• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Alabama Brawl Power Rankings UPDATED December 19, 2009

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
m3t, everyone was having a horrible day. at the next tourney you will be shocked with the singles im sure.

i dunno why everyone was either bored, sleepy, or not feeling good by the time singles started. i was too. i was just tired. i think there is too long of a break between doubles and singles at vulcan.

1. No sleep whatsoever.
2. Those god**** black lights and solid white shirts.
3. TV Johns??
4. ???
5. Food poisoning.

Have I even posted in this thread yet. My life has sucked thiiiiiis much since the tourny. I just moved to a new place a couple days ago and I have to find more income or I can't support myself here. Sorry for my vanishments.

Thanks a ton for the votes guys. Kind of sad though, I only made it on because DanGR decided to drop off the list, which means we don't truly have any beatdown newcomers moving up the ranks. Either way, I'll still do my best to get up the list by eating as much pie at TCS as possible.

Seriously though, DanGR should still be on honorable mentions, no?

And @ DangGR, sorry for my slight failures in doubles. It's sad to say we did our best doing double Olimars lol. Thanks to this AU local college tourny, I've seen that my DK can get hurt even by scrub teams if I'm not super careful. I think my playstyle is weak in using DK in teams, and I need to find some way to fix that and sync.

That said though, here are the results for that fun little tourny.
Doubles-
1. Kalm/M3T
Singles-
1. Kalm
2. M3T

There were a lot of pros there. I got a 50 dollar giftcard for Gamestop.
Yay.
Someone employ me.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think just the fact that we put "DanGR has asked to stay off the list" says something about how good he is. I mean, you don't see "ShaSlam has asked to stay off the list" anywhere, do you? Lol, just teasing ShaSlam.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yes, whenever it says that someone requests to be left off it usually means they would have made it on the list.

a while back Nite asked be left off the mid south melee power rankings list when he would probably been like number 1 lol

its easy to get on the list though, just beat people n stuff

Rayku

Smash Lord
Haha. I requested to remain off the GA power rankings and all I get is a bunch of people asking me why =P No props to meeee.

<3 AL

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I figure that having a picture/bio next to your name is one of the benefits of actually being in the top ten. Gotta have some kind of prestige.

@ remeii, like I honestly believe this is a prime time to get good at this game. I think the only two people on this list that are really srsly good at Brawl for srs are Reflex and Will_...everyone else is just figuring **** out, they just happen to have learned some tricks that everyone else doesn't know how to deal with yet...so I think if you really want to get good you can just sit down and practice and brainstorm and gather ideas and figure out what you're doing wrong and you can shoot up the list really. but you have to beat the curve because everyone on this list is pretty much doing the same thing. Well, I know I am at least.

But it really is quite easy. Whenever you lose, figure out why you lost, and then don't do that anymore. After a while of "not doing things that make you lose" you'll find yourself beginning to win.

Usually the difficulty is in training your mind to break bad habits or to overcome mental blockades. Like sometimes "the reason why you lose" was that you insisted on playing a character that loses this matchups 20/80 or that you insisted on "playing honorably" or something.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think the only two people on this list that are really srsly good at Brawl for srs are Reflex and Will_...everyone else is just figuring **** out, they just happen to have learned some tricks that everyone else doesn't know how to deal with yet...
I agree with the rest of what you said about getting better, but I don't agree with this part. Reflex and Will are not the only seriously good people on this list at brawl. DanGR, for instance, can beat me with nearly every character. Why is that? It's not because people don't know how to deal with Olimar or because he learned a few tricks. It's because he can predict people like nobody's business, he has great spacing, and his strategies are appropriate for whatever match we are playing. Moogle is the same way. There's a reason he can beat Pikachus with his Fox XD.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
This is the skill ratio for brawl.

{--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------}

Lets pretend that somewhere near the start of that is Vegeta at the beginning of the DBZ series. Vegeta was really strong and badass, and could blow up planets easily.
After the halfway point, you are a super saiyan.

You can be really awesome, but still not nearly as awesome as some super saiyan 2 person or whatever.

This is quite possibly the worst example of anything ever. Let us pretend I am still drunk, yes?

Sig.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
And @ DangGR, sorry for my slight failures in doubles. It's sad to say we did our best doing double Olimars lol. Thanks to this AU local college tourny, I've seen that my DK can get hurt even by scrub teams if I'm not super careful. I think my playstyle is weak in using DK in teams, and I need to find some way to fix that and sync.
Not a problem. I think we had to play on some LCDs.

I figure that having a picture/bio next to your name is one of the benefits of actually being in the top ten. Gotta have some kind of prestige.
If you think the only thing people have to gain from being in the top ten of this list is to have a picture of the character they use next to their name, then that’s really quite sad. I don’t know about you, but I liked the list when it first began because, symbolically, it gave me a tangible list a things I had to do to get better to prove my worth at something I wanted to work hard at. It provided me with a goal, a target, some ambition, and an objective to reach. I wanted to be better than I was then, and I wanted to get to the top more quickly than anyone else. It was more for me than anyone else, really.

Anyways, the character icons are just some small additions to make the thread look nicer- nothing that should be excluded from the honorable mentions because they didn’t make it on the final list. If you don’t give someone a character icon that wants it, you might as well highlight, bold, and put some stars around Reflex’s name and give him a much, much longer summary cuz he’s first. Same deal.

@ remeii, like I honestly believe this is a prime time to get good at this game. I think the only two people on this list that are really srsly good at Brawl for srs are Reflex and Will_...everyone else is just figuring **** out, they just happen to have learned some tricks that everyone else doesn't know how to deal with yet...so I think if you really want to get good you can just sit down and practice and brainstorm and gather ideas and figure out what you're doing wrong and you can shoot up the list really. but you have to beat the curve because everyone on this list is pretty much doing the same thing. Well, I know I am at least.
That's a really bold statement to make.

edit: is the screen really wide for anyone else? O_o
edit2: Kalm, I think it's your arrow thing.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Nobody is good at brawl for real. I could probably count on my two hands the total number of people in this country who are actually "good" at Brawl. In some sense "good" is a relative statement, and in that sense everyone on this list is "good". but in another sense, we're only on this list because we are good at beating people who aren't good, which isn't really indicative of being "good", it's just indicative of knowing tricks that not-good people don't know how to deal with. when i say 'tricks' i don't mean gimmicks and stuff like that...clearly the people on this list have skill. i don't think its possible to not have a grasp of spacing and prediction and game knowledge and still make this list...and that's mainly what separates Pr people from non PR people, that and mental discipline.

moogle or dangr or me or mahg can 2-0 entire pools of "not good" people and that's why we're on this list.
As soon as we start facing other people who can do the same thing, our results begin to vary wildly and without much logic to it. Just whomever feels better that day.

the only people in AL who consistently defeat other relatively "good" people are reflex and will_

I should say that DanGR has been beasting as of late, and he's possibly reached a level that most of us other PR people haven't reached, but I dont know for sure.
but there's no doubt in my mind that will and reflex to a larger extent are on a whole nother playing field from everyone else. like maybe thats what kalm was saying...i didn't quite understand but maybe lol.

if the average player is like a 2, you only need to be a 3 or 4 to make a PR list, but will and reflex are 9s and 10s and that's the **** i want to get to yahmean

and having a picture next to your name isn't "the only thing" people have to gain by getting on the list, but the PR list in and of itself is a motivator and its good for the competitive community, so i want to do whatever i can think of to make people want to be on it and move up it. I even considered making the sizes of the name gradually increase as it got closer to number 1 but i didn't think that would look good. i'm just trying things out. I dont want this to be a AL circle jerk where we idolize our favorite smashers. I want it to be something to strive for. if you have ideas for that by all means let me know.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
and having a picture next to your name isn't "the only thing" people have to gain by getting on the list, but the PR list in and of itself is a motivator and its good for the competitive community, so i want to do whatever i can think of to make people want to be on it and move up it. I even considered making the sizes of the name gradually increase as it got closer to number 1 but i didn't think that would look good. i'm just trying things out. I dont want this to be a AL circle jerk where we idolize our favorite smashers. I want it to be something to strive for. if you have ideas for that by all means let me know.
As far as the picture goes, I just wanted people to make a correlation between "pika cam" and "Cam." Even in Tuscaloosa, people didn't make that connection without help. Also, I just think the list would look better with a Peach and a Pikachu icon at the bottom. I'm not asking for a bio or anything like that. And this isn't going to stop me from trying to get good enough to make it onto the PR and beast all of you guys with Pikachu mindgames ;)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I gots a warning. =(

My point is far more important that rules, don't you see?

Also now my sig won't show, how tragic.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im not gonna let this thread die.
and pika cam.
i know im not good enough to be on the list. i dont even wanna be on the PR right now cuz thatd just be stupid and inaccurate.
i still wouldnt mind an honorable mention though -_-
and i will work my *** of for it.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
yeah, now im working for the rankings, but I honestly don't think I will progress much further, especially once everyone figures out how to actually play against peaches. =(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My goal is staying at the number one spot until I die or I move.

Actually, scratch that; I want to be so good at I stay at #1 even after I die.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
:( dang it I can't travel a bunch so I understand if you take me off the list... Maybe we could start doing online portions of tournies so i can still play.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Ive been playing brawl lately and im starting to like it for some reason, but anyways i goona start coming to you guys brawl tourneys. I gonna get destroyed, but practice make perfect.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
You will do well. Took me three tournies to finally make it out of pools. I got destroyed at my fist one and in my fourth one i beat my first opponent in the actual tournament. Logically, i should beat two people in the next one

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'm proud I've always made it out of pools in every Brawl tourney I've participated in. Brackets never go very well though :/
Thats usually the same for me. Always make it out of pools, then always die to some ranked players in brackets...meh...

Top Bottom