• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
So true, look at this silly thing. It works with other characters too, though.

I've mentioned this a few times to different people, but I haven't really carefully explained it, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Keep in mind that the only way I have of capturing these images is photographing the TV screen with a digital camera, so the quality isn't Magus level, but they get the point across, I think.

Basically I'm showing what Marth's dtilt looks like against Sheik's shield, then what happens when Marth holds away while Sheik grabs on the soonest possible frame.

This one is just to show the spacing. I don't know what the minimum safe range is. Jumping forward a bit...

This is the final frame of Sheik's shield stun.

This is the frame before Sheik's grab hits. I wonder what will happen...?

HEY WHERE'D YOU GO?

Same image as above with hitboxes/hurtboxes shown. As you can see, Marth could start the dtilt even closer and still be safe.

Like I said, this demonstration assumes perfect timing on Sheik's part and a simple directional input on Marth's part. It's extremely practical and easy to do.

This works even better against characters with smaller grabs (Fox, Falco, Peach).

I hope somebody can find some utility in this. :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
lol with you pp you could do somekind of Dashaway pivot Fsmash
Arc from the MW did that a ton and it was surprisingly effective.

I like to do Dtilt DD Nair because of the poking/spotdodge **** but in reality that Nair is a terrible idea lol. I think I might start dash attacking instead.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
pp, with any and every dash attack do you focus on making sure you cross over so as to not get shield grabbed, or do u just shine afterwards either way and that takes care of it?

Diatenshi

Smash Lord
Arc from the MW did that a ton and it was surprisingly effective.

I like to do Dtilt DD Nair because of the poking/spotdodge **** but in reality that Nair is a terrible idea lol. I think I might start dash attacking instead.
i really wanna work on the double fair OOS.OOD...

dash, sheild cancels momentum, double fair, DI if you wanna fade, pressure, or maintain space

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
pp, with any and every dash attack do you focus on making sure you cross over so as to not get shield grabbed, or do u just shine afterwards either way and that takes care of it?
Assuming it gets shielded?

Well I usually don't think about it when I'm doing the dash attack because I just want to get the hit quickly lol. Shining afterward is typical unless I can see the whiffed grab attempt or know I got through them(I usually shine after anyway though).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
chris i wasnt trolling. i hadnt even heard tomahawk before someone at mlg was like "is stingers really tomahawking dsmashes?" and I couldnt really tell who it was

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, i'm assuming it gets shielded. its a problem i run into as ganon, cause when it doesnt get shielded i'm in great shape (lol) when it does get shielded and i cross over, i'm in decent shape (runaway bair or something), but when it gets shielded and i'm still there...horrible things happen. its an odd give and take, cause if i wait longer, i might miss the hit and drop the combo/combo starter/punish, but at least i'll be in a less compromised position if its shielded.

:-\ this game.

edit: oh, ok stingers. well good **** tomahawking dsmashes. if i played a character with a better poking dtilt/dsmash, i'd probably do that a lot. super smart, and as ganon, i love shield poking. ah, fair through platforms....

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh yeah you did start doing that.

Very good idea.

Tomahawking is legit.

Edit: Ganon's dash attack is safer I'm pretty sure, so you have that....

Top Bottom