• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar...is bad at Doubles?

I had assumed that he would be good. He fits the archetype well; hits like a Mack truck, you're forced to be patient against him, and he's fairly hard to land a hit on.
Well, he's fine against the smaller characters- in fact he's great against them. It's the characters with good cornering, walling, and stage control options that get him in doubles. Marth, Snake, and MK come straight to mind. Sadly, they're the more popular ones in doubles as well.

Generally, Olimar needs to be able to space well and have lots of room to work with. When you push Olimar to the edge of the stage, he has trouble dealing with it. Usually in singles, I'm not pressured to the edge very often- as I've got lots of room to work with. (the whole stage instead of half) The 1on1s in doubles take place right on the edge and if I'm the one on the outside, it's an incredibly difficult place to be in.

Also, there's the deal with his recovery, and his very light weight. Those are pretty self-explanatory.

It may not be that Olimar is bad at doubles, but rather the other, more popular doubles characters are great at it. I dunno.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
i thought olimar was bad at doubles because he acts like a shotgun and can get ledgecamped by any of the three characters by accident

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
@ the PR discussion.

I did mention having a low tier PR list. That would be great, but only worthwhile if I make low tier side tournies a frequent thing.

I don't know if I agree with T1J's classification on the skill levels of bama players, especially since he placed Reflex in his own level. That's great and all, but that means you consider the entire rest of the PR to be either amazing or almost amazing. I wouldn't have thought that a list of 10 people would have such a thin line.

I do think, after considering it furthur, that creating a list of 5-10 more people would probably be annoying, and in that I felt more on the side of just more honorable mentions, like George pointed out along with me.
Then, when thinking about even that furthur, if we did just cluster 10 more people together to show off and not actually list them, that would still be a large portion of the entire Alabama Brawl Community. Would this be a problem I wonder?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do think, after considering it furthur, that creating a list of 5-10 more people would probably be annoying, and in that I felt more on the side of just more honorable mentions, like George pointed out along with me.
Then, when thinking about even that furthur, if we did just cluster 10 more people together to show off and not actually list them, that would still be a large portion of the entire Alabama Brawl Community. Would this be a problem I wonder?
I don't see any problems with it per se, but I like the idea behind a 10 person PR and no more than about 5 honorable mentions instead. When you have a smaller portion of the state mentioned in the PR, I feel that the people not mentioned would be more motivated to work harder. If I weren't ranked or in the honorable mentions, I can guarantee you that I'd be much more inclined to go to more tournaments and get my name thrown out there. Likewise, if there were only a 5 person PR (I'm currently 6th), I'd probably put a little more time and effort into practicing to get to that #5 position. That's just my opinion though. I'm fine with either way though.

Edit: Will_, that's a pretty good example, lol.

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
I don't see any problems with it per se, but I like the idea behind a 10 person PR and no more than about 5 honorable mentions instead. When you have a smaller portion of the state mentioned in the PR, I feel that the people not mentioned would be more motivated to work harder. If I weren't ranked or in the honorable mentions, I can guarantee you that I'd be much more inclined to go to more tournaments and get my name thrown out there. Likewise, if there were only a 5 person PR (I'm currently 6th), I'd probably put a little more time and effort into practicing to get to that #5 position. That's just my opinion though. I'm fine with either way though.

Edit: Will_, that's a pretty good example, lol.
Heck yeah. I can speak for both me and sLAm in that both of our goals are getting on that list somehow and when it's such a small list it makes you want to get on it even more.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't know if I agree with T1J's classification on the skill levels of bama players, especially since he placed Reflex in his own level. That's great and all, but that means you consider the entire rest of the PR to be either amazing or almost amazing. I wouldn't have thought that a list of 10 people would have such a thin line.
I'm pretty sure he meant it as a lighthearted joke.

DESPITE THAT, I AM BETTER THAN ANYONE, EVERRRRRRRRRRR

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Jokes are not funny.
Pikachu is not cute.
Reflex is not 6.
9000 is not a number.
Kalm is nto ad then fam.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Jokes are not funny.
Pikachu is not cute.
Reflex is not 6.
9000 is not a number.
Kalm is nto ad then fam.
He's cute when he's not QACing, thundering, chaingrabbing, tjolting, using aerials, downsmashing, or tilting.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
obviously i was joking about reflex being in his own classification.
im pretty sure not five posts earlier I stated that I believed reflex, will, and george were at basically equal skill.

but I do believe that the ten people on this list are the only ten active people in this state that I've personally seen that are even worthy of being considered for this list at the current moment. and I think it would be a detriment to the quality of this list to throw a bunch of random honorable mentions on there just because they happen to be better than a bunch of AL scrubs

but, that's just me.
That's why there's a panel.

the fact that I get consistently get owned by everyone online notwithstanding

personally, i'm extremely motivated to move higher up the list, because I think I am better than 9th in the state, but i'm going to have to prove it in tournaments
once i get to a point where I think I actually feel in my place, my fervor may subside

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I always thought low tier, doubles, and any other side event besides singles didn't count towards the PR. Is that not true T1J?
all in all
while GA and others may criticize me for it
I like the fact that this list was somewhat subjective to what the individual panelists thought was a proper criteria
but i'm pretty sure that all in all we are talking about singles here
i think doubles may come into play a teeny bit, because being good at doubles is a pretty significant skill in my opinion
like it would be hard for me to ignore someone who wins doubles every tournament, even if he doesn't place well in singles
but yes, singles is the main factor her, and low tier, definitely doesn't count. it's not fair to people who don't main low tiers lol

also, pika's taunt where he rolls around on the floor is probably the cutest thing in this game

B_AWAL

Smash Master
@Reflex - Olimar is ****, look @ KBM

@Low tier counting for rankings? If U like the idea of basing people's skill off of winning @ a tourney that only lets u use 1/3rd of the characters, go right ahead(but the idea is quite ridiculous).

@Teams - Brawl teams is in a league of it's own. Brawl Teams > Melee teams true story.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I think nobody is getting the idea that I'm saying could look into a LOW TIER PR LIST. Not letting Low tier results affect our current PR.

Example, Who is at the top of our PR list or whatever, he won the Low Tier tourny. Like I said before this would only be cool if we actually had frequent Low Tier tournies.

*eats cereal*
geez!

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
We've had one low tier tourney in the lifetime of brawl. The idea you're suggesting is rather shallow since we've only ever had one, and it's not really indicative of anything other than a very, very niche playstyle. And, of course, slippery slope. Donkey Kong PR list. Snake PR list. Items on PR list. Bananas on no Metaknights one teammate has to be Luigi doubles PR list.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i mean a low tier list is a novel idea, and if you guys want to get together and put it together, no one's stopping you for sure
i dont really find a low tier list that intriguing myself.
its like yay i can beat links with my ness, give me a trophy

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How good a person is in Low Tiers matters very little. The majority of people don't care.

Besides, I'd be like -17 on that list.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
If we had a Donkey Kong only tournament once every month for a year, we may as well have a way of determing who the best Donkey Kong was.

If we go through the trouble of having the Low Tier tourny monthly like what is being considered, and people go through the trouble of paying money, enjoying matches, having a great time, and winning money, then I thought it natural to assume people would want to continue the novelty with a low tier PR, or hell call it a hall of fame if you want.

In the end, we only have had one Low Tier tourny, which was the first thing I said on the matter. So it really isn't a point worth arguing until if/after we've had a couple more. Right now it's a just a thought or even possibly a prediction to keep in mind for furthur down the road.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
How good a person is in Low Tiers matters very little. The majority of people don't care.

Besides, I'd be like -17 on that list.
Yeah, when the person on the number 1 slot of the state's PR list mains a low tier character, you know that ****'s about to get real.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Ness looks down on all of you.

"Puppets have no god."

Bthrow~

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Having low tier PR's would give players a reason to acknowledge that its fine just being cheap and using High or Top tier chars. Which would end up making the game boring. If u just have regular PR's it give playters that use low tier characters more motivation to do better in REAL tourneys so that they can get onto the rankings and also raise the skill of their character. Remember how Jigglypuff and IC's rose through the ranks in Melee? We already see Diddy rising in Brawl. There is no telling who else will get better...

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Reflex uses PT as a main and is at the top slot of the PR.

Will uses Ness extensively and occupies a secondary slot.

People will always play whatever it is that interests them. This isn't the New Jersey Autism Alliance where everyone sacrifices fun and social well-being to plank Metaknight.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Reflex uses PT as a main and is at the top slot of the PR.

Will uses Ness extensively and occupies a secondary slot.

People will always play whatever it is that interests them. This isn't the New Jersey Autism Alliance where everyone sacrifices fun and social well-being to plank Metaknight.
Reflex also uses Wario and Will also uses Metaknight...

I get your point though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

I get your point though.
WarioWare may just be my favorite game series of all time. I've spent WAY too much time playing the original GBA game, not to mention all the others.

It wasn't until about half a year ago that I met my goal of getting a high score of at least 100 on every single microgame genre in the GBA one. I'm convinced that I am sitting on some world records.

(I have a short attention span.)

When I saw WarioWare costume'd Wario in the first trailer, I told myself I'd main him no matter how good or bad he was. Thankfully, he's quite tournament-viable.
And I play PT at least as much as I play Wario. Just saying.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772

I get your point though.
Neither were influenced by how good or bad the characters were when they picked them up!

In fact, I think that's one of the best parts about the people on our PR. All chose their characters either before the game came out or before the first brawl tourney (I know that's the case with George, Andy, Will_, Reflex, and meeeeeeee)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Oh Janitor, can I put Majist on the list as honorable mention as a total abuse of power and discretion?

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Oh Janitor, can I put Majist on the list as honorable mention as a total abuse of power and discretion?
No offense meant to Majist or you, but there are people in this state that are closer than him to PR like Pops or (I know someone will bite my head off for saying this) Spade.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Man did you miss the part where it is a total abuse of power and discretion?

Top Bottom