawl with 60 characters, 30 original, and 30 clones=??? [all with the same tier balance] Honestly, if there were no clones in Melee we'd basically have Luigi be original, maybe Falco or Roy be original, and G'dorf, YLink, Pichu, Doc, and Falco and/or Roy totally scraped from the game. So look at it from that aspect, clones can very well be a good thing. ;)

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well sakurai has all the time he needs to make characters, and it would be pointless to put DS in just to make her a clone, not to mention impossible. DS cannot use a flamethrower, cannot screw jump, cannot drop bombs, and cannot shoot rockets.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Samus lost her flamethrower, as evident from many pictures. It's more like some enrgy version of it that works in the same way. >_>

Also, it's not like they can't make phazon varients of all those other attacks.

(I support DS as a non clone, but must state the counter points when they present themselves. :O)

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
but why would they waste time emulating those attack when they could just use DS's moves, and ds can NOT screw jump, so they cant emulate that move

Stryks

Smash Hero
but why would they waste time emulating those attack when they could just use DS's moves, and ds can NOT screw jump, so they cant emulate that move
Thing is samus is human, so shes bound to kick and punch, and use her special abilities too, but dark samus aint human, not only will punching and kicking will make dark samus kinda odd but it would go totally against her abilities she has in her game (if sombody mentiones ganondorf, theres a reason to why hes a clone so if u must know ill tell u later)...

She could just move her hands or something and make like horizontal waves that have a reach of a normal sword...

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
All I'm gonna say is, in her games, Samus never punched, kicked, or used a flamethrower as she does in smash bros. Heck, she never even HAD a flamethrower in any of her games, aside from the Plazma Beam/Missle combo in Prime, and THAT came out AFTER both the original smash and Melee.

Besides, in Echoes she did that full-body phazon tackle, and also charged you with a modified boost ball. That's physical contact right there, which is more than Samus ever did to any enemy during any of her appearances in any of the Metroid games, ever. So I wouldn't say punching or kicking is off-limits just yet.
And who says DS can't do the screw attack? Aside from the fact that she seemed capable of anything Samus was (except with more Phazon), Corruption has yet to come out, right?
Let's not be so swift to limit DS abilities, there's still plenty more she can do thatwe haven't seen.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well i still think it would be a waste to clone DS when you could easily make her an original character

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
In a nutshell, I don't support Dark Samus. Now to actually back up my reasons...

I see Samus and Zero Suit Samus as two different characters game play wise, even if story wise their the same character and even transform into one another (at least Samus into Zamus). I don't know the actual reason why Zamus got in, if it was for humor, sex appeal, "Samus is a woman!", or some combination of those reasons or something else altogether. Point is, Zamus is on the character rooster, rather or not you can directly pick her from the character select screen. I have a feeling there's more likely to be three Metroid characters then four. I believe Ridley is a lot more deserving to get in before Dark Samus for various reasons, which I can go into detail if needed be. I kinda see Zamus as a WTF character, because based on fandom alone, she would have never got in. Heck, I can see it easily being argued for why Zamus shouldn't be in.

Anyway, I'm aware that Dark Samus plays quite a major role in MP2 and the upcoming MP3, including fighting similar but also quite differently from Samus. However, I still she isn't unique enough, at least compared to Samus, Zamus, and Ridley, to be worth getting in and taking a rooster slot of another character from another series.

Now, had there been no Zamus, I would agree with Dark Samus getting in, but since Zamus' here, I feel different about that as explained above. I still believe Dark Samus is more deserving then Zamus, but with all that's said and done, I don't see much room on the rooster anymore. As for an AT or even "costume", I think that would be great. About the costume thing, I know Samus and Dark Samus are a lot more different then say, Link and Dark Link, but if you wanna get a character playable without being an unique character or AT, there's only so much you can do. We'll have to accept a character in Smash isn't always perfectly like themselves from their own games.

Remember, these are just my views and it still ultimately matters what Sakurai thinks in the end, but that doesn't mean I still can't express my views on the subject.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yep, man if shes revealed tomorrow I would be so ****ing happy...

I mean when phantom hourglass was released in japan, thye revealed zelda in the same day, coincidence? meh I just hope for ANYTHING metroid releated, from a stage to a character item idc i just want metroid!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
****, I'm hoping the same, it's just too bad that it wasn't today:(, but if indeed something metroid related got on the Dojo this week, *praying for DS or Ridley tomorrow* then I would probably scream all the hapiness out of me :laugh:

The Bino

Smash Lord
D@mn Stryks i didn't know that Phantom Hourglass was released in Japan the same day that Zelda was shown on the Dojo.... MP3 is releasing 2morrow but my Gamestop said since i reserved it i can't get it until Wednesday, but its ok, im gonna play that game til all hell freezes over lol Metroid is my fav Nintendo Franchise so anything with Metroid and Samus related is for my liking

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
RIDLEY FOR BRAWL...

Prime isn't good enough for the metroid series for anyone from it to make a second Metroid rep...

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley and Dark Samus for Brawl, one of them will get in, so it's a win-win situation for me. Bwahaha.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well, if I see Dark Samus in. It will be pretty awesome. Not sure if its before or after Ridley though..

Seems like a cool character, I love the color shades.

-Onyx

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley>Dark Samus. But still, Dark Samus is awesome, come on... she... he... "it" can fly, become invincible and destroy bridges with his hand.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Dark Samus Owns, But Ridley Owns All

Well, I'm hoping that Zamus won't be a clone of Samus. If she's not, I wouldn't mind a Dark Samus. Just as long as she is unique, I'm cool with it.
My views exactly, but only if Sakurai has a dang good reason for not putting Ridley in Brawl. He would be my first choice for a Metroid Rep. In my opinion, having the villains outnumber the heroes is kinda weird.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
I didn't find any rules against reviving threads so here I am.

Dark Samus didn't seem like much of a character when I first considered it, but now that I've thought about possible movesets for DS, I'm thinking that she might actually make it into Brawl. So yeah, here's a moveset that I thought would be perfect for her.

Standard Special: Phazon Cannon

For this attack DS shoots multiple shots of phazon (probably 5 or something) at once like you see in the Prime games. This can also be charged which then shoots out fewer more powerful shots the longer you charge it.

Up Special: Particle Formation

Dark Samus bursts into a bunch of phazon particles (she doesn't just turn into particles, she bursts). The particles then move in the direction you tilt the control stick and DS reforms into her original form.

Side Special: Phazon Absorption

At a distant range, Dark Samus spews out a type of phazon adhesive that encases the enemy, much like you see a few guys in the metroid series. This will be similar to Yoshi's egg as they have to smash their way out. The phazon will drain their energy as they are encased. At close range, Dark Samus grabs the victim and waves her arms up and down (like you see in the games while she is absorbing the energy from phazon) and absorbs the energy from the enemy. The enemy will have this blue electrical aura around them while this is happening. Dark Samus recovers damage while performing this move.

Down Special: Phazon Comet

The Phazon Comet is used by Dark Samus in the first boss battle with her in Echoes. If she's on the ground, she levitates into the air, charges, forms into a ball of phazon energy and then strikes the ground with great force. If she's in the air, then....she'll do it from the air.

Shield: Phazon Barrier (this is assuming chars will have customized shields. This could also be her down + b. I'm not too sure which is better)

There are countless times in which DS is shielding herself from Samus' attacks. The Phazon Barrier creates a blue spherical barrier around DS and shields herself from any projectiles. The projectiles do not bounce off her shield but rather become disintegrated or absorbed by her shield. The shield is made of phazon afterall. Of course this would only happen if it were her down special. Otherwise it's just a shield. Unless of course customized shields have customized abilities. (unlikely but a cool thought)

So yeah, I don't feel like thinking of smash attacks atm, but if I do, I'll post em.

Tell me what you think of the moveset and whether or not you believe DS has a chance of making it to Brawl. I realize this is the 3rd time I've posted a moveset for her, but this time in it's her offiicial thread. ;)

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I've always supported Dark Samus. Before Pokemon Trainer was revealed, DS was the 'make or break line' for whether or not I would return brawl after beating 1P.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
man Dark Samus would be such a cool character. Imagine how unique she could be as well. Just the thought of her floating around the battlefield with bluish black smoke around her feet.. so cool.(floating similar to mewtwo i mean)

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
i don't know, but if dark samus was in at all it would be a real disappointment if she was just a clone. That's just the thing, they are completely different in the prime games. The most I could see would be dark samus having variations of samus's moves. But to be a flat out clone wouldn't be to cool. But I guess at least if she was in at all.

