• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So pull ups are much easier, noticed my legs got really good awfully quickly (either they're easy or my legs were always decent) and my general torso has increased. Been ignoring my abs as I concentrated on the rest of my body but they seem relatively unchanged, some basic crunches is keeping them the same it seems.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
@link: i remember when i took steroids to help my throat when i had mono but i only had to take them for a week or two so i didnt gain weight or anything.

Anyway as for losing weight, i am not an expert but it sounds like you will have to change your habits, if you cant help eating unhealthy snacks then try not to eat snacks at all. Go out running, learn to like some veggies or at least fruits b/c diet is half the battle, just try to eat better food not fast or fried food.

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Don't worry too much about vegetables and fruit. Just stop eating starchy snacks, and stop eating wheat. Eat fattier foods like nuts, cheese, meats like liverwurst/Bacon/roast beef. If you really want a salty snack, eat pork rinds.

Just keep your Carb intake between 90-110, and eat more fat and you'll lose weight, and stop being so hungry.

I would highly recommend a multi-vit, too.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Link360

Smash Cadet
I have no idea about the roids, I'm just going off of what others have suggested, but maybe my habits have changed, I haven't been as occupied or busy since school ended for the summer. I'm gonna try to keep my intake at 2000 calories since i have a BMR of 2500, and I'm gonna start running. I'm gonna attempt a treadmill mile to avoid working out in public, but I don't think i cam run straight for an hour yet. Any other good ideas for exercises other than the running to fill that hour of exercise I'm aiming for? Nothing crazy as I'm just getting back in shape, I'm pretty bad right now after all.

Jane

Smash Hero
lol, no way in hell you can run a straight hour. that **** is hard. try to do something like, run a minute, walk two minutes. adjust it to fit your abilities, but try to stay consistent. the reason for doing that is so that you dont "cheat" yourself by walking way more than you should. if you have a rule, like the one i just outlined, itll keep you from skimping yourself as well as push you to new limits. good luck

oh and also, i would say only run for 30 or 40 minutes at the start. since you lack motivation like you said, its important to set reachable goals. you cant just go from never running to running for an hour every day, it just doesnt work like that unless you had a sudden epiphany (which led to motivation. motivation is an extremely important aspect to fitness). and since youll be running on a treadmill, which is boring as **** imo, make sure its set up in front of a tv, or set up some music or something, itll help you get through the 30/40 minutes.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If you exercise and eat enough of everything you'll look and feel great.

Most of the super carb cutting is because of sedentary first world life. Just move your *** and you'll be okay Still, it's best to eat more slowly digested carbs than stuff with simple sugars, because having a constant stable blood sugar level is much healthier.

Blood sugar spikes that you get from quickly digested carbs cause your insulin levels to spike, then your blood sugar levels to crash, which in turn leaves you in a state of hypoglycemia which encourages fat storage. Also having lots of insulin rushes encourages the diabeetus when you grow older.

It's not about how much your carb intake is more than what kind it is.

Carbs are the preferred energy source, they shouldn't be neglected.

I don't know exactly who this is directed to, but I noticed low carb was encouraged and I was like nah buddy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place. I haven't lost much weight during Ramadan, but I have lost a lot of "gains" I made throughout the year. I also need to get my basketball endurance back. Is it possible to strength train, not put on much weight, AND increase endurance all at once?

And random note, anyone ever done "two-a-days"?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place. I haven't lost much weight during Ramadan, but I have lost a lot of "gains" I made throughout the year. I also need to get my basketball endurance back. Is it possible to strength train, not put on much weight, AND increase endurance all at once?

And random note, anyone ever done "two-a-days"?
You have muscle memory, getting back to where you were shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

Getting your former strength shouldn't take long, once you're there you don't have to work hard to maintain, and then you can work on endurance.

Tbh strength training does not build that much muscle mass, it's specific bodybuilding training that focuses on increased muscle hypertrophy that packs on the pounds and the muscles.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You have muscle memory, getting back to where you were shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

Getting your former strength shouldn't take long, once you're there you don't have to work hard to maintain, and then you can work on endurance.

Tbh strength training does not build that much muscle mass, it's specific bodybuilding training that focuses on increased muscle hypertrophy that packs on the pounds and the muscles.

Ah, just seems like every strength training method I've read requires me to eat alot (rippetoe and wsfsb).

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Re: steroids for mono: I'm guessing the steroid in question was prednisone (or some similar corticosteroid). It can cause weight gain in the short term, like if you only use it for a couple weeks, due to increased appetite and increased water retention, but the weight will also melt off pretty quick after you stop taking it. Long-term use of corticosteroids does cause fat to build up, mostly around the gut and neck, and results in weight gain that way.

But yeah, definitely not the same as anabolic steroids.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Fat is actually a more efficient fuel source than Carbs. Carbs are really only necessary for repairing muscle post-workout, or pre-workout for super cardio-intense sessions.

Also, it CAN be balanced, if you aren't ********. If you are, take a multi, and it still solves potential nutrient deficiencies.

Link360

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all of the health everybody, starting as soon as I get back from vacation. Cutting out unhealthy snacking in favor of Postachios, yogurt, apples, oranges, and other healthy things I can stand for now. I like Jane's idea of running straight, and then taking walk breaks in between continuous running to elongate my workout. Do sit ups help in weight loss? I'm good at those, got 64 in a minute for my fitness test. I'm really just hoping I can stick with this and feel some results within a month or two.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Fat is actually a more efficient fuel source than Carbs. Carbs are really only necessary for repairing muscle post-workout, or pre-workout for super cardio-intense sessions.

Also, it CAN be balanced, if you aren't ********. If you are, take a multi, and it still solves potential nutrient deficiencies.
Gonna disagree with all of this.

Jane

Smash Hero
Thanks for all of the health everybody, starting as soon as I get back from vacation. Cutting out unhealthy snacking in favor of Postachios, yogurt, apples, oranges, and other healthy things I can stand for now. I like Jane's idea of running straight, and then taking walk breaks in between continuous running to elongate my workout. Do sit ups help in weight loss? I'm good at those, got 64 in a minute for my fitness test. I'm really just hoping I can stick with this and feel some results within a month or two.
sit ups will help to some degree, but what is way more important is getting your heart rate up for elongated periods of time in a healthy manner (also know as... exercise!). sit ups will only really help if you do them regularly and consistently, preferably with other upper and lower body workouts mixed in.

and diet. diet is super important as well.

and for the record: wheat is amazing.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Explain why before you start a fight. :p
but if i start arguing, then they'll argue back, and then i'd feel compelled to continue.

it would end up eating a large chunk of time, and probably wouldnt get anywhere anyway.

so i'll just advise people to do genuine research on the topic, and go back to eating a balanced diet with plenty of carbs :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ah, just seems like every strength training method I've read requires me to eat alot (rippetoe and wsfsb).

Well eating a lot does increase the speed of your gains in some senses, and it certainly increases the rate of muscle growth, but you can still achieve great strength with compact muscles.

Also, no steroid discussion because steroids are considered illegal drugs in most countries. Also especially no links for where to get them. ¬__¬

As for fat, it is more caloric per gram but carbohydrates are the body's preferred energy source. I kinda like, had to study this in my degree. x__x

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer

I disagree.

Repeating what Teran said: fat does contain more energy per gram than carbs, but that doesn't mean it's a better energy source. The body primarily uses fat for long-term energy storage. Carbohydrates are the body's go-to source of energy. If the body is running short on carbs, it will start to break down fats, and if it starts to run short on fat, it will eventually break down proteins.

Carbs do not repair muscle. Proteins repair muscle. Carbs give you energy for the workout.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Right because I'd take the word of Google over my university professors and peer reviewed studies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In defense of Google Scholar, you can find articles and research on there that are taken from Academic Journals. However, you are more inclined to believe one more than the other if you're in the field and have more experience.

Jane

Smash Hero
so i want to start tracking/being more strict on my diet. i'm looking to put on weight, through muscle mass of course. i want to keep a dietary journal. anyone know of any good websites, or have any tips for that sort of thing?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Well there's Fitocrazy.

Did that ever get good? I just use the Evernote app on my phone.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Pecs seem to change so much slower than other muscles.

Also I think this makes a year of working out now if I recall correctly. I'd say I'm proud of myself but I still have ages to go to get to my ideal stage.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I want in on this club. Couple problems: I'm broke and I have a super fast metabolism. Any cost effective way of eating properly and getting the recommended exercise without Gym access?
Do you have a specific goal in mind? Beef up? