• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Think whatever you may OS, but all I'm talking about is the match-up from Diddy's point of view. You put ROB above you, overwhelm him with items, outcamp the camper, and in the end win.

I neglected one IMPORTANT part of this match-up though, and I thank you for making me realize it- keep a naner in hand at all times. This is what allows one to find openings.

$50 MM whenever we meet up, k? :)

napZzz

Smash Hero
Kind of. Last Diddy that happened to I just kept hitting with lasers while he was on the ledge. ROB can hit you with lasers from anywheres XD

but yeah, you've got the right idea
it shouldn't be too hard to avoid a laser when you can be on the other side of the stage from a rob on the edge and watch him tilt the head back to shoot and see what he's going to do ahead of time pretty much. can Rob hit diddy when he's on the other edge? Like dropping and barreling back up continously or something? I doubt he could because then he could have the invincibility frames to avoid one that might hit his head when he's just on the edge and rob would have to jump way up and time it right and thats obvious to see coming anyways.

People should stop trying to fight planking and just plank/camp back in a situation like that where they have percent lead. No need to waste your time when you're winning the match

Overswarm

is laughing at you
it shouldn't be too hard to avoid a laser when you can be on the other side of the stage from a rob on the edge and watch him tilt the head back to shoot and see what he's going to do ahead of time pretty much. can Rob hit diddy when he's on the other edge? Like dropping and barreling back up continously or something? I doubt he could because then he could have the invincibility frames to avoid one that might hit his head when he's just on the edge and rob would have to jump way up and time it right and thats obvious to see coming anyways.

People should stop trying to fight planking and just plank/camp back in a situation like that where they have percent lead. No need to waste your time when you're winning the match
ROB can throw a gyro across the stage and have it land on the edge, hitting you if you try to get up / stay on the ledge.

He can also drop down and laser you if you barrel, thus killing you.

He can also hit your hands if you're on the edge too long by shooting a laser at you.

Depending on the stage, he can actually drop down and hit you from below the stage if you're on the edge.

napZzz

Smash Hero
ROB can throw a gyro across the stage and have it land on the edge, hitting you if you try to get up / stay on the ledge.

He can also drop down and laser you if you barrel, thus killing you.

He can also hit your hands if you're on the edge too long by shooting a laser at you.

Depending on the stage, he can actually drop down and hit you from below the stage if you're on the edge.
I doubt anyone has the accuracy/prediction to do those things to a diddy who just watches the ROB and baits his lasers or gyro to go to certain spots. They aren't instant, so as long as the diddy has a weird way of moving around on the edge above and below it I doubt rob will be able to hit him

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I doubt anyone has the accuracy/prediction to do those things to a diddy who just watches the ROB and baits his lasers or gyro to go to certain spots. They aren't instant, so as long as the diddy has a weird way of moving around on the edge above and below it I doubt rob will be able to hit him
OMG, yer like totally right. No one ever gets hit by ROBs projectiles, thats y gud ROBERTS dun use 'em no more! The game's been out a while now, people learned good how to dodge 'em! lololol

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, what does it take for a novice to get noticed around here?
I posted on page 11, and then these better, more well-known people got these conversations going...
If you're going to critique, thanks. And if you only want to watch one, watch the second one.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Jeez, what does it take for a novice to get noticed around here?
I posted on page 11, and then these better, more well-known people got these conversations going...
If you're going to critique, thanks. And if you only want to watch one, watch the second one.
I really am behind on the metagame with online, if there's a delay, I can't play worth a dingleberry ;P Sorry I can't really critique. All I've gotta say is Samus has mega frametraps online XD

Count

Smash Champion
Hobs!!

Excellent Alias btw.

Since I was the one that stole all of your attention, I will repay you with some probably unhelpful critique:

-usually regular getup is better when the nana isn't yours..otherwise you slip a bunch

-more bair oos less rolling. every diddy has this problem sometimes. Rollilng is especially tempting on wifi.

if you do roll under people, use dtilt more. Rolling under people-->dsmash is really dangerous.

SH fair is good if you're desperate for a kill..I didn't see you SH fair much and samus is a character it can work on. Also I didn't see much monkey flip (side b)..while you have to be really careful about using the kick because it is easily shield grabbed, the latch is really good sometimes.

dunno how the connection was, but DRIBBLE! (although may be hard vs samus)

you always follow up with DA. Use grabs sometimes.

Too much dsmash. Fsmash is better if its fresh and dsmash is stale, and whiffing dsmashes so much gets you punished. Your trademark appeared to be roll to dsmash when you were in a rough situation.

went for fair a lot, can be dangerous due to landing lag. certain situations bair was better.

SH fair off the ledge is really dangerous. Leads to Shield grab or punishment during landing lag, make sure you're super safe if you do it.

Those are just the notes I jotted down on notepad while I was watching. You do a lot of stuff well; I was just looking for stuff that would maybe be helpful. Sorry if its not helpful at all, your diddy is coming along well :).

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
OK, well thanks for acknowledging my presence anyways.

Edit: oops, ^ directed at Dekar173

@Count: Not helpful? Nonsense. Thanks a lot, as that's really the first critique I've gotten ever. Got it, though. Less roll, less d-smash, less fair, less DA. Yep, sounds like me.
:) < As you can tell, I'm happier.

Count

Smash Champion
Yeah-basically:).

Fair is good and you used it alright I just thought there were some situations where bair would be better. Fair is such an amazing move but you gotta be careful due to the ending lag.

But the other stuff is basically what you said. My aim is cougarpg2008 if you have any other questions about what I said.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm gonna back OS here. EC ROB's are bad.
^Dis

I barely touch the character and I can still go toe-to-toe with my ROB. AZ, unfortunately, is going to make me clean off my rust with him. He dominated my MK and beat my ROB in the 3rd game.

On the last stock of our game, I was behind about 100% or so. Still not KO range for Diddy, but getting close. I got one grab and almost won the game... because that's all it takes.

Diddy's a better character, so he's going to win more exchanges overall, but ROB has a significant advantage and can beat a Diddy while winning only one in four exchanges, if not less.

I think Diddy is a much stronger character overall, but ROB's edgeguarding literally can't be beaten by Diddy. ROB has to mess up or Diddy has to trick him.... and when ROB can gimp Diddy but Diddy can't kill ROB until obscene percentages, it's an uphill battle.

AZ, you should test the single nanner lock on ROB. ROB's huge, so it'd be easier. If you could get that going on ROB, it'd be a much easier matchup for Diddy.

napZzz

Smash Hero
OMG, yer like totally right. No one ever gets hit by ROBs projectiles, thats y gud ROBERTS dun use 'em no more! The game's been out a while now, people learned good how to dodge 'em! lololol
wow. This troll post hit me so hard.

I'm just saying its not hard to avoid them if you're on the other side of the stage and see them coming. Sorry if this is off topic though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Call me crazy, but moving from one vulnerable position (where you have the option of shielding) to another vulnerable position where you don't have the option to shield only to allow ROB on the stage to gain control is a little odd.

Dekar173

Justice Man
SNL leads into a spike on ROB 9 times out of 10. But as has been brought up already, he has one of (if not THE BEST) meteor cancelling upBs in the game, as well as fuel to burn!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, since he's heavy we can probably

SNL > dair > footstool

at low percents (dair around 10-15)

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
It depends on their hurtbox size more than how fat/big/heavy they are^

napZzz

Smash Hero
Bigger characters don't make the single naner lock any easier, iirc.
It makes it easier to hit them and initiate it in the first place though. I think thats what people are trying to say.
SNL leads into a spike on ROB 9 times out of 10. But as has been brought up already, he has one of (if not THE BEST) meteor cancelling upBs in the game, as well as fuel to burn!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, since he's heavy we can probably

SNL > dair > footstool

at low percents (dair around 10-15)
I bet dair-footstoool- maybe even another dair could work? I Dunno, its all theory talk I guess but you could probably either kill him or give him hell trying to get back. Maybe fast falling down offstage after the spike then doing the monkey hump-footstool thing if thats possible. Just more theory talk

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't believe in the SNL's effectiveness until I actually see it used effectively.

When that happens, I'll bother to learn it. Until then OS, the technique is like jump canceled shines in melee...except trying to do it perfectly without even a single frame of mistake 10 times in a row.

Except its even harder than that. Nothing in Melee is even comparable in difficultly imo.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I don't believe in the SNL's effectiveness until I actually see it used effectively.

When that happens, I'll bother to learn it. Until then OS, the technique is like jump canceled shines in melee...except trying to do it perfectly without even a single frame of mistake 10 times in a row.

Except its even harder than that. Nothing in Melee is even comparable in difficultly imo.
jump canceling a shine isn't even hard, unless you're talking about the things you can do with the jc shine, which would be character dependent, so I have no idea how difficult whatever you're talking about is. Cuz its not hard to jump after hitting down b, or if its some other dumb shine thing I dont know about cuz I'm a melee scrub.
I couldnt agree more. I have more important points in my game to improve, but by all means Dekar keep going strong ^_^.

Become a legend
The SNL wont get anywhere unless people practice it in the first place and try to implement it into their game. Its cool that people are still trying to promote this, because if they do find ways to work it into their game its a free stock and a great tool to have.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
FYI; there's an easier way to bait Falco's reflector. Forget dribbling; if he reflectors your shield, you can drop shield and side-B OOS with banana still in hand before his reflector returns. :3

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Okay, you really arn't bad at all. If you practiced Diddy and learned what he is all about then I think you can do pretty well.

You face what most new Diddy players go through. You have your banana control down but you are missing out on a lot of approaches, kill opportunities, and % racking naner combos. If you get the trip in with a naner you can do a lot more with it like pulling out a second banana or follow up with a Dsmash. I recommend watching some videos of ADHD to learn what kind of stuff you should do in different situations. You can GT pretty well and you know how to overwhelm your opponent but three matches of playing you and your opponent will start to catch on.

The side B kick has quite a bit of priority and can be used a lot more than you think. It's good against Falco especially (for me) and should be used often to force a retreat and leave his reflector useless. Snake just requires constant naner rapage or else you are going to feel the bad end of an up tilt or f tilt. IMO it becomes a game of keep away, trying to stay away from his approaches and getting in a few naners in the mean time. Try and get as much percent as possible with TWO naners, you would kill him sooner than %200 with a Dsmash near the edge.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Ok thanks for the critique so far.

I watched some matches of ADHD before, but nevertheless thanks :3

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Still, it is good if you really analyze what a good Diddy does. They are great for comparing what you do, to what he does.

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
Man, it took me a while to get some vids. Well anyways, here's some bracket matches of a tournament I went to on Saturday.

Me vs. Lain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8fCO7RS4h4&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKy0RMvMze0&feature=channel_page

Me vs. WTP (kirby):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUGh74_JZvA&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvjgo0RXns&feature=related

It's pretty obvious that I still have a lot to learn as far as counter picking goes, and this was only my second legit tournament so nerves kinda got the best of me in some matches. The kirby ones would probably be better to critique because I don't get straight up massacred in those.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
EDIT:

Ok, The Lain matches were BS. It was an obvious skill gap so i'm not even going to worry about those.

The Kirby matches were perfect for you skill-wise. That Kirby basically handed you out invitations to naner spam him. He gave you way too much breathing room yet you hardly did anything that you should have. As I was watching them I could just see the oppurtunities go right on by and instead you throw a naner up or randomly throw it off when he's above the ledge. Sometimes you didn't learn from your mistakes the first time and repeated them over and over again. A big problem is just simply that you don't know what you can do with the naners so you treat them like any other projectile (Falco/Rob lazors for example). Peach's turnips and Diddy's bananas should never be used as a throw away projectile yet people sadly don't understand them and their potential doesn't shine. You need to work on your strategy a lot. Watch back over your videos and write down all the times you find a missed approach or a missed naner trip.

Though you did pull off some good, damaging, combos, I usually don't go for things like that though I probably should.

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
The Kirby matches were perfect for you skill-wise. That Kirby basically handed you out invitations to naner spam him. He gave you way too much breathing room yet you hardly did anything that you should have. As I was watching them I could just see the oppurtunities go right on by and instead you throw a naner up or randomly throw it off when he's above the ledge. Sometimes you didn't learn from your mistakes the first time and repeated them over and over again. A big problem is just simply that you don't know what you can do with the naners so you treat them like any other projectile (Falco/Rob lazors for example). Peach's turnips and Diddy's bananas should never be used as a throw away projectile yet people sadly don't understand them and their potential doesn't shine. You need to work on your strategy a lot. Watch back over your videos and write down all the times you find a missed approach or a missed naner trip.

Though you did pull off some good, damaging, combos, I usually don't go for things like that though I probably should.
Yeah, looking back on them I realize that I was on crack when I was playing. I don't know what was going through my head, usually I always use two naners. I guess my nerves got a hold of me more than I thought. Just to get a grasp of what you mean though, you're basically saying that I need to learn how to use my bananas more effectively and not take them for granted by just throwing them away?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Basically. I'm glad you can watch back over your videos and understand. Critiquing yourself is the best way to get better. All I do is point out what you should re-look.

MetaMeeks

Smash Apprentice
Good deal. Makes sense actually, I've never been much of a strategy person. These tournaments are bi-weekly though so I'll have more vids up after the 17th. Hopefully I perform to my full potential next time. Does anyone else critique these or is basically just you Goose?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Ingulit used to help out alot and Felix has been helping quite a bit lately but this thread isn't full of help. Which I don't get because making your own thread would get much more results. Why those people actually try to make THIS thread work, I will never understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom