• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Brawl Power Rankings! (Update 11/08!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I think Shady Penguin and Keith should be ranked #1 and #2 respectively.

Sushi-Man, I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but "Terroist and a Thief" is one of the greatest doubles teams of all time. OF ALL TIME.

DJRome

Smash Hero
pp, i'm not trying to replace the prs.
1. i like making systems in matlab; they're fun to make
2. i'd like my own way of evaluating how good people are
3. lol, ur just lol

come on now. how is 24% different than 25%. those won't and should change the outcome of my run through.

and phoot, idk what you mean by ur post. are you saying the competition at each event should be weighted equally despite day of tournament? to some extent i'd agree, but i haven't hashed out the details yet so i'm not sure

pp, idk why you're so opposed to having a sort of objective way to look at things. it's not as if it makes your prs any less "official" if such a word can be used. i think you're just too far up to see the usefulness from down here.

in any case, placings are probably more important in this system. which is why i'm instituting a weighting system in the tourneys. this will take the place of set counts because there is pretty much no way, esp in smaller tournaments to get to a high placings where the rankings are of any significance without going through a challenging path.

i also don't know why you are opposed to criticism. is it that hard to take? people have a voice in any medium and i don't see why you think people in any form should be censored. if the prs aren't properly reflected, why should people not voice their opinions? in the same way maybe criticism of play by the prs should reinforce good play and motivation, criticism offers that same motivation to provide an accurate pr.

the whole point of extending pr periods accomplishes the same thing as when i include a diminishing effect of the past tournaments/rankings. most likely, a ranking will be evaluated at the end of each tourney and each ranking will lose 10% as each new tournament goes on. I think that's plenty fair

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
lol, everyone as of late is beating me, its not an accomplishment anymore :(
nahhh, dont be modest, i heard ur are pretty good, beating ally and what not. As a snake main i am intrigued and might want to get a few wifi friendlies with ya myself.

lord karn

Smash Master
pp, i'm not trying to replace the prs.
1. i like making systems in matlab; they're fun to make
2. i'd like my own way of evaluating how good people are
3. lol, ur just lol

come on now. how is 24% different than 25%. those won't and should change the outcome of my run through.

and phoot, idk what you mean by ur post. are you saying the competition at each event should be weighted equally despite day of tournament? to some extent i'd agree, but i haven't hashed out the details yet so i'm not sure

pp, idk why you're so opposed to having a sort of objective way to look at things. it's not as if it makes your prs any less "official" if such a word can be used. i think you're just too far up to see the usefulness from down here.

in any case, placings are probably more important in this system. which is why i'm instituting a weighting system in the tourneys. this will take the place of set counts because there is pretty much no way, esp in smaller tournaments to get to a high placings where the rankings are of any significance without going through a challenging path.

i also don't know why you are opposed to criticism. is it that hard to take? people have a voice in any medium and i don't see why you think people in any form should be censored. if the prs aren't properly reflected, why should people not voice their opinions? in the same way maybe criticism of play by the prs should reinforce good play and motivation, criticism offers that same motivation to provide an accurate pr.

the whole point of extending pr periods accomplishes the same thing as when i include a diminishing effect of the past tournaments/rankings. most likely, a ranking will be evaluated at the end of each tourney and each ranking will lose 10% as each new tournament goes on. I think that's plenty fair
But even in a small tournament set counts will give you good data. . . It's also a lot more exact.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that from a theoretical point of view, there's no reason the system David suggested not to be used to create an objective list if it only takes into account outcome. Venue, as I was using it, meant whatever sport the outcomes came from. I wanted it to be as general as possible, since sports aren't the only form of competition this can apply to.

Jon?

Smash Champion
These didn't get updated cause Bill was playing B+ with the NCSU crew all night long, lol.

Edit: Pit and Ness are broken. Inb4 Jiggs

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
inb4 inb4 Kirby. Lulz at Gonzo combo being an actually combo that on heavies can lead into a regrab into Hammer again. Dunno if that's been fixed yet, been forever since I played. Forever being like a week. I miss NCSU...

Bthrow into Dair>Footstool>Dair>Footstool death combo at 0->mid percentage reasonably close to the ledge.

DUB

Smash Lord
inb4 inb4 Kirby. Lulz at Gonzo combo being an actually combo that on heavies can lead into a regrab into Hammer again. Dunno if that's been fixed yet, been forever since I played. Forever being like a week. I miss NCSU...

Bthrow into Dair>Footstool>Dair>Footstool death combo at 0->mid percentage reasonably close to the ledge.

footstools >.>

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Yes, there could be a 'backbone' to PR decisions as THO said, then + the panel's discretion to root out any discrepancies.

The value of the numbers don't matter... only their value in relation to each other.

Anyway, there's various sets of formulas that would give a proper template for the panel to go by initially that actually take many key factors into consideration when creating a decent 'backbone' for the PRs.

Personally, I know of 2 methods that would work fine as well that haven't been mentioned yet, although possessing a few similar components to those mentioned already. Coming up with these systems isn't some long, vigorous process by any means like some put it up to be lol..

I don't know though..... I just don't understand fully why a mathematical system is even needed for brawl PR's (isn't it obvious who the best players are in the state anyway, as long as you have brackets(POST BRACKETS....)) and I also don't understand why some are so against having a system like this. The argument 'the process of making PRs is simple' could be used for either side at this point and the reasoning is getting a little moot...

I think the reason why people want a mathematical system is because the panel isn't 100% error proof. The panel may argue 'the possible errors made are very miniscule, why could that be reasoning for making such a system?' BUT... I don't think people are trying to discredit the panel, at all. Or at least I never have. I just know that it's a certainty that if one of these aforementioned systems(aforementioned in my post, not this thread) were used: less mistakes would happen, and even if there haven't been any mistakes, it would make less mistakes happen in the future. At this point, if I were a panelist, I would consider adopting it just so you wouldn't have to hear people talk about it anymore, lol.

As I said I don't think it's really necessary though. I just think every one should be a little more open-minded.

Duo55

Smash Ace
Who cares? Modern Warfare comes out in 2 more days.
Wow, how could I have forgoten? I can't wait. What systems are you guys gonna be on? I'm on X-box 360, We should party up if anyone else plays 360. I'm actualy almost as good at CoD as I am at smash.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i do not play call of duty

i like fps but i am bad at them

also i'm banned from xbox live

just update the brawl prs after billfest @.@

Jon?

Smash Champion
I'll be getting it for PC and Xbox. I'll be playing Xbox whenever SOS and Flamy wanna get owned.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
killer i was about to call you stupid for saying billfest doesnt count then i remembered mk is banned

ugh

x.x

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
billfest should still count for brawl... shouldn't the panel just omit all possibly MK-related sets? even people that only counter-pick him as a last resort. Just factor in that the match could have been different if MK had been used. At least half of the bracket should be viable data, and the panel could use their noggins with the rest as to whether or not it's usable..right?

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
no that's not how it works, to my knowledge. A formula is being used even if it isn't set in stone or acknowledged. The rankings are made from raw tournament data, and I was just saying that there's plenty of data that can be used at billfest that won't involve mk whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom