• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Yeah, I only really said it because I thought he was ranking good members of the AL scene instead of putting his thoughts into who should actually be on the PR based on tournament performance.

I don't think he should be on it either for now, but I felt like throwing his name around to remind people that he exists.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I didn't list Scourge either. How am I supposed to make any ranking based on information from one day at one place.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Finalized:

1. Reflex
2. Will_
3. George
4. Elev8
5. Billy
6. Kola
7. Munkus
8. DanGR
9. Shaslam
10. Cheap

Tiers:
2 3 4 5
6 7 8
9 10

My 'tiers' are people who I consider to be mostly equal in skill to at least some degree, and thus I used various amounts of tie-breakers in order to try and figure them out.

EDIT: As usual, I will give my commentary on each brawler later.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Finalized:
1.Reflex
2.Elev8
3.Billy
4.Will
5.George
6.Kola
7.Munkus
8.Cheap
9.Slam
10.Zero

The inactive boot ;D

<.<;; edit actually I'd feel terrible if I took Dan completely off the list

1.Reflex
2.Elev8
3.Billy
4.Will
5.George
6.Kola
7.Munkus
8.Cheap
9.Slam
10.DanGR

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
God, it is so freaking hard to read your posts with that stupid color.

Who says they don't?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
So why not review those, then readjust accordingly?

So why not review those, then readjust accordingly?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
They are all literally from the same day.

Literally.

And for ****'s sake just drop the color posting altogether

There is no reason to do it.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I think there should be a point system in place to accurately determine power rankings

1st place at tourney =5pts
2nd place at tourney=4pts
3rd place at tourney=3pts
4th place at tourney=2 pts
5-7th pace =1pt (only if tourney has over 20 participants)

Money Matches = .5 pts (only if person is on the PR)

this way we could actually have legitimate rankings instead of where people think others should be, this could ranking could also take place every 3 months, this is just how I feel it should be done.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think there should be a point system in place to accurately determine power rankings

1st place at tourney =5pts
2nd place at tourney=4pts
3rd place at tourney=3pts
4th place at tourney=2 pts
5-7th pace =1pt (only if tourney has over 20 participants)

Money Matches = .5 pts (only if person is on the PR)

this way we could actually have legitimate rankings instead of where people think others should be, this could ranking could also take place every 3 months, this is just how I feel it should be done.
This has been tried in other places, and almost always fails miserably. The problem is that this method doesn't consider difficulty of the tournament, number of participants, number of tournaments the player has attended, and what to do in the event of a tie. A panel has simply worked better in the past. Panelists will definitely rely on what has happened at tournaments, and they can take all of these factors into account.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The only way that pure mathematics can be used to determine placements is if all the same people go to the same tourneys and no out-of-staters compete.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Heck, I was just mentioning the only way for pure mathematics to be accurate.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Even then, it wouldn't account for the different players we all had to play in brackets. Beating a no-name wouldn't be the same as beating Will or Reflex.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
But thats basically how the PR is made up now, how well you did in tourney, if you deserve a spot on the PR you should do WELL in tournaments no matter who was there. It seems our PR is based on who people feel deserves a spot. Thats even worse than my idea at least there is some reasoning behind why people are in the PR. It also would alleviate the problem of people still being on the Power Ranking when they have been inactive for months.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
brackets are only a part of the equation.

mayne im glad yall keepin me on this **** frrrl.

ill make a list...
after i get sleep and get done studying for finals.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
The fact that everyone in the thread including panel members has a list on where people should be lol.....do you have proof to prove me otherwise cause I want to know what the PR is based on plz

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
But thats basically how the PR is made up now, how well you did in tourney, if you deserve a spot on the PR you should do WELL in tournaments no matter who was there. It seems our PR is based on who people feel deserves a spot. Thats even worse than my idea at least there is some reasoning behind why people are in the PR. It also would alleviate the problem of people still being on the Power Ranking when they have been inactive for months.
Name a person besides Dan that has been inactive for months that are on our new PRs. If we feel people deserve the spots its because they do, with impressive wins over many of the people on the current PR and the rest of AL's smash scene. If you're playing people on the PR chances are you aren't beating them, and that's the message that every state tries to make.

We make our PR based on who beats who, and how consistent they are about it. But because of inactivity, not many large scale tournaments, and a small pool of players we really cant do that.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Name a person besides Dan that has been inactive for months that are on our new PRs. If we feel people deserve the spots its because they do, with impressive wins over many of the people on the current PR and the rest of AL's smash scene. If you're playing people on the PR chances are you aren't beating them, and that's the message that every state tries to make.

We make our PR based on who beats who, and how consistent they are about it. But because of inactivity, not many large scale tournaments, and a small pool of players we really cant do that.
Wait, you're saying we can't base a PR on who beats who in tournament more consistently? Why not?

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I was talking hypothetically when I said that, I was just asking what our PR is based off of and defending my stand on how the PR should be made up.....I hope I don't come across as douchebaggish I'm just progressing the discussion lol:)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Pretty sure Dan's been to at least two tourney's this season.

I've been musing about which players were at what level of skill and competition based on their tourney performance against each other. I gave a list of roughly 11 and I narrowed it to 10 using a lot of mental crunching and requirements.

If you want to be productive, you can discuss the strengths and merits of the players and their performances instead of devising a poorly thought out scheme that woul flunk a statistics 101 class.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
And instead of insulting my intelligence you can come up with a system that actually works better than the one we have in place, Mr. Statistic :p. And if you wanna talk about statistics our current PR system would flunk a high school statistics class because you are trying to rate the fairness of a match and statistics can't do that.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
whats wrong with our system?

we look at stats and decide. what else are we suppose to do?
i just dont get what you are trying to impliment.

any suggestions?

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I'm just asking is there a different system we could use to make the process of deciding where people should be on the power ranking easier thats all

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Wait, you're saying we can't base a PR on who beats who in tournament more consistently? Why not?
No? O.o I'm saying we can base a PR on who beats who in a tournament more consistently. Did I word something wrong?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I just lost to a DDD player on wifi named luffy. I am salty!!!

WHERE U AT LUFFY?!?!

USGA MONTHLY

$20 MM!!

Top Bottom