• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official BBR Tier List v4 -> Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
G&W will probably drop even more once other characters prove that they're better. I mean, look @ his frame data! His moves have to much ending lag, and his aerials are punishable OOS.
Actually his ground normals are on average the least laggy (as in cooldown) in the game by a good margin :I. IIRC his aerials don't fair badly either (though their duration isn't great). His problems lie elsewhere... like generally having pretty slow startup.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
ZSS should be high tier prob around Pika.

Get Ike out of freaking Low tier please :mad088:

Bring back that Lizard.

Also haters on Ness anyone :laugh:

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I'm not saying my part either.

You guys already know.
I guess he could be top of F tier.

It wouldn't be an unreasonable claim.

Edit: I meant to post this earlier, but before a tier uproar arises because of Colombus results, it still has to be proven why the character is superior to various characters that are currently above him/her.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not saying my part either.

You guys already know.
Do I even need to start with my part, besides the fact I am seriously laughing at all of the idiots who say "zong, Ike is da second worse in da game, u just ps all of his non-jab moves lolololol"? They already just got backhanded by San. Him beating Tyrant Judge should be more than enough proof of otherwise to such naive claims.

Ike and Ness for top of E tier until other E tier characters can catch up.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
She's better than Game and Watch, Lucario, and Olimar. And maybe Dedede. I don't know about Pikachu.

Ike's current tier placement (and Link's too) is one of the clearest signs that most players (not the BBR, I realize it's much deeper than that) don't understand the game past the current A tier, and MLG is a sign that they are wrong about the game in general.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Do I even need to start with my part, besides the fact I am seriously laughing at all of the idiots who say "zong, Ike is da second worse in da game, u just ps all of his non-jab moves lolololol"? They already just got backhanded by San. Him beating Tyrant should be more than enough proof of otherwise to such naive claims.

Ike for top of E tier.
Tyrant loses to random characters. Ness, Fox, Pikachu, IKE, lol.

Edit: Lucario > ZSS

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Meh, I dunno, ZSS still doesn't feel like she should go up THAT high... She still has that one glaring flaw that made Nick lose 4 times straight against Ally: opponents who shield. Other characters above her have flaws that are harder to exploit, or their weaknesses aren't as bad.

I'm not saying that she's in her perfect position, so don't get me wrong here.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
She's better than Game and Watch, Lucario, and Olimar. And maybe Dedede. I don't know about Pikachu.

Ike's current tier placement (and Link's too) is one of the clearest signs that most players (not the BBR, I realize it's much deeper than that) don't understand the game past the current A tier, and MLG is a sign that they are wrong about the game in general.
Nah, I'd say D3 > ZSS. He's able to shut down more of the cast effectively.

And according to MLG tournaments: ZSS, Luigi, Ike, and Ness are all underrated. I heard there was a Link there, but I didn't hear how well he did.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
judge lost to San, Tyrant beat San for 9th place. tyrant also beat shaky for 9th. Seibrik lost to shaky.

guys I did the math, San is 16th place overall for both MLGs

Kole

Smash Lord
...When did Tyrant lose to San?

He lost to Nick Riddle in Winners and ESAM in losers.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Meh, I dunno, ZSS still doesn't feel like she should go up THAT high... She still has that one glaring flaw that made Nick lose 4 times straight against Ally: opponents who shield.
I doubt that's why he lost. Shields are a weakness of hers but it isn't insurmountable. Predict the shield and let them sit in it, or dtilt and dash the other way. It isn't like she HAS to attack a shielding opponent.

Keep in mind, third place (and 9th at MLG Orlando) means that it's time to take a second look, and maybe figure out what Nick is doing differently, not spout the same old stuff. Other characters have weaknesses too, big ones, even Snake.

And yes Ness and Ike are definitely underrated and have been for a very long time. And most people know it. Link is another story. He's underrated too, but is a very difficult character to learn and it seems pointless to put all that time in and still lose a lot. If there were ten Legans playing Link we'd see a pretty obvious jump in no time.

Kole

Smash Lord
lol

Even as a Lucas main, I say it's pretty much a joke Lucas is above Ike currently.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I doubt that's why he lost. Shields are a weakness of hers but it isn't insurmountable. Predict the shield and let them sit in it, or dtilt and dash the other way. It isn't like she HAS to attack a shielding opponent.
But not everyone HAS to sit in their shields, you know. Once they hit her mid-range they start shielding whenever ZSS seems to want to do an attack. If she's on the ground, shield anyway but keep your eyes peeled for a grab, then spotdodge/roll somewhere (since you're already in a shield you waste no time).

This really screws her up a lot. She can stay in mid-range pummeling their shields, but that's exactly what they're expecting, so you'll play right into their baits. And if you try grabbing trying to mix it in with your normal attacks, they can roll away, towards you, or spotdodge, and now you're gonna get punished.

Keep in mind, third place (and 9th at MLG Orlando) means that it's time to take a second look, and maybe figure out what Nick is doing differently, not spout the same old stuff. Other characters have weaknesses too, big ones, even Snake.
Yeah, but their weaknesses can't be exploited to the level ZSS's can. Every character can shield her stuff (except maybe Yoshi), but not every character can gimp Snake's recovery, or juggle him without blowing up his pulled grenades, or get beaten by his nair or bair. Plus, Snake's strengths are much better than ZSS's so it's only natural that even with his weaknesses, he's still that much higher.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm not saying Snake isn't better than ZSS.

Look, in super theory bros. it's really easy to say "Just shield vs ZSS when she's in mid-range and spot dodge the grab" and people have tried to do it before and failed. Her weakness to shields isn't THAT profound and she does have affacks that are safe on shield, and side-b isn't punishable on shield (except on powershield) by most characters at max range. As m2k has said before, and it's something I largely agree with, it doesn't matter what's possible in terms of frame data if on a human level it will never happen. ZSS' big exploitable weakness is very real, but it isn't something that is ever going to cause her to lose every match against a good player. She might eat a utilt or something occasionally though.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Being underrated doesn't automatically call for a shift in tiers. A tier characters are better than B tier characters, but people overrate how much better the A tier characters are, relative to B tier, for instance. If someone places well with a B tier character at a high-level tournament, it doesn't mean that the B tier character MUST go up or that the character is even A tier material. The game isn't so imbalanced that B tier and under can't place well.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Being underrated doesn't automatically call for a shift in tiers. A tier characters are better than B tier characters, but people overrate how much better the A tier characters are, relative to B tier. If someone places well with a B-tier character at a high-level tournament, it doesn't mean that the B-tier character MUST go up or that the character is even A-tier material. The game isn't so imbalanced that B-tier and under can't place well.
This is true, too, absolutely. But does ZSS really place like Toon Link or Pit? Or would you say she places about as well as Olimar, Lucario, and G&W? (I would certainly say better, but whatever.)

I'm not really that upset about this by the way, I'm not on some like big crusade to change it. I absolutely recognize that ZSS moving up a tier isn't like saying the character was buffed; the tier list however is supposed to represent the meta game as it is now, assuming max skill level with a character. "How well might you expect to place if you were very very good with this character?" is something the tier list should be an answer to. Largely right now, it isn't; ZSS is only one reason. If we're asking that question though, ZSS should definitely move up a tier or so.

Purple

Hi guys!
This is what happens when tier lists are made via super tournament bros instead of by match ups.

Zero Suit Samus shouldn't go up that high, hell, she might not even need to be moved at all. Zero Suit Samus is one of those characters that has a random factor, where people just don't understand what makes her bad. Because of that, people who use her exceptionally will place very well if their opponent doesn't understand the character. Now I'm not trying to say that the character still sucks, because that would be silly. However I don't think we need to stop dropping characters and replacing them with her any time soon. We should probably continue to see how she does in high-level tournaments as people learn her (as I'm sure people like Tyrant will). If she does well even when people learn the match-up, then her boost would probably be necessary.

The comment about BBR only knowing about a-tier doesn't really matter though. A-Tier is the tier that is most important to know (s tier being obvious) and that those characters will appear most often in tournament. The BBR only knowing about them in detail is completely acceptable.

As for Ike, he will more than likely getting a boost, his tournament placings have been consistently getting better instead of fluctuating. However just like Zero Suit, I think some research and some time showing how well he continues to be will show his true placing (even then, he's low enough on the tier list that we would have to do some theory crafting against low tiers to see if he's truly better; or you know, people could get together and play matches.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
@Roxy:

Silly. High-level Zero Suit Samus players have been placing well and evolving for quite some time. Nick is just the first one that travels, and happens to be one of the best (Dazwa is probably as good). ZSS has been a tournament presence since late 2008 when Snakeee showed people what she can do. "No one knows the match-up" isn't an excuse anymore.

Purple

Hi guys!
@Roxy:

Silly. High-level Zero Suit Samus players have been placing well and evolving for quite some time. Nick is just the first one that travels, and happens to be one of the best (Dazwa is probably as good). ZSS has been a tournament presence since late 2008 when Snakeee showed people what she can do. "No one knows the match-up" isn't an excuse anymore.
I just want to confirm that Snakee, Dazwa, and Nick Riddle all live in the east coast, and that Nick Riddle only recently started traveling, is this correct? If it is, that means an entire side of the nation has not experienced Zero Suit on a high-level (assuming many of them don't travel), Including Tyrant. Late 2008 to now is not as long as you think; things about Jigglypuff vs Fox have only now (a year and a half ago or so actually) been discovered in SSBM, and it's been nine years since it's release. Please do not ignore the fact that Zero Suit is an uncommon character in any region.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I just want to confirm that Snakee, Dazwa, and Nick Riddle all live in the east coast, and that Nick Riddle only recently started traveling, is this correct?

If it is, that means an entire side of the nation has not experienced Zero Suit on a high-level (assuming many of them don't travel), Including Tyrant.

Late 2008 to now is not as long as you think; things about Jigglypuff vs Fox have only now been discovered in SSBM, and it's been nine years since it's release.
Right, but we're not trying to represent the metagame seven years from now with a tier list.

Also, there are other good ZSS' on the WC and Tyrant has played them, WarpStatus being the one that stands out.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Link is another story. He's underrated too, but is a very difficult character to learn and it seems pointless to put all that time in and still lose a lot. If there were ten Legans playing Link we'd see a pretty obvious jump in no time.
I disagree. Link is -really- bad.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
This is true, too, absolutely. But does ZSS really place like Toon Link or Pit? Or would you say she places about as well as Olimar, Lucario, and G&W? (I would certainly say better, but whatever.)

I'm not really that upset about this by the way, I'm not on some like big crusade to change it. I absolutely recognize that ZSS moving up a tier isn't like saying the character was buffed; the tier list however is supposed to represent the meta game as it is now, assuming max skill level with a character. "How well might you expect to place if you were very very good with this character?" is something the tier list should be an answer to. Largely right now, it isn't; ZSS is only one reason. If we're asking that question though, ZSS should definitely move up a tier or so.
I've always favored matchup based tier lists, rather than tier lists heavily influenced by placement. Placement is affected by character popularity and disparity of player skill, whereas matchups are supposed to be an objective overview of character tools vs character tools.

If ZSS is more capable of winning than Toon Link and Pit, it means that she has superior tools and traits that grant her a better matchup spread.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Link could be argued to do better than Zelda i would say.. I know nothing about Jiggs except that she has no tourney results... Link vs Samus sounds like a fun debate.. no killing power vs I can't recovery... who wins? XD

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm thinking by this point I can get away with saying stuff like "Ike should be at the top of E tier with Ness," can't I?

Emphasis on should because Ike being in Low Tier is just very convenient for the BBR. To be specific, the wallets of the BBR.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Link could be argued to do better than Zelda i would say.. I know nothing about Jiggs except that she has no tourney results... Link vs Samus sounds like a fun debate.. no killing power vs I can't recovery... who wins? XD
Depends on when Samus finally gets enough killing power to knock Link off stage obviously.

Oh wait, over all, not MU. Nevermind.

Max I could see Link is in Jigglypuff's spot.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I've always favored matchup based tier lists, rather than tier lists heavily influenced by placement. Placement is affected by character popularity and disparity of player skill, whereas matchups are supposed to be an objective overview of character tools vs character tools.

If ZSS is more capable of winning than Toon Link and Pit, it means that she has superior tools and traits that grant her a better matchup spread.
Just based on the MK and Snake match-ups, I would say she does. Other than Falco her worst match-up is 4/6 and there aren't that many of them. And yeah, Falco is bad, but to be fair, Falco has match-ups worse than his match-up with ZSS with one or two characters that make his life very difficult.

Purple

Hi guys!
Right, but we're not trying to represent the metagame seven years from now with a tier list.

Also, there are other good ZSS' on the WC and Tyrant has played them, WarpStatus being the one that stands out.
Wait... Who in the world is WarpStatus.

Ignoring my ignorance (lol alliteration) of who people are in the west coast. I'm assuming you've seen matches of Tyrant playing WarpStatus, I'm assuming that they play extremely often, and i'm assuming that WarpStatus is a high level player who consistently places well in the WC.

Even if all of this is true, there are many others who played Nick Riddle or any ZSS and just don't know the MU. Just because my example included Tyrant, and Tyrant just so happened to play WarpStatus, doesn't change the literal meaning of my message.

We should be trying to represent the metagame is clearly as possible. Like Turbo Ether said, one placing shouldn't mean an immediate change, these tier list changes need to happen over time. While I think his win should be looked at, multiple wins are needed to show that zero suit is a better character over this season. Quite frankly, she didn't have enough in comparison to others in v4

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
My answer to that post:

This isn't just one placing. If you haven't seen her placing well over the past year, you haven't been paying attention (which is fine, I don't go looking up the placings of random mid tier characters either). If this is the first time you've seen her place well, then it's probably because it's MLG.

Incidentally, Riddle also placed 9th at MLG Orlando and beat players like ksizzle and went to last hit with ADHD. ADHD has extensive ZSS experience, having played with and against Snakeee very very very often (ksizzle too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom