• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Dark Samus for Brawl thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
Yeah I mean the MP3 meteor, I think another good idea would be a zone filled with phazon like when the metroid prime core was able to create pools of phazon damaging anyone that gets near.
I have an idea to expand on yours. Dark samus would cause a small phazon explosion and move around like pikachu's volt tackle, only leaving pools of phazon as he/she/it goes, and as others touch the phazon, they get sent upwards, getting them ready to be rammed by dark samus.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok Gypsy u ask and u will receive:

Here are some vids [spoilers!]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTJ4bff3so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWmTNNIlao

Why should Dark samus be in brawl?? Here are the reasons:

As you all know the main enemy in MP was... well Metroid Prime, afte rbeing defeated, being his last chance of survival, he grabbed samus and took away the Phazon suit, and then explodes, samus thinks its over, but boy was she wrong...

As u can check from the 2nd tribute vid, a hand appears out of the Phazon poddle, Metroid prime now uses the phazon suit as a body, but changed it drastically, transforming herself into Dark Samus...

Many speculate Dark samus absorbs phazon to become Metroid prime again, in the last battle in MP2 u see clearly he is starting to transform, she has a similair look to metroid prime, so the speculation may indeed be correct...

Going on, in MP2 dark samus appears before samus, absorbing phazon, as u can see in the 1st vid, her moves are far diferent from samus, having a spreader beam, and the Phazon dive, these 2 can easily be part of her B moves, in future fights against her she uses a Ice-phazon type beam, a slicer beam that can cut trought metal, a far more powerful and baster boost ball, a phazon barrier, and firing to powerful phazon beams with one charge...

Point is she is more powerful in most areas, shes is fast, but Dark samus usually floats and and at a low speed, when escaping lock she moves very fast, point is dark samus can implemented with a slow speed, and floating, her main weapon being obcourse phazon, and having b moves with the list of abilities she has, already mentioned above...

Many speculate she would be a samus clone, and should only be an alt. costume... I say she shouldnt get such treatment, being the main enemy in the prime saga, returning in MP3 with more power than before, and having the ability to fly...

But stryks, ganondorf was a clone of falcon and is the main enemy of link!!
Ah yes true, but remember ganondorf was intended to be a clone, already having a sword based moveset, but by reasons I could explain later on he turned out a clone because sakurai couldnt develop the character he wanted du to the deadline of the game...

Dark samus is a unique boss, with far different abilities from samus, is the main enemy in the prime saga, and could be easily the runner up after ridley, which deserves the shot more, if u see the videos urself u will see the uniqueness and awesomness of dark samus...

One factor is that Japanese dont like the Prime saga, true but remember Metroid prime brough prime back from the dead, and seeing how the Prime saga is popular here in america, I say we should add the main enemy from the saga...

True her chances of apeparing in brawl as a clone (if the deadline is once again the factor in brawl), but if sakurai has the time then her chances apeparin as a no-clone rises, also sakurai himself said he wanted to better represent the metroid series, thus with ridley and dark samus we would have 3 metroid character (4 considering zamus) in brawl, and seems a reasonable number considering that metroid is one of nintendos biggest series...

Ad that's how I roll XD

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Ok Gypsy u ask and u will receive:

Here are some vids [spoilers!]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTJ4bff3so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWmTNNIlao

Why should Dark samus be in brawl?? Here are the reasons:

As you all know the main enemy in MP was... well Metroid Prime, afte rbeing defeated, being his last chance of survival, he grabbed samus and took away the Phazon suit, and then explodes, samus thinks its over, but boy was she wrong...

As u can check from the 2nd tribute vid, a hand appears out of the Phazon poddle, Metroid prime now uses the phazon suit as a body, but changed it drastically, transforming herself into Dark Samus...

Many speculate Dark samus absorbs phazon to become Metroid prime again, in the last battle in MP2 u see clearly he is starting to transform, she has a similair look to metroid prime, so the speculation may indeed be correct...
I already knew all that. I said I played the games, but don't understand what's so great about her.

Going on, in MP2 dark samus appears before samus, absorbing phazon, as u can see in the 1st vid, her moves are far diferent from samus, having a spreader beam, and the Phazon dive, these 2 can easily be part of her B moves, in future fights against her she uses a Ice-phazon type beam, a slicer beam that can cut trought metal, a far more powerful and baster boost ball, a phazon barrier, and firing to powerful phazon beams with one charge...

Point is she is more powerful in most areas, shes is fast, but Dark samus usually floats and and at a low speed, when escaping lock she moves very fast, point is dark samus can implemented with a slow speed, and floating, her main weapon being obcourse phazon, and having b moves with the list of abilities she has, already mentioned above...
I know what she can do. Her moves are pretty unique, however, a unique moveset doesn't make for a good character. Characters must have a background, a purpose, and above all, a personality. Dark Samus has none of those qualities.

Many speculate she would be a samus clone, and should only be an alt. costume... I say she shouldnt get such treatment, being the main enemy in the prime saga, returning in MP3 with more power than before, and having the ability to fly...

But stryks, ganondorf was a clone of falcon and is the main enemy of link!!
Ah yes true, but remember ganondorf was intended to be a clone, already having a sword based moveset, but by reasons I could explain later on he turned out a clone because sakurai couldnt develop the character he wanted du to the deadline of the game...
Clones are put into the game for two reasons:

1) There was an important character that was supposed to be included into the game, but couldn't due to programming problems (Pit and his wings) or time constraints (Balloon Fighter). So, of those who weren't included, ones that shared a similar build to other characters were made into clones.

2) The game is in need of a few more characters to beef up the roster, so to fill it out quickly, minor characters that are similar to a character that has already been included are givin a near identical moveset and slapped onto the game before the deadline.

Reason #2 isn't applicable this time around because Sakurai doesn't really have a deadline this time around. Reason #1 does not work for Dark Samus because she isn't really that important of a character. She was a villain that was thrown into the already poor story of the Prime series in order to give the games a point. She has no backstory or feelings or even a logical reason to "collect phazon" other than to become more powerful, which she has no reason to do either.

Dark samus is a unique boss, with far different abilities from samus, is the main enemy in the prime saga, and could be easily the runner up after ridley, which deserves the shot more, if u see the videos urself u will see the uniqueness and awesomness of dark samus...
Now you are rehashing what you said in the first paragraph. Like I said before, uniqueness isn't everything.

One factor is that Japanese dont like the Prime saga, true but remember Metroid prime brough prime back from the dead, and seeing how the Prime saga is popular here in america, I say we should add the main enemy from the saga...
Prime didn't bring back Metroid from the dead, the Gameboy Advance did. Fusion picked up where Super Metroid left off and carried the Metroid torch. Prime basically bombed outside of North America, so Fusion released at the same time and was undoubtedly the more popular game worldwide. But the truth is, Metroid never really died. Metroid was still going strong in Japan, just not in games. The game's story and plot was even thickened due to manga and comics.

Sakurai is going with a Zero Mission look for the Metroid, I don't care what you say, or anyone else says, but I'd bet money that the Prime series will go almost unnoticed aside from maybe a trophy or an AT.

True her chances of apeparing in brawl as a clone (if the deadline is once again the factor in brawl), but if sakurai has the time then her chances apeparin as a no-clone rises, also sakurai himself said he wanted to better represent the metroid series, thus with ridley and dark samus we would have 3 metroid character (4 considering zamus) in brawl, and seems a reasonable number considering that metroid is one of nintendos biggest series...
A franchise's size has nothing to do with the quality of their characters, and there is no such thing as that kind of franchise representation in Smash Bros. You have all misinterpreted what Sakurai said. He simply means that the Metroid series shouldn't be stuck with just Samus forever, because most of the other series from the original Smash Bros had more than one character in Melee, and will probably have even more in Brawl. And since Metroid is a deserving series with more characters than just Samus, another character should be included from the games.

That all sounds sort of confusing, but basically what I'm saying is that the Smash Bros is a game for characters, not franchises, and the size of a series shouldn't determine the number of representatives from each game, but the quality and popularity of the characters. Metroid will have Samus (she is the main protagonist of every game in the series) and Ridley (he is the arch rival of Samus, has a history dating back to Samus' childhood, and is a major reoccuring boss in the series). Why just them? Because as far as important characters go, that's all Metroid has.

Ad that's how I roll XD
And you didn't prove anything, so you've yet to convince me.

Care to try again? ;)

Stryks

Smash Hero
1.- I already knew all that. I said I played the games, but don't understand what's so great about her.

2.- I know what she can do. Her moves are pretty unique, however, a unique moveset doesn't make for a good character. Characters must have a background, a purpose, and above all, a personality. Dark Samus has none of those qualities.

3.-Clones are put into the game for two reasons:

1) There was an important character that was supposed to be included into the game, but couldn't due to programming problems (Pit and his wings) or time constraints (Balloon Fighter). So, of those who weren't included, ones that shared a similar build to other characters were made into clones.

2) The game is in need of a few more characters to beef up the roster, so to fill it out quickly, minor characters that are similar to a character that has already been included are givin a near identical moveset and slapped onto the game before the deadline.

Reason #2 isn't applicable this time around because Sakurai doesn't really have a deadline this time around. Reason #1 does not work for Dark Samus because she isn't really that important of a character. She was a villain that was thrown into the already poor story of the Prime series in order to give the games a point. She has no backstory or feelings or even a logical reason to "collect phazon" other than to become more powerful, which she has no reason to do either.

4.- Now you are rehashing what you said in the first paragraph. Like I said before, uniqueness isn't everything.

5.- Prime didn't bring back Metroid from the dead, the Gameboy Advance did. Fusion picked up where Super Metroid left off and carried the Metroid torch. Prime basically bombed outside of North America, so Fusion released at the same time and was undoubtedly the more popular game worldwide. But the truth is, Metroid never really died. Metroid was still going strong in Japan, just not in games. The game's story and plot was even thickened due to manga and comics.

Sakurai is going with a Zero Mission look for the Metroid, I don't care what you say, or anyone else says, but I'd bet money that the Prime series will go almost unnoticed aside from maybe a trophy or an AT.

6.- A franchise's size has nothing to do with the quality of their characters, and there is no such thing as that kind of franchise representation in Smash Bros. You have all misinterpreted what Sakurai said. He simply means that the Metroid series shouldn't be stuck with just Samus forever, because most of the other series from the original Smash Bros had more than one character in Melee, and will probably have even more in Brawl. And since Metroid is a deserving series with more characters than just Samus, another character should be included from the games.

That all sounds sort of confusing, but basically what I'm saying is that the Smash Bros is a game for characters, not franchises, and the size of a series shouldn't determine the number of representatives from each game, but the quality and popularity of the characters. Metroid will have Samus (she is the main protagonist of every game in the series) and Ridley (he is the arch rival of Samus, has a history dating back to Samus' childhood, and is a major reoccuring boss in the series). Why just them? Because as far as important characters go, that's all Metroid has.

7.-And you didn't prove anything, so you've yet to convince me.

Care to try again? ;)
1.- Well let me try this again...

2.- Background: Dark samus is metroid prime as we all know, metroid prime itself was created by being exposed for so mlong to high radiations of phazon, the space pirates where gonna use her for a weapon but everything backfired, the chozo themselves died because of the meteor that had within itself phazon, they left logs to aid samus to finish off the beast and the meteor itself and save Tallon IV

Purpose: Gain all the phazon at its disposal, and try to become metroid prime once again, in MP3 she infects many planets with phazon seeds, she alone is doing this and being a threat to the galaxy itself...

Personality: Not much of a personality, just a merciless phazon-hungry planet-infecting beast with a large arsenal of weapons...

3.- The prime series has a great story having more depth in my opinion that the side-scroller games, u se the struggling of the alien races, while theyre planets are slowly being destroyed, being cuase by the unknown material named phazon...

Shes infecting the planets and absorbing phazon to become metroid prime once again, and spread phazon along the galaxy, to rule it most likely...

Sakurai DOES have a deadline: 2007, The president of NOA (forgot name) think its Reggie, promised a 07 released of Galaxy and brawl, thus he could end up with the same problem he had for melee...

4.- True uniqueness aint everything, but are more intriguing, and have more possibilities for a great character; DS aint a melee type person, so instead of fists and kicks, sakurai could make dark samus control phazon, with a move of a hand phazon could come out and attack the oponent, with this dark samus would have sword-like range without a sword, something that hasnt been done before, obcourse He can think of something better...

5.- Fusion and prime came out at the same time, so u cant say just fusion saved mretroid, when I say dead I meant the lack of games in the last years, being a manga or not...

What Im triying to say, even though the lack of popularity in japan, metroid prime has brought back popularity in metroid then it was before it was released, now more people know samus, thanx to the new games that have came out recently, MP:H was popular in japan, seeing how 3 hunters apepared in the poll, this shows than prime is still somewhat popular, but not as much as in the states...

6.- How do u know he didnt meant: "with the growing popularity of metroid in the last years, I want to better represent the series in brawl" thus meaning more characters/items/stages/music, and not what u said??

Obviously the series has importance, why doesnt the Fox series have as much characters as mario, why doesnt pokemon only get one character like the Fzero series? because both mario and pokemon are nintendos biggest franchises, and deserve more rep than the usual franchise...

Metroid, as sakurai stated, has become more popular over the years, and thus deserves more rep, Samus/zamus, and ridley are shoe ins, yet only 3 characters doesnt seem enough, seeing how FE may get 3, and itaint as bitg as metroid, 4 characters is a good minimum for characters, Dark samus is easily the runner up, if another metroid character can join the fray it could be a hunter, seeing how they appeared on the poll

7.- Doubt that will do, but if u dont see why the character is awesome, then maybe u just dont like the prime series as much as other players, I for one love the prime series as much as the 2d games, and I find dark samus an awesome character, with so much varity that would make him a good character in brawl...

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
< is convinced that Dark Samus is deserving, and thinks she would be an awesome character now, thank you.

But, I still don't see her as anymore than a mindless monster/filler character for the Prime series. She has no qualities that make for an interesting character, but I do like some of the ideas for the movesets. My money is still on AT.

And I strongly disagree with the franchise representation bullsh*t, but that's an argument for another thread, so I won't say anything.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
How can people say that Megaman would be a Samus clone and then say they want Dark Samus.....

Stryks

Smash Hero
1st off I agree, megaman cant be a samus clone... BUT:

WHAT?! BLASPHEMY!! THIS IS MADNESS!!

Wrong, dark link is like 100% copy of Link, but dark samus is another story:

Metroid prime after being defeated, stole samus phazon suit, and after the explosion, he use it as a abse for a new body, even tough they look similair, their very diferent, the only thing they have in common are the physical look and a part of the name:

Dark samus has a phazon spreader shot, which at close range does brutal damage...
He also has a slicer-type beam, that can cut trough metal, and an Ice beam-type attack but instead of Ice its phazon, thus does a lot of damage...
He also has non-beam related attack like the Phazon dive, dark samus charges energy in its body and afterwards he goes straight forward the enemy, crashing to the eart, making a shockwave in the process...
He also has a phazon barrier, it repels projectiles and knocks u back as far as fox's shine in melee...
She also has standard phazon beams, tought they take more to charge, one FULL charge sends out 2 beams, one after the other instead...

This alone proves some diferences between the both, now if dark samus instead of using fists and kicks, he can use phazon waves to attack, the moves would have links' master sword in range, and would fit dark samus completely...

I AM STRYKS, THE DARK SAMUS DEFENDER!!
Also HAVE you played mp2? if not I dont see how u can call him a clone, since you dont know his abilities, dark samus AINT samus...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La di da~

Neutral B: A charge beam. Looks like Samus’s but it’s different. Instead of one big energy ball, DS will shoot a spread beam. When normally shot, it will be a small spread, and will not go far, but when charged fully, it will spread a lot farther. It’s got a longer vertical range that Samus’s attacks when fully charged, but doesn’t go as far.

Forward B: DS glows and floats a bit upwards, and four tiny phazon spots fly upwards from her, and float slowly down, like snowflakes. If touched, they will detonate like a morph ball.

Up B: DS curls and charges. Once released, she will rocket forward in any direction. Only a instant of charging can help her recover somewhat, but if held to long, the extra distance won’t compensate the amount she has fallen. It can be used across the ground, or crashing back into it to hurt opponents.

Down B: DS flexes and roars, and phazon seeps down onto the ground below her. The phazon will stay on the ground for several seconds, and if a opponent walks on top of it, it will work like acid, and their damage gauge will increase steadily with no knock back. The phazon is only there for enough time for DS to make about three or four without once disappearing.

FS: DS turns into Metroid Prime and sends her tentacles all around. If the tentacle touches a opponent, they will be frozen in the tentacle. After a few seconds of flailing around, Metroid Prime will stop, and then send phazon pulses through the bodies of any captured prey.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, at least DS and Ridley's chances are higher since ZSS is a half-***** character and Sakurai promised more Metroid representation.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Dark Samus is such an incredibly lame character. I'm not even going to start.
WTF! Did you even read the first page of this thread?! If you think so, then tell everyone why you think so! Don't post if you don't have anything to say that is important for the conversation or won't get you burned! I know I'm flaming, but it's stupid to do things like sticking your hand in a crocodile's mouth, pointing a firework at your face when you fire, or POSTING ON A THREAD JUST TO GET BURNED!

EDIT-^^^

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Dark Samus is actually a legit character. Problems with her getting in: Her name is similar to Samus, she looks similar to Samus, and she's competing with Ridley to get in, which means she loses if there's only two Metroid spots.

But, she could actually play quite uniquely to any other characters. She'd have lots of energy attacks, and other such things. Heck, you fight her four different times in Echoes, each time with different moves...you got half a moveset just from that game.

Gindor

Smash Ace
DS would probably make it in for her potential.
Ridley would probaly make it in for the fact he would reprisent the series better because he was in a lot more games.
I for one would rather see DS in, but ridley has a higher chance in my opinion, due to the small fact thet DS and samus look very much alike, but that fact probably won't have an impact on the character designers.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Can't you just be happy with an alt costume? Does it really need to be an entire character I mean come on. Samus, Zero Suit Samus AND Dark Samus? I prefer Ridley.

@Gindor, for enlightenment play a Megaman game. Any except battle Network, the rest are fantastic. I recommend Megaman Zero or any of the SNES X series.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Can't you just be happy with an alt costume? Does it really need to be an entire character I mean come on. Samus, Zero Suit Samus AND Dark Samus? I prefer Ridley.

@Gindor, for enlightenment play a Megaman game. Any except battle Network, the rest are fantastic. I recommend Megaman Zero or any of the SNES X series.
I'll try to play some megaman games in the future:)

Well, wouldn't it be weird for the anouncer to say samus, but for DS to appear. I would be happy with an alt costume though, it would be a lot cooler to play as DS. I am not that much of a DS fan FYI, don't burn me for saying I would be happy with an alt costume, I just have others a tad higher on my list.:)

Stryks

Smash Hero

Yeah ok, why dont we make jiggly an alt. costume for kirby, just because they look similai...

Samus AIN'T DARK SAMUS, how the hell would samus fight herself in mp2-mp3??

Shuma

Smash Hero
DS can't be an Alt. Costume, he/she/it doesn't use any similar moves to those of Samus...

Well... Blue Super Missile.

El HP

Smash Ace
No one is saying DS should take Ridley spot, ZSS is basically a joke/gimmick character the Metroid series needs real representation and DS is an excellent choice to fill that void.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Yeah ok, why dont we make jiggly an alt. costume for kirby, just because they look similai...

Samus AIN'T DARK SAMUS, how the hell would samus fight herself in mp2-mp3??
Jiggs is from and entirely different series, and has nothing to do with Kirby, Kirby is a cannibal, Jiggs is a slave animal used to fight. Samus is a bounty hunter, DS is a clone/alien copy of Samus who "fights a little differently." I'm just saying it doesn't add as much vairaity as we could, Jiggs and Kirby aside.

Characters fight themselves all the time in Smash

I never said Samus was Dark Samus

Stryks

Smash Hero
even if they were from diferent series, everyone is saying they would be clones just cause they look similair, if thats the case then:

Zelda and alt. for peach
Jiggly and alt. for kirby
wolf and alt. for fox

and so on, just look outside the box, fight dark samus in mp2 and you will see how diferent he is from samus, and no way can he be an alt. for samus...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It's a she, not he. :O

And why not a alt costume if she's not in as fully playable? Heck, it doesn't even need to be a alt costume. Just a pallet swap of Samus in that armor. Though technically I really want that Phazon suit coloring also.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
I love Metroid, I've played every game, but Dark ANYTHING is a piss poor character idea.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah a phazon hungry, earth corrupting, galaxy treathening (sp?), revenge hungry walking radioactive monster set on corrupting every single planet out there is such a abd character [/sarcasm]

Pieman0920

Smash Master
No, Dark Samus is a girl. It's mentioned quite a bit.

Metroid Prime was considered a female metroid, though Metroids really don't look like they have genders. Then again there was a queen metroid,, who produced baby metroids, and since Metroid Prime can also create baby metroids, it seems to be considered as female.

This is coupled with the fact that it absorbed Samus's suit, and has basically copied her, and we all know what gender Samus is. Heck it'd be odd if there is any "dark" version of a character that is the opposite gender.

That and she's referred to as a she in the log. :O

JesterBox

Smash Ace
even if they were from diferent series, everyone is saying they would be clones just cause they look similair, if thats the case then:

Zelda and alt. for peach
Jiggly and alt. for kirby
wolf and alt. for fox

and so on, just look outside the box, fight dark samus in mp2 and you will see how diferent he is from Samus, and no way can he be an alt. for samus...
Fine, I have Mp Echoes but never finished it I'll go fight DS, but opinions aren't east to change. He?

And Wolf being and alt for Fox is fine with me, so long as we get at least 3 Star Fox characters.

I agree with Xandreous. Dark mario fights with a paint brus but not brawl worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom