• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Grab
Dash away bair
Pivot bair
Wavedash
Shield isn't that bad either if you know when to use it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes. Every single one of them that isn't pivoted should be JC'd.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Fair, DK is faster than I gave credit. And is way strong. And yes I shield WAY too much. Bad habits die hard.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I don't recommend jump cancelling all of your grabs if you're just flat out chain grabbing. If you do, and they DI behind you, and you try to turn around and jcg really fast, you'll cancel the turnaround animation and just grab to your front. You have to just do a dash grab at that point. You usually CAN do a pivot grab if you have the timing down really well, but me personally, i just turn around and do a dash grab.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
?? If they DI behind you during a chaingrab you can just turnaround grab without dashing.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Is DK's CG cargo>uthrow or dthrow?
U throw. Only works on fox/falco/falcon. lol, if your opponent is inexperienced against dk, some super floaties you can cg with a d throw, but that's only if they don't di away. I wanna say i've pulled this off against jiggs, luigi, and maybe even peach. But this is not reliable at all, it's just fun. lol

phish-it

Smash Champion
Does uthrow>some aerial work at low %'s on Falcon?
Up throw aerial works on all percents against fast fallers, you can legitimately still combo them off a grab even at 300%. You can (cargo) up throw upair regrab falcon, if he doesn't jump, if he does jump after your up air you can up air again and catch him without a double jump.

Max?

Smash Champion
U throw. Only works on fox/falco/falcon. lol, if your opponent is inexperienced against dk, some super floaties you can cg with a d throw, but that's only if they don't di away. I wanna say i've pulled this off against jiggs, luigi, and maybe even peach. But this is not reliable at all, it's just fun. lol
You talking normal dthrow or cargo?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You talking normal dthrow or cargo?
Regular. Although if you have a wall in front of you, you can do cargo d throw chain grabs kinda. It will usually only work once or twice if you're lucky since it's not a true cg, but most people try to tech it as they're thrown, but it doesn't put them into the tumbling animation, so they land on the floor like normal and a shield comes up instead, and you can grab them in that split second while they're sitting there confused as to why their shield is up. lol

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Maybe Kwan too since he's Atlantic North.. ?

Will be cool to see which DK does best.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We're all going to drown in pools so it's not like it matters.
Man, APEX is only a month away. I need to practice.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ok, let's say I want to do a really low uair. I have to L-cancel it, right? Can't just really on autocancelling? Also, if I want a really low uair to connect, is the hitbox situated so that they basically have to be in front/in you for it to hit?

Also, any typicaly baits for a good upB? The only ones I know of are aerials deep in their shield(bairing purposely inside of their shield) and then upB, upB OoS to get away from shield pressure, and CC upB'ing poor pressure. Any others I can add to the list? If you're trying to combo cargo uthrow -> upB, do I basically have to have them directly above/slightly behind me for the strong part to connect? Or should I only really do this after a uair juggle or two instead?

Any input r00ls, definitely love playing DK once in awhile. Maining him would be cute, but that's wishful thinking ;P

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah if you want a really low u-air you have to L-cancel it. Auto-cancels frame 14. Check the hitbox thread for positioning.

You listed most of them. When they're on a plat above you tho you can usually hit them. They usually expect a uair and to be able to react. Also near the ledge where their spacing is somewhat limited because they don't want to die. I've also gotten Up-B's because I've read empty shorthops before lol.

uthrow upb is cute but i don't see the point when uair is amazing. I do it on occasion cuz I play on feeling a lot.

You play Dart often? Checkit

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
?? approach? DD grab or bair. Be good at spacing and learn the effective range of both of those characters. Weave in and out of them in the neutral game. Falco kind of shuts down DK unless he's really aggressive unfortunately. Sometimes you have to go really deep to land a bair though; this isn't a problem. Watch me or MEXICAN vs. Marth. I posted a set vs. Dart in my last post.

donny!

Smash Cadet
If you main DK who would be a good character to also have in your back pocket against a counter

I was thinking maybe ganondorf,

Right now im a sheik main, but dude DK is freakin sweet, im going to see what i can do, If i took him to a tourney(my first tourney) who would be a great character to bring along, to counter his counters.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Just have something to fight falco maybe fox, sheik, and ics depending on how far You want to go with it. puff/marth/sheik/space animals would likly be the best answer. But they do about everything better like about everything better than everyone else at about everything.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
just watchd the first game of yours vs dart, i gotta remember to help dart out on that matchup holy balls

but for now i gotta go to class brb

Edit: Back!

after watching more of the set, i think i was too harsh on dart in the first matchup. maybe he just needed time to feel out dk or something. he's pretty good at the matchup, he zones really good with aerials, as that is what marth is supposed to do in the matchup. he does a little more fsmash than i would, but whatever works for him i guess

as for you strongbad, nice work vs dart, really good ledgetechs, and your combos in the first match were pretty on point. and good **** for taking the last stock vs dart on that one match on pokemon stadium, especially when he was trying to make a mockery of dk by just dtilting all day LOL. when i saw that, i was like "strongbad better shieldgrab this guy" and then you did! good ****

also watching you play vs dart makes me miss playing mexican. sigh. so nostalgic

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
do NOT help him in the matchup!

Donny: I'm of the opinion that Ice Climbers is the best secondary for DK mains, but also the hardest. Basically you need to cover Falco and Sheik because they're the only truly unwinnable match-ups DK has IMO. Fox is good but I don't really like the Fox vs. Falco match-up even though I'm good at it. Marth would work in PAL but not NTSC. Sheik works great. Puff also works but that's just lame. Whatever you wanna do tho. I just go all DK. I'd just rather not use a secondary in tournament because then I'm just like "Man this is so much easier than using DK maybe I should drop DK" and I don't want do do that ever. I started getting that feeling at a tourney in September that I almost won going Fox in GFs. Such a stupid idea; I need to work on matchups with DK.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
O.o I remember posting something about ICs and Puff for DK mains.

Er, I think I did. W/e, yeah, main them, they're easy as ****.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Based on what many people, especially Strong Bad, say Dash Dancing is super important. I see it's used in vids and among the one or two higher level players I have played with, but still don't understand it. Where I am now (China) I can't watch any vids because they're all on Youtube so I thought I'd ask. When I come back to the states I think I want to play this game again.
All that being said, how do DD mechanics work? What is it used for and how does it accomplish those things? Other advanced techs are obvious (L-cancelling specifically). Wavedashing took some time for me to incorporate into my game, but I still don't get Dashdancing.

TL;DR Dur, what's Dashdancing for? How do I use it right?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Wow, I've been gone a long time! :O I realize I forgot to ask. Which uthrow is DK's CG on fastfallers? Cargo>uthrow or just uthrow?

Can't just really on autocancelling?
In general, autocancels (AC) occur either before the move even gets a chance to really come out or right after the hitbox has even finished. In the case of the former, you don't even get to hit, and in the case of the latter, the timing required is too strict.

Just have something to fight falco maybe fox, sheik, and ics depending on how far You want to go with it. puff/marth/sheik/space animals would likly be the best answer. But they do about everything better like about everything better than everyone else at about everything.
Lolz, so basically, to fight the space animals and sheik, one should play as the space animals or sheik. XD What's the point of "maining" a lower-tiered char if you're only gonna use him for other lower tiers. Either learn how the MU works or call DK your secondary. :p

Based on what many people, especially Strong Bad, say Dash Dancing is super important. I see it's used in vids and among the one or two higher level players I have played with, but still don't understand it. Where I am now (China) I can't watch any vids because they're all on Youtube so I thought I'd ask. When I come back to the states I think I want to play this game again.
All that being said, how do DD mechanics work? What is it used for and how does it accomplish those things? Other advanced techs are obvious (L-cancelling specifically). Wavedashing took some time for me to incorporate into my game, but I still don't get Dashdancing.

TL;DR Dur, what's Dashdancing for? How do I use it right?
Yes, DDing is very good, especially w/ DK. Basically, when you begin a dash, you enter an initial dash animation that's different from the rest of the dash. During this initial animation, you can enter a dash in the opposite direction and you'll laglessly begin dashing in the opposite direction (w/out skidding). Now, since this new dash also starts w/ an initial animation, you can cancel THIS dash into ANOTHER dash in the opposite direction, and so on and so forth. The distance that a character can go and still be able to instantly change dashing direction is uniquely dependent on the character.

The DD is used to place one's self in a position that allows him to punish mistakes from the opponent easily while maintaining unpredictability in the process. A DD can also be used to subtly change your position since you can run a little longer in one direction than in the other in order to gain net movement without terminating the dance. For example, let's say that I knocked an opponent down (hard) and he didn't tech. Now, I want to punish his next action but I don't want to over-commit too early to give him a way out. I could DD around and wait for him to roll, get-up attack, etc. and punish accordingly.

tl;dr Dash dancing is used for punishing while being unpredictable and keeping yourself in a good/neutral/safe position. To do it, just dash in the opposite direction right after you've begun a dash in one direction. You don't have to rush most of the time. You can actually move the control stick back and forth pretty slowly for chars like C. Falcon and Marth.

Top Bottom