• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Years Bash Tournament- GameBattles- Starts Jan 6th, registration open now

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
The New Years Bash GameBattles Ladder/Tournament. $600+ in Prizes. The Tournament will be conducted beginning on January 6, 2009, and ending on Febuary 12, 2009. Registrations for this Tournament will begin on December 20, 2009, and end on January 5, 2009. Check out the bellow links for all the other good info.

http://gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/tournament/new-years-bash

http://gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/tournament/new-years-bash/rules/

http://gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/tournament/new-years-bash/prize

http://gamebattles.com/forums/t/New-Years-Bash-Tournament-1806293

kr3wman

Smash Master
The tournament costs 30 credits.

• 20 credits - 12.99$
  • 30 credits - 19.99$
  • 40 credits - 24.99$
  • 50 credits - 29.99$
  • 100 credits - 49.99$
  • 250 credits - 89.99$

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
For the "$600+ in prizes" thing... I take it that's just a projection. That's approximately 30 people's entry fees, so I take it MLG plans on taking half of the pot? I can't see this tourney having less than 64 people, given how large the online community is.

And face124, do some simple math. $600 may sound like a lot, but it really isn't when you add up how many people enter a tourney. A 64-man tourney that costs $15 to enter and distributes 60% of the pot as prizes will be giving out $576. I'm sure you've been to tournies like this before. Note that these dollar amounts aren't necessarily all given to first place, though - for both my hypothetical tourney and the MLG tourney. It just says "in prizes." MLG won't be giving out much more than any other tourney you enter irl, and may in fact be giving out less.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Enjoy the $600+ Ally :)
Ally is banned from Gamebattles because his brother registered under the same Wii and thus they both got banned for 3 months.

I don't really get how you could exploit that tho.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
Ally is banned from Gamebattles because his brother registered under the same Wii and thus they both got banned for 3 months.

I don't really get how you could exploit that tho.
If they ever faced each other one person could lose on purpose so the other moved on.
Or he could have been lying and the second account for the wii could be used for a second chance at the prize if one loses their is still the second

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
For the "$600+ in prizes" thing... I take it that's just a projection. That's approximately 30 people's entry fees, so I take it MLG plans on taking half of the pot? I can't see this tourney having less than 64 people, given how large the online community is.

And face124, do some simple math. $600 may sound like a lot, but it really isn't when you add up how many people enter a tourney. A 64-man tourney that costs $15 to enter and distributes 60% of the pot as prizes will be giving out $576. I'm sure you've been to tournies like this before. Note that these dollar amounts aren't necessarily all given to first place, though - for both my hypothetical tourney and the MLG tourney. It just says "in prizes." MLG won't be giving out much more than any other tourney you enter irl, and may in fact be giving out less.
The payouts were listed by JV in the first post, under the prizes link. First place is $400.

http://gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/tournament/new-years-bash/prize

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I can't believe Major League freaking Gaming is offering you the chance to win 400$ from sitting in your house playing a game, and all anyone can do is whine about lag. I really, really hope that the communities of other games don't accept this as the representation of our community.

It's simple. Don't play the same way you play offline.

Ignoring the haters, this is a great start to 2009 for Smash.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I can't believe Major League freaking Gaming is offering you the chance to win 400$ from sitting in your house playing a game, and all anyone can do is whine about lag. I really, really hope that the communities of other games don't accept this as the representation of our community.

It's simple. Don't play the same way you play offline.

Ignoring the haters, this is a great start to 2009 for Smash.
Because... the prizes are only ok and you have to play in lag for them. The total prizes will be worth $720. This includes the $400 for 1st, $200 for 2nd, and the return of entry fees for 3rd-8th places. There will likely be a minimum of 64 people competing. This means that 56.25% of the pot is being awarded as prizes - 31.25% to 1st, 15.625% to 2nd, and 9.375% split among 3rd-8th places. MLG ends up taking 43.75% of the pot. This is assuming a 64 man tourney. If there are more players then the payout will be even worse. If there are less, however, the winners will be making a fair chunk of cash.

Now, let's compare this to a 64 man tourney with a $15 entry fee, where 40% of the pot goes to 1st, 20% goes to 2nd, and 10% goes to third; 70% of the pot is being given out as prizes and 30% goes to the house. Total prizes is $672. There will be $384 given to 1st, $192 given to 2nd, and $96 given to 3rd. If the $96 were to be split between places 3rd through 8th instead, each would receive $16. This is pretty close to the awards being given in the MLG tourney, is it not? This is not an unusual setup for tourney prizes, either.

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
This doesn't seem as bad as some say it is. besides, not every game lags, it just depends on how far away the other people are. And besides, for offline tournaments, you have to go somewhere else, meaning you'll have to pay for gas and whatnot, and it will take more time, since you'll have to go to the place and stay until all other matches are finished (assuming you move up).

For an online tourney, you simply have to wait in your house, and do whatever you want between your matches. A lot of the prize money probably goes to the host on most occasions, and is usually at a set value, so the more people that participate, the more the host gets, like they say "the house always wins". So there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of tourneys, It all depends which you prefer, then again, you can go to both types of tourneys, which would be better since you'll end up playing against different types of people, at least this what I think, anyways.

I myself would participate, but unfortunately I haven't had much practice against other players and will surely fail the first round, therefore not worth the $20 for me, but I do believe that this is a great way to start SSBB this year.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
The difference between this MLG tournament and another 64 man tournament is that MLG is a company, and has to feasibly make profit before it can consider a proposition like this. Another tournament host can host fantastic tournaments with great payouts because in the end he's hoping to break even or make a couple bucks.

MLG is taking the extra money to go into all of the other features that they bring ya; server and hosting costs for mlgpro.com, gamebattles.com, smashboards.com, online feeds of MLG events, promotional events, the different staff members who work at MLG, and the MLG circuit in itself!

There is a different head space going on between how the two tournaments are marketed.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
LOL @ people complaining at the cost.. The fact of the matter is, most of you have NEVER entered a tourney where the pot had $600. The reason so many players can enter is BECAUSE it's WiFi.

That being said, I'm not entering. You need WiFi experience to play on WiFi. It's different than regular play.

Also, Smasher's need to stop being so cheap. It's really hurting the community. If a company comes in and sets up a tourney charging a particular amount, with a set payout, enter or don't. It's their right to make a profit, and is the reason why they host events in the first place.

Anyone ever notice most of the top TOs do extremely well their region?

Don't always be so scared to let someone make money off of you, especially when it's costing you a normal amount for an above normal reward. Everyone wins. No johns and quit your whining.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
$20 isn't that bad... The only thing is, I could go to a tourney, get in for $10, play all the friendlies I want, and enter Singles for the same amount...

The thing about this is 1 it's Wi-Fi, and 2 it's twice as expensive as most Brawl Singles tourneys.

Pierce definitely has a point though.

flareaga

Smash Cadet
If I didn't have to pay using a Credit Card, I would gladly do this! I think we shouldn't complain that MLG is setting up tourneys...as soon as I get a way to pay over the internet, I'll joining willy nilly. I live at home still in school with a job that pays way to good for me doing nothing.

I'll be glad to shove out 20 bucks for the good of the community.

It also seems they raised the deadline to the 9th, not enough participants it seems.

Top Bottom