• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Twilight Princess is definitely a game that tries to play on nostalgia a ton, specifically call backs to Ocarina of Time which are everywhere in the game. I think it’s an example of it being done really well though and might be one of my favorite usages of nostalgia in video games. It’s used to hint at connections between the two games and the series’s deeper lore and TP even builds on a lot of concepts from Ocarina of Time (such as the temple of time having a full dungeon).

Plus, narratively Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time have very little in common (at least compared to some other Zelda games) which makes the callbacks feel more welcome.
I totally agree... with your first sentence. 😛

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't care how many times Nintendo tries to tell us otherwise, I refuse to accept the Marios being twins, Mario being in his twenties, and them coming from the Mushroom Kingdom originally.

Mario is the older brother of Luigi, he's middle aged, and he's from Brooklyn.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't care how many times Nintendo tries to tell us otherwise, I refuse to accept the Marios being twins, Mario being in his twenties, and them coming from the Mushroom Kingdom originally.

Mario is the older brother of Luigi, he's middle aged, and he's from Brooklyn.
Well if it makes you feel better, that's the story they went with for the Mario movie. So they still acknowledge that sometimes lol

Quillion

Smash Hero
The idea that a Zelda game sucks because it's full of "empty space" is complete garbage, and that equally goes for the current Wild Saga and the more linear Wii era. Empty space makes the "real content" more meaningful, and the "real content" makes the empty space relaxing. They go hand in hand.

Instead, we really need to focus on whether a game uses empty space well or not; again SS's Sky and TotK's Sky both suffer from poor use of empty space, not because they are empty.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I think the removal of descriptions of characters in Ultimate made the game feel more… impersonal. Like not giving people a chance to really learn about these characters.

It probably contributed to people feeling ambivalent towards new faces and fighters.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I think the removal of descriptions of characters in Ultimate made the game feel more… impersonal. Like not giving people a chance to really learn about these characters.

It probably contributed to people feeling ambivalent towards new faces and fighters.
I totally agree. The characters at least should have kept their trophies' descriptions. Yes, they have a few lines of trivia, but it's buried between the descriptions of their moves and it's not nice to read at all.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I am very excited for the new Zelda game.

I look forward to playing it.

I love 2d Zelda.

But I'm reading everyone say that there was no 2d Zelda games made for Switch and while I realize it's a spinoff... Cadence of Hyrule should count.

People are already calling the upcoming one a spinoff cause you play as Zelda (who was also playable in Cadence of Hyrule), so it's not just being a spinoff that makes it so people don't realize it counts.

Is it just the rhythm based gameplay?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I am very excited for the new Zelda game.

I look forward to playing it.

I love 2d Zelda.

But I'm reading everyone say that there was no 2d Zelda games made for Switch and while I realize it's a spinoff... Cadence of Hyrule should count.

People are already calling the upcoming one a spinoff cause you play as Zelda (who was also playable in Cadence of Hyrule), so it's not just being a spinoff that makes it so people don't realize it counts.

Is it just the rhythm based gameplay?
Probably has to do with it being 1. a crossover, and 2. outsourced. That being said, spin-off/mainline heirarchy is really dumb and arbitrary in gaming - people will legitimately argue that Rayman Origins and Legends are spin-offs lmao.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Probably an unpopular opinion but

DKC Returns HD feels like one of Nintendos most pointless re-releases yet. I mean yes it is appealing to an enthusiast audience who want the best experience or a new generation if they missed or really liked Tropical Freeze but i feel like generally if you really wanted to play this game you probably already own it. I mean its available 2 decently successful platforms (not stuck on something more niche like wii u) & didnt see a limited release/franchise explosion (like Xenoblade). IDK maybe it will have some sort of bonus content but at this point it feels like barely a step up from the TLOU re-releases that everyone criticizes (only difference being TLOU is still available digitally which is another topic & is backwards compatible?)

Regardless congrats DKC fans, this decision over other potential re-releases just baffles me.

EDIT - Pointless was a poor choice of words, there is a point but is a rather weak one from what it could have been imo.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

DKC Returns HD feels like one of Nintendos most pointless re-releases yet. I mean yes it is appealing to an enthusiast audience who want the best experience or a new generation if they missed or really liked Tropical Freeze but i feel like generally if you really wanted to play this game you probably already own it. I mean its available 2 decently successful platforms (not stuck on something more niche like wii u) & didnt see a limited release/franchise explosion (like Xenoblade). IDK maybe it will have some sort of bonus content but at this point it feels like barely a step up from the TLOU re-releases that everyone criticizes (only difference being TLOU is still available digitally which is another topic & is backwards compatible?)

Regardless congrats DKC fans, this decision over other potential re-releases just baffles me.
Likely due to it being 15 years since the game originally released, and being on older hardware.

I wonder why people are calling it pointless when all I hear is how ‘Nintendo should preserve their games more’ and when Nintendo does that, people complain?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Likely due to it being 15 years since the game originally released, and being on older hardware.

I wonder why people are calling it pointless when all I hear is how ‘Nintendo should preserve their games more’ and when Nintendo does that, people complain?
I do like the preservation aspect of it although i question how it will age. This will probably be the best way to play the game but if there arent alot of physical copies produced you could be in a weird situation in 20 years if its delisted (extreme but 1st example in my head is clayfighter 63 1/3 vs sculptures cut).

I think it comes down to the choice of games to preserve. I mean right now i can get a brand new copy of DKC Returns from ebay for $26 (3ds) or $38 (wii) not even mentioning cheaper cib or loose options for well under $20. I get we have no right to say what deserves the best preservation but it just seems odd over other games from that generation in worse situations.

Pointless was a poor choice of words, there is a point but is a rather weak one from what it could have been imo.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Probably because people can be hypocrites sometimes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

EDIT - Pointless was a poor choice of words, there is a point but is a rather weak one from what it could have been imo.
It's certainly not the desired Donkey Kong game, but it's a Donkey Kong game, and a good one.

We're at this exact point as a fanbase. Believe me, I / we want a new game too. Desperately so. This just keeps the hope alive, and it's been a while anyway since this game came out in decent quality.

It's not much , but it's something. I know it's probably 100% related to the theme park but I interpret it more as a "sorry to keep you guys waiting, have a little more patience" than a kick in the banana. It was kinda inevitable cause of the theme park anyway.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
It's certainly not the desired Donkey Kong game, but it's a Donkey Kong game, and a good one.

We're at this exact point as a fanbase. Believe me, I / we want a new game too. Desperately so. This just keeps the hope alive, and it's been a while anyway since this game came out in decent quality.

It's not much , but it's something. I know it's probably 100% related to the theme park but I interpret it more as a "sorry to keep you guys waiting, have a little more patience" than a kick in the banana. It was kinda inevitable cause of the theme park anyway.
You bring up a good point i didnt really think about, its honestly easy to forget how long its been since Tropical Freeze Switch (2018) came out, especially from an outsider perspective when you also see some DK content making it in other Mario related titles.

Out of more realistic series to pull from guess DKC was kind of next in line huh. Makes a little more sense now especially with your other options for series remakes being riskier. Although it does feel like a double edged sword to be determining re-releases by this series needs something new as opposed to availability vs demand or qol potential.

Regardless hope i didnt come off as a bitter "insert series here" fan since my game didnt get chosen. Honestly just think its an interesting topic to try to make sense of. Like i said in op hope the game is good & DKC fans enjoy it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How did the Donkey Kong fans react to the Mario vs DK remake?
We don't generally like that game as it's a weird portrayal of our modern DK as the main villain with little to no context, and everything else in these games seems to draw of the Mario franchise. If any sort of crossover had to happen between these two, this was not the way. However gameplay seems to be good from what I've gathered. Mixed reactions basically. Most don't care at all, myself included.

You bring up a good point i didnt really think about, its honestly easy to forget how long its been since Tropical Freeze Switch (2018) came out, especially from an outsider perspective when you also see some DK content making it in other Mario related titles.

Out of more realistic series to pull from guess DKC was kind of next in line huh. Makes a little more sense now especially with your other options for series remakes being riskier. Although it does feel like a double edged sword to be determining re-releases by this series needs something new as opposed to availability vs demand or qol potential.

Regardless hope i didnt come off as a bitter "insert series here" fan since my game didnt get chosen. Honestly just think its an interesting topic to try to make sense of. Like i said in op hope the game is good & DKC fans enjoy it.
Oh I get your perspective too. It's honestly a game that's been ported already of course. And I much MUCH rather would have had a remake of the original DKC instead, bettrr yet the whole trilogy. But alas. This is what we got and am not too bothered about it. Will buy it in fact cause it was a good game and I want to help boost sales for hopefully more Donkey Kong in the future.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
We don't generally like that game as it's a weird portrayal of our modern DK as the main villain with little to no context, and everything else in these games seems to draw of the Mario franchise. If any sort of crossover had to happen between these two, this was not the way. However gameplay seems to be good from what I've gathered. Mixed reactions basically. Most don't care at all, myself included.
Honestly, I get really annoyed by how DKC fans tend to disregard the arcade series and its offshoots. They have an interesting real-world history; fun diegetic stories in a vacuum; and, while maybe not consistent, can hit equally as high highs for their time as DKC (the G&W games and Donkey Kong Jr. in particular have held up really well) - while MvDK obviously doesn't have any Donkey Kong Country content, saying it "only draws from the Mario franchise", or even suggesting it was supposed to be a crossover, is practically equivalent to disowning the arcade games. I do see the argument for MvDK using modern Mario character designs instead of lanky Jumpman Mario being misinformed, but ultimately, once you stop taking those DK Vine pills, Donkey Kong was never a lore franchise, just like Mario, it was always a "what cartoon scenario would be fun to show this time?" franchise, where events from older games only come back if they're fun - also, MvDK DK isn't a villain, just an antagonist, like his roles in Donkey Kong Goes Home and Saturday Supercade, he's allowed to get his toys at the end of every game.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The inherent issue is that beyond having Donkey Kong in them, there just isn't that much shared appeal between the Mario vs DK and Country titles for many people. The former is puzzle platformer with a playable Mario that's leaned into the toy aesthetic over time while the latter is a kinetic platformer with all playable Kongs based around the challenge of tricky enemies/platforms that's often gone for pseudo realism with the SNES titles or very stylized lush aesthetics for the Retro releases. I deeply respect the M v DK series and Donkey Kong 94 is still a masterclass in level in design, but for some fans they feel like the Luigi's Mansion series to Country's mainline Mario games; too much of a contrast in gameplay to be of much interest even if Luigi's in both.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im sorry you zelda (the character) FAns but i have to be honest!
There is just no way im hyped for a zelda game were my boi (literally) Is sucked into the shadow realm!
I mean ill probably still play it and have fun! But still my poor boi!
Link is and allways will be my favourite fictional character especially the gameboy (remake) version! Zelda meanwhile is a character i only like!
(i mean i stil own a plush, amiibo and action figure of her but i have multiple for link!)

The best thing that could come out of this game for me are "toy" Link plushies and action figures! (and zelda ones i guess but she remains secondary to them)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Im sorry you zelda (the character) FAns but i have to be honest!
There is just no way im hyped for a zelda game were my boi (literally) Is sucked into the shadow realm!
I mean ill probably still play it and have fun! But still my poor boi!
Link is and allways will be my favourite fictional character especially the gameboy (remake) version! Zelda meanwhile is a character i only like!
(i mean i stil own a plush, amiibo and action figure of her but i have multiple for link!)

The best thing that could come out of this game for me are "toy" Link plushies and action figures! (and zelda ones i guess but she remains secondary to them)
Pretty sure Link is still playable in some form. If only for a prologue of a short duration at worst, like the Ganon fight. Echoes of Wisdom sort of implies there's maybe a Echoes of Courage DLC? Or sequel? I'm not ruling things out as of yet. Game is looking amazing tho.

Top Bottom