• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Brawl Power Rankings! (Update 11/08!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
yo foxy thnx for the compliment bro,i think everyone did well at the tourney, hopefully i can make it to plurs next one, and we can all have a blast

Flamingo

Smash Lord
My piece on why doubles is superior to singles.

It's not like the placements for doubles are all that different from the actual PR's themselves. I definately think that doubles is equally as skilled as singles, if not moreso, saving teammates, healing/bucketing them up, using Sticky C4 tactics... etc. the game becomes more deep, hence is why I believe that doubles is potentially a more competitive form of Brawl in general, look at Halo for example... you see pro matches in two squads of 4 people usually, Call of Duty... anywhere from 2 to 6 people (gamebattles, think pro circuit is 4v4..) Different Genre: World of Warcraft (I don't play this BTW) but from what people tell me, in Arena you 2v2 people and must heal eachother and watch eachother's back, team up, (stock) TANK etc. Another game... not with two separate people, but in Marvel vs. capcom, you use a combination of multiple characters in a series of 1v1s. Overall, strategy, requirement for precision, synchronicity, and all else seems to be exponential and more fun in team-based games. Feel free to add to my list of games. Oh btw Starcraft 2v2 and 4v4 will forever be more fun than singles.

You just don't see that many 1v1 games being that competitive, I think street fighters and other 2Ds has set the stereotype for smash, and may even be what gives Smash it's playerbase composed of those players of other fighters.

--->Lol PP's worst nightmare would be organizing and determining Doubles PR's XD

NINJA EDIT: BTW YOU WONT GET ANY FREAKIN LDPK VS ZERO GAMER CAMPFESTS IN DOUBLES, USUALLY THERE IS A SUFFICIENT LEAD, OR AT LEAST A 2v1 AT THE END. GG.

:mad::mad::mad:DOUBLES=LESS SCRUB:mad::mad::mad:

And CP's/Matchups matter LESS!

/rant

Foxy

Smash Master
The point is that whether or not player skill and doubles results go hand in hand, the two events are far, far different in terms of actual play and the entire concept. Not simply because someone can be carried, but the fact that two decent players with strong coordination and knowledge of teams can beat a team of two great players.

Doubles placings and singles power rankings should correlate quite a bit, that just makes sense. But you cannot use one to determine the other.

The most important thing is that singles power rankings are solely used to represent the probable placement of the regional players in a theoretical current tournament. In SINGLES. It's not about ranking player skill - and for the factors of it that are, it's one-on-one, how well that players handles the concentration, precision, playstyles, and matchups in the singles environment.

tl;dr - They correlate but doubles placings have almost nothing to do with the goal of the power rankings.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I respect what you guys are doing with the PR's and everything else. I just thought that killer being one above me after yesterday didn't add up.
I actually read all your posts.

I can't belive you care this much about one stupid spot on the PR. Sure you beat me in doubles but I was playing MK lol... I never play him and the last game we were messing around with double Olimar...

Seriously dude I enjoy the game but at that point in time I didn't really care who won. I was sick and tired of listening to Bill raging about everything and I was impressed with Trey's MK skills. He outplayed me for sure.

You have never played in my Brawl singles to my knowlage in a tourney. I could be wrong but I think the only tourney you outplaced me at was HERB.

Also its not my fault you smoked a bowl before you played. Thats like stabbing yourself in the leg before a soccer match. Not really the best idea.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Also its not my fault you smoked a bowl before you played. Thats like stabbing yourself in the leg before a soccer match. Not really the best idea.
I lol'ed. But srsly he cares more about doubles. Maybe he smoked the bowl to allieve his knife wound in the leg. xD

I think Killer is right though, in consistent placements, although I think doubles should boost his ranking a bit, especially being seeded not to be in top3 and winning. (not boosting my rank, i'll work up from 10, it's what Killer had to do)

PLUR, 1st round at ur tourney. Set up Rag vs. KillerSOS. Settle the score. Killer can use Olimar, not MK. Do it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
OH **** Jim you know those red/yellow/white cords and stuff

well we use one of those that has a red at both ends (you get what I mean there right) for our video recording and it doesn't work anymore. If you have any at your house, bring it over next time you come.

Dusk-EX

Smash Cadet
Look, if you want 3 Olimars on the PR's follow these 3 steps:

1. Grab $ack

2. Turn head and cough

3. Keep watchin' the rankings to witness my WARPATH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
We were about to leave so we decided to smoke. Gauvn came out to my car to get me and tell me we had a match. I would have had to forfeit that match anyway because we had to leave. /johns

If you never play mk why did you use him for most of our matches? You guys weren't messing around, Bill was raging. I placed higher than you at both tournaments that plur has hosted and herb, that's 3 out of the 4 tournaments that we both attended before this one. Who did you play at herb? I like how you mentioned something about how everyone was playing in grand finals except me.

I guess these should be called the brawl singles power rankings if doubles has absolutely nothing to do with them. I've always thought they were based on overall skill, I guess I was mistaken.:ohwell:

I did lol at the soccer simile. So basically you're saying I was playing while handicapped.:laugh:

lol PP and l0zR

lord karn

Smash Master
I agree that they should be called brawl singles power rankings. The only reason they are not is because other power rankings are not, and other power rankings also do not include doubles. I'm up for starting the trend.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
this whole thing is kind of ridiculous...

southern pines rages in teams....that is all we ever play

seth and i have no business on the brawl pr's, yet we teamed together and got 4th
and the matches we did lose against men in blue and killer bill were hella close, in teams i felt like we were on their level...

if anyone watched me play against killerSOS in The Crew Battle then they can see how bad i play in singles and why i have no business on the pr's...

@PP-i told you these things would promote competition....everybody is getting gnar

and i should be included in the melee convert list along with killer, flamy, and dub...i was planning on entering the melee bracket but everyone's tech skill is too intimidating. good thing sheik doesn't require too much tech skill :)

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i agree, its sparks comp, but it should never be the bad comp, its cool to see how the poles shift and how gets tossed out and thrown in. If your in the top ten at all, everyone already knows ur good, so if u get kicked out, theirs a high chance ull just come back in

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i agree, its sparks comp, but it should never be the bad comp, its cool to see how the poles shift and how people get tossed out and thrown in. If your in the top ten at all, everyone already knows ur good, so if u get kicked out, theirs a high chance ull just come back in

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
PP, Alex and I just spend over an hour on the phone, analyzing every spot on the Power Rankings. PP will update the first post tonight or tomorrow. We were, I believe, completely unbiased so I hope people will be satisfied.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Wait... so you are changing it because people complained?

At least stand firm on your decision.

but I still don't really care.... lol
Nothing is being changed because anyone complained. If anything is changing, and I can't say that anything is or speak about anyones particular placement, it is only because we discussed the issue more heavily decided that certain players should be moved.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i agree, its sparks comp, but it should never be the bad comp, its cool to see how the poles shift and how people get tossed out and thrown in. If your in the top ten at all, everyone already knows ur good, so if u get kicked out, theirs a high chance ull just come back in

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
i agree, its sparks comp, but it should never be the bad comp, its cool to see how the poles shift and how gets tossed out and thrown in. If your in the top ten at all, everyone already knows ur good, so if u get kicked out, theirs a high chance ull just come back in
word, i agree with the middle post only

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero

I am Seth

Smash Lord
SP or Boone where all we smoke is christmas trees.
Who remembers that time at herb in our hotel room where I was playing against Killer in singles and DUB was playing against Bill in singles? Who were the ones winning over and over again?
iP
haha, i was the only other guy there. after witnessing what happened i'm sure if killer went olimar and rag went dk and met in tourny, Rag would rude all over that slutt.

I am Seth

Smash Lord
SP or Boone where all we smoke is christmas trees.
and i'm glad me trying so freaking hard in doubles will probably mean nothing now. i just got done playing some crucial doubles and now i want to start singles at 1 in the morning? i almost don't even care because i'm getting deprived of sleep. i just can't walk into my parents house at 5 in the morning. and apparently singles is what matters? come on...

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I agree it is hard to play your best at 1am. I wasn't keeping track... When did Brawl Singles start?

Btw Seth, I wanna help your MK at PLUR's, or whenever the next time we play is. I like your style xD

Also, would people agree that melee people are probably more dedicated due to being members of the game longer? Idk, but maybe Brawl should be hosted first. The hardcore meleers shouldn't mind staying up later. I could be wrong.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Melee people feel threatened that their favorite game is dieing out to one they think is inferior. I don't mind melee being first but if it is at least make it start earlier. If not then do brawl first.

It's late, goodnight everyone. happy 4/20:bandit:

Foxy

Smash Master
Unfortunately Melee has more difficulty getting a large amount of entrants, and it can't really afford to take the losses it would receive from starting really late. I, for one, would be unable to attend it that way, and I'm sure others would be the same.

Brawl, as much as people would like to play it earlier, has enough popularity that it can be run late and still have a nice amount of entrants.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
Unfortunately Melee has more difficulty getting a large amount of entrants, and it can't really afford to take the losses it would receive from starting really late. I, for one, would be unable to attend it that way, and I'm sure others would be the same.

Brawl, as much as people would like to play it earlier, has enough popularity that it can be run late and still have a nice amount of entrants.
Reread what you just posted.

Does that really seem fair to most people?

You could argue the other way saying that most melee players are older and therfore can stay out later.

Your argument is not only invalid. Its cruel.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I see what Malk did there.

Dunno if it was posted yet, but there is a change in the PRs that the panel deemed necessary at the reconvention last night.

I'm glad you guys don't think winning money and ordinary respect from your peers is good enough in doubles. Do it in singles too.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Zero over Stingers.

Edit: you guys.....I must be on the ignore list of everyone arguing for doubles or they would've read what I've posted on this subject. This is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom