• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Everytime I come here it's full of people saying they haven't worked out in a while and they need to start again.
most people because theyre lazy, me because i injury myself constantly lol

Stress fractures...yeesh. That can easily keep a bball player out for a long time. Hope it doesn't develop into that.
it won't, given that i've stopped running for a while.

big question is how long until i can run again... and how much fitness i will lose during that time.

also, i do track, not bball lol

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
And on that note, ha.

First post here in a while. Well, I was keepin' on my schedule as usual and errthang was fine. My whey shake consumption advice from here was very good and probably saved me a lot of money, so thanks for that.

So, the thing is, I am a bouncer by trade. This means it is my job to sit on an uncomfortable stool and listen to mediocre music. Sometimes, however, my job is to deal with unruly patients and generally remove them from the premises while causing them as little injury as possible. Other times I do random oddjobs that generally amount to a lot of lifting things and moving them from one place to another.

Sometime in... I think it was late september, I was starting to get some really nasty back pain. I had been on my current schedule for quite a while by then, so I didn't think it was the exercise, and I still have no idea. Mostly around the lower back there. I asked around for some advice, iced it, ate aspirin like candy, did lots of hammie stretches, you name it. Well, unless it's not one of those things. If you're naming something I haven't tried, I probably need to try it.

But I digress! I tried to keep at my schedule, but it started to feel worse every time I worked out, so I stopped for a while. Bear in mind I'm not doing strength training, just a nice, midway mix of endurance reps and reasonable weight, so I'm not overshooting myself and risking my spinal integrity or anything. It's not the weight I'm using.

Anyway, I decided to just stop for a week or so, nurse the back, hopefully it'd go away, and I could keep on as before. However, on a friday night at work that was quite busy, I had to do a ton of random oddjobs all throughout, and then it culminated in, I wish I was kidding, a riot. All throughout the last ten minutes of my shift I was in a sea of high-testosterone eighteen to twenty year old dip****s, wrestling with at least two of them at all times, heaving them toward and out the door, you name it. I feel like I wrenched my back even worse here, as a fair amount of hefty twisting, struggling, falling and lifting was obviously involved.

And it just. Hasn't gone away. I just always have this one painful spot on my lower back, now. I don't notice it right now, but I'm trying to sit as perfectly as possible, and even then it's more of a very dull but noticeable feeling than actually not there. Otherwise it's pretty much always an impediment of varying potency. When walking, standing, sitting on anything that isn't exquisitely comfortable, lying down. All the staples. Naturally, when I notice it most is when stress is put on it, such as fights at the bar, or lifting. Even lifting a single 24 off a stack digs a needle in there and I can't help but grunt a bit when I do so. Any kind of abcrunch movement is also hellish on the ol' back, such as getting off the couch or what have you.

And, yeah. It just doesn't go away. And it's starting to worry me, and is bothersome as all hell, too. It's at the extreme of the lower back. I'd say it's from just to the right of the spine to just under the right kidney, depending on what I'm doing to cause the pain to flare up.

So yeah. Anyone have advice? Similar experiences? Etc? A massage isn't an option because they cost a metric ton of money, so yeah. Keep your solutions down on the price scale, heh.

thanks in advance boyos

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Goal not reached - I'm still curling 25 lbs instead of 30 lbs like I wanted to by now.

Goal reached - running every day, sometimes even twice a day, more protein in diet.

Stretching is too good imo. Does everyone stretch? Any pros and cons I should know about?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Evil Eye EDIT: nvm yeah what pluvia said..you need that checked out.

Master Shake, there's a couple things you can do to help with being able to use more weight. How many reps are you doing with the current one?

Try adding an extra set but dropping it to 5 reps. Go slow and controlled doing three counts up and three counts down (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi , 3 mississippi) crushing the handle in your fist flexing all the muscles in use as hard as you can through the whole range of motion..you'll want to feel like your crushing that dumbell or barbell in your fists. When building strength take about 2 minutes rest periods between sets to refresh your muscles for the next set.

You can also try to doing 35 or 45 lb negatives for reps using your other hand as a spotter. That can help you as well ^^; Just let the weight down as slow as you possibly can and use your other arm to help it back up.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yesterday was probably my last day working out for awhile. I no longer have gym access. :(

:phone:
I KNOW THE PAIN.

Having to do **** on tree-branches and bodyweight was murder. Luckily though, I <just> today was able to get access. Hope you find a way to work things out. Never let a day go to waste though; always try to at least get some bodyweight in.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I got 275lb on bench today. Even though it was on a power rack Lol still happy. Starting a mass building program I read in muscle and fitness gonna see where it takes me. If anything it at least gives me a little more structure to my workouts.

It's 16 weeks long. These are going to be the before pictures and it's what I look like as of right now. Gained a little weight over turkey week lol

Omis

my friends were skinny
Either
A.) Youre taking in a full lung to make it look like youve got a huge chest
B.) You have a serious spinal defect, possibly lordosis
Either one is a problem

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
By power rack do you mean smith machine?

I was able to hit 275 as a 1RM over the summer but I haven't been able to make similar lifts during the school year.

In fact, I LOST strength ever since school started.

My hypothesis is that during the summer all I really did was do research and lift and smash so I could focus more on one thing. Now with school there are a lot more things on my mind so I'm not able to devote a lot of time into concentrating on lifting. Also, the atmosphere in my gym over the summer was A LOT different than my school gym, so that probably has an effect as well.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Either
A.) Youre taking in a full lung to make it look like youve got a huge chest
B.) You have a serious spinal defect, possibly lordosis
Either one is a problem
A. Nope was just standing with abs flexed, back straight and chest up. Kinda like how you're supposed to be for proper posture anyway but then again you can't believe everything you read concerning fitness ;)

B. As you can see, my spine is fine.

I attribute my chest to my long arms which probably makes it have to work harder for less weight than some people. Or the fact that I'm probably 40lbs overweight right now lmao. Besides.. these are before pictures..what are you going to say 16 weeks from now, that I photoshopped myself? Wait..don't answer that lol <.<;

By power rack do you mean smith machine?

I was able to hit 275 as a 1RM over the summer but I haven't been able to make similar lifts during the school year.

My hypothesis is that during the summer all I really did was do research and lift and smash so I could focus more on one thing. Now with school there are a lot more things on my mind so I'm not able to devote a lot of time into concentrating on lifting. Also, the atmosphere in my gym over the summer was A LOT different than my school gym, so that probably has an effect as well.

Yeah a Smith Machine. Mental concentration might be down from not getting enough sleep, and or everything going on with school. Regardless you may just not have as much energy to lift with as you did in summer.

Or sometimes it's an all mental thing. A few months ago I lifted 385 for deadlift once and the lift felt really good. Not easy but not like I was going to die after lol and then afterwards coming back to it from a few week hiatus I could barely get 315. It was weird. I have no problem anymore with that lift anyway, but I think it's something you have to work through. With weight training you do half the lifting with your mind I think and it's pushing past that mental wall that says you can't is what allows us to take that next step up.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

I can vouch for this. When school started I started to skip days when big tests come on by. Also, our gyms got renovated, so it became 100x more crowded once people returned for the school year. I'm usually not one for school johns, but when you skip 1-2 hours of lifting per day to study that much more, it really does add up. Also, getting sick adds to the weakness factor. On my second regimen of abx >.>

Attila_

BRoomer
During school I'm fine, but during the exam period, these things happen. Not too much you can do but try to keep focussed.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I don't skip workouts during school, even in exam times. There are some weeks were I switch things up a bit, but I always get the same amount of days a week.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I started my running schedule this week and yesterday was my second day back running. There was a bit of slight pain or pressure but toweards the end of the second lap, it went away. It feels good to get back into running again.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I had to skip workouts all week cause I had 4 finals and a quiz. Now I'm done with school and can resume. Also need to get my diet and sleep schedule on track.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
First time I was able to get a pump in my biceps in a while. I've been out of good equipment for a while, so I've been trying to get by on curling 40s, but I plateaued on them. I was able to do a superset of neutral grip pull-ups and pyramids of 50, to 45 to 40 and I finally got a good pump after like 3 months. I've been able to get it in my legs, back, triceps and everywhere else, but my biceps and forearms were just obstinate.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I've been lifting some weights sporadically, and can tell I've gotten toner and stronger.

However I want some muscle mass though, would increasing the amount being lifted be enough?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I've been lifting some weights sporadically, and can tell I've gotten toner and stronger.

However I want some muscle mass though, would increasing the amount being lifted be enough?
You'll get what're called newbie gains at first, which is the result of a decrease in neuromuscular inhibition, so for the first few months, you'll notice a marginal size increase. From there though, it takes a good amount of time and regimenting.

Increasing weight is one way to do it, but no two people agree on what the best mass-building methods are. Some say high-weight, medium reps. Others say medium-weight, high-reps. The former insists that high-weight puts enough stress on the muscle to induce hypertrophy, and the latter insists that only what is required to stress the muscle for longer periods of time is needed. I personally subscribe to the former.

A general rule of thumb to lift by though, is to always make sure you can do at least 6 reps with the weight you're using, otherwise you're wasting your time. If you can go higher than 14, you're not stressing the muscle enough. To build mass effectively beyond those "newbie gains," you gotta stick to a stringent diet with a lot of diverse, lean protein sources and keep to a consistent schedule of lifting. Another crucial bit of information is to look up what exercises use what muscles as synergists, stabilizers and primaries. That's the hardest part, I think, 'cause a lot of compound exercises use a wide range of muscles. For instance, you wouldn't wanna do pull-ups one day, then triceps the next, as the triceps are stressed and not fully recovered. Another good thing to do is not work two close muscle groups on the same day, as one exercise will interfere with your ability to perform to your max in the other, e.g. chest and biceps. If you bench before curling, it'll affect your curl.

It's a lot to take in, but it's all vital to know. A good to find info on's called Exrx.com. It has a ton of solid information on it. One last thing to note, is that when doing sets, always lift to failure (lift until the affected muscle just can't pump anything else out) and make sure to always keep strict form when lifting, which is deceptively difficult. Always focus on contracting the target muscle, and not compromising your posture/using momentum to compensate for the target muscle's inability to lift a certain amount of weight. If you're doing military presses, focus on lifting with your shoulders and not arching your back, etc. You'll know you're doing a good job if after a set or two, you feel that "pump" I was talking about in my previous post. The "pump" is the feeling when a given muscle feels enlarged, hot and as though the skin around it is tight.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

Imo if you're more or less just starting out or are begining to be more serious about it, building a nice strength base with the big 3 or at least 2 of the big 3 (I personally hate squats and you can get alot of your legs in with deadlift), will get you the most out of this initial growth you're experiencing.

Barbell Bench, Dead-lift and Squat; these three lifts are all about intensely heavy weight that will make you stronger. Especially if you're still making beginner gains. Have a knowledgeable buddy or someone at your gym explain anything you don't know on these three and help you with spotting at least on bench.

These are all compound exercises that will build you up pretty evenly at least to start with. You can add isolation moves once you've gotten a good grasp on the fundamentals and have a strong base and developed muscle to work with.

I just started a mass building routine but it requires you to know your 1 rep max for those 3 lifts above. I could post it here or pm it to you if you want but if I were you I would start with those three first and come back to specializing later.

You know what actually I'll just post what I'm doing right now and everyone can see what they think of it. ^^;

MONDAY:
Deadlift- *
Pull through 3 sets 20 reps
Seated Leg Curl 2 sets 10 reps
Calf Raise 4 sets 25 reps

TUESDAY:
Bench press-*
Incline Bench press 4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps
Dip 4 sets 15,12,10,8 reps
Standing Military Press 3 sets 10,8,6 reps
Front/lateral/bent db raise 3 super sets of 30 reps

WEDNESDAY:
Heavy dumbbell row 2 sets 20 reps
Chin up 50 total
T-bar Row 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 reps
Lat pull down 4 sets of 15,12,10,8 reps
Barbell shrug 2 sets of 20 reps

FRIDAY:
Squat-*
Leg Press 4 sets of 15,12,10,8 reps
Front squat 2 sets of 20 reps
Walking Lunge 2 sets of 30 steps
calf raise 4 sets of 25 reps

SATURDAY:
Close grip bench press 3 sets of 10,8,6 reps
Skull crusher 3 sets of 15,12,10 reps
Cable pushdowns 3sets of 15,12,10 reps
Bench dips 3 sets of 20 reps
E-Z bar curl 3 sets of 15,12,10 reps
Preacher curl 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps
Dumbell incline curl 3 sets of 15,12,10 reps
Dumbell spider curl 3 sets of 20 reps

Warmups everyday include elliptical cardio and K-bell swings and snatches.
Core work at the end of every other workout.

* -5 sets x 5 reps at descending % of 1 rep max.

16 week program broken into 4 week intervals with every 4th week being a de-load week with less weight and more reps on the main lifts. Increasing the percentages as a whole at the start of each new interval.

I don't wanna post all the % unless someone wants them but it depending on which of the 3 it is it starts out at 80-85% and goes down to 75-70% by the end of the 5 sets. By week 15 it gets as high as 92% of your 1rep max from when you started. Then after week 16 you can find your new 1RM and start over or do something else.

I've had a hell of a chest cold the past several days put a real hamper on this just gonna start over this monday.

Attila_

BRoomer
Tbh, high weight medium reps shouldn't be possible.

High weight should force you towards low reps, since the weight is so heavy, you can only lift it a few times (<5).

Normally agreed mass gaining numbers are 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets, lifting a weight that facilitates fatigue within these limits. While this is obviously a guideline, and everyone varies slightly, it's a great place for beginners to start.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Tbh, high weight medium reps shouldn't be possible.

High weight should force you towards low reps, since the weight is so heavy, you can only lift it a few times (<5).

Normally agreed mass gaining numbers are 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets, lifting a weight that facilitates fatigue within these limits. While this is obviously a guideline, and everyone varies slightly, it's a great place for beginners to start.

Well, I think it's just a disparity in terms. What you're referring to, I think, is max weight or 90-95% of max. When I say high, I'm referring to about 80%. When you're maxing out or coming close, then yeah, <5. I think around the 75-80% mark is where people should be able to perform adequate reps, for most things anyway.

I'm just pedantic about the details between rep numbers and weight percentages. :laugh:

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Yes but if you are consistent with the program, by the time you get to doing the very high percentages, you're old 1RM will no longer be your 1RM lol which is why at the end of the program (16 weeks) you are supposed to find your new 1RM for each of those lifts.

The precentages decrease as you progress through the sets making it possible for you to complete all your reps.

So for example on week 1 you will do 5 stes Deadlift, Bench and Squat at each of these percentages of your 1RM:

5x80%,77.5%,75%, 72.5%, 70%

Then by week 15 you will be doing the same three lifts at these percentages:
5x 92.5%, 90%, 87.5%, 85%, and then 82.5%

Also I'd like to point out that this would not in any way be a beginner's program imo if that's what you were implying. A little confused on what exactly you were talking about there. Beginner's should focus solely on compound lifts and getting the basics down. Isolation moves can come in later once a strong base of strength has been formed.

Does that clear things up a little?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Who're you addressing, Sonic? I was just making a personal distinction between the terminology of "medium" that I used in regards to what Shmot said.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Who're you addressing, Sonic? I was just making a personal distinction between the terminology of "medium" that I used in regards to what Shmot said.
Sorry I wasn't clear either I guess. I was talking to Schmot. I was agreeing with you and clarifying the program a little bit.

You probz need a waxing if you ask me...
If you're talking to me then yeah maybe if I move to Cali, and lose 40 lbs..and get noticed by some director or fitness magazine and get put in a movie, or on a cover..or something lol If not then no.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Thinking of not signing up for a gym over winter break. Since I usually do strength routines...any tips for something along those lines with just my body weight or is it not possible?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord

etecoon

Smash Hero
you can get pretty strong with calisthenics but it helps to at least have a pull-up bar, you can get one that will fit standard door frames for pretty cheap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCwz2sDc24

I think if this dude were paralyzed from the waist down he could still outrun me on crutches...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Your last statement reminds me of a track runner who uses prosthetic legs I believe. He's done well for himself.

And thanks for the links!

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Wow thanks for the input guys.

Good stuff Verm, I'll look further into it. You're right I'm still most likely in the beginner phase of gains. Diet will probably be my downfall, I have an insane metabolism which generally allows me to eat anything, should try to cut the junk out and get more protein :)

That's an interesting routine you got there Super Sonic, how long would it take on average to complete a days worth? Rest periods?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Wow thanks for the input guys.

Good stuff Verm, I'll look further into it. You're right I'm still most likely in the beginner phase of gains. Diet will probably be my downfall, I have an insane metabolism which generally allows me to eat anything, should try to cut the junk out and get more protein :)

That's an interesting routine you got there Super Sonic, how long would it take on average to complete a days worth? Rest periods?
Actually it's pretty easy to eat more protein. Just add cheese to more things, and eat more meat.

If you're going work to failure I'd definately say get a protein shake or an equivalent because it'll take forever to recover otherwise.

Edit:

Actually I'd say working to failure isn't a good idea if you're busy. I work 5 days a week and muscle aches is fine if my day consists of Xbox, but at work it'd be a handicap. You should do it occasionally but not all the time, especially if you're busy.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Actually it's pretty easy to eat more protein. Just add cheese to more things, and eat more meat.

If you're going work to failure I'd definately say get a protein shake or an equivalent because it'll take forever to recover otherwise.

Edit:

Actually I'd say working to failure isn't a good idea if you're busy. I work 5 days a week and muscle aches is fine if my day consists of Xbox, but at work it'd be a handicap. You should do it occasionally but not all the time, especially if you're busy.

Well, it kind of depends. If you don't life to failure, you'll get very minimal results. Soreness shouldn't be a deterrent from working to your max, as soreness goes away within 3 minutes or so of light exercise. I had mega-sore quads, hams and glutes the day of moving 200+ heavy boxes and pieces of furniture to a new house, but I was only sore for about 5 minutes until I started getting blood flow. If you're just talking about general discomfort, that's the price one has to pay to get stronger. :p

As for proper protein, it's unfortunately pretty tough, within the framework of most goals that justify the effort invested. Diverse proteins, clean carbs and a nigh severance of simple carbs and high-fat foods. I do agree with the shakes though. Whey is always an easy 26-32 grams. For me personally, it's a Godsend, since my size (6'3"/6'4", 215lbs) necessitates 200+ grams a day.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Still I'd say don't work to failure if you have anything to do the next day. I don't have work till Thursday, so I worked to failure tonight because I'll have had a day and 2 sleeps to recover.

Attila_

BRoomer
i used to eat about 150 grams of protein a day.

digestive issues.

cut down to about 100 grams.

no digestive issues. lean gains. dropped body fat.

everyone wins :D

Top Bottom