• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
just saying, i saw ur *** maybe like 40 times at my smashfest

maybe i was just daydreaming though

anyway karn....

yeah maybe they don't correlate with skill as well as they could

but..

rankings ALWAYS correlate with seeding ;}}

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i would just like to say that, for the record, brawl PRs weigh losses as more important than wins (it tests consistency much better overall and is less reliant on external factors like beating someone whos drugged up and tired etc. obv wins still count but if you lose, that is 100% your fault).

basically what im saying is, if josh played brawl instead of melee, he'd be much happier right now.

and camron ur ****ing wrong *****aaaaaaaa

lord karn

Smash Master
just saying, i saw ur *** maybe like 40 times at my smashfest

maybe i was just daydreaming though

anyway karn....

but..

Yeah, they do correlate with seeding, but the state of the melee scene right now actually makes me not care if I am a few spots lower seed. I honestly think I have a higher chance of losing to Josh/Stingers/Theo than I do against You/Ali. As it is, having the higher seed would give me a higher chance of playing the people I think I have a higher chance of losing to.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This is pretty entertaining.. it reminds me of the good old times when PRs were actually Serious Business! The community def needs more fire and the anger! Motivation! =P

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
A big post
Interesting stuff. Theo having no major wins and me having wins by your logic should definitely put me above him except that I lost to him. Again, you do have a decent win record but I really don't think beating Fullmetal should matter nearly as much as losing to moTT or Stingers (whether I beat them or not).

but..

This x 100000000

i would just like to say that, for the record, brawl PRs weigh losses as more important than wins (it tests consistency much better overall and is less reliant on external factors like beating someone whos drugged up and tired etc. obv wins still count but if you lose, that is 100% your fault).
And that's **** and makes way more sense. To me, it's always seemed like: every ranking, my big losses were all that mattered (read: any time I've EVER lost to a non-ranked player) and I got taken off immediately. Apparently that's not the case depending on who you are.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
alex, basically, shape the **** up cuz.... we got rid of foxy... and we can get rid of you too

where's waldo *****

he's ****ing dead

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think when I beat FullMetal at HERB 1 with Ganon I got like.. 10th loool

I think bad losses should hurt more than big wins, I also think a little too much Inui logic is being used here (I beat player A who beat this good player, player B, so my win over player A is worth more)... I dunno how much weight that holds but hopefully not a lot.

Also, I don't think tiredness/drugs/being out of it should matter AT ALL. A win is a win, NO JOHNS. If that player knew they couldn't perform nearly as well, they should A) just play for fun and say F the stupid PR's, or B) not enter the tournament (if they care that much about PR's)

lord karn

Smash Master

I think bad losses should hurt more than big wins, I also think a little too much Inui logic is being used here (I beat player A who beat this good player, player B, so my win over player A is worth more)... I dunno how much weight that holds but hopefully not a lot.

Also, I don't think tiredness/drugs/being out of it should matter AT ALL. A win is a win, NO JOHNS. If that player knew they couldn't perform nearly as well, they should A) just play for fun and say F the stupid PR's, or B) not enter the tournament (if they care that much about PR's)
Inui logic is bad because he only uses it isolated. The people who beat/lost to the people you beat/lost to definitely matters a lot. It's the only thing that can really differentiate how important one win or loss is compared to another.

And wins and losses are theoretically equal. How important one is compared to another depends entirely on the win/loss. The fact that fullmetal has beaten many other good players makes it really significant, whereas the people who I lost to didn't have a terrible string of losses or anything.

Also, I don't remember you beating fullmetal, lol.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion

this and this x 4,000,000,000.2 + ∞ + tax

EDIT:

dammnnnn good **** moo, really?

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Ok, so i've talked to karn and kevin and i'm a panelist now. First thing's first, this period of rankings is gonna be a joke no matter who is ranked because its basically gonna be all he said she said. If i remember correctly, Theo did pretty good in pools at Pound 5 so i can see him being ranked but i think Cam only entered ETD so what I would change is moving everyone up a spot with taking off cam and add josh somewhere between THO and Karn but either way without legit evidence, this period can't really be taken seriously. So TOs please step your **** up asap and because next period i don't wanna hear that bracket image corrupted bs and another thing is that with the turnout's we have for local tournaments and the amount of setups we have for melee there is definitely enuff time to do pools for seeding since seeding tournaments by PRs this period is just gonna be stupid. So once again TOs step your **** up and disqualify whoever is not playing matches and get it done so we can have some accuracy. Another thing imo one tournament is clearly not enough to rank someone period. It leaves the fluke factor which is another thing i was discussing with kevin. I feel as if a person wants to be ranked they need to show some type of consistency through that period and one tournament is clearly not gonna work with that. I also feel like if someone wants to be ranked and there is a 2 tournament requirement then either they will get their **** together and enter or surrender their chance of being ranked. Notably good players can be on a list to the side some where saying good players unranked due to inactivity or something like that. I got alot of ideas that i really really think can help the rankings and the community as a whole but once again TOs need to step it up and host more tournaments (i'm actually looking for a venue), make sure we get those bracket images for the next period and step up the local attendance/singles entries

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
i was just jokin... everyone throwin out random names and ****

EDIT:

haha yeah i still find it pretty funny that i showed up to one tournament this period and got 7th in the state.... the last rankings i was on with jigglypuff, i mean srsly

also, if any arbitrary **** is going to be prioritized i think it should be ATTENDANCE.. mad respect to those who make it to everything all the time

EDIT2:

ocean, yes it is

lord karn

Smash Master
hey sneak, kevin wants me to talk with you about the procedures we use and whatnot but I have to leave in a few minutes for class. I'll send you a pm about it later.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Inui logic is bad because he only uses it isolated. The people who beat/lost to the people you beat/lost to definitely matters a lot. It's the only thing that can really differentiate how important one win or loss is compared to another.

And wins and losses are theoretically equal. How important one is compared to another depends entirely on the win/loss. The fact that fullmetal has beaten many other good players makes it really significant, whereas the people who I lost to didn't have a terrible string of losses or anything.

Also, I don't remember you beating fullmetal, lol.
The reason you don't remember is because I never bragged about it.

I stand by my statement about inui logic. I think you're weighting that too much. It's one thing to say a win is a win, but once you say a win over a win over a win is a win over a win over a win, that leaves a lot more room for unwanted factors in your logic. I mean the BS factor is through the roof lol. By this I mean reasons for certain wins/losses taking place that most likely normally wouldn't (like why ali beat cyrain, for example)... It's one thing to let it slide for a single win/loss, which I agree with, but once you take it past that I think you're deviating from your goal. You should come together as a panel IMO and decide how important the win is for someone OOS. This is where having more panelists comes in handy (hopefully sneak will be in soon, I think yay would be a good panelist as well). And if you need more data, I'd suggest reconsidering the encouragement of or required MM idea.

I don't think wins and losses should be considered equal. If you lose to someone who isn't even close to being ranked, but you beat someone 2 spots above you, should it be cancelled out? I don't think so. A loss to an unranked player provides evidence of a drop in your consistency and overall tourney performance. A win against someone ranked a few spots above you shows that you played a good set. If you have more than one good win, that's a different story. I just have the mindset, 1 bad loss = some form of punishment, whereas 1 good win =/= immediate reward.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Same, but at the same time, a lot of people MM for less

would/should MMs for less than $5 count for nothing? (supposing they could be used to help rank people that is, I know a $3 between me and behr wouldn't mean anything)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
also, i think the best way to do the prs thing is to make it point-based where each ranked player has a score attached to them, unranked players have a certain score and unranked players who were once ranked have scores as well.

it'd make this whole fiasco not ever happen.

the only thing that should matter is results. everything else is an excuse for the result, be it sleep, sandbagging, drugs, or just plain inconsistency.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
also, i think the best way to do the prs thing is to make it point-based where each ranked player has a score attached to them, unranked players have a certain score and unranked players who were once ranked have scores as well.

the only thing that should matter is results. everything else is an excuse for the result, be it sleep, sandbagging, drugs, or just plain inconsistency.
I actually thought about that, but honestly if you want a point system we should probably start a legit circuit. Honestly the whole southern scene should start a circuit with smaller tournaments being the build up and getting points to get a better seed for the circuit ender

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
A loss to an unranked player provides evidence of a drop in your consistency and overall tourney performance. A win against someone ranked a few spots above you shows that you played a good set.
So much of this.

And hell yeah to Ryan being put on the panel. I get so tired of our PR's being a joke every session. I felt like he addressed pretty much every major concern. I think two tourney attendance should be necessary (and I think it used to be, what happened to that?).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think we updated prematurely. As the pure win loss records go, I should be off, as I already stated. Alex and Ali only performed well at one tournament. Ali gets put way up for beating OOS (Cyrain was tripping on something, hadn't slept in days and played Sheik btw; Druggedfox was sleep deprived as well and nowhere near his best, I won like 10 straight when I played him after the tourney and that's silly) and only entering one tournament.

I kinda feel like I got punished for attending tournaments again.

Did David or Theo enter other stuff this period?

And Chris, I'm not going to go into that. Thanks for the compliments.
We hadn't updated in forever.

And you agreed with us here?

Idk Karn was talking to me about PR placement again before he left so maybe we're re doing them lol.

Such a typical response.

Did you talk to Cyrain that day? He was seriously out of it.

And it's funny that you're johning for Dfox as to why he would lose to me, but invalidating it for why he would lose to Ali. He was sleep deprived before he ever got there and didn't play well all day.

I'm so sick of this community's attitude of always ignoring huge external factors like they don't massively effect people's game play.
Doesn't matter for PRs. In general it does though.

I actually had a huge convo with pp last night with ideas to fix almost all of the problems your talking about before you even posted this and your other post because it was pretty obvious with the way things are done the last two ranking periods i've witnessed these problems would arise. I'm gonna PM karn about being on the panel and if so we can definitely think of a way to fix it
We never settled on anything concrete?

So you beat:

Ali (Falcon vs Sheik looool who wasn't ranked and only attended 1 tourney)
Fullmetal (Marth vs Sheik looool and isn't NC)
Wife (Who was mad rusty and isn't NC)
And your roommate

And you had way worse losses than I had (losing to someone non-ranked who I 2-0'd). Yeah, that makes tons of sense that you're #8 and I'm not on it. /favoritism
Not favoritism because I'm sure those good wins outweigh one loss <.<

I'm just saying your only major win (Fullmetal, everybody else was unranked) was a hard character counter pick.

The part I don't like is: I 2-0'd Stingers and Mott, who you both lost to. That's two losses to two players, who aren't even ranked, which is two more losses to non-ranked players than I have, which should automatically put you beneath David or Theo, if not under me or Stingers. How is this not obvious?

EDIT: Thank you Chris for being the only person reading this thread who isn't blind. Notice how those two losses just got kinda swept under the rug? lmao
Fullmetal likes the sheik matchup. That's irrelevant anyway.

He has both really good and really bad data. The two players he lost to are close to being ranked while the ones he beat would probably be ranked if they were here. Definitely the wins outweigh the losses(I can explain this in different terms if you want).

I don't even care about being on, that's not the point.

I was just showing that the way we do PR's is total trash and that there is blatant favoritism going on. The fact that a panelist can lose to two people (who aren't ranked!) that I beat (I'm not even ranked!) can then be ranked above the two people I lost to makes NO sense.

And then Alex/Kevin will post things like "please post your questions/comments/concerns" and NOTHING ever comes of it. Bull****.
Except you haven't proven anything without a fair discussion first.

Have we not taken Sneak on in an attempt to get your opinions back here? Calm down.

Ok, so i've talked to karn and kevin and i'm a panelist now. First thing's first, this period of rankings is gonna be a joke no matter who is ranked because its basically gonna be all he said she said. If i remember correctly, Theo did pretty good in pools at Pound 5 so i can see him being ranked but i think Cam only entered ETD so what I would change is moving everyone up a spot with taking off cam and add josh somewhere between THO and Karn but either way without legit evidence, this period can't really be taken seriously. So TOs please step your **** up asap and because next period i don't wanna hear that bracket image corrupted bs and another thing is that with the turnout's we have for local tournaments and the amount of setups we have for melee there is definitely enuff time to do pools for seeding since seeding tournaments by PRs this period is just gonna be stupid. So once again TOs step your **** up and disqualify whoever is not playing matches and get it done so we can have some accuracy. Another thing imo one tournament is clearly not enough to rank someone period. It leaves the fluke factor which is another thing i was discussing with kevin. I feel as if a person wants to be ranked they need to show some type of consistency through that period and one tournament is clearly not gonna work with that. I also feel like if someone wants to be ranked and there is a 2 tournament requirement then either they will get their **** together and enter or surrender their chance of being ranked. Notably good players can be on a list to the side some where saying good players unranked due to inactivity or something like that. I got alot of ideas that i really really think can help the rankings and the community as a whole but once again TOs need to step it up and host more tournaments (i'm actually looking for a venue), make sure we get those bracket images for the next period and step up the local attendance/singles entries
Don't post things like this without going over it with all of us and all of us agreeing please. Some of these things we hadn't decided to implement as policies just yet I don't think. Hit me up on aim.

I guess it's about time I host again.
YES

The reason you don't remember is because I never bragged about it.

I stand by my statement about inui logic. I think you're weighting that too much. It's one thing to say a win is a win, but once you say a win over a win over a win is a win over a win over a win, that leaves a lot more room for unwanted factors in your logic. I mean the BS factor is through the roof lol. By this I mean reasons for certain wins/losses taking place that most likely normally wouldn't (like why ali beat cyrain, for example)... It's one thing to let it slide for a single win/loss, which I agree with, but once you take it past that I think you're deviating from your goal. You should come together as a panel IMO and decide how important the win is for someone OOS. This is where having more panelists comes in handy (hopefully sneak will be in soon, I think yay would be a good panelist as well). And if you need more data, I'd suggest reconsidering the encouragement of or required MM idea.

I don't think wins and losses should be considered equal. If you lose to someone who isn't even close to being ranked, but you beat someone 2 spots above you, should it be cancelled out? I don't think so. A loss to an unranked player provides evidence of a drop in your consistency and overall tourney performance. A win against someone ranked a few spots above you shows that you played a good set. If you have more than one good win, that's a different story. I just have the mindset, 1 bad loss = some form of punishment, whereas 1 good win =/= immediate reward.
Except it isn't going nearly as far as you're suggesting....

I said I wouldn't mind helping encourage MMs.....

We weigh the wins and losses as fairly as we can but it's situational in my opinion. Taking things as a lumped up case would probably piss others off anyway so we can't please everyone.
don't call it a comeback

saturday being off was a troll, mutha****az
LMAO <3

What's the panel's take on MM's and how they can affect the PRs?

Anyone can answer this question, panelist's, non panelist's, noodles, don't noodles
MMs count as sets.

Except that system is extremely difficult to set up and point values are arbitrary....

does tournament placement even mean anything anymore?

like are they taken into account?
we use set counts instead.

I actually thought about that, but honestly if you want a point system we should probably start a legit circuit. Honestly the whole southern scene should start a circuit with smaller tournaments being the build up and getting points to get a better seed for the circuit ender
I'd love a circuit!

Top Bottom