• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My experience with RockCrock's DK is 3-stocking it at ROM3 in a friendly.

That said, Sheik-DK is bullcrap so I watched him vs Colbol and some others and decided it was pretty good overall.

I think PKM's was better though.

Renth

Smash Hero
RockCrock plays, he's a monster.

To be fair, the only other DK main I've played is Green Ranger so my DK experience is minimal.

Oh yea.. mentioning Green Ranger :

Tournament in Pittsburgh over the weekend.

Wish I could have gone, hope to see you again soon Green.

I really want to get back into this game :(

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
I think I did pretty well at carrollfest, I got 7th. I beat Cactuar and Abu. Lost to Carroll and theLake.

We'll play again Renth. Once the world is ready for the combined testosterone of our DK/Ganon team.

Renth

Smash Hero
I think I did pretty well at carrollfest, I got 7th. I beat Cactuar and Abu. Lost to Carroll and theLake.

We'll play again Renth. Once the world is ready for the combined testosterone of our DK/Ganon team.
We'll do great what could go wrong... other than me f airing you to death

i meant abu. power ranger monkey guy is pretty good.
oh power ranger monkey guy :cool:

My badddd

phish-it

Smash Champion
What a way to demoralize Abu game 1, Green Ranger, such a dirty comeback. And good **** on beating Cactuar too.

You're giving me too credit, I used Jigglypuff against Tope, not DK.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
What a way to demoralize Abu game 1, Green Ranger, such a dirty comeback. And good **** on beating Cactuar too.

I used Jigglypuff against Tope
I used Jigglypuff
Jigglypuff
What is the meaning of life anymore.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
mexican. the only dk player to never cop out. i tried so hard to convince him to pick up a technical fast character as a secondary, but no. :(

too bad he quit and doesn't even read this thread anymore

phish-it

Smash Champion
Lets be realistic here. We're playing a game thats been out for 11 years, we're playing a mediocre character in a game plagued with imbalance. You guys make it sound like I sold my soul to the devil because I played a different character in one match. There is practically no one who uses one character exclusively anymore.

I love the big monk, I still use him for almost every match.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Yeah phish-it there's nothing wrong with picking up a secondary for ****ty matchups (sheik, falco), I was just being silly.

I've been thinking about picking up jiggz as well for those 2 ****ty matchups above.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I'm seriously telling you! If you're gonna even think about picking up that stupid pink puffball for those MUs, you might as well pick up Samus. Samus:Falco is even. Samus:Sheik is okay for Samus if you're facing a Sheik who doesn't know how to play the MU (most don't). If they do, I doubt you'd be beating them with a pocket Jiggs anyway. Samus is so much more fun, on top of all that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Also, I may not be a well-established DK player in the world, but as far as I remember I've never dumped him in favour of a better character (although I have played other characters at minor tournaments).

=)
Yeah but you don't have to deal with the bull**** that is NTSC Sheik d-throw either.

That's kind of a thing over here.

edit: Don't listen to bubbaking. He's like actually ********.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Picking a character to counter Sheik who has a 3-7 MU against Sheik seems ********. Puff actually has a close MU and wins on some levels. Sheik Samus is brainless, you d-throw her and then she's a low tier and it's easy to grab her unless she's like Plup or something.

IMO as far as Sheik counters go, the real money is in just learning the Sheik ditto and secondarying her since she's similar to DK (in fact, she can be played similarly to most garden-variety poking characters and her medium-low tech skill requirement makes transfer easy) but w/e people can fiddle with balloons if they want.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well yeah, if you spam missiles all day. Watch Plup and Darrel and you see such nice aggro play balanced with good defensive play. She's not any more boring than, say, Luigi or Doc if you ask me.

Edit: Cool shield pressure mix-ups, too. Although the lack of a fast grab makes me sad at times...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
she isn't fun to use regardless of playstyle
she's samus at all times

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
wow, 10 seconds after I post, you respond. someone really hates samus

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Well yeah, if you spam missiles all day. Watch Plup and Darrel and you see such nice aggro play balanced with good defensive play. She's not any more boring than, say, Luigi or Doc if you ask me.

Edit: Cool shield pressure mix-ups, too. Although the lack of a fast grab makes me sad at times...
I agree with your summation of offensive and defensive balance in Samus.

All sarcasm aside, I can't argue with your bizarre personal view of fun. If you like Samus, despite how slanted she is as a character, then more power to you. Personally? I don't think I'd be able to stand a character so structured and limited.

But let's look at this from a DK player's perspective. Taking your suggestion, I'm stumped - I don't see how picking Samus and then losing to the same Sheiks is supposed to be fun. The impression I'm getting is that these secondary characters are being chosen with competitive viability in mind because picking another character that loses to DK's hardest counters (Sheik & Falco) seems redundant. In that case, why not just continue to play DK? Trading a 3-7 MU for a 3-7 MU seems like a lot of effort for what you already had.

From how I view it (which is obviously different than how you view it but whatever) their options are basically to learn Sheik, Puff, or Falco. Since those are the only characters who have roughly even or better MUs vs Falco and Sheik (invariably someone will scream at me for not including Fox but I feel Falco beats him).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You know for every video of a campy Samus you give me, I could give you a video of someone like Darrel going aggro with her, and doing well while at it. As I said, if you decide to go super campy with her, a MU can turn boring (for the other player :awesome: ), but she has great tools to switch between defense and offense, zoning and CQC.

All sarcasm aside, I can't argue with your bizarre personal view of fun. If you like Samus, despite how slanted she is as a character, then more power to you. Personally? I don't think I'd be able to stand a character so structured and limited.

But let's look at this from a DK player's perspective. Taking your suggestion, I'm stumped - I don't see how picking Samus and then losing to the same Sheiks is supposed to be fun. The impression I'm getting is that these secondary characters are being chosen with competitive viability in mind because picking another character that loses to DK's hardest counters (Sheik & Falco) seems redundant. In that case, why not just continue to play DK? Trading a 3-7 MU for a 3-7 MU seems like a lot of effort for what you already had.

From how I view it (which is obviously different than how you view it but whatever) their options are basically to learn Sheik, Puff, or Falco. Since those are the only characters who have roughly even or better MUs vs Falco and Sheik (invariably someone will scream at me for not including Fox but I feel Falco beats him).
Uhhh, Samus does better against Falco than DK does. HugS and some other notable Samuses believe it's even. Personally, I think it's a 60:40 at worst. She also has a much better MU vs Puff. The only char that I'll concede that Samus does as badly as DK against is Sheik, but that's it. If you're having severe troubles against Falco, Samus is a reasonable option to go to, as long as you're willing to put the time in to learn her quirks. As for Sheik, well, nothing can really help you there, short of just picking up Sheik yourself and hoping you can beat Sheik mains with your pocket Sheik. Going spacee, I think, is bad unless you're very technically and practically skilled with him, 'cause Sheik can get stupid things on him if he's not completely aware of Falco as a character and Sheik as a MU. Samus isn't hard-countered by the same chars that DK is, barring Sheik, and she and DK together provide pretty good MU coverage,.

Top Bottom