• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! (Updated 2/11/10!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

null55

Smash Master
how many tournaments have occurred since the last update? just Asheboro, Pound 4, and Duke?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Relevant tournaments being Asheboro and Duke, yes.

I'd like to wait until the tournament after Stongers' thing(unless his gets a bad turnout) to update, since I feel like we are getting to the point where less updates are necessary(placings are becoming more consistent).

Actually, there have been a few recent upsets, so maybe I'll see what the panel wants to about updating after Stongers' tournament. Since Foxy(due to East NC being gay) probably won't drive out there that weekend, then we can start his chances for being on the PRs anew with the next ranking period.

Hmmm....I'm probably going to AIM each of the panelists today or tomorrow if I can to figure it out.

null55

Smash Master
****, idk if i can make it to Hickory. i'll try to go though.

anyway when i was making a fuss about pictures last time, i was talking about the ones from the 6/09 update. those are definitely the most bad***.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't know what is going on with those crazy hackers these days.

I guess it couldn't hurt to see where this goes. I'm very wary of this after B+ though.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I still don't see that taking off, just as I never saw Brawl+ taking off, and it never really has.

It's like playing Kaizo Mario (I think that's what it's called). Sure, some of them ARE better than Super Mario World, but it's not what the original developers intended, nor can it be acquired by normal circumstance. Something more needs to be done to gain it. It just don't feel right to play an edited version of a game made possible by the fans. Reminds me of Garry's Mod. So much potential in that one, still.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I understand that, BUT, I don't see it taking off. I mean, I can see a few small events here and there for the mod, but nothing as widespread as Brawl or melee.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
imo, it doesnt HAVE to be competitive. from the outset, for me, it looks like it will be more fun to play than b+, cuz b+ was just made to be a better brawl. PM looks like it is deliberately trying to make a whole new game that resembles melee in every way possible. Considering the fact that melee cant be remade, PM looks to be a whole new and fun game. competitive? doubtful since balancing usually takes ages to do for real fighting games

stingers

Smash Obsessed
there's a project m thread on melee discussion thats only a few pages and was a good read...basically they explain that this is like a pre-alpha version and they're still working on making it look smoother, also they explain all the crazy stuff they can already do and some things they're having trouble with (iirc crouch cancelling they're having a hard time figuring out how to put in)

but it does look fun

lord karn

Smash Master
I think it looks really fun.

Also, not playing a game simply because it was made by fans seems silly. I mean, people who make games are fans of something beforehand. . . The quality of the game is really the only thing that should matter.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I wouldn't be playing games like Cave Story and La mulana if I had issues with people other than paid developers producing the content. The two games I mentioned are both freeware, and were built from the ground up by a single person (one for each game). Those games are an amazing achievement for one person to gain, and I can vouch the two being two good games.

It just irks me to play an edited version of a game already out. Pet peeve, I guess. I mean, we bought the game, so whatever is done to it is up to us, right?

What I really want to see is a brand new game using Brawl's engine. Not an edited game. New characters, movesets, abilities, items. That's what I wanna see.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
imo, it doesnt HAVE to be competitive. from the outset, for me, it looks like it will be more fun to play than b+, cuz b+ was just made to be a better brawl. PM looks like it is deliberately trying to make a whole new game that resembles melee in every way possible. Considering the fact that melee cant be remade, PM looks to be a whole new and fun game. competitive? doubtful since balancing usually takes ages to do for real fighting games
Brawl+ is so different from Brawl and Melee that it really does deserve to stand on it's own. The number of people who participated in the side event at Pound should evidence it's growing popularity, especially since the game is near approaching a final build.

"A whole new game that resembles Melee in every way possible." SOOOOO... they're making Melee. Doesn't seem possible that "Melee can't be remade" if you admit that the game is made entirely in it's image. How is it even close to impossible to remake if you know all of the variables, constants, and character properties in Melee... just transport them and bam, Melee with better graphics. Once model hacking becomes possible, even the sizes and shapes of the characters can be modified to match the previous game.

Clearly balancing has nothing to do with the competitiveness of a game, since Melee itself isn't even close to balanced. There exist something on the order of a handful of actually competitively viable characters. Maybe the S and half of the A tier are balanced amongst themselves, but the game is not.

This Melee version of Brawl will at least give the people who are developing it a shot to even the playing field with the previously unusable characters.

EDIT: I am aware that the likelihood of the developers of the game actually properly balancing this game without things getting out of hand is slim to none.

$mike

Smash Ace
I won't be going to 99% Melee, and I'll be in NYC during the Burlington tournament. Hopefully there will be something good to go to before herb3.

$mike

Smash Ace
PP, I'm under the impression it'll have a meh attendance and I was just at a tournament anyway.

I might go to that Duke then, Rome. We'll see.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP, I'm under the impression it'll have a meh attendance and I was just at a tournament anyway.

I might go to that Duke then, Rome. We'll see.
You're an inspiration to the scene and have a wonderful outlook on the situation. I strive to emulate your wise decisions every moment of my life.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Brawl+ is so different from Brawl and Melee that it really does deserve to stand on it's own. The number of people who participated in the side event at Pound should evidence it's growing popularity, especially since the game is near approaching a final build.

"A whole new game that resembles Melee in every way possible." SOOOOO... they're making Melee. Doesn't seem possible that "Melee can't be remade" if you admit that the game is made entirely in it's image. How is it even close to impossible to remake if you know all of the variables, constants, and character properties in Melee... just transport them and bam, Melee with better graphics. Once model hacking becomes possible, even the sizes and shapes of the characters can be modified to match the previous game.

Clearly balancing has nothing to do with the competitiveness of a game, since Melee itself isn't even close to balanced. There exist something on the order of a handful of actually competitively viable characters. Maybe the S and half of the A tier are balanced amongst themselves, but the game is not.

This Melee version of Brawl will at least give the people who are developing it a shot to even the playing field with the previously unusable characters.

EDIT: I am aware that the likelihood of the developers of the game actually properly balancing this game without things getting out of hand is slim to none.
popularity is good, but i could care less. i built my argument solely on personal opinion; nevertheless, brawl is more popular than brawl+. throw in that most of the brawl community is mostly little brats and i pretty much throw in the towel for giving a crap about this game's following.

By saying "in every way possible," i meant in every way that it is possible for the team of developers. By glancing at the video, it looks like they are trying to straight up rip off of melee rather than simply (or not so simply; props to karn for being a part of the b+ project) improve brawl. Moreover, by saying that "melee cant be remade," i was implying that the direction that the PM people take in trying to "recreate" melee is that of a totally new game with which I hope they can be pleased.

As for what you said about balancing, I honestly cant tell if ur being sarcastic or not, given that melee is extremely balanced and that the greatest competitive games (the hands down best being starcraft) thrive on maintaining a longevity of balance throughout its changes in metagame.

The problem here could be a disconnect in definitions: if you define balance as "every character is equally viable in tournament, along with every stage, item, and any other game specific aspects,"then you should stop dreaming. NO game is perfectly balanced in that respect. Its commendable of the game designers (whether intentional or not) to have created games with a healthy number of characters who can be used in tournament throughout many years of evolution with a modicum of balance much more being near perfectly balanced (again, as is starcraft).

Inversely, it is not, imho, commendable to have one or two extremely imbalanced characters that effectively break the game in many people' opinions (not that i support or dont support them).

in summation, I think u just misunderstood some nit-picky stuff about what i said, but i needed to wall-of-text to clear up any outlying misgivings

null55

Smash Master
lol Kevin, Mike doesn't give a ****. nor about any of you. that's what makes him and SS the greatest Falcon mains of all time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom