• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey guys, this has been on my mind recently: I've been running at noon with 95°F to 102°F degree weather and have been drenched in sweat. When running, is it better to keep running in that weather to sweat and keep a pace or just run the route fast? Also, does running make you gain muscles...like leg or thigh or foot muscle? I've gained weight but my intake of food has been the same and nothing that should incease it so I'm hoping that weight gain can come from running/gaining "possible muscle".
Unless you're training to run a marathon, I don't see a point in running in the heat. The idea would be for you to get used to it, which can also make it easier for you to run under cooler temperatures. Really, all that sweat you drip would result in you losing water weight.

If you try to run your route fast, you're essentially going for high interval training, which is instrumental in fat loss and increasing your short distance run speed. Keeping your own pace is geared more towards long term endurance and will not burn fat off as much.

From what I understand, cardio of extreme magnitude would be bad for muscle development. By that, I mean if you're looking to get "bigger". There's a reason why runners, soccer players, etc are of thinner builds compared to other athletes. I don't know if you recently started your regime, but it might be your beginner's/temporary gains before you it starts sliding off.

Jane

Smash Hero
i worked out for the first time in about 2 weeks and my god have i been hungry. its awesome. im eating like a monster every hour.

would you guys recommend eating a protein shake for breakfast? probably along with other foods as well but like, is there anything wrong with protein shake in the morn?

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah of course. i always eat at least a banana with my shake, if not more. but yeah i think im gonna start doing that.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I used to mix protein with my oats.

Can't remember why I stopped actually; I suppose casein is pretty expensive.

:phone:

Bazz

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys, I recently joined the forum, and i am surprised and very happy to see an active fitness thread on these boards. It is good to see that you guys care about staying Fit and healthy! I am a player in Granbury TX. I recently turned 20 and am an Independent Beachbody Coach. If you ever had questions about those P90X or Insanity infomercials you have probably seen on T.V, i'm your man to ask ;)

I started my Journey Last January With P90X. Before i started i was 180 pounds and 17.5 percent body fat. After 8 months and a round of P90X, Insanity, and Insanity the Asylum, i am down to 155 pounds, and 10 percent body fat. I am currently working on a second round of the asylum, then plan to start a 90 day hybrid of P90X+/Insanity, Then either move on the the asylum volume 2 or P90X2. it has been an amazing road, and i feel like a new man compared to January.

Here Is My Transformation Pic. The first 90 Days are from my first round of p90X, and day 145 is my most recent pic, which was taken after i completed Insanity.
I am now in even better shape. and i tell you, it has been worth every penny :D

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I prefer your day 90 look, but whatever makes you happy!

That's still a fantastic transition well done.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I agree with Teran. I think the 90 day look has a lot more definition overall.

In other news, I'm gonna start lifting at school tomorrow. Gonna do a variant of Ripptoe's SS

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT.
Optional: Cable rows, 3x8 bicep work, 3x8 rear delt flyes, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry

B
Front squat 3x5
OH Press 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: 15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work

Gonna try to get five days a week in, because I'm still skinny as ****, and my body fat percentage is 20%

I'm gonna try to get that at least to 15 by the summer.

Only issue? I don't know what a SUPER STRICT row is or what an OH Press is. Help?

In addition to the above, I plan to do sprints as follows:

Note that this will be on treadmill

5 x 10 yards (rest 15 seconds in between)
4 x 20 yards (rest 30 seconds in between)
3 x 30 yards (rest 60 seconds in between)
2 x 40 yards (rest 90 seconds in between)
1 x 50 + yards if the hill is long enough

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
OH press is overhead press.

No idea what a SUPER STRICT row is.

Have you ever lifted before? I'll assume that you haven't.

If you follow your plan, with the gym 5 days a week with sprints, YOU'RE GOING TO BURN OUT AFTER YOUR FIRST WEEK

Starting Strength has you adding weight EVERY WORKOUT. This is going to catch up to you really fast.

YOUR BODY NEEDS THE REST

Do it 3 days a week like it says. Take those days in between off. Throw in a sprint session on an off day or as a warm up. 3 times a week is more than enough for SS.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I am gonna go with day 90 as my personal preference as well. Just prefer to ideally have some meat if I were getting myself into ideal shape.

Bazz

Smash Rookie
I think it has to do with the camera angle and lighting . I have more muscle mass in the latter picture than in day 90 actually, if i were to have taken the 145 picture at the same distance and in the same lighting, it would be easier to tell.

Needless to say, I am most happy with the energy and stamina gain i have seen from this. It is really night and day from what i used to be.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Unless you're training to run a marathon, I don't see a point in running in the heat. The idea would be for you to get used to it, which can also make it easier for you to run under cooler temperatures. Really, all that sweat you drip would result in you losing water weight.

If you try to run your route fast, you're essentially going for high interval training, which is instrumental in fat loss and increasing your short distance run speed. Keeping your own pace is geared more towards long term endurance and will not burn fat off as much.

From what I understand, cardio of extreme magnitude would be bad for muscle development. By that, I mean if you're looking to get "bigger". There's a reason why runners, soccer players, etc are of thinner builds compared to other athletes. I don't know if you recently started your regime, but it might be your beginner's/temporary gains before you it starts sliding off.
Oh...so running in the heat doesn't have any benefits then.

Oh, I see. I'll change up my routine to high interval training then as it seems in the direction I currently want to go. Thanks!

Personally, I am not trying to get "bigger", I guess "cut" might be the word I'm looking for but I would just like to have a couple muscles. Actually, I've been running for 7 months now. There was a small break between month 3 when I had to refrain from all physical activities due to my surgery but I haven't stopped since then. I run 3-4 times a week. For example, I ran yesterday but didn't ran today but will tomorrow.

Actually, I want to be like Bazz on day 90.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You might wanna look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). I did it for a bit and it was killer. Basically, warm up on a treadmill, run all out for 15- 30 seconds, then jog/walk for a minute or two, then sprint all out for 15-30 seconds, and repeat. Definitely geared towards fat loss.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Awesome, I'll look into it but what if you don't have a treadmill? At the moment, I am not currently attending a gym till later this month. I can't wait to go back to the gym.

Hopefully, I can start HIIT sometime this week. Would you advise doing it in the day? I picked night classes for my fall term and I can only run before 3 P.M since I don't get out till 11:00 P.M on weekdays.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You don't need a treadmill. I was just describing how I went about it. Though I would suggest something that's open so you can sprint, walk, sprint, repeat.

You know what? This guy explains it better than me. Just follow this guy's instructions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

On another note, be sure to maintain a healthy diet. Since you are looking to cut fat, understand you're gonna lose weight. So in a sense, you will have to be sure to not eat too much while doing this. I'd suggest googling a diet plan during HIIT phases.

And on my personal note, I'm surprised I barely lost any of my vertical jump after coming off fasting. Woot.

Parasol

Smash Cadet
How neat of a thread. I'll probably poke my head in every now and then. (I did do a push-up as the topic start demanded, so does that mean I get a cookie?)

I'm not a part of a gym or any workout program, although I probably should look into something. I know I do have a goal, and it's to gain some muscle mass. I'm not dead skinny, but I could be bigger, and I'm at a good age (18) to capitalize on that. For starters, I'd like to ask you guys which nutritional shakes or bars or whatever would be best to help me gain weight. Right now I'm taking EAS Protein shakes (the only bearable tasting protein I've come across), and I wonder if I'm on a good route with it.

I have heard of P90X, but taking a look at Bazz's transformation picture (well done, by the way), it seems to just have focused on leaning down instead of bulking up. Are pure body-weight programs like P90X and Insanity what I should be striving for, or should I focus on lifting weights and such? Any advice would be helpful. Keep it up, fellas!

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I guess it depends on your body type.
I am a chunky man, I just want to get my body in shape so I am not so fat, so I am trying out Insanity which makes you sweat and is a lot of cardio.

genhutalla

Smash Rookie
Nice body you guys. I must congratulate our friend eighteen spikes for the great change in his body. I am sure that getting this body is as hard as keeping it in shape.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
You don't need a treadmill. I was just describing how I went about it. Though I would suggest something that's open so you can sprint, walk, sprint, repeat.

You know what? This guy explains it better than me. Just follow this guy's instructions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

On another note, be sure to maintain a healthy diet. Since you are looking to cut fat, understand you're gonna lose weight. So in a sense, you will have to be sure to not eat too much while doing this. I'd suggest googling a diet plan during HIIT phases.

And on my personal note, I'm surprised I barely lost any of my vertical jump after coming off fasting. Woot.
Well, I'm going to start HIIT tomorrow night. Getting sick delayed the start of it.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Nice body you guys. I must congratulate our friend eighteen spikes for the great change in his body. I am sure that getting this body is as hard as keeping it in shape.
Oh hey thank you :) first time checkin the thread in a long time and I see a nice compliment. I actually had some pretty invasive surgery on my lower back a couple months back and was laying in bed 23 hours a day for like 3 months, and unfortunately it had no effect on my appetite, so I gained like 30 pounds and now I'm way out of shape. Basically look like my before pic now :urg: trying to get back on that horse now!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Oh hey thank you :) first time checkin the thread in a long time and I see a nice compliment. I actually had some pretty invasive surgery on my lower back a couple months back and was laying in bed 23 hours a day for like 3 months, and unfortunately it had no effect on my appetite, so I gained like 30 pounds and now I'm way out of shape. Basically look like my before pic now :urg: trying to get back on that horse now!
You can do it, brotha!

Jane

Smash Hero
You can do it!
You are my inspiration to get back in shape.
Your before pic is basically what I look like on a good day.
got me curious to find said pictures, took me forever but at least the journey was enjoyable - read a bunch of good stuff posted in the thread from before i frequented.

also superbowser and shmot getting into it was lulz. i'd declare superbowser the winner. not like it really matters though :p

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
You can do it!
You are my inspiration to get back in shape.
Your before pic is basically what I look like on a good day.
Okay so I got like no sleep last night and was going to john out and wait til tomorrow to start working out, but you motivated me to start tonight :) let's get fit together! :pikachu2:

I did a quick little full body rust-shaker to knock the cobwebs out:
3x8 95 lb flat bench press
3x3 bw pullups
3x10 squats with 25lb plate at chest
3x15 second planks

It really showed me how out of shape I am... pullups used to be my favorite exercise and I could barely knock out 3 at a time. I used to do longer sets with 50 pounds strapped to my waist. My legs are sore as hell now, and I started trembling 2 seconds into each plank. But I gotta start somewhere :) I think tomorrow I will go for a bike ride. I also want to order some of that ON whey stuff, I tried some of a friend's, wow is it ever delicious.

I also don't have an actual scale but I fired up the ole wii and...

**** you too, Wii Fit.

According to it I am a smidge shy of 210 lbs. I'll be using it to keep track of my weight and try to give you guys some progress updates. And since nothing motivates me more than posting my doughy body on the internet for a bunch of strangers to see, here is my future "Before" pic:

check out that wicked potbelly. Can't wait to get back to the shape I was in pre-surgery..!

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I am doing the Insanity Fitness Workout.
I start at maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon, they're workouts are usually all cardio so what I decided to do was do the work out Tues-Sat and then Sunday and Monday push ups and maybe lifting.
I finished day 8 already.
Yay!
We can get fit together!

Also, since you had the guts to do it, I can post my heinous looking before photo.
Ugh I hate it.
View at your discretion.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Thanks Jane!
This is actually the first time I have forced myself to commit to this, usually I would start it, then quickly stop out of laziness.
Now I am actually motivated.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well I think it's time for my progress report.

Here's how I started after I forgot the importance of being ready for the main event brother.

Then after about a month it starts to get a little better

After 2 months much more ready brother

And today! I haven't been too conscientious recently, only doing enough to maintain rather than grow.

So there we have it, a short snapshot of my journey out of the cruiserweight division in to the main event.

Edit: I forgot the most important part!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Nice progress, Teran. The delt improvement is really noticeable :pikachu2: also having recently played mischief makers for the first time I finally understand your name/title after years of seeing it here.

Jane

Smash Hero
nice, teran. i want your bodytype. weight and height? i want to compare to what i am.

yesterday i ate cheerios with two cups of milk which were mixed with my protein powder. i'd say its a really good meal for basically anytime of the day (besides bedtime). here's the nutritional info (i made sure to get exact measurements):

two cups of 2% milk:
10g of fat, 6g of saturated fat
24g of carbs, all from sugar (lactose of course)
16g of protein

~one and a half cups of regular cheerios:
3g of fat
30g of carbs; 5g of fiber, 2g of sugar, 24g other carbs
5g of protein

and finally a serving of my protein powder (optimum nutrition whey):
1.5g of fat, .5 saturated fat
4g of carbs, 1g of sugar
24g of protein

so in total, my cereal bowl had 14.5g of fat (6.5g of that being sat fat), 58g of carbs, and 47g of protein. total of about 590 calories. aww yeah. a little carb heavy but i dont mind, as long as its not from ****ty sources.

and since everyone is posting progress pictures, i may as well join you guys. i've definitely lost some muscle tone :< but im going to try really hard to get back on schedule. school johns and such. but with the proper time management i know i can handle it all, i just have to stop being so wasteful with my time.

sure wish i would have been blessed with a booty ;(

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Height: 5'9"/175cm
Weight: 139lb/63kg

I'm very light, a lot lighter than I look.

Jane

Smash Hero
actually you're pretty much at my goal. i want to get to 140lbs, and i'm also an inch shorter than you so it'll probably make me look ever so slightly bulkier than you. i'm somewhere between 125 and 130lbs at the moment. good to know that i can probably achieve your bodytype in a reasonable amount of time. like 6-8 months i'm shooting for? so may at the latest. that'd be great.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I was curious, what is everyone's motivation?
Mine is so I can finally fit into cute clothes that I see in Guess stores.
I swear, they make everything 2 sizes too small on purpose.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
My motivation is to be physically ready for the P.O.S.T (Peace Officers Standards and Training) Academy classes and the P.O.S.T Academy itself. It wouldn't look good if the new sheriff can't run more than a simple mile or fit out his uniform. My friend pointed that one out.

Top Bottom