• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
The funny/depressing thing is that the way AI tech is doing, we'll probably have a voice generated edit of the film within a year that replaces Pratt'with Marinet all without the actual involvement of the latter at all.
Still though, Mario game voice acting is that way it is because they need to convey lots of personality in very short grunts or phrases at most.

I understand changing that paradigm for a movie, though if anything, they should give the job to dedicated voice actors if they want to change it.

I still wish they got someone as good as Chris Diamantopoulos as Mickey Mouse, since at least he can play a character with a comically high pitched voice with range and nuance.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Wasn't Charles Martinet a Shakespearian actor before he was Mario? I think he could absolutely hold the accent for a whole film - I imagine it'd be toned down a little though, like how Wario's accent was toned down when he was speaking full sentences in WarioWare Gold.

EDIT: Yeah, that first part was a misconception on my part.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Illumination should have a special feature for the Blu Ray which is is Martinet doing Mario, but using his Paarthurnax voice.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo's really leaving money on the table not having a section of their first party dedicated to more small-scale (maybe) sprite-based games.

I know that part of it is due to the obsession with graphics that plagues the modern gaming audience, but I don't see any reason for Nintendo to not put together a small team to make games like Super Princess Peach or Golden Sun or Wario Land with a more small-scale bent. Have them coexist with the teams that make the bigger games.

The Switch is supposed to be a console and handheld hybrid, but Nintendo's first-party teams are treating it as a console alone.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I hope Tears of the Kingdom's destruction of the Master Sword will turn out to be a symbolic gesture of the series leaving the Master Sword behind as an icon of the series.

Because really, I think the Master Sword is holding Zelda back, and even if the two-dungeon-set structure returns in any capacity, it would be better if the end of the first act is punctuated by a resolution of the hero(es) to use their wits and resources rather than turning to an old reliable legendary sword.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Star Fox 64's "bad ending" is entirely pointless since everyone just acts like Andross was destroyed anyway. Honestly, it feels like both endings of 64 could logically lead to Adventures.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Star Fox 64's "bad ending" is entirely pointless since everyone just acts like Andross was destroyed anyway. Honestly, it feels like both endings of 64 could logically lead to Adventures.
I never saw this as a "bad ending", just the "easy, normal ending": Andross turns out to be a robot, OK, why not. For me, there is no bad ending in this game, only a good one and a better one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it was years before i found out this was the case

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Sonic movie(s) and the Mario are both alright films that lack the other's respective strengths.

The Sonic duology manages real emotional depth, does a solid job with its character arcs, and gets one invested in the story. However its excessively focused on the less interesting human cast and still feels reluctant to explore settings and elements unique to the franchise. The Mario release nails the look of its exotic world, is filled to the brim with nods/references to the series, and feels incredibly distinct even compared to other animated films. However its characterization feels thin at times, there are minimal (if any) real arcs for the central figures, and the pacing doesn't effectively allow most of its scenes to breathe.

Honestly if you combined the best aspects of both into one film, you'd have one hell of a great love letter to video games.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Sonic movie(s) and the Mario are both alright films that lack the other's respective strengths.

The Sonic duology manages real emotional depth, does a solid job with its character arcs, and gets one invested in the story. However its excessively focused on the less interesting human cast and still feels reluctant to explore settings and elements unique to the franchise. The Mario release nails the look of its exotic world, is filled to the brim with nods/references to the series, and feels incredibly distinct even compared to other animated films. However its characterization feels thin at times, there are minimal (if any) real arcs for the central figures, and the pacing doesn't effectively allow most of its scenes to breathe.

Honestly if you combined the best aspects of both into one film, you'd have one hell of a great love letter to video games.
I haven't even seen the Mario movie yet and that's still the impression I got from what I saw of the trailers.

TBH, though I'm not so sure Mario was really meant for long-form storytelling like that of a feature film, especially that it's (overly) reliant on having simple-yet-memorable characterization that can be delivered in short grunts and phrases.

Maybe they should've gone with a few animated shorts first...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
After what happened today, **** Reggie. Using his celebrity platform to incite harassment against a fan for the "grave" "crime" of potentially spoiling the ending of a game, with threatening tone of language which - considering the source material - could be seen as a death threat, not even bothering to as much as censor usernames. ****ing corporate psychopath. He knows what he's doing, nobody makes a well-meaning joke and then screencaps the post it was replying to once the user deletes their account because of it.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
After what happened today, **** Reggie. Using his celebrity platform to incite harassment against a fan for the "grave" "crime" of potentially spoiling the ending of a game, with threatening tone of language which - considering the source material - could be seen as a death threat, not even bothering to as much as censor usernames. ****ing corporate psychopath. He knows what he's doing, nobody makes a well-meaning joke and then screencaps the post it was replying to once the user deletes their account because of it.
Given Reggie's recent actions (and the response of Nintendo's fanbase), I feel that this video by EmpLemon has just gained a whole new level of relevance.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The heck happened?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have two main thoughts on TotK, one spoiler and one not:

Not spoiler: As much as I love nonlinear level design, I'm not really a fan of how the dungeons in the game are just "big Divine Beasts" where you can get the terminals in any order again. The theming's good, but I want a mix of dungeons of different kinds, pure linear, hub-and-spoke, and pure nonlinear, not all being one kind.

Also, the game is somehow trying to make the "Wild Saga" a reboot, yet it's a sequel to BotW which already referenced Nabooru and Ruto in in-game text. Doesn't really make sense to me. I'm in support of a reboot, and I'm in support of it being tied to the previous games, but TotK makes itself caught in this indecisive middle ground that feels muddled rather than satisfying.

Still love the game though, since it took pretty much every other criticism I had of BotW (which I also loved) and addressed them.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The world is ready for a Wario World 2.
It would be beautiful. It would be gorgeous. It's easily in my top 10 of things I want most in life. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I have never been more ready. This probably sounds like hyperbole, but I am 100% serious. I'm a Wario World lover through and through.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I love Wario World as well. Hope the potential sequel will have deeper combat though, and I would hope the puzzles will be more integrated into the level itself rather than isolated rooms.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have two main thoughts on TotK, one spoiler and one not:

Not spoiler: As much as I love nonlinear level design, I'm not really a fan of how the dungeons in the game are just "big Divine Beasts" where you can get the terminals in any order again. The theming's good, but I want a mix of dungeons of different kinds, pure linear, hub-and-spoke, and pure nonlinear, not all being one kind.

Also, the game is somehow trying to make the "Wild Saga" a reboot, yet it's a sequel to BotW which already referenced Nabooru and Ruto in in-game text. Doesn't really make sense to me. I'm in support of a reboot, and I'm in support of it being tied to the previous games, but TotK makes itself caught in this indecisive middle ground that feels muddled rather than satisfying.

Still love the game though, since it took pretty much every other criticism I had of BotW (which I also loved) and addressed them.
I wouldn't consider it a reboot. It would fit nicely if the past events happened before Skyward Sword. I mean there's no knowledge about the Master Sword yet, Goddess Hylia isn't mentioned, could be Hylia is a descendant of Rauru and Sonia, or direct daughter even. With her sending all Hylians skyward, could explain she's half Zonai? DLC could elaborate on it further more. Also if Calamity Ganon could exist with Ganondorf in hibernation mode, so could Demise and other Ganondorf incarnations probably.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I wouldn't consider it a reboot. It would fit nicely if the past events happened before Skyward Sword. I mean there's no knowledge about the Master Sword yet, Goddess Hylia isn't mentioned, could be Hylia is a descendant of Rauru and Sonia, or direct daughter even. With her sending all Hylians skyward, could explain she's half Zonai? DLC could elaborate on it further more. Also if Calamity Ganon could exist with Ganondorf in hibernation mode, so could Demise and other Ganondorf incarnations probably.
Meh, I always thought BotW's lore was held back by referencing previous lore instead of being a reboot, and TotK hasn't changed my opinion.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I absolutly adore the links awekening costume in TOTK BUT im sorry for others that they didnt make any other intersting Amiibo Rewards for example have a zelda and Ganondorf Costume And Bam Both of them (Especially) Zelda are sorta playable making tons of people happy!
Yes From certain leaks there only seems to be Paraglidercloths for the two new amiibo!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I hate that Ganondorf is a sword user in his boss fight AGAIN.

Sure, it's improved from the last few "cool sword duels" from the more recent 3D Zeldas, and I love that he at least switches weapons on the fly, but still, he can do so much better than be a weapon wielder (read: be a hand-to-hand combatant like in Smash).

Seriously, for all the talk of breaking Zelda's traditions for the Wild Saga, we didn't need to keep "cool sword duel final boss" as one of them.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm excited that Mario Wonder is getting more playable characters.

But my biggest wish at this point is that they'll have Mario Advance-like voice clips for the characters.

Yeah, I know some people thought they were annoying, but I loved the charm those clips brought. Plus, all they really need to do is have Mario say "Hoohoo, just what I needed!" or something like that like 33% of the time rather than every time he gets a power-up.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I hate that Ganondorf is a sword user in his boss fight AGAIN.

Sure, it's improved from the last few "cool sword duels" from the more recent 3D Zeldas, and I love that he at least switches weapons on the fly, but still, he can do so much better than be a weapon wielder (read: be a hand-to-hand combatant like in Smash).

Seriously, for all the talk of breaking Zelda's traditions for the Wild Saga, we didn't need to keep "cool sword duel final boss" as one of them.
But ganondorf fights with weapons? him punching is literally just more boring?! this would be like saying oh how about link wielding a normal/ real gun!

Also on a related note im fine with the TOTK Formula and 6 year wait for a release IF we get 1 or 2 new classic 2d zelda games during that time (they could be done by other studios) Or if nintendo doesnt even wanna do that a Zelda Maker with overworld, Dungeon, dialouge and everything else that makes zelda zelda

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But ganondorf fights with weapons? him punching is literally just more boring?! this would be like saying oh how about link wielding a normal/ real gun!

Also on a related note im fine with the TOTK Formula and 6 year wait for a release IF we get 1 or 2 new classic 2d zelda games during that time (they could be done by other studios) Or if nintendo doesnt even wanna do that a Zelda Maker with overworld, Dungeon, dialouge and everything else that makes zelda zelda
bear in mind the dev time was probably extended due to lockdown

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It would also help him stand out from all the other bog-standard evil overlords with swords in everything ever.
Might as well complain about protagonists with swords then. Nobody in the roster resembles Demon King Ganondorf from TOTK on the Smash roster yet. I see no problem. Especially since he also uses other weapons and abilities.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I would have Pig Ganon as a fighter.
True but if you do that we still have bare minimum 5 Triforce bearers in the game and thats if you completly cut Sheik and Young link
(And NO you dont cut toon link that would be the most dumb decision you could do ahem)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
True but if you do that we still have bare minimum 5 Triforce bearers in the game and thats if you completly cut Sheik and Young link
(And NO you dont cut toon link that would be the most dumb decision you could do ahem)
I would give Young and Toon their own moveset redesigns to better represent the games they came from.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Might as well complain about protagonists with swords then. Nobody in the roster resembles Demon King Ganondorf from TOTK on the Smash roster yet. I see no problem. Especially since he also uses other weapons and abilities.
We already have a heavy sword user though.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Maybe don't wish bad things on people just because of a video game opinion.
Gloom/ Miasma isnt real tho although yeah originally i completly got of the rails and said i would gameover him (Which obviously wasnt meant seriously) But yeah maybe he just needs to be shot by a lil octorok that enough (It does one half heart hell be fine also i get shot often by my pet octo)

Also his opinion is based on like the first half hour of the game! he didnt even mention ultrahand

Top Bottom