• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Laniv

Smash Champion
TBF, "Gloom" really is such a goofy choice of word to represent the more powerful form of Malice. Even "Despair" would've worked better.
They should have switched the names. Failing that, name the more powerful form "Spite" or "Despair" or even "Vitriol". "Rancor" if they wanna be fancy.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Still though, how do you make a weapon-wielding Ganondorf not just another Ike? Heavies aren't exactly amenable to projectiles after all (as it would increase survivability beyond acceptable levels for casual play).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Still though, how do you make a weapon-wielding Ganondorf not just another Ike? Heavies aren't exactly amenable to projectiles after all (as it would increase survivability beyond acceptable levels for casual play).
in much the same way cloud wasn't just another ike. having a similar weapon does not equal the same moveset

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are we still arguing things like this in 2023? They have blatantly different sources material. They can have entirely different stats.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Are we still arguing things like this in 2023? They have blatantly different sources material. They can have entirely different stats.
Yeah, but Sephiroth's lightness really doesn't make sense for him, and it barely made sense for Mewtwo as well. Would you want Ganon to have that treatment?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, but Sephiroth's lightness really doesn't make sense for him, and it barely made sense for Mewtwo as well. Would you want Ganon to have that treatment?
No.

But having a sword using Ganondorf doesn't suddenly make him Ike.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've been thinking about how my passions about the Switch faded over time given the types of games that seemed to be emphasized (with the infamous farming direct last fall being a crystallizing moment of me realizing that I had to change my expectations of the console) and when considering it more, I think some of the roots of that distance between my ideal Nintendo and its reality were birthed with the DS.

Now the DS' success speaks for itself; the best selling Nintendo system of all time and best selling handheld ever. Its a very special release to countless people around the world and entire generations of fans were created by it. And yet its the only (non Virtual Boy) Nintendo console I never owned and one I have the least nostalgia for. Part of that was rooted in the fact that wasn't really in a position to afford getting it and by the time I was comfortable buying a portable system again, the 3DS was out. The other factor though was that system's library simply didn't grab me for a number of reasons.

Even with the GBA's strong set of role playing games, in a lot of ways was the DS that really brought the JRPG back to Nintendo in full force and its very much a system defined by that and various other genres which carved out major legacies on the machine; rhythm releases, puzzle titles, and visual novels. Now obviously those are all kinds of fantastic types of games... and all ones which had the least amount of appeal to me. There were exceptions of course; Bowser's Inside Story was a masterpiece, the touch mode of Tetris DS is incredibly underrated, and the early Ace Attorney releases had their charms. Yet if you look up the top 25 lists for the console, they're the types of games dominate much of them.

As a counterpoint to that the action and platformer style games I adored, while certainly on the system, didn't have the kind of presence to justify buying a DS. New Super Mario Bros was a fun throwback, Sonic was arguably carrying platformers with the Rush trilogy, and even action platformer hybrids like Contra 4 still hold up even now. But their quantity seemed dwarfed by the genres in the paragraph above and other ones that were great often tended to be either remakes like Kirby Super Star or Rayman. I hadn't quite discovered Metroidvanias yet, so it would only be years later when the quality of the Castlevania trilogy would become apparent.

Moreover a lot of the favorite IP's I did adore always seemed to have issues with their releases on the console that made them feel like they didn't quite live up to what they could have been. Mario 64 with awkward d-pad controls, Zelda with constant touch screen emphasis, Yoshi going to the well of baby characters with Island DS, the likes of Squeak Squad not really having an identity of its own, Star Fox inexplicably becoming a pseudo RTS game, and both DK and Metroid never getting mainline titles in favor of gimmicky spin-offs. The latter three especially felt unfortunate given how much the series could have benefited from straightforward sequels. Mario Kart DS would escape this fate, but for so many others it felt like Nintendo just couldn't get out of their own way with the franchises I liked.

Finally the touch screen emphasis just always felt like a barrier to entry at times. For some games it worked, while others simply felt like they had to use it for the sake of it; for me it was on odd foreshadowing of the problems that would plague the WII U where the central concept of the controller effectively steamrolled the organic play games would have otherwise had. So many potential DS games I approached with trepidation, wondering how much using the stylus would hinder the experience.

Now while I know this feels like a very long winded way of saying I didn't dig the DS, my overall point is that with the incredible success of the console and how beloved it is even now vs. my own experience with it? Its an indication that even as early as the mid aughts that the company was rather sensibly moving to towards a different emphasis/experimentation with its games and that in some ways my disenchantment with the Switch is really just Nintendo history logically repeating itself. While part of me will always look at both systems and lament what could have been, I can recognize that the overall strategies of the two have made complete sense and their libraries are so very rich, even if very often outside my tastes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I am TIRED of Shiver winning almost every splatfest in Splatoon 3 thus far, it’s even worse when my selected team (Frye or Big Man) gets nothing. It was literally like that the first two splatfest, I picked the dead last teams both times.

Feel like adding a third side made things worse…

Laniv

Smash Champion
I am TIRED of Shiver winning almost every splatfest in Splatoon 3 thus far, it’s even worse when my selected team (Frye or Big Man) gets nothing. It was literally like that the first two splatfest, I picked the dead last teams both times.

I hear you; I don't even like ice cream, I just wanted Frye to win for once

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

the problem seems to be that most fans just pick the character they've got the hots for rather than theme which is against the whole point of the fest. might work better if there was just a single host

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

I picked team Vanilla because I love vanilla flavor, and I feel so hollow because I just know I didn't win for any taste reason 😭

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I picked team Vanilla because I love vanilla flavor, and I feel so hollow because I just know I didn't win for any taste reason 😭
Both Vanilla and Power often rushed my side and sometimes spawn camped (I was courage and Strawberry in the reverse order) and sometimes their team got a DC in the first minute to boot everyone during a match, often during multipliers

Assuming it was intentional, this is results gaming and should be punishable somehow

if it wasn’t intentional, they still need to fix the servers and matchmaking cuzit happens way too much

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Both Vanilla and Power often rushed my side and sometimes spawn camped (I was courage and Strawberry in the reverse order) and sometimes their team got a DC in the first minute to boot everyone during a match, often during multipliers

Assuming it was intentional, this is results gaming and should be punishable somehow

if it wasn’t intentional, they still need to fix the servers and matchmaking cuzit happens way too much
i feel you

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only times I can somewhat forgive spawn camping is in a regular Turf War (no splatfest) or Splat Zones as that ends once one side maintains control or times out

I’ve seen a video of people spawn camping during Rainmaker and NEVER having the mercy to just get on the podium and finish the game, they were right there just splatting and squidbagging just to non verbally say “skill issue” I guess until time ran out

splatoon 3 is just somehow way more unsportsmanlike than 2. Tricolor Battles don’t help either, it was good on paper but executed really badly and the map designs just make it worse in that regard

I miss shifty stations man

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only times I can somewhat forgive spawn camping is in a regular Turf War (no splatfest) or Splat Zones as that ends once one side maintains control or times out

I’ve seen a video of people spawn camping during Rainmaker and NEVER having the mercy to just get on the podium and finish the game, they were right there just splatting and squidbagging just to non verbally say “skill issue” I guess until time ran out

splatoon 3 is just somehow way more unsportsmanlike than 2. Tricolor Battles don’t help either, it was good on paper but executed really badly and the map designs just make it worse in that regard

I miss shifty stations man
i never forgive camping

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
If this is Splatfest complaint hours lemme just say Mint Chip was a mistake. The shade of blue they picked was wayyyy too saturated and it just drowned out everything. I could not see anything moving if it was in a big pool of Mint Chip ink.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I may sit the next splatfest out unless they don’t give Shiver the “obvious” or “popular” choice or make matchmaking fairer and somehow crack down on spawn campers or people who rush the turf relentlessly. Changing up themes could help

like (slightly recycled from 2 with a third party added) Sci-fi (Shiver) vs Fantasy (Frye) vs Mystery (Big Man). Pearl was Sci-fi and Marina was Fantasy in 2 and Marina won that one so it could be an easy win for Frye (just want her to sweep for once dangit… she also won Sweet which Marina had in an EU splatfest, albeit Pearl had Salty there)

starting to prefer Big Run more anyway, at least when a new King Salmonid is revealed. The Horrorboros debut one was great, but the June one was mid as it cycled between Cohozuna and Horrorboros and the stage wasn’t that great, I was knocked into the water a lot

tbh I think a lot of 3’s problems just come from stage design in general

sorry for rambling so much about this

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I may sit the next splatfest out unless they don’t give Shiver the “obvious” or “popular” choice or make matchmaking fairer and somehow crack down on spawn campers or people who rush the turf relentlessly. Changing up themes could help

like (slightly recycled from 2 with a third party added) Sci-fi (Shiver) vs Fantasy (Frye) vs Mystery (Big Man). Pearl was Sci-fi and Marina was Fantasy in 2 and Marina won that one so it could be an easy win for Frye (just want her to sweep for once dangit… she also won Sweet which Marina had in an EU splatfest, albeit Pearl had Salty there)

starting to prefer Big Run more anyway, at least when a new King Salmonid is revealed. The Horrorboros debut one was great, but the June one was mid as it cycled between Cohozuna and Horrorboros and the stage wasn’t that great, I was knocked into the water a lot

tbh I think a lot of 3’s problems just come from stage design in general

sorry for rambling so much about this
yeah i defiantly prefer salmon run over turf war at this point

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
StarFox doesn't deserve another game. To me, there's too many soft reboots and Nintendo doesn't really know what to do with the series.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The fact that Pikmin has become a stronger series (to the point where 4 has already debuted to the series strongest results yet) via building upon its core elements demonstrates just how dubious the lack of attention to F-Zero is and how deeply flawed the approach to Star Fox has been. The excuses about weak sales have become less and less convincing when it's become increasingly clear that real care (and no alienating gimmicks stuck to them) can actually allow even a less prominent series to grow.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The fact that Pikmin has become a stronger series (to the point where 4 has already debuted to the series strongest results yet) via building upon its core elements demonstrates just how dubious the lack of attention to F-Zero is and how deeply flawed the approach to Star Fox has been. The excuses about weak sales have become less and less convincing when it's become increasingly clear that real care (and no alienating gimmicks stuck to them) can actually allow even a less prominent series to grow.
what you're saying that pikmin 4 proves nintendo intentionally sabotaged f-zero and star fox?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
what you're saying that pikmin 4 proves nintendo intentionally sabotaged f-zero and star fox?
Sabotaged? Absolutely not. But it does suggest to me that Nintendo has the capacity to organically grow smaller IP's when they don't overthink it with gimmicks (ala Star Fox) and actually build up the elements already present without the belief that they need to a completely new angle to justify a another entry (like they apparently believe with F-Zero).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sabotaged? Absolutely not. But it does suggest to me that Nintendo has the capacity to organically grow smaller IP's when they don't overthink it with gimmicks (ala Star Fox) and actually build up the elements already present without the belief that they need to a completely new angle to justify a another entry (like they apparently believe with F-Zero).
oh I see

Quillion

Smash Hero
Gimmicks still have a place though. They make each installment in a series stand out from one another instead of purely being stagnant iterations on one another like NSMB or Dynasty Warriors.

I think it's more that F-Zero and Star Fox are at their core very arcadey games meant for action-dense, explosive experiences rather than meandering through a world at your own pace like Zelda or even Pikmin. The realm of the former has been taken over by small-scale indie games (and I even would suggest that those two franchises be continued in more small-scale endeavors). Plus, it's clear that (for various reasons), developers and players alike want their mainstream games to be meandering and explorative.

Of course, you could turn F-Zero and Star Fox into meandering, explorative experiences, but the worlds can quickly turn into an obstacle for players getting to the parts they like.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I love Kirby, but let's be real:

Kirby squanders its potential by not having higher difficulty options. I know that Forgotten Land has Wild Mode, but that's more of a "normal mode" than a hard mode.

That said, I wouldn't want a Kirby hard mode modeled on KDL's Extra Mode (which is archaic and unfair at times) or RtDL's Extra Mode (which is lazy and only really exists for the bosses). Model it more after Cuphead's stages, where hordes of enemies will barrage you with everything they've got but you can see them coming mostly.

Quillion

Smash Hero
collecting is the key word
You've actually hit on why I hate the term "collect-a-thon" as it refers to the Mario 64/Banjo-like platformer genre. It implies collecting is the whole point of the genre when it's really a means to get the player to explore individually self-contained but open-ended levels.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You've actually hit on why I hate the term "collect-a-thon" as it refers to the Mario 64/Banjo-like platformer genre. It implies collecting is the whole point of the genre when it's really a means to get the player to explore individually self-contained but open-ended levels.
If nothing else...at least it's a better genre name than Metroidvania lmao.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I liked Brawl’s whole “edgy and gritty” artstyle on paper. In practice it just looks stupid having Mario be angry with the stupid realistic denim and washed out colour pallets but I like the push for a more unified artstyle as the Smash series went forward and I think unity in artstyle is important for a crossover. Modern Smash’s artstyle has some unity but if it was stylized like Brawl or at least had a less corporate, cool look to it I would enjoy it a lot more. I really like KOF as a crossover because it brings so many SNK series that aren’t just fighting games together yet stays true to what makes those characters themselves even if they’re in a completely different artstyle with redesigns. I wish Smash could be a little bit more like that and while it wasn’t very good I like that Brawl attempted this.

I can kind of understand the edginess and gritty colour palette too, a lot of games were moving in this direction especially Sonic and Snake, the game’s big two additions, series.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can kind of understand the edginess and gritty colour palette too, a lot of games were moving in this direction especially Sonic and Snake, the game’s big two additions, series.
That's very much a "seemed cool at the time, but looking back I cringe" type of situation.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
just cause you don't like the dub names
I dont have an issue with miasma the intended Dub Name That names Fine its called that in the files and fits the atmosphere of GDORF
Gloom on the other hand? Gloom sound incredibly silly and dumb! same With upheveavel! Both miasma and Cataclysm are used in every non japanese or english language!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I dont have an issue with miasma the intended Dub Name That names Fine its called that in the files and fits the atmosphere of GDORF
Gloom on the other hand? Gloom sound incredibly silly and dumb! same With upheveavel! Both miasma and Cataclysm are used in every non japanese or english language!
geez how long ago was this?

Top Bottom