OniLink171

Smash Apprentice
I didn't find any rules against reviving threads so here I am.

Dark Samus didn't seem like much of a character when I first considered it, but now that I've thought about possible movesets for DS, I'm thinking that she might actually make it into Brawl. So yeah, here's a moveset that I thought would be perfect for her.

Standard Special: Phazon Cannon

For this attack DS shoots multiple shots of phazon (probably 5 or something) at once like you see in the Prime games. This can also be charged which then shoots out fewer more powerful shots the longer you charge it.

Up Special: Particle Formation

Dark Samus bursts into a bunch of phazon particles (she doesn't just turn into particles, she bursts). The particles then move in the direction you tilt the control stick and DS reforms into her original form.

Side Special: Phazon Absorption

At a distant range, Dark Samus spews out a type of phazon adhesive that encases the enemy, much like you see a few guys in the metroid series. This will be similar to Yoshi's egg as they have to smash their way out. The phazon will drain their energy as they are encased. At close range, Dark Samus grabs the victim and waves her arms up and down (like you see in the games while she is absorbing the energy from phazon) and absorbs the energy from the enemy. The enemy will have this blue electrical aura around them while this is happening. Dark Samus recovers damage while performing this move.

Down Special: Phazon Comet

The Phazon Comet is used by Dark Samus in the first boss battle with her in Echoes. If she's on the ground, she levitates into the air, charges, forms into a ball of phazon energy and then strikes the ground with great force. If she's in the air, then....she'll do it from the air.

Shield: Phazon Barrier (this is assuming chars will have customized shields. This could also be her down + b. I'm not too sure which is better)

There are countless times in which DS is shielding herself from Samus' attacks. The Phazon Barrier creates a blue spherical barrier around DS and shields herself from any projectiles. The projectiles do not bounce off her shield but rather become disintegrated or absorbed by her shield. The shield is made of phazon afterall. Of course this would only happen if it were her down special. Otherwise it's just a shield. Unless of course customized shields have customized abilities. (unlikely but a cool thought)

So yeah, I don't feel like thinking of smash attacks atm, but if I do, I'll post em.

Tell me what you think of the moveset and whether or not you believe DS has a chance of making it to Brawl. I realize this is the 3rd time I've posted a moveset for her, but this time in it's her offiicial thread. ;)
Hmmm... good moveset, here's mine:

Standard - A - three-hit combo of punches.

Strong - side - A - A quick backhand strike that knocks enemies back quite a bit.

Smash - Side - A powerful elbow forward that takes full advantage of the spikes on DS's suit.

Strong - Up -A - A sweep with the arm cannon. Hits enemies downward.

Smash - Up - A small, quick, three hit barrage with the arm cannon and kicks. (think Ganondorf's up smash)

Strong - Down - A - DS rotates quickly and hits enemies on both sides with a kick.

Smash - Down - DS releases a blast of Phazon into the ground (think Samus's down A).
Like Samus, the epicenter of the blast is at the cannon, down in front, but the blast releases a tail like a comet that streaks up and to the back, engulfing DS and enemies up and to the back (you could evade this blast if you were behing DS and you ducked).

Standard - B - Phazon Cannon - by rapidly pressing B, you can release a burst of shots. By holding down B, you can charge and save your shot with R (remember sheiks needles). A charged shot at full power releases a "blizzard" of phazon.

Side - B - Super Missle - Unlike Samus's missele, these are always the same for strong or smash attacks. It takes a while (half a minute) to reload the missile launcher, considering how fast and powerful these things are (comparable to a bob-omb smash thrown).

Down - B - Phazon Boost Ball - DS quickly turns into a morph ball and shoots at the enemy throwing them up in the air for nice damage. (similar to sonic's spin dash, but don't try using it for a recovery).

Up - B - Screw Strike - DS backflips in the air, hovers a fraction of a second, then zooms downward, dealing massive damage. It's Kirby's final cutter, but instead of a downstroke it has Falcon's kick.

Dask Samus's special abilities - to counteract the sucky recovery move, DS has a Jet Pack. Simply hold up after the final jump and DS zooms upward for a few seconds, hovers for about 10 seconds, then falls to the earth. Dark Samus pretty much needs this ability, as he/she also has no grapple hook (and thus has different throws, but i wont put them here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom