• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
finally have some vids up (got myself a dazzle the other day)
these are the only recent plays of myself
pls critique.

dfear vs luis(snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1LVvA0sG0A
dfear vs luis(snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtj9IaVCRs
dfear vs snipa (IC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjBmjz3SbY8

:3
The only one worth critiquing is the IC video. The Snake was too easy for you and all I can't give advise for matches that you won so easily. It's like if you played your 5 year old sister, she would just be a sandbag for you, there is nothing I could say about that. That IC match was very close and against a better IC, you would have lost a stock for every grab they get on you. It seems like they had the basic idea of how to take on a Diddy and even that is impressive. Ice Climbers should be treated like any other matchup exept you have to watch for the grabs like hell. To make sure I don't get caught in infinites, I usually throw a banana up so that if I get caught they might trip and I can escape. It has saved me quite a few times so it is worth trying every once in a while. Nana can be really annoying because she may trip on a banana giving Popo ample time to react. Watch out for this because they will get your nanner and use it against you or play keep away with it, making you grab bait for those little *******s.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea i want to see whether or not the risk is worth the reward ya know. but thanks i took ur suggestions into my gameplay ill be playin him tomoz :3 and yea now he doesnt mess up grabs so im forced to camp like crazeh >_< and pressure a **** ton

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
These are the ones I need critiqued the most.
Le bump, sorta

I was hoping to get critique from other people... Thank you a bunch, Goose, but the more the more helpful :S

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Inguilt: Every time you use a smash other than when he's tripped, I would Dtilt. My philosophy is that any move that makes you immobile or are easily punished are purely situational…For this reason, I limit the use of the Side B Kick, AAA, and Usmash, and when not preceded by a banana, Fsmash and Dsmash. In general, you should have two bananas out at all times…When you pull a banana, you might want to run to the edge to increase the space in between you and him or at the very least short hop. I don't use the Side B kick that much, its pretty easy to punish. Just watch out for Snakes tilts in general. When on the ledge you may want to drop down and Up B/Jump and Air Dodge back onto the ledge to feign getting back on stage to see his reaction. After two Utilts, follow up with a Fair. For Fox, don't let him get above you, Dair=Death

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
You shouldn't limit a move because it has lag. If it were something like DeDeDe's f-smash, then I would understand but if you are good enough to work around the lag then you should use it. If you take a little damage in the process then whatever, you learn and use it better next time. With Diddy, smashes should typically be following glide-tossed bananas but I throw in F-smashed and D-smashes without them. I just make sure they won't be punished.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Inguilt, for one, focus less on nanerz. You got punished a lot, leaving yourself open isn't the best idea when someone can run up to you and Usmash for a KO. Don't decay your smashes, MK shouldn't live higher than 150%. Use more peanuts. Having both nanerz out isn't always necessary, sometimes having only 1 out is better. AAA isn't very good, don't use it too often, especially against opponents like Snake. Use tilts more. Monkey humps wreck on people that abuse the shield, and the flip kick is for a little surprise attack, better used for openings. Grab use is good, learn what throws are best at different places and percentages. Don't decay your Fair and Uair, use moves like Dtilt and dash attack to refresh them.

Yesh.

The Sìrén

Smash Cadet
Well, I'll post here in hopes of getting a response, I suppose...
For if I didn't post here, and instead decided to make my own thread, P-1 would tear me up. lol. :D
Anyway, this the only set recorded of me at my first actual tourney (Wings and Brew IV in Columbus). Please give me advise, I really want to improve and learn from my mistakes:

Sìrén (Diddy) Vs Keitaro (Pokemon Trainer/Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21xCkju46M&feature=channel_page

only watch the first two matches of the video, the third is my Tink getting 3-stocked. :)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
You tried too hard buddy. You had great DI and you obviously have talent but it seemed like a lot of things you did were too flashy. Calm down and think more. You need to watch where you send out the bananas, you got punished a lot for sending them out when the opponent was right next to you. You need ample room to throw them out or else it is easy to take advantage of the fact that you left yourself open. Try pulling one out and use it for a bit BEFORE taking out the second one. You will see that when you slow down, you can play a better defensive game and you won't be punished so much, as you were facing Squirtle. Great gimp BTW :). The Squirtle really knew how to take away your bananas and abuse the fact that Diddy is completely useless without them. That PT played very defensively and therefore took more of his actions into consideration, if he knew the matchup just a little better he would have won that match too. Also, a defensive Diddy doesn't get chain grabbed so there goes the Falco matchup.;)

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Well, it has been a month since I last posted some videos, and I feel like I'm doing pretty good. I have my first ever tournament that I will hopefully be able to attend on Saturday, so I was hoping I could get some advice. These videos are against my brother, who wanted to start playing Metaknight today and has never played him before so he got some videos so I decided to post them aswell. I would reaally appreiciate if you guys could tell me what I'm doing right/wrong, how I could improve, and how badly you expect me to get destroyed at my first tournament on Saturday :D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpRQRfMbnKg&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxwqNCzMyc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvHaUqA1qQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8byX2TvvskM&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvHaUqA1qQ&feature=channel

Thanks guys, -JJ

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Great vids. What kind of tournament is it, is it a small local tourney or a big one? I don't think you have to worry if it is small because the people who go to big tourneys usually know matchups better. You know your stuff but I think you have to improve on your banana control. One thing I noticed is that you take out both nanners but only use one. Not only is it a waste of time to pull the second one out (that time could be spent actually using the first one) but it also gives your opponent a chance to react and take the second one. Unless you can use them both, pull one out and abuse it. It seemed like you didn't know what to do when they were thrown back at you, which is a big problem for a lot of Diddy's. I like that you play kind of defensively but you do know how to change things up when you need too. Lastly, I noticed that you roll back a lot, this is also a big problem among our board and all novice Diddys. If you have a banana then subsitute that roll for a glide toss back and if you get the slip run in and followup with a DA. Even without a banana, it is smarter to just run or jump most of the time. Rolling just leaves you so open, especially with a character like MK.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Thanks, I will work on all of that tomorrow!

The tournament is actually pretty big lol. It's Clash of Brokenness VI, Ally, Lain, Anther and alot of other good people are going to be there, so I'm hoping to learn alot of stuff.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Ingulit

you need to recover smarter. Recover to the ledge not to your opponent. I saw some times where you would try to flip kick fox or attempt to hit him, only to get fsmashed or grabbed. And don't throw your bananas wildly hoping they will hit. That's what peanuts are for.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
NEVER try to go up against someone without a banana again. Especially against a character like Marth who has godly spacing skills. It might just be because of WiFi but I hope that I never have to see that again out of you. If you have trouble getting to your nanner, then WAIT. You should never attempt to compete with other characters without at least one banana. A few times in that match I saw a banana sitting right next to you and you still went for him. Your opponent outsmarted you in that match and that is Diddy's job.

What? No.

Saying, "Never approach without a banana against anyone," is going to get him in a bad habit of relying way too much on bananas and going into auto-pilot. Diddy is still a good character without bananas. He has other attacks that don't require the opponent to be tripped.

Granted, against some character, you do generally want to have bananas out (MK, D3), but many matchups don't require many bananas. Some characters like Jigglypuff and Wario can severely limit standard banana usage, and some characters like Falco make it much more difficult to control two bananas, and can punish you for it.

Marth isn't a character you want to straight-on approach anyway, due to his range. Running in range without a banana is bad. Running in range with a banana isn't really much better. You want to play a bit campier against Marth, as his fair, dancing blade, OoS upB, and other things all punish straight on aggression.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Truthfully, I don't know why I wrote a lot of the things I wrote and I apologize for that, I was in a bad mood. Still , if you have the option to use a nanner, then do it. Wario will limit your usage but at least one should still be out in case you can use it. Marth is all about spacing and his range and speed will overall make it harder to play a close-quarters game. This is where nanners come in. I don't know what kind of style you use as Diddy but I prefer somewhere in the middle of offensive and defensive. Marth isn't that hard of a matchup when you play a defensive game because you won't be affected by his ability to out space you. This isn't just for the Marth matchup, it is also true with the MK, DeDeDe, DK(?), ect.

Once again, I am sorry sounding like a ****.

Count

Smash Champion

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You dash attack and glidetossed into lucario's shield a lot of times. instead of dash attack just go for a grab and pummel as well. and glidetoss backwards as well, if only for scouting what they will do.

And don't always approach. I mostly watched the first game of you vs lucario and you approached nearly every single time. Let the lucario approach and punish his mistakes. Glidetoss your bananas up to mess up his aerial approach and fair if you have the chance. If you have the lead, approach less.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I agree with yoshididdy, you should mix ur game up more. I guess I could say that about any Diddy but it's all I got.

Count

Smash Champion
Thanks. Everybody I showed basically said don't DA the shield as much. My recovery is a constant problem, it is one thing really hindering my game.

As far as the always approaching, I'm actually usually a more conservative diddy kong but it was clear to me that the lucario didn't know how to handle pressure. Hopefully I'll have more vids up in the future because I really appreciae the critique.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Truthfully, I don't know why I wrote a lot of the things I wrote and I apologize for that, I was in a bad mood. Still , if you have the option to use a nanner, then do it. Wario will limit your usage but at least one should still be out in case you can use it. Marth is all about spacing and his range and speed will overall make it harder to play a close-quarters game. This is where nanners come in. I don't know what kind of style you use as Diddy but I prefer somewhere in the middle of offensive and defensive. Marth isn't that hard of a matchup when you play a defensive game because you won't be affected by his ability to out space you. This isn't just for the Marth matchup, it is also true with the MK, DeDeDe, DK(?), ect.

Once again, I am sorry sounding like a ****.
Well I'm supposedly the defensive type diddy, but lag plus the guy I was facing being better than me, I played like a 8 years old here going for flashy combos that didn't work instead of playing smart lmao
I so agree with you flaming me about not using nanas enough. I flame myself for it sometimes work on that but... Just not in this match =/

Count

Smash Champion

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Teneban:

Those matches were online wern't they? I can just kinda tell from delayed reactions.

You just need a lot of work on your nanner setups. Grabs are great followups but there is a lot that you can do. Use the second banana for better setups and a free F-smash. You can kill a lot quicker this way. I also think you need to take more risks off stage. Diddy can set up some great gimps if you try hard enough and get used to it.

Dair should be used sparingly on-stage and works specifically for spikes rather than a regular attack. Fair and Bair work a lot better than dair and can be set up with a banana or used to punish an air dodge/spot dodge.

ZSS can be tricky but over-all, naners should stop most approaches. Her long range isn't that difficult to get around and her ground attacks can be easily punished. Keep distance with a backwards glide toss and avoid blindly rushing her. Her naner game is better than most characters but Diddy should always take priority on the ground.

That hacked FD was amazing too. I really need to homebrew my Wii soon.:(

Count:

I don't really play doubles much so don't take what I say very seriously, I may be just talking out of my *** but I will try.

I realize how difficult it becomes to try to use Diddy well in Doubles and he really isn't a very good character for it. Banana play becomes severely limited most of the time so you really have to focus on his nonana traits. Some of his best assets are his fair and his cartwheel. Fair is a killer move no matter what you are playing so I don't see how it is limited in doubles. Cartwheel for damage, creating space, and versatility.

Don't know what else to say sorryz.

Check out some of ADHD's doubles videos. He has new ones of him and sk92.

Dekar173

Justice Man

TreK

Is "that guy"
Teneban:

Those matches were online wern't they? I can just kinda tell from delayed reactions.
Yup, but there wasn't that much lag. I don't upload matches that were laggy "^^
Will go to a smashfest on sunday, I'll try to bring back some replays =O

You just need a lot of work on your nanner setups. Grabs are great followups but there is a lot that you can do. Use the second banana for better setups and a free F-smash. You can kill a lot quicker this way. I also think you need to take more risks off stage. Diddy can set up some great gimps if you try hard enough and get used to it.
Yeah, playing wifi made me fear mistakes and play really safe, I almost never approach and don't go offstage that much if I'm not 100% confident. Will fix that on sunday D=

Dair should be used sparingly on-stage and works specifically for spikes rather than a regular attack. Fair and Bair work a lot better than dair and can be set up with a banana or used to punish an air dodge/spot dodge.
Yeah, I only use the dair onstage when I'm sure it'll hit/I'm sure if it misses I won't get punished, because even if it sux compared to what diddy has otherwise, it sets up people better =D

ZSS can be tricky but over-all, naners should stop most approaches. Her long range isn't that difficult to get around and her ground attacks can be easily punished. Keep distance with a backwards glide toss and avoid blindly rushing her. Her naner game is better than most characters but Diddy should always take priority on the ground.
*takes notes*
That hacked FD was amazing too. I really need to homebrew my Wii soon.:(
Ye, you do =O

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Dekar, you should put those vids in the video thread not here. This thread is to help people who LOSE!!!! You are too amazing and cool to be critiqued. We all know how much you like to show off. :)

Teneban, GET OFFLINE MATCHES UP!!!!

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
It's been a little bit since I posted here, so I'm going to put up another video. Actually 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr8XGbdAb0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgnvX1lc60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajWDS7v2rJg I cry when I watch the end of this game. T_T

Well, give me any and all advice you have thanks.

I love how I started trying to play competitively in mid April and I always thought I wasn't getting much better, but now I watch my old stuff and it's amazing how far I've come in 2.5-3 months.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I like your campy playstyle, it takes a lot of patience to play like that. There was a lot of bait-and-punish and it worked a lot of the time, but overall, it left you too open. If you want to keep playing defensively then do it, it works great and you definately have the patience but you still need to use a broader, more offensive, moveset.

You are not using bananas to thier fullest advantage. You can abuse them while still keeping your defensive and safe playstyle. You could kill faster with a GT into a f-smash or a d-smash meaning that you won't take so much damage and will get better results.

You used your shield way to much. Instead of punishing when you could have really made a difference in the match, you baited the Snake into some linear banana combo. You could easily fair or smash OoS and follow up with more banana tricks. This goes back to the "to much camping" thing I talked about earlier. Honestly, it should be obvious that you are doing something wrong when you outcamp a Snake of all characters.

Diddy's best offensive moves are:

1. Bananas

2. Cartwheel

3. Fair

4. Offstage dair (take chances)

5. F/D-Smash (depends on situation.)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It's hard to see in those matches. One thing I know for sure is that you need to pace yourself better. It seemed like Marth's spacing really got to you. If you are feeling pressured, feel free to play a more defensive and laid back game. Get out ur nanners and camp a bit until you can get your flow back. Going all offensive against a character like Marth won't get you anywhere. Even fair becomes less beastly in this matchup. I hope someone else can help you out more but thats all I got.

Count

Smash Champion
Bellios, I think the critique I gave you in your thread is pretty much what most other diddy's would say about it, or at least some stuff to work on for now.

For certain you're playing the marth matchup all wrong in those videos I watched, play defensively, more peanuts, uthrow, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom