• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
nice aggressiveness the first 2 stocks

i noticed you could be dribbling more to space yourself away from the pika dsmash and to punish afterwards
you should be di'ing with bair, not uair and dair or airdodge

also, when you edgegurard, you dont always have to try to spike them, you could kill them off the side with a fair at like 100 if its fresh which yours would be

as always, work on getting that rolling down
improving diddy though
keep practicing (i myself have to work on rolling too)

TreK

Is "that guy"
I prefered the match you up'd 2 days ago :/
needs more peanuts and less randomly thrown bananas.
Also, don't roll backward when you can punish with a standing banana throw
+what kaptain said

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
nice aggressiveness the first 2 stocks

i noticed you could be dribbling more to space yourself away from the pika dsmash and to punish afterwards
you should be di'ing with bair, not uair and dair or airdodge

also, when you edgegurard, you dont always have to try to spike them, you could kill them off the side with a fair at like 100 if its fresh which yours would be

as always, work on getting that rolling down
improving diddy though
keep practicing (i myself have to work on rolling too)
I prefered the match you up'd 2 days ago :/
needs more peanuts and less randomly thrown bananas.
Also, don't roll backward when you can punish with a standing banana throw
+what kaptain said
Thank you, both of you, for the advice. I'm used to doing D-air and U-air with Luigi when Di'ing. It'll take some time to adjust so I use B-air with only Diddy. (I managed to get down always doing N-air with G&W, so it shouldn't be that hard, right?)

On edgeguarding, it'll take some time getting used to fighting the urge to do it, because Diddy has one of the better ones in the game. Again, just a bit of time is needed.

I'll keep in mind the standing throw and the peanuts. :)

One question, though. I'm sure I passed over it when I looked at the stickies, but... What exactly is Dribbling? I'm assuming it is throwing the Banana Down, but I'm not sure.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
I know that this is more of a general tip, but you can DI out of Pika's Dsmash by slamming both the control stick and the c-stick up you take a ton less dmg.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Hehe. 2 days later and I made another video that I would like examined. :p

This time in MUCH better quality. You can see the bananas rather well now. :psycho:

After this one I will use the video thread.
Like the others have said, watch your rolling. It leaves you WIDE open. Never feel tempted to throw a banana unless you know you will be rewarded. There is nothing wrong with playing it safe with a banana in hand or right next to you. In other words you need to bait your opponents movements more before you throw the next nanner. Some players like to shoot random peanuts and that's ok, it can't hurt you. If you must do it, make sure to learn the angles on your friend or a comp. I used a low level computer because it seems that all comps, low level or high, have the same recovery abilities. It shouldn't be hard at all to knock them off so that's why I found it so useful.

A good follow-up for the cartwheel is one or two ^tilts. I don't know the exact percents where you get sent too far to do it but it gives you a little extra %. You can use nanners to screw with some peoples recoveries (space animals, i'm looking at you) just throw the banana down at them and edge hog. It is really unexpected sometimes and can really mess with your opponents ledge game.

Eventually, you get a better feel for Diddy and understand what he is all about. This stuff just comes in time.

TreK

Is "that guy"

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Yo.
Jox is my crewleader, but since you all have been playing the game twice as long as us, any advice will be welcome lol
Jox vs Yass (Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGIgGI8D6Bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzMTOVCJ-ME
Comment his diddy, i'll translate him so he can answer =]

I personally won't upload any brawl video 'till i get a way to record in HD so you'll have to wait to flame my sucky diddy lolol

Very nice Diddy, very few problems I could name. One thing was his apparent instinct to cartwheel to pick up bananas. I just dash/run towards my banana and let go of the control stick just before I reach the nanner, then I just press A. This is much faster and can pick up bananas without leaving yourself open. Also, you can do another dash right after which can be good. Make sure you watch characters with a really long glide toss (ZSS,MK,DK,Pit,ect.).These guys can really screw you over with their own nanner combos and can leave a lot of space between you guys. The Pit implemented this pretty well which let him stay back and spam. Very good matches though, just watch where you are putting nanners next time, you can't let your opponent get ahold of them.

Barrel-Canceling can be a good tactic but most of the time it ends up in failure. I try it every once in a while when my opponent (mostly DDD) does a strong laggy attack on me. This way, I can time it perfectly and I can't be punished for it.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Never try to go nonana. Trust me, I know what you feel in matchups like these. You think that just because the other character can reflect those nanners, you shouldn't use them. I was this way against my friends Falco and I recently learned to deal with it. Just because you have a nanner doesn't mean you have to throw it. Keep it in hand or by your side and wait for your opportunity to throw it. A good time is when your opponent does a laggy smash or tilt.

Another thing that i noticed with you is your habit of using dair. It isn't a good aerial outside of spiking, you should always replace it with fair in almost every situation. Diddy's fair is godly and should be abused. His other notable aerial is his bair which comes out very fast and has almost no ending lag.

Abuse cartwheel more. The cartwheel is the most versatile dash attack in the game and it can be followed by TONS of attacks. It can be followed up with an aerial but it would be smarter to follow up with an utilt at earlier percents.

boomshakalaka

Smash Cadet
o alrite, but i think i did a good job using my aierals, i dont over use d-air, only if its off a cartweel, cuz it leads to d or f smash
and ye, i shuld of not jus throwin dem at mario, but up or on top of him
thnks though
ive ben on mad ladders b4, gotten top 100 on gb before , but skol got in way

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
You did a good job with the aerials for the most part. It just seemed like you got them mixed up, for example, you used nair when you had the perfect oppertunity for a fair. both nair and dair are useless compared to fair (spiking aside). And it won't lead to any smash against someone who knows how to properly tech roll. GameBattles is kinda a joke for Brawl anyways. Do you go to any local tournaments in your area. That's how you really get better. Get some numbers of people who you can play regularly.

Monkey Business

Smash Cadet
your aerial game was good, just abuse the fair more and lay off the nair for those situations, if i remember you did do glide tosses so thats all good :]
just remember, crazy monkey! then youll be unstoppable.

boomshakalaka

Smash Cadet
ooh ok, i c wut ur sayin
yea, i get my license in a couple of months so hopefully i can start going to more tournaments, i wanna get my diddy sum $$

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
So I hosted a tournament with 11 other people from my school for fun this weekend. More than half of them don't even have the game and are very terrible to be quite honest but we had fun and thats all that mattered. There was only four "good" players there, me, my brother and two other friends. Anyways, I know some of the ATs and such, and I am looking to play in real tournaments soon, not just school tournaments lol. So this is my against my friend in the loser's finals and me against my brother in grand finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMLpYeDHcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBr_S9sfS0Q

Yes, I realize it is only 2/3 not 3/5 but we didn't have much time left over. Please just ignore the commentary, nearly all of it is just inside jokes XD. And also, these videos aren't even edited at all and were just filmed live, but the quality was actually pretty good.

Please be as harsh on me as you need to be, I actually want to try to improve to become a tournament level player. Thanks in advance. - JJ

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Don't worry about AT's just yet. You know the basics and thats enough right now.

Rolling never subsitutes for actual running. You used it to move around which is not only slower, but also leaves you wide open. Also it seems like you don't think about where your bananas are going to go next. You simply throw them hoping to get good results. 99% of the time it won't work. Unlike other players, Diddy's game is all strategy. Mindgames make him great and you won't get passed the level you are at until you learn how to mix up your game. I'll say more later but I have homework to do.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Ok thanks, I think I get what your saying. I did notice that I was randomly throwing the bananas alot there without really thinking. And I've been rolling too much forever and I'm really trying to break that habit but that's what I do by instinct XD. I think I am going to watch some other Diddy videos to see how they move around and throw the bananas. Thanks for the critique! - JJ

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I finally have some decent videos for critique online; I just got through having my *** handed to me by one of the best players in our state, and he let me record almost all the matches (all friendlies). The only one I win is the fifth one vs Fox >< He told me I spot dodged too much, but I know I was doing other things wrong. This was also my first experience playing a good snake, and ****, I'd take my friend's Marth (darn good) over his Snake any day :x
The ones I'm most concerned about are the vs Snake video, the 1st vs Fox video, and the 3rd vs Fox video (although I'd appreciate critique on any of them). Man, these were fun matches x)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Ingulit, I can feel your pain with the Snake matchup but I think I can help. You have to play more defensively. Approaching him by typical means is nearly impossible. A defensive game is much safer than a nanner assault because Snake has broken tilts. Basically, you have to stay back and punish attacks with nanners instead of rushing into certain doom. Some things that help me are:

1. Punishing uncooked nades with a glide toss.

2. Punishing tilts with nanners when you MINDGAME your way out of distance. *cough*dribbling*cough*

3. Punish mortar-slides via rolling or dribble. If it reaches the end just roll behind it.

4. Annoy the **** out of your oppponent.

5. And finally, using BOTH of your nanners effectively. Most of the time, you had one out and one in your hand but you only made practical use of one.

I don't know much about fox so someone else is going to help better. Keep asking about Snake though.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
So I hosted a tournament with 11 other people from my school for fun this weekend. More than half of them don't even have the game and are very terrible to be quite honest but we had fun and thats all that mattered. There was only four "good" players there, me, my brother and two other friends. Anyways, I know some of the ATs and such, and I am looking to play in real tournaments soon, not just school tournaments lol. So this is my against my friend in the loser's finals and me against my brother in grand finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMLpYeDHcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBr_S9sfS0Q

Yes, I realize it is only 2/3 not 3/5 but we didn't have much time left over. Please just ignore the commentary, nearly all of it is just inside jokes XD. And also, these videos aren't even edited at all and were just filmed live, but the quality was actually pretty good.

Please be as harsh on me as you need to be, I actually want to try to improve to become a tournament level player. Thanks in advance. - JJ
Those are D*** good quality videos, holy crap.

You do a lot of the things I used to do (or, at least, I notice myself doing now):

• It's already been said, but you roll a lot. Rolling towards the opponent is generally a bad idea, and it's punishable overall. That's not to say it doesn't have its merits, of course.
  • You Side-B far too much. It is a BAD approach, especially if you've been using it a lot. It can be perfect shielded easily and gives you a fair amount of lag. Use it if your opponent is spamming you with moves that the kick will clank/cancel with or if you're trying to follow up a combo that sent your opponent far away. Of course, it's good for recovery and getting back down to the stage as well. But don't use it too much! Dash attack is sooo much better usually.
  • You don't follow up banana trips well. Usually you grab; you can also dash attack, jab, use tilts, smashes, anything really. If you're too far away, the grab won't connect in time.
  • Air dodge QUICKLY out of a Diddy Hump smack to re-gain control faster. Note you cannot use any B moves after a smack (you can after a jump), but if you air dodge you can fast-fall to negate some of the lag.
  • Do NOT air dodge immediately after being hit! That is a VERY bad habit at high percents brought on by playing computers (or just not knowing to do otherwise). Use your B-Air instead to regain control faster, and if you've been blown really far away, fast fall and jump to aid DI.
  • I only watched the Olimar match, and I have to say, that Olimar is pretty bad. You should have been getting punished like CRAZY (Olimar punishes Diddy very, very well). If you ever play an Olimar in a tournament, do NOT expect them to play like that!
That's all I can give for now. Hope that helps! :3

Ingulit, I can feel your pain with the Snake matchup but I think I can help. You have to play more defensively. Approaching him by typical means is nearly impossible. A defensive game is much safer than a nanner assault because Snake has broken tilts. Basically, you have to stay back and punish attacks with nanners instead of rushing into certain doom. Some things that help me are:

1. Punishing uncooked nades with a glide toss.

2. Punishing tilts with nanners when you MINDGAME your way out of distance. *cough*dribbling*cough*

3. Punish mortar-slides via rolling or dribble. If it reaches the end just roll behind it.

4. Annoy the **** out of your oppponent.

5. And finally, using BOTH of your nanners effectively. Most of the time, you had one out and one in your hand but you only made practical use of one.

I don't know much about fox so someone else is going to help better. Keep asking about Snake though.
Number 5: Could you give some examples of what I could do better? I tried to limit his ability to approach/attack/land/etc with a second banana on the ground, but he was flat-out too good to fall for anything I tried. What would you recommend?

Also, I think the things that I was doing wrong were just things I did wrong Diddy-wise, not matchup-wise. It's really not a very complicated matchup at all... Just watch out for shine-spikes :dizzy:

EDIT: And thank you for the defensive bit. I was definitely feeling the hurt of those tilts ><

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Well it's just that, in most matchups, two bananas get you better results. You did you them both but only after you saw an opportunity to follow up with a combo, this won't work most of the time. I think you would do much better with one nanner in hand and another one somewhere close to you on the stage at all times. This way you can do so much more with what you have. When you did use both of the bananas, it was when you throw them immediately after plucking them. This kinda adds to the defensive bit but watch the video again and you will see what I'm talking about. You will see that you are pressured to throw without planning ahead (not all of them of course, some of them were very creative) which can hurt you severely. The Snake took advantage of your nanners by playing keep-away which is torture for a Diddy.

And I agree that the Fox and somewhat Lucario matchups are quite easy for Diddy.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Those are D*** good quality videos, holy crap.

You do a lot of the things I used to do (or, at least, I notice myself doing now):

That's all I can give for now. Hope that helps! :3
Thanks, I know what you mean on everything and I will try to work on all of that. Yeah, and that Olimar really is pretty bad, but like I said, most of these people don't even have the game, nor do they even realize that there is a competitive side to smash.

And for the video quality, its my friend's like $500+ HD video camera, he's rich lol.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit

Is it really only us three who post in this thread? I'm REALLY wanting to make my own critique thread now, because top name Diddys will post in threads made by scrubs while they never look in here. As against those kinds of threads I am, I can see the logic behind them now :\

Besides, I've got a ton of videos up now anyway... Maybe it would be better, so that people can parse through them easier. I just feel like it'd be spammy :S

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If this thread were stickied it would get much more attention im sure.
That, and the fact that the few really good Diddy players who posted in this never even got so much as a thank you... I just realized that, and that couldn't make you want to post again. In retrospect, I'd like to thank you a lot AvaricePanda; I never said it, but your post helped a lot.

I'll second my second for a sticky. We need a petition or something.

Videos are uploading, posting in here soon. **** making my own thread, I want this thread to be used.

EDIT: And you too as well, Goose. Thank you :)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Sorry for double post, but I have new videos I'd like critiqued.

I really need all of them critiqued... I felt helpless in most of the matches. I just kept running into things and not knowing how to avoid them :ohwell:

EDIT: Here are some OLD videos my friend uploaded for him to get critique... I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to post them here too. I really need the above five critiqued more, though. (But I did get a double barrel spike in the Sheik match :))

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
so many videos x.x.

When like 10-15 videos are posted from one person, it's hard to actually choose ones to critique (because not many people want to watch matches for an hour straight). Just 3 videos would be an optimal number; just choose the ones that exemplify your best play.

Critiquing individual videos isn't necessary. When you have some critiqued and a month or whatever down the road, your playstyle changes, then you can put up a couple new videos that you think best shows your overall Diddy's playstyle.

Anyway, I'll critique them on Sunday; I'll hopefully learn stuff Saturday (woo first tourney) and am lazy now, lol.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
so many videos x.x.

When like 10-15 videos are posted from one person, it's hard to actually choose ones to critique (because not many people want to watch matches for an hour straight). Just 3 videos would be an optimal number; just choose the ones that exemplify your best play.

Critiquing individual videos isn't necessary. When you have some critiqued and a month or whatever down the road, your playstyle changes, then you can put up a couple new videos that you think best shows your overall Diddy's playstyle.

Anyway, I'll critique them on Sunday; I'll hopefully learn stuff Saturday (woo first tourney) and am lazy now, lol.
These are the ones I need critiqued the most.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I'm proud of you Ingulit, you made the Snake matchup your *****. I think you would have one if it weren't for that BS last stock. I'm sure you see how playing defensive helps.

I don't know much about the Pikachu matchup so I apologize in advance. All I know is that you are playing it wrong and you should be less offensive.

About Olimar, you got punished really bad. He basically bent you over his knee and belted the living **** out of you. Anyways, he punished you and you can't let that happen. It's actually a big mental game here, Olis love to **** your mind with cheap tactics and parlor tricks. The way I would prevent it is to beat them at their own game. Some things they do is spam pikmin to distract you; you focus on getting the piks off of you before attacking your opponent. If there are like one or two on you it isn't that big of a deal. This is when Oli strikes so what's worse, 15% from the pikmin or 30% from a smash from Olimar (pikmin added)? The only time that you should ever worry about piks are when you have a white on you, then you shake that little bugger off. Throwing bananas is much less effective than strategic placement. Oli can really turn those against you if you arn't carful.

As for MK, good luck.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Sorry istudying, i didn't even see your little post there. Anyway all I can really say is that you should use two bananas in this matchup and you should kill earlier with a Glide Toss forward>Smash. Give me a matchup that you have trouble with an then I will help you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom