• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NW Thread Next Fest 9th September !!!! BACK IN BUSINESS !!!

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
I agree wit Joe Cole srsly, also where's Owen at?

Owen > Crouch > Hesky > Defoe tbh, dono where to put Rooney as hes slacked these two past matches.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Shame Scotland arn't there, they would be ****** dem brazilians. Scotland got the 2014 world cup

da **** happened to England yesterday...

Kone

Smash Master
Campbell???? uhm what? newcastle wouldnt give him a game in the championship >_>

Look at who crouch has scored against :/ :S ...enough said. He wouldn't help.

I don't even know what to say about the Owen comment. Someone posting about football with no clear knowledge of anything that has occurred in the last 6 years?!

I reckon Rooney is injured or throwing an absolute wobbler about something. Ive never seen him play that ****e.

Joe- let me check my diary before you book anything. Will post tomorrow morning, ive got a slight concern about the dates. I am worried I have something on on the 15th :s

grayfox

Smash Champion
Not saying Campbell should start but he should be in the 23, Rio and King played about 30 minutes each this season and Campbell was playing Champions League football and played half a season at Arsenal just to get into the England squad and done well. Now Carras out for the 3rd game, Campbell would be good to be there.

Crouch is at least scoring though, Heskey and Rooney aren't.

Kone

Smash Master
Both Dawson and Upson had much better seasons than Campbell. I wouldn't take Campbell over either. No premier league club is happy to give Campbell a contract which is very telling?

Doesn't matter if Crouch can put them in against minor opposition if he can't do it against top teams (which is why he doesn't feature for spurs against the top clubs). You could argue that he would do the 'job' against algeria or slovenia but England have to build a team that will outperform better opposition and get better as the tournament goes on. This means not starting crouch imo.

Rooney just looks completely out of sorts. As I said, It wouldn't surprise me if we find out he is injured or quite simply throwing a major wobbler. Would put money on him preferring to be left upfront alone aka like he has all season. Which, would also be England's best formation U_U. Wish Capello would just play his best players in their best positions. Ridiculous idea that it is!

grayfox

Smash Champion
I'd take Campbell over both of them for a world cup run, still good enough and has plenty of leadership and caps but fair enough. Arsenal have offered him a 1 year contract as well but aye its debatable, think he should've been there over King any way.

Crouch does feature against top clubs though, he scored against City which won Spurs their CL spot. Heskey doesn't even play for Villa, I just don't think Heskey should be playing at all as his entire purpose there is to bring Rooney into the game, but Rooney isn't playing well enough to dictate the formation of the entire team. A traditional 4-4-2 with Crouch/Defoe would work better.

Rooneys probably just burnt out after the long season, hes only scored 1 goal since March and that was in a friendly against RSAs B-team.

Haha yeah I don't really rate Capello after some of the decisions hes made so far. Leaving Walcott when he started in all the qualifiers, and then playing SWP over Cole from the bench, don't get it. The keeper fiasco too, should just pick someone and stick with it. He even refused to use the new ball in practice!

Kone

Smash Master
Regarding featuring against top clubs I meant score/assist not that he doesn't play. He scored against City but not against any other top ten club this season =s. I still don't think he is an international striker than can start for England and perform to the level we need to progress passed the last 16.

I completely agree regarding Heskey btw. I don't understand why he gets into the England squad never mind start. Bent/Agbonlahor should have gone instead.

Rooney maybe burnt out and I really hope he isn't. If he isn't burnt out then the team should still be set up to play around him. I think his last two performances may have been so poor as this isn't the case unlike at Man U (well not to that degree but more so than with England). I just don't think he is getting the role that he wants and that would suit him and England to the fullest. No need to play crouch/hekey/defoe beside him. Just play Gerrard in the hole behind.

I agree about Capello. A number one keeper should've been sorted out ages ago. Tell them and the public there number one and keep them there even if there are mistakes. Joe Hart should be given a long run in goal and the knowledge/comfort that he isn't going to be thrown out with one poor performance. I don't get why Walcott was dropped and why johnson hasn't been given a proper go. Playing SWP over J.Cole is baffling. I reckon cole has over stepped his mark in training somewhere =s

Can't wait to get back to having an English manager!

grayfox

Smash Champion
Yeah Crouch might not have the skill for the entire tourney you're right, think standard 4-4-2 works well for games like last night though, Gerard just behind Rooney in 4-5-1 for the big games, Crouch on the bench.

Rooney might still be feeling that injury he got in the Bayern game as he hasn't really had a good game since then and probably got rushed back. If he doesn't pick up some form England are in bad shape with the team built around him, but they probably won't go far if he doesn't pick up form any way.

Yeah I think Hart should be number 1, Green is supposed to be there because hes consistant but he hasn't even shown that. James is ok too, but switching mid tourney is shocking. Not playing Cole is pretty terrible, he was Englands best player last wc and has done well for Chelsea near end of season, Walcott would've been perfect for a super sub as well, SWP brings no goal threat when hes brought on with 20 mins to go, just stagnates the games further.

haha really should have one, bit of a joke having a national team with a forign manager, especially if he doesn't even do the job!

Kone

Smash Master
Yeah I think your right about the Rooney injury, wouldn't surprise me if he has been rushed back. Agree about his form though. Either England are built around him, he plays well/fit, we do well or we are just a very mediocre team :s. England need to produce better forwards :(

Hart should just be given number one for sometime. He is young and full of potential. Not much left in James and Green is 30 and ain't that good.

Redknapp/Hodgson should be given the job if Capello fails to take England passed the group stages. Shouldn't be allowed to remain in place for the Euros on the money hes getting!

(I hope Lamps or Gerrard retire after this tournament and then we won't have the issue of who to play in midfield/drop/pretend they can play together).

grayfox

Smash Champion
Agree on Hart, he is the future and is already the best of the 3. I could see Hodgson taking it, Lampard and Gerrard probably will play next Euros and retire but neither seem arsed about England so who knows haha.

Kone

Smash Master
Yeah I think Hodgson is a good fit. Understands the english game and how to get the best out of players. Also don't think he has time for 'stars'. Wily, tactical and knows how to organise a team properly. Its not as if an England team will ever want to play overly attacking/attractive football. The best thing about Hogson is that, unlike any other english manager that could get the job after Capello, he actually understands the international game. Took Switzerland to the last 16 in '94, qualified them for the euros in '96, managed in Denmark/Italy/Switzerland/Norway/Sweden and successful anywhere he has been. Barely missed out on getting Finland to qualify for Euro '08 (went down to last qualifying match). So, sould know how to get the best out of english players but also how to play them best against continental oppositon (and communicate it properly unlike capello).

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
I understand where you're coming from with the rooney comments but bear in mind the lad's used to having much better support from the wings courtesy of nani & co and playing with a hold up striker who can actually hold up the ball*

You really still think Capello is the tactical mastermind he's been made out to be after the last two stubborn performances of refusing to change his tactics until the last 15 minutes in the face of being clearly wrong? I'm starting to think the optimism all stemmed from the players simply starting to play together well at the same time as Capello managed us, rather than it being anything inherently to do with his choices

It's time to start playing a 451, maybe the extra space will finally see gerrard/lampard finally fulfilling a mite of their club form... maybe not :/

also heh, looks like the 26th is not gonna be the england game at this rate! What's tha plan, stick around till the day after?

*for all his flaws, the one thing berbatov can do as well as anyone is hold posession, that guy creates space like a fiend

COEY

Smash Lord
i never meant wright phillips for joe cole, for lennon, as lennon is clearly incapable of crossing a ball and finding an english head. he's struggling to not give them goal kicks most of the time.

who ever takes job after cappello id like beckham to be the assistant, he's just what the lads need to get them motivated, look how downhill we've gone since he resigned his captaincy.

and joe as long as the times and date are cool with mr eddon then book yea, i'll osrt the time off work, havent used any days up yet.

COEY

Smash Lord
the EM thread has more posts than this one!! gotta sort this out.

at least the smash players arent as good :) we have our elite 4 ^_^

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
The current EM thread is our 2nd thread, the original had like 300+ pages I think.

We arn't that bad at Melee, although me and some others are pretty good at Brawl.

COEY

Smash Lord
i wasnt saying you were bad at it, just the opposite of good ;)

im the wrong person to talk about being good at brawl to, to me being good at brawl is like telling me that your good at breathing, or good at walking down flat roads. i really just dont care :)

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
mm now the football's not on saturday in this weather I don't really fancy playing melee all day, it's just too sunny

COEY

Smash Lord
it pressed L R A and start.

oh and that amcd character, i think he's to blame if i'm honest (which i am)

COEY

Smash Lord
Hey guys, NW Jo3 here... just with a quick Question

What happened to NW smash lol
sorry for double post but...

wtf are you calling yourself NW Jo3 for you tool? like as if no one knows. NW Jo3? honestly?

J03

Smash Master
XD

coey come over as soon as your able im soooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BORED!

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Unreliable? I just have alot of lectures and labs, so I'm busy most weekdays.

Although I can make Friday and Saturday. See you then :)

COEY

Smash Lord
thanks for having us all round once again joe :)

yen - always a pleasure dude, such a cheeky fox ;) if you get abit more patience and mix up your approach abit more you will be a force to be reckoned with.

ant - again good seeing you dude, thanks for the pointer on dotd :)

blinky - definitely improved since we last played, you need to be more creative and mix things up abit to reach that next level.

joe - thanks for agreeing with the no fox no luigi policy, i got sooo lucky with samus.

alan - GANONDORF!!!!! :) get good with someone other than peach jeez :p

Top Bottom