• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well josh where would you have put yourself? Above theo? Above david? If we are to use tourney experiences, I think your primary source of good data must have come from pound. And I don't rlly know what happened there for anyone.

if I undestand correctly you're not seeing pp first round. You're getting some wins and then ending up with him. That's part of being on the lower half of the prs I'd imagine. I don't see the seeding problem if you're losing to theo and THO in losers.

if this is the case, who is being unsupportive? We know you're good, and improving, and everything else. But friendlies aside, as odd as it seems, your tourney data doesn't appear to put you in the pr's.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I think we updated prematurely. As the pure win loss records go, I should be off, as I already stated. Alex and Ali only performed well at one tournament. Ali gets put way up for beating OOS (Cyrain was tripping on something, hadn't slept in days and played Sheik btw; Druggedfox was sleep deprived as well and nowhere near his best, I won like 10 straight when I played him after the tourney and that's silly) and only entering one tournament.

I kinda feel like I got punished for attending tournaments again.

Did David or Theo enter other stuff this period?

And Chris, I'm not going to go into that. Thanks for the compliments.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I dont think you should john for Dfox, or cyrain for that matter, when the 10 you won vs druggedfox happened hours after the tourney when he was even more sleep deprived then he would have been when he played ali.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I dont think you should john for Dfox, or cyrain for that matter, when the 10 you won vs druggedfox happened hours after the tourney when he was even more sleep deprived then he would have been when he played ali.
Such a typical response.

Did you talk to Cyrain that day? He was seriously out of it.

And it's funny that you're johning for Dfox as to why he would lose to me, but invalidating it for why he would lose to Ali. He was sleep deprived before he ever got there and didn't play well all day.

I'm so sick of this community's attitude of always ignoring huge external factors like they don't massively effect people's game play.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
then beat theo/david lol wow

wtf they're scrubs....

and if ur sick, go see a doctor

geez man, look out for urself

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Imo, external factors or not... In the end there's only one winner and one loser, that's all there is to it.

@PLUR, I'm at work and bored.. I'm looking through smashboards. =P

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I think we updated prematurely. As the pure win loss records go, I should be off, as I already stated. Alex and Ali only performed well at one tournament. Ali gets put way up for beating OOS (Cyrain was tripping on something, hadn't slept in days and played Sheik btw; Druggedfox was sleep deprived as well and nowhere near his best, I won like 10 straight when I played him after the tourney and that's silly) and only entering one tournament.

I kinda feel like I got punished for attending tournaments again.

Did David or Theo enter other stuff this period?

And Chris, I'm not going to go into that. Thanks for the compliments.
I actually had a huge convo with pp last night with ideas to fix almost all of the problems your talking about before you even posted this and your other post because it was pretty obvious with the way things are done the last two ranking periods i've witnessed these problems would arise. I'm gonna PM karn about being on the panel and if so we can definitely think of a way to fix it

lord karn

Smash Master
What tournaments were used? ETD and both G6's or just the last G6?

If it's both G6's, I 2-0'd Mott at G61, nervous or not. He beat you later.

Alex, who did you beat at the last G6? Who were your losses this period?

I wasn't given the opportunity to play anyone on our PR's in tourney aside from Kevin, Theo and David. Theo was a legit lost, David was an SD fest. Still losses. I didn't have any bad losses per se. It also sucks that I have to play Kevin (or M2K at the last G6) early in winner's every single local. It always makes me feel like **** and then I just go and immediately lose in Loser's. Super unfortunate. Just once I want to be seeded on the not stacked side of the bracket; or even put against people who can even count as big wins. How many more times do I have to beat EWB, DashDanceDan and Dr Pepper (no offense to any, random names) before I lose to Kevin and then have to play bummed out in Loser's immediately after? I know that's just tournaments, but it's super demoralizing.

As a side note, every time I play teams, I am on the same side of the bracket as Kevin's team, no matter what.

I had typed a big paragraph about my last times playing with all the people ranked under me but it's pointless. I don't want to be on the PR's in a state that doesn't support anything I do anyway.
It's both G6's and ETD.

I beat Ali, David, Wife and Fullmetal. I also had quite a few bad losses. If it wasn't for beating Fullmetal and Ali (who beat other good people) I definitely would not be on this ranking.

As a lower seed, you're almost guaranteed to fight Yay/Kevin/Twitch or something like that a few rounds into the tournament.

And yeah, Cyrain lost because he was high/sleepless. Ali wouldn't have beaten him if he was normal mode. However, none of that matters for the sake of PRs. PRs are only a representation of how well you did that period. It does not account for SDs, sandbagging, drugs, whatever.

The fact that we had so much oos this period made it really hard to make this accurate, because a side effect of that is NC plays NC less. This came into play a lot more with the last few spots. You, David, Stingers, and Theo all had very similar records. David came out slightly above because he beat me and you, which then dictated who came right after him.

Either way, it had been since November since we last updated, and that's quite a long time.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
It's both G6's and ETD.

I beat Ali, David, Wife and Fullmetal. I also had quite a few bad losses. If it wasn't for beating Fullmetal and Ali (who beat other good people) I definitely would not be on this ranking.

As a lower seed, you're almost guaranteed to fight Yay/Kevin/Twitch or something like that a few rounds into the tournament.

And yeah, Cyrain lost because he was high/sleepless. Ali wouldn't have beaten him if he was normal mode. However, none of that matters for the sake of PRs. PRs are only a representation of how well you did that period. It does not account for SDs, sandbagging, drugs, whatever.

The fact that we had so much oos this period made it really hard to make this accurate, because a side effect of that is NC plays NC less. This came into play a lot more with the last few spots. You, David, Stingers, and Theo all had very similar records. David came out slightly above because he beat me and you, which then dictated who came right after him.

Either way, it had been since November since we last updated, and that's quite a long time.
So you beat:

Ali (Falcon vs Sheik looool who wasn't ranked and only attended 1 tourney)
Fullmetal (Marth vs Sheik looool and isn't NC)
Wife (Who was mad rusty and isn't NC)
And your roommate

And you had way worse losses than I had (losing to someone non-ranked who I 2-0'd). Yeah, that makes tons of sense that you're #8 and I'm not on it. /favoritism

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
josh...why you mad?

it's pr's bro.

your best win right now this ranking is...mott. from what i can tell anyway.

it just wasn't your period.
All I did was restate what he said. With the losses he had, it doesn't even make sense that he's even on the PR's, much less above Theo or David. Losing to non-PR'd players should be a way bigger penalty than losing to PR'd players; it always is when I'm ranked!

Also, performing well at one tournament should not get you placed over people who perform consistently decent at three; especially if you only entered one tournament.

Also, I also 2-0'd Stingers too, who was PR'd last period JK, Lucas was right now that I went to doublecheck.

lord karn

Smash Master
Why does it matter if players are not from this state? Beating fullmetal is pretty big, he beats most of the other players in georgia. Again it doesn't ****ing matter what character I'm playing. I also beat Ali at the first g6, with fox vs his falco. And again, it doesn't ****ing matter. You beat mott and lost to david. Doesn't sound very good to me.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
who did karn lose to that seems so bad? mott? merc?

didn't ali do well at two tournaments? who did well at just one tourney and got ranked? theo?

hmm...i guess you should be above theo...but then the question becomes which matters more, overall records, or head to head. cause your wins over mott and stingers are good, but theo beat you soooo...hmm...

can we just make a "skilled, but not quite the right data" section and put Josh, Stingers, and mott there?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I lost to krox, stingers and mott. Beat fullmetal, david and wife.
I'm just saying your only major win (Fullmetal, everybody else was unranked) was a hard character counter pick.

The part I don't like is: I 2-0'd Stingers and Mott, who you both lost to. That's two losses to two players, who aren't even ranked, which is two more losses to non-ranked players than I have, which should automatically put you beneath David or Theo, if not under me or Stingers. How is this not obvious?

EDIT: Thank you Chris for being the only person reading this thread who isn't blind. Notice how those two losses just got kinda swept under the rug? lmao

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Such a typical response.

Did you talk to Cyrain that day? He was seriously out of it.

And it's funny that you're johning for Dfox as to why he would lose to me, but invalidating it for why he would lose to Ali. He was sleep deprived before he ever got there and didn't play well all day.

I'm so sick of this community's attitude of always ignoring huge external factors like they don't massively effect people's game play.
Lol, im just saying, just the johns so strong.

Yeah i did talk to cyrain that day and while his situation was mad unfortunate he lost to ali, plain and simple, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, theres one loser, and one winner as far as the PRs are concerned.

Thats just how it is.

and im not invalidating Dfox being tired being a reason he lost to ali at all.

lol im just saying maybe its unwise to john for him.

Im just trying to look out for you.

dont get me wrong, I think you should be ranked, im just saying.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i ain't worried bout ali.

i do however find it interesting that karn is considered above josh.

karn has better wins than josh. but certainly worse losses. beating fullmetal is cool i guess, but i think beating ali works more for karns advantage in the wins column. but losing to TWO people that josh beat...hmm...hmm...yeah idk about that.

oh well. the panel has spoken i guess. wins appear to be more important than losses...even if its to people that other contenders have beaten.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I keep telling you, Josh

you lost to David (iirc) and David lost to Alex

you lost to Theo, and Theo is ranked 10th

so you're not ranked

I personally can't see how you'd expect to be on here, if the only people you lost too were on the rankings, the higher and lower end.

Alex's wins were more notable than yours

bracket

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
i'm confused as to how like... wins vs oos are weighed in... apparently wayy more than losing to non-PR'd people in NC. **** how cocky are you NC?

i like sneak's ideas because this **** is soooooooo~∞~ooooooo arbitrary otherwise

@PLUR: quit being a *****.... stfu and play melee.... the boards =/= reality

and the boards deffffffffffff =/= melee

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I keep telling you, Josh

you lost to David (iirc) and David lost to Alex

you lost to Theo, and Theo is ranked 10th

so you're not ranked

I personally can't see how you'd expect to be on here, if the only people you lost too were on the rankings, the higher and lower end.

Alex's wins were more notable than yours

bracket
I don't even care about being on, that's not the point.

I was just showing that the way we do PR's is total trash and that there is blatant favoritism going on. The fact that a panelist can lose to two people (who aren't ranked!) that I beat (I'm not even ranked!) can then be ranked above the two people I lost to makes NO sense.

And then Alex/Kevin will post things like "please post your questions/comments/concerns" and NOTHING ever comes of it. Bull****.

lord karn

Smash Master
I'm just saying your only major win (Fullmetal, everybody else was unranked) was a hard character counter pick.

The part I don't like is: I 2-0'd Stingers and Mott, who you both lost to. That's two losses to two players, who aren't even ranked, which is two more losses to non-ranked players than I have, which should automatically put you beneath David or Theo, if not under me or Stingers. How is this not obvious?
It's not as simple as that. It's not just how many PR and non-PR players you beat or lost to. You have to look at all players records simultaneously.

I beat Ali (who beat Cyrain, Druggedfox, and someone who I don't remember right now).
I beat Fullmetal (who beat Rayku and several other GA players in GA the previous weekend, as well as several other NC PR players between the G6's)
I beat David (Who beat me and you)
I beat Wife (don't remember who else he beat)

I lost to Krox (unranked player, don't remember if he beat anyone else)
I lost to Stingers (lost to you, beat KP)
I lost to Mott (who beat Sleepy, lost to you)
I lost to David (who beat you)

The things working for me are the fact that I beat someone who beat many other players in NC as well as other OOS ranked players (Fullmetal) and I beat Ali who beat Cyrain (9th at Pound) and Druggedfox (2nd at a big GA tournament the weekend before).

The thing I have working most against me is my loss to Krox, who has no other notable wins and Stingers. My loss to Mott isn't that bad, since he also beat Sleepy (who beat twitch). It helps you more than it hurts me.

Your situation is that you have two decent wins, and a loss to David (again, how close it was does not matter) and Theo (who has no other notable wins). You beat Mott and Stingers, both players I lost to, but you didn't beat anyone that good. As far as the records go this period, your loss to Theo is pretty bad, since he beat no one else good this period. The reason he was above you is because he has one decent win (you) and absolutely no bad losses. As I said in a previous post, we might have overlooked your beating Mott when making the rankings. This would potentially put you at 10 instead of Theo, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't push you above me. I've been trying to get up with Kevin on AIM since I made that post, but I haven't been able to.

One thing that is important is that each result is not necessarily equal. Me beating fullmetal is a very big win, because he also beat a lot of other really good people. You're right, I beat him with a character with a really big advantage, but that doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to defend that I'm the '8th best player in the state,' or even that I'm better than you, only that I have the 8th best set-count record in the state for this ranking period. Power rankings only describe how well you did vs others during a certain period. They do not describe skill, although there is an obvious correlation. The correlation becomes weaker as you get to the last few spots on the power rankings, because there is less data.

It really annoys me that everyone always accuses me of biasing the rankings in my favor. I don't really care where I am on the powerrankings, because I know it doesn't always correlate with skill. In fact, I figured I wouldn't be on the powerrankings at all until I beat Fullmetal. It's especially annoying when no one even considers which other players Fullmetal and Ali beat before jumping to conclusions. . .

Top Bottom