• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
No matter what happens, I think Kola should at the very least be on the new list. He's a great player. I have played against a lot of Marths, and he is the best I've played.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i need to start coming to more tournaments. im pretty sure that im about 7th or 8th based on pure skill at the game

people are really weird with the placings though.
and apparently kola is like ten times better now, i dont really know how good he is, but from what you guys are saying he's like good good
he wasnt good good last time i played him

and george is really ****ing crazy talk. i dont even know.
like george has always been a beast, but I always thought kids like calvin, will, bill, lou, reflex etc were still on another level
but now i think geo might be up there with them

but i always go relatively even with geo in friendlies at the house. i think the diff. is that geo goes super saiyan in pressure situations, and i choke quite a bit

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
i need to start coming to more tournaments. im pretty sure that im about 7th or 8th based on pure skill at the game

people are really weird with the placings though.
and apparently kola is like ten times better now, i dont really know how good he is, but from what you guys are saying he's like good good
he wasnt good good last time i played him

and george is really ****ing crazy talk. i dont even know.
like george has always been a beast, but I always thought kids like calvin, will, bill, lou, reflex etc were still on another level
but now i think geo might be up there with them

but i always go relatively even with geo in friendlies at the house. i think the diff. is that geo goes super saiyan in pressure situations
Idk when the last time you played Kola was. He beat Dan in pools at T. A. F. He beat Munkus and 2-Oed me at the same tournament. That's the last time I played him back in late January.

I saw George last weekend at AUSOM. He 3-stocked Billy's snake in crews and beat him in brackets too. He also beat Zero and Cheap. Yeah, I thought the same thing about him until I saw him again at AUSOM.

I never got to play George in brackets, but I played him a lot in friendlies. We were going about even, but he may have been sandbagging or something. Idk.

When was the last tournament you went to? I'm not questioning your skill or anything, but it's really hard to say for certain where you'd be if you haven't played these people in awhile. I mean, people get better, you know?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
At TAF, my most recent tourney appearance:

Beat Elev8 in a $5 money match.
Beat Kola in pools, lost to Kola in brackets.
Beat DanGR in pools and brackets.
Beat Michaelis from the Georgia PR in pools.
Lost to Turtl from the Georgia PR in pools.
Lost to Billy in brackets.
Beat Shaslam in the crew-battle placement match.

EDIT: And I'll again say that Kola is really good. He definitely deserves to be on the PR, there is no question about that. The question is where on the PR he needs to be.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
the last tournament i went to was tcs7
but im keeping up
and people getting better includes me as well
Not saying it doesn't include you. I really don't know the skill levels of everyone in this community. I thought you were inactive, but TCS VII was pretty recent. I mean, you may be right about the 7th or 8th in skill level.

I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't assume that we've gotten better faster than other people have gotten better.

EDIT: Sorry, I feel like I completely misread your original post about this. Frankly, you made it sound like you were inactive and not up to date with the smash community but still assuming that you were 7th or 8th best.

But, I was obviously wrong if you hosted a tournament in February with a good portion of the AL brawl community there. You certainly have some idea of what's going on.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
In other news.....I got Billy first round at the Auburn University tournament today, I am pretty mad because I always have a hard match first in tourney that forces me into losers:mad:

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
1)Billy
2) Kat
3)+2ATK

now before you say anything me billy, wulfy, will were split between two brackets so we had to basically beat each other to make it out of the huge pools.... it was stupid, on top of that will basically beat kat and never went to losers kat came back and beat will and one his bracket/pool and will was just out of the tourney IT WAS STUPID

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
1)Billy
2) Kat
3)+2ATK

now before you say anything me billy, wulfy, will were split between two brackets so we had to basically beat each other to make it out of the huge pools.... it was stupid, on top of that will basically beat kat and never went to losers kat came back and beat will and one his bracket/pool and will was just out of the tourney IT WAS STUPID
Sorry I couldn't be there to put MK in his place...

This is what happens when all of the good players are on the same side of the brackets.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
and i got 3rd at tcs7 but i had a relatively easy bracket, compared to others..but mainly that tournament for me showed that I can play a tournament without choking. and i took will down to the last match of winners finals and i was pretty stoked about that.

but i was just saying in skill level.

the actual rankings wont be, never was, and probably never will be "a list of the top ten players by ranked by skill level"
(although that's something I would very honestly like to see attempted)

and i have my own opinions about skill level that probably differ with alot of people.
in brawl SOOO many things factor into who wins, the two most significant being character, stage CPs...and it very often clashes pretty hard with actual skill at the game.

thats one of the reasons why its so clear that reflex is the best player in the state. cuz he can compete at a national level with ****ty characters lol.

now, reflex may not like this, BUT if he continues to NOT win local tournaments, he's going to lose his number one spot on the PR

but even if he does, he will still be hands down the best player in the state regardless

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
and i got 3rd at tcs7 but i had a relatively easy bracket, compared to others..but mainly that tournament for me showed that I can play a tournament without choking. and i took will down to the last match of winners finals and i was pretty stoked about that.

but i was just saying in skill level.

the actual rankings wont be, never was, and probably never will be "a list of the top ten players by ranked by skill level"
(although that's something I would very honestly like to see attempted)

and i have my own opinions about skill level that probably differ with alot of people.
in brawl SOOO many things factor into who wins, the two most significant being character, stage CPs...and it very often clashes pretty hard with actual skill at the game.

thats one of the reasons why its so clear that reflex is the best player in the state. cuz he can compete at a national level with ****ty characters lol.

now, reflex may not like this, BUT if he continues to NOT win local tournaments, he's going to lose his number one spot on the PR

but even if he does, he will still be hands down the best player in the state regardless
I agree with pretty much everything you said except I think player skill outweighs matchups.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Matchups, psychological bull****, and counterpicks are a huge deal.

I don't think there are a lot of people that can just dash up to me and grab me in this game, but Reflex is one of them.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Matchups, psychological bull****, and counterpicks are a huge deal.

I don't think there are a lot of people that can just dash up to me and grab me in this game, but Reflex is one of them.
Yeah, they are a huge deal, but I think almost any bad matchup can be overcome by a more skilled player.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I agree with pretty much everything you said except I think player skill outweighs matchups.
it does in many cases
but there are some clear cut cases where the character itself, and nothing else makes a differenc.e. like if will_ never played metaknight, george would have won a lot of tournaments, if not every one where he and will were int he finals.

im not going to say george has "more skill" than will_. although at this point, i dont even know. but will_'s is just as knowledgeable about DK as he is about MK, but the gross difference in the quality of character selection makes a noticeable difference in this case.

you underestimate how ******** some of the characters in this game are lol
another example is i would say that reflex is better than calvin, and always has been. but they've gone back and forth in their victories and losses because reflex plays a ****ty character and kismet plays a ******** character lol

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
reflex is better than calvin, and always has been. but they've gone back and forth in their victories and losses because reflex plays a ****ty character and kismet plays a ******** character lol
i don't know. My brother played a lot of Wario back in the day & Calvin was still going even with him then.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I feel that if you picked the character then it does not matter, your player skill should be good enough to handle any situation. For instance Reflex plays PT who is a lower tier character than most, but he can still win tourneys and that is because Reflex knows his character so well that he can out weigh the bad, another example at AUSOM I saw someone who was on our power ranking (I won't say who) get beat by a ganondorf... by matchups thats not supposed to happen but it did because the players skill with that character was great

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Oh yeah, pools.

@TAF

1-2 Kismet
2-0 Slam
2-0'ed or 2-1'ed everyone else that I can't remember or don't know if they have a SWF account.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think there are some stupid matchups that are almost unwinnable like Fox vs Pikachu, Falco vs ICs, ROB vs MK, Tornado vs Donkey Kong.

However, I do believe most bad matchups can be overcome by knowledge of the matchup and player skill.

We can update it Raf, but we might want to appoint a panel.

EDIT: And we've seen people win some of these horrible matchups. I've seen Moogle 3-stock Pikachus in tournament with Fox (not me). I saw Zom~B beat a good MK with ROB. Although he hasn't won a set against his ICs yet, Kismet still has taken matches off elev8's Ice Climbers with Falco. So, we can't say they are completely unwinnable, however the matchup does make a much bigger deal in this instances.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
There is no such thing as an unwinnable matchup, every matchup you have the ability to move and put yourself away from bad situations.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i think zero should be on there.

and i placed 5th at one of these tournies lol

i have done only mediocre in the last couple that i have went to but i am not lying when i say the only time i get to play smash is AT TOURNAMENTS
and i'm no reflex.

so you can imagine how hard it is for me to adjust to a high skill level again in oh... about 3 friendlies or so...
but that is just me johning.
if i dont make the PR then so be it.
i will make the next one because i will have wifi and be able to practice on my own again.

i guess kola should be on it.
he is good and all.

its just marth is... :(
he has like two moves...
just space fairs and dtilt shields and you should be placing at least top 4 every time.

but kola been placing good frrl.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Alias for honorable mention lol jk......not really though, make me HM

I also feel the panel should be made up of 1 person from each city that there is a brawl scene... whats the point of having 3 people from B'ham on a panel when each of them can influence each other *talking in a political point of view, not liteally*, also it seems the Panel is very centralized around Northern AL what about the lower part of the state they deserve a panel member too, this is just how I feel on the matter

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
George~Bham~went to tourney's basically everywhere in AL
my brother~PC/AU~ went to tourney E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E-
we need one more~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
George is moving right?

and thats pretty much how the panel I had planned out looked like

If you recall I posted:
Reflex
Elev8
Kola
Will_
Munkus

I'm sure I've gotten complaints about Reflex not being part of AL's smashscene before, :l but well, as of recent this would be false.

Elev8 should go without question

Kola, I mean it could be me or George. XP I pay attention to this thing too much anyway

Will_ Best from the Hunstville Area

Munkus Best from the Tuscaloosa area.

If anything we could switch out Reflex for Billy, for our AU representative.

btw do you know how hard it is to beat a Mk with Marth?

Oh and I'm all for getting this updated asap. :D

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Wow, we're losing our smash scene fast.

George, if you really don't think you should be on the next list because you're moving, then that would make you a good choice for a panelist (not that you weren't already a good choice).

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
So much wrongness.

Reflex isn't going to lose his number 1 spot in the state by losing Alabama tourneys if the only people he loses to are Georgia players. Surprise!

The fact that a person uses a 'good' character or a 'bad' character means jack all. It's all perception, you crybabies. "Unwinnable match-ups." HA! Yeah guys, the only reason Elev8 wins tourneys is because he plays ice-climbers. Sure thing.

Will underscore gets two demerits for using metaknight! Munkus gets five demerits for using metaknight! Elev8 gets three demerits for using Ice Climbers against Kismet!

Not how it works, guys.

A better way to think about this is if you had a randomly seeded tourney with all the people from Alabama, after 100 tourneys, who would have placed higher?

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone is saying that any matchup is unwinnable, but there are some matchups that are hard as ****. But see, that's the choice we each make on the character select screen. If I pick Fox, then I run the risk of getting myself CGed by Falco or Pikachu.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Elev8, it has been demonstratively proven that you play so many characters because you are bad at the game. I'm sorry, you're off the power rankings forever.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Elev8, it has been demonstratively proven that you play so many characters because you are bad at the game. I'm sorry, you're off the power rankings forever.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LET'S UPDATE THIS TONIGHT!!! I would not remove George. Even if he does move we are updating for this past season and he was really active.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
For top five I'm probably thinking Reflex, Will_, George, Elev8, and Billy. In that order.

Haven't decided on the rest.

EDIT: Tier 2 is Dan, Kola, Munkus. No particular order. That's 6-8.

Tier 3 is Zero, Cheap, and Slam. Again, no particular order as of yet.

Unless I'm missing somebody.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
No I didn't.

He's been to one tourney all season long.

I did not forget him.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Sample size: One

If scourge wasn't in the PR two PR's ago, neither should Serin imo for the same reason

Top Bottom