• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Brawl Power Rankings! (Update 11/08!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEHR

Smash Hero
You guys need to help me pick up a character that is not gay.

I will not play.

MK
Snake
D3
Lucario
Link
Toon Link
Zamus
Lucas
DK
GW
Ganon
Falco
Fox
Wolf
PT
Ike
Kirby.
Olimar
Peach
Pit
ROB

Whats that leave? D:

lord karn

Smash Master
Wario is a man. DK is too. Why no DK?

I agree that doubles is more fun. However, the power rankings are only meant to judge singles skill, and doubles is not always an accurate reading of that.

BEHR

Smash Hero

I agree that doubles is more fun. However, the power rankings are only meant to judge singles skill, and doubles is not always an accurate reading of that.
DK is not as goofy any more.

He is straight up Bisness.

I can try Wario again.

Flamingo

Smash Lord

Just saying, do you not think a measure of skill is not diminished with tiredness/sleepyness and also with people who can't stay out all hours of the night. If we played singles first, we would have a more accurate depiction of singles skill, unless dealing with the tiredness is involved in the 'skill' part. Making singles happen first would probably destroy doubles attendance, which is a good counter-argument to my point.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Melee Doubles/Singles -> Brawl Doubles/Singles seriously does not work

The tournaments always run until way too late. Something seriously needs to be done.

Sorry to say this because I really don't like it either but I think having the next Billfest be Brawl only would be preferable to what's been happening lately. We always have Foxy's stuff for Melee only, and Billfests should not be running till 2 in the morning every **** time. It's insane.

lord karn

Smash Master
Just saying, do you not think a measure of skill is not diminished with tiredness/sleepyness and also with people who can't stay out all hours of the night. If we played singles first, we would have a more accurate depiction of singles skill, unless dealing with the tiredness is involved in the 'skill' part. Making singles happen first would probably destroy doubles attendance, which is a good counter-argument to my point.
I agree, running late affects performance. However, one of the things that tournaments judge is ability to stay on your game for an extended period of time. It's unfortunate that it runs late, but being able to retain your composure is definitely a skill.

I'd opt for doubles first just because it's my favorite and I don't want the attendance to be hurt.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Stingers: Then how will we get reliable Melee only tournaments? Let's face it, there aren't quite enough melee players in NC to get an incentive to drive for hours to smash for a sub-par pot. At least some Brawl players will enter Melee to kill time/sweeten the pot if both events are in the same place.

Why does reversing the exact same process change anything?

@Flamingo: There are too many uncertain variables to consider in teams. Further, too much depends on having a constant teammate and opponents and those variables alone are impossible to guarantee.@

stingers

Smash Obsessed
PP you can't honestly tell me you prefer running both events but having to play until 3 AM is preferable to a Brawl-only billfest.

It's not like there won't be Melee friendlies. And just rotate the events for each "weekly". Do one melee only, then one brawl only, then one melee only...etc

lord karn

Smash Master
PP you can't honestly tell me you prefer running both events but having to play until 3 AM is preferable to a Brawl-only billfest.

It's not like there won't be Melee friendlies. And just rotate the events for each "weekly". Do one melee only, then one brawl only, then one melee only...etc
I prefer playing until 3 AM if it means both games get in . . .

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I dislike that idea because, regardless of ending time, it keeps good players in their respective game to give the other one a chance.

I suppose, since everyone prefers comfort to tolerance, that it might be better if Bill did do that. Seriously though, who are we to decide what the TOs of a very popular NC tourney do?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure you do Karn but AFAIK most people don't. Especially the would-be competitors that have to run on a strict schedule and have to leave before they can finish their matches.

Considering the declining attendance of Melee anyway, I don't see how this is a bad thing. First off the SC scene is almost dying because they won't come to billfests due to extreme disorganization and they don't have enough people to support themselves, and more and more people in NC are starting to get fed up with it too.

I love Melee, it's what got me into the scene and I wouldn't be here today for it, but we just need to move on. Melee/Brawl tournaments starting at Noon and ending at 3 AM just aren't an acceptable way to run things.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So, to make sure Melee dies and we "move on" you wanna just make sure we separate Melee from its only hope of survival here, the Brawl players? Props for that.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I've seen Evangelion and Eureka 7. I only watch stuff on adult swim <_<

I basically stopped watching anime too so eh

lord karn

Smash Master
The community that having both games brings in is more important to me than being on time. If being on time means we have to drop melee, I don't even really want to run them . . .

stingers

Smash Obsessed
PP Foxy's Bromonthlys recieve decent attendance while not supporting Brawl at all (well, Brawl+, but you don't see any Brawl only people attending just for that). Melee tournaments are currently sustaining themselves fine, and tbqh I don't see many Brawl players switching over to Melee at all. Looking at the Melee results here, all I see are Flamingo and Killer.

I'm sure that if we really stuck with it and forced Melee upon Brawl only players it'd catch on, maybe. But after a year of declining Melee attendance and Rising Brawl attendance, I think you need to learn when it's preferable to drop one event in the name of another. I'm not saying we have to forget about Melee, I'm saying that Billfest has to stop running Melee events and Brawl events on the same day. It just doesn't work.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Guess what? Support doesn't come overnight, it takes a while. We got Dub interested a while back, and just now have seen attendance from Flamingo and Killer. Keeping this together is such a convenience that keeping the community together and getting both groups of people to play both games that they might not play otherwise is far greater than having some complaints about not playing perfectly at 3 AM (I'm sorry for that though, don't get me wrong).

Meh, whatever.

No.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
It's been a year, PP. A year of Brawl has led to 3 Brawl only players picking up Melee. Dub doesn't even compete in Melee tournaments.

I'm not sure what you're hoping for but it's not happening.

lord karn

Smash Master
I've been satisfied with all of the billfests too far. If people want it to run on time, bring more tvs and set ups. We even had a couple of tvs that had no setups for all of melee. If you really want things to run on time, bring more set ups.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
And I don't know why you're against running Brawl before Melee, seeing as how Melee is the less important event there is no reason to run it first.

Hell, 90% of the Brawl people arrive when Melee is over or almost over, maybe if you run Melee after you finally will get some people interested in Melee.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm hoping for keeping a community together. How much Melee vs Brawl have we really had since we got regular Billfests? Hardly any. It's due, IN PART, to having an environment to appreciate the finer points of both games.

Besides, 3 people is a start. We aren't necessarily a massive smash state, so anything and everything we get is openly accepted. Attempting to diminish the fact that Melee did garner the interest of a few smashers who originally joined for Brawl is kinda sad, and demonstrates how much you're willing to sacrifice for what you want instead of what's good for everyone.

And haha no, most Brawl players leave after they get knocked out (mostly referring to non-smashboarders here). Those who come early for Brawl friendlies to warm up have a better shot at seeing Melee.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
There are tournaments that run Melee/Brawl, like PLUR and Jubilee and HERB.
There are tournaments that run Melee only, like Foxy's (lol b+)
There are no tournaments that run Brawl only.

The community is not going to disintegrate because (some) Billfests are running Brawl only.

What we're seeing is that as more people start coming to these tournaments, we have to stay up later and later before we actually finish the tournament. However, when more people are coming to these tournaments, they are not coming for Melee. Melee attendance is stable and fluctuates very little, if at all. The same people are coming to Melee because, primarily, Brawl players are NOT being exposed to Melee at all due to the fact they DO all come after Melee is almost over or has ended. You've been to numerous Billfests, don't tell me you can't tell a difference in the amount of people during Melee and during Brawl.

And I'm sure most Brawlers leave after they're knocked out because they get knocked out at 11 PM because Brawl doesn't start until 8. Most people can't stay all night.

If you won't run Brawl only billfests, at least run Brawl before Melee. I don't see how that could be a negative at all.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I think melee should just start earlier. Make it be a lunch break between melee and brawl instead of a dinner break. Brawl doubles and singles will never finish before 2 if it starts at 7. Melee runs too long into brawl and there are way less people that play, I don't understand that.

edit: honestly, i don't see how killer is one spot above me after what happened in doubles. Who was like "Hey, let's put killer one spot above rag after watching him get manhandled in doubles." Killer no offense, I'm not trying to say you're bad, you're pretty good, but I've never lost to you in tourney so I don't understand how you're one spot better than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom