• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count

Smash Champion
Marth can't really do anything when he is above you. Most of the stuff that makes marth threatening are gone when he is above you, and uthrowing gives you some much needed space against marth-you can go for another hit, you can pull out a banana, you can run away and pull out a banana..you just overall have more options. Uthrow is pretty key in the marth matchup, in my opinion, and I would say in many other diddy kong mainer's opinions as well.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
JJ, I like your overall play style but you need to work more on your offensive game. You play defensive very well and don't jump into the **** too much. Work on punishing every mistake your opponent makes as well as you can. Try to work on follow ups to your dash attack depending on where your opponent gets hit and remember to always be mixing it up. You could also mix it up by following up your bananas with more throws, smashes, and tilts. Also, find more ways to lead into your finishers because at certain points you got a bit predictable.

Dekar173

Justice Man
JJ, work a little on your DI, you died earlier than you should have, and that alone can sway the match (remember, analog stick should be pointed perpendicular to the direction you're launched, and you should be SDIing toward the stage/down, assuming you're DIing yourself up).

Just a general tip. Another thing is you shouldn't be standing still so often, and less autopilot! Don't just blindly throw stuff, silly ;D

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Thanks for all the input! I've been working on playing more agressively and I am noticing significant improvement in just a few days.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
pull no punches! be as brutally honest as necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZfzwoqDBY

my diddy needs help >_>
the first big thing i see is the rolling. cut down on the rolling! there are better things to space with like dribbling and gts.

also, watch out when you gt forward into yoshi's shield, a gt backwards will keep you out of shield grab range.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
yea i know lol.. i never watch videos of myself playing and after i saw this i was embarrassed as to how much i roll.. i mean diddy has a good roll but ****

Count

Smash Champion
Every diddy goes through a rolling phase. This is what I did to get out of mine:

Played my friend who is a lot worse than me, anytime I rolled I let him use a free charged smash.

Obviously there are good times to roll but doing it excessively leads to good players stomping all over you.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Hehe thats a pretty creative idea. I just watched my replays and it helped me realize how much I rolled (you usually cant tell until you see yourself play). It looks really slow and all I did to stop was think ingame. I helps with not going autopilot as well as rolling/spot dodging.

Also, Ill have me 'trying' to play defensive today or tomorrow.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching a lot of my own replays too. I'd have to say it's probably the next best thing to having other people watch your replays. Hopefully I'll be able to get some up here in the next week or so. I'm waiting on the "I record your replays" guy.

Count

Smash Champion

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I'll see if I can get someone to take a look at those because I am not qualified lol. Don't think I forgot about you.

Count

Smash Champion
How are you not qualified? If you're insinuating you're not good enough then that's definitely not true, I sometimes am able to give players like ADHD and gness somewhat useful advice.

If it is because you can't really critique doubles then np understandable.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Don't pluck two bananas in double, especially when it's semicrowded around you. You got punished or could have gotten punished various times. You can't just mindless throw bananas because now there are 3 other people that can get the banana and that means you have a lot less options. In addition to less options you also try to pluck for more bananas getting you punished even more. I saw you do that in the FD match vs the lucario and metaknight. You wanted to get bananas but none came out and you got punished for it.

Tell YBM to save his smashes cause the only time i usually get Ko's in matches is in 2v1 situations, gimps, or when they are at 150 +. My partner usually gets like 4-5 KOs every game.

When it is 2v1, try to get your opponent in between you and your partner and let your partner fight. And then punish your opponent's laggy moves with bananas.

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDaPVZdRg88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd_NjO2SKGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hMsi8e9Ygw

Finally I got some replays up. These are a few friendlies against a buddy of mine. Don't hold back everyone, I want you all to pick my game apart.
Should pummel more, but before that you should grab more. Its better to use your grabs for damage then use your smashes, keep them fresh for the kills. And grabs also do more damage then dash attacks and lower chances of you being grabbed afterwards.

Second match 2:40, should have just edge hogged him since you can see how far away he was recovering. But at least you edgehogged him that last stock.

Last match marth's last stock around 3:00, you started spamming out fsmashes everywhere, because i guess you just wanted to end it. Should just take a banana out and just glide toss > smash him, like how you did finish the game. He should he should have punished you all those times you missed..

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I thought I already posted something for you AlAxe. Oh well it was at like 1:00 this morning so I might have been too tired and left the page without actually posting.

You need to take more risks, meaning that you should grab more and edge-guard harder. I think that you are a great Diddy and what you are doing isn't wrong, it's just that you missed a lot of good oppurtunities for some %. Diddy is better off with two bananas most of the time and I think you are good enough to handle both of them without getting out of control. That brings me too another point; when you did pull the second banana out, it was just lying around somewhere when it could have been used to get massive damage out on your opponent. While it IS okay to have only 1 banana out in certain matchups (Falco :mad:) it is typically better to have two in more offensive matches (like the Marth :)), this way, you can pressure the offensive character and turn the match around. One banana is simply not enough.

If you still have trouble implementing the second banana, then all I can say is practice. Make sure to use it so you actually get used to it.

DMG

I think that the only video I can really give helpful advise from is the first one. The second one was played really well with a few mistakes in banana control. Watch it over yourself and I think you will find a lot of your mistakes.

The first one was WAY to defensive. On FD you should give it your all, when you have the chance. Bait and Punish is a great way to psych out your opponent but it gets predictable which will result in a lot of unexpected damage too you. Watch that.

Oh my friend left that comment on the video. I already deleted it and rated 5 stars.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Last match marth's last stock around 3:00, you started spamming out fsmashes everywhere, because i guess you just wanted to end it. Should just take a banana out and just glide toss > smash him, like how you did finish the game. He should he should have punished you all those times you missed..
lols. I didn't even realize this until you posted it. I couldn't even believe that I was doing that when I went back and watched the replay. I have a bad habit of sometimes going on autopilot at the end of matches like that. I'll work on it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DMG

I think that the only video I can really give helpful advise from is the first one. The second one was played really well with a few mistakes in banana control. Watch it over yourself and I think you will find a lot of your mistakes.

The first one was WAY to defensive. On FD you should give it your all, when you have the chance. Bait and Punish is a great way to psych out your opponent but it gets predictable which will result in a lot of unexpected damage too you. Watch that.

Oh my friend left that comment on the video. I already deleted it and rated 5 stars.
Naw man my banana control is BEAST :0. I think my biggest problem with Bananas was where I would toss it down on accident instead of forward either during a glide toss or in the air (I rarely dribble or toss the banana down for any reason, especially vs MK). That and some of the rolling isn't intentional, probably half or less is me glide tossing too fast or trying to jump in that direction and buffer an airdodge which turns into a roll.

Defensive honestly is just my style. I've found vs MK that I have a lot more success being defensive rather than offensive. Part of it is just the pure surprise factor, most MK players don't understand half of what I am doing/why I am being so defensive before it's too late. Part of it is just my personal style of campiness lol, where I try to react to what my opponent does and then punish them instead of putting pressure on them and also trying to punish them while not getting hit. MK has so many interrupting moves that I'd rather hit him fairly strong once and get a better position while he is knocked away than hit him once, run up or try to follow up on that. If you remember on the first match, I did a dash attack towards the MK near the edge and he just Upb's me. I've had too many things similar to that happen when I try to go aggressive, where he will either Upb to relieve the pressure, grab me, or even tilt/Dsmash me. The closer to MK I get, the more of an advantage I am giving to him, since MK is easily better at close range than Diddy. So I'd rather force him to play a longer range game or when I DO have to fight up close, I'd rather be shielding/being defensive and try to punish him for a wrong guess than try to approach him first.

Basically, it's easier for me as Diddy to punish a MK player for making a mistake in his approach than it is for me to approach him first where he plays the opposite role.

Count

Smash Champion
I play defensively as diddy for the most part also.

The beauty of diddy kong is that he can be played both offensively and defensively, and both methods are extremely effective. Not every character can say that.

ADHD plays campy also for what it is worth.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It's perfectly alright to play Defensive, Offensive, or even campy but you have to make sure that you change it up every once and a while. Otherwise it becomes very easy to punish. For example, any Mk would have punished your attempts at approaching with a shuttle loop or a tornado. If done correctly it is impossible to punish unless you are creative and mix up your playstyle. ADHD has no issues because he CAN mix up his game.

We want you to show videos where you lose or barely win. Otherwise you might as well just put them in the video thread. There is nothing to say to you that will help your game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I understand that it's important to mix it up, but against a character like MK it's so hard to approach safely that I'd rather make him try to approach me. Like, I'd rather pit my defensive options combined with some good prediction and enough in game space to react reasonably rather than me go approach him and try to get past his defense. I honestly don't think Diddy has enough options offensively to go toe to toe with MK. It's his defensive options that makes it close to hell for MK to approach him safely and what makes the matchup closer to even. If Diddy couldn't camp fairly well, he would simply be screwed vs MK. That's how I see it at least.

I can understand where you are going with this, but I just probably disagree with how effective I find his offensive game. I find Diddy and Falco very similar; once you hit your opponent away from you, usually it seems like the best option is to gain a better position and force them to keep coming to you instead of going for followups. Obviously you should mix up some more aggressive moves, like after hitting with a side B maybe going for the Bair or bait the airdodge and Dair, but for the most part it would be smarter to gain some distance, and start shooting lasers/start camping again.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Ah, then that's where we disagree. IMO you need to go for a passive-aggressive playstyle to beat MK. He can and will overwhelm you if you play too defensively which is why you need to take the offensive opportunities when you can. There isn't much he can do with a banana besides playing keep away so that shouldn't be a problem. If he does play keep away, it is important to remember that you still have the advantage because he is never going to be able to control when and where they spawn.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think our individual perceptions of how I am playing is getting mixed up/we view it differently.

I see my style as Fairly Defensive until he makes the mistake, then a Safe Offense to punish him for that mistake (Shield his approach, Glide toss to punish, Grab and throw to Punish, reset spacing or something similar to that).

Maybe you see my style as Too Defensive, or not punishing hard enough or something along those lines. Which is fine :)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I think our individual perceptions of how I am playing is getting mixed up/we view it differently.

I see my style as Fairly Defensive until he makes the mistake, then a Safe Offense to punish him for that mistake (Shield his approach, Glide toss to punish, Grab and throw to Punish, reset spacing or something similar to that).

Maybe you see my style as Too Defensive, or not punishing hard enough or something along those lines. Which is fine :)
That seems about right. Like I said before ( i think) it is very bait and punish. Not an issue but it becomes predictable.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I wasn't being "negative," I was pointing out the fact that the user-created threads were and still are doing better than this one.

Anyway... Went to my first tournament in months, didn't make it out of pools :( Critique plz:

Ingulit (Diddy) vs nice1 (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-3DJo1b40

Ingulit (Diddy) vs Rayku (Lucario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK_Ezttu4lE

The match vs nice1 was pretty close, but the one vs Rayku wasn't. I'm not sure if it was skill gap or not or just frequent mistakes, because I managed to get a few combos in on him. I'd never really played a good Lucario before, so there was that factor there.

I had a really even match vs a Meta Knight I wanted to post here, but Youtube isn't letting me upload it :\ I'll post it later.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
"Ingulit (Diddy) vs nice1 (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-3DJo1b40"

Reguarding this match, I noticed that you tend to fullhop z catch a lot of bananas when they are on platforms. Just short hop it because it is much quicker. Also, you tend to roll a lot when you are being pressured/have no bananas out. Try to find efficient ways to pull out bananas so you won't get punished. Don't keep approaching with dash attack, they'll just shield grab it. Diddy has an amazing grab game, so I suggest you try to put your opponents in situations that will make them roll, and follow their movements so you can get them.

"Ingulit (Diddy) vs Rayku (Lucario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK_Ezttu4lE"

First stock was a DI mistake. You should've DI'd better when he was pummeling you. Diddy gets gimped easily if you're predictable, so vary your recovery according to the character you play against.
You didn't use a single banana your second stock. I think you must've been upset by the first, so you went into aggressive mode while not considering that diddy is pretty bad without bananas.
Nice read on his up b at 2:00. Overall, I think you should just play a bit more defensive. Work on instant airdodge to glidetosses as well. Most of your problems are with over aggression.
You have a nice diddy though, but there are just a few things you need to work on.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
We ACTUALLY need a legit stage thread. People don't know what to do on certain stages, and it makes them crack because they "believe" that they can't win because of dumb cp's.

I personally love playing on Jungle Japes. It's one of my favorite stages. You can peanut camp well because of their odd trajectories, and you can up b to hit them under the stage for a free 18% with crazy knockback while you only take 5%. Diddy also has virtually no vertical kill moves besides up tilt (lol), so this stage isn't that bad. Just maintain control of the center of the stage and the right platform. Try not to get close to the left side because it's dangerous.

"Ingulit (Diddy) vs V3GA (Meta Knight)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VbFiU8soA"

The mk didn't really know what to do at first, but then he became SUPER predictable. He just spammed dash attack to pick up the bananas, where you could have grabbed/shieldgrabbed him a ton. He obviously doesn't know the matchup well, and take advantage of that. Also, when you are being attacked instantly from behind with your shield up, either instant throw a banana OOS, or do a SH back air. Those are his two best options for punishing attacks in that place. Just learn to predict what people will do mid match, and look for their solutions to dealing with bananas.

Player-3

Smash Hero
next time i play with p1 ill have to record some matches since he mostly just tells me i suck instead of helping me

;D

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Ing, it seemed you like you had an issue with Marth's ability to pressure. What you need to know is that it's all one big trap. Marth is going to make you feel cornered and that you can't do anything, so you try to hard to escape and end up messing it up. This isn't just you in general, it's what Marth is built for. There arn't very many options to attack up close so your best bet is too camp a bit until you see the proper opening to get your bananas in the way you want them too.

Throughout the match, you were where the Marth wanted you to be. Diddy is supposed to be versatile but in cases like those, it's like he has no options. My best tip for you would be to run until you get your bananas out and then make the best of them. Don't let the Marth pressure you into throwing them when you arn't comfortable throwing them.

I have to go so I'll post the rest when i get back...

Ok that Lucario match was really quick so i'll just do it now.

It could have very well been a skill gap. That guy read you like a Kindergarten book and it seemed like he knew the matchup pretty **** well. I think a big problem with your videos is that you just need to get your priorities in order. Sometimes you would rush when you should have ran (to pull banana) and that can really get predictable. If you played a safer game, I think you would have a much better chance to win.

EDIT: You did well the first part of the match but it seemed like you got annoyed and took a different approach to the matchup. Don't let things like that get to you.

You got predictable in the MK match and the MK picked up on this by countering your banana game. Watch the video again and look at all the times where you missed opportunities to shield grab or punish with a naner toss. You should have won that.

P3: what's the connection with you and P1? Brothers?

TreK

Is "that guy"

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Posted some annotes. I'll be more specific in the morning i'm pretty tired and i'm sorry i didn't catch your post earlier.

As for your BF match, you let him control both the platforms and the base. the problem isn't that Diddy can't do anything about it, it's that you didn't. Be careful about things like that and think through your game more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom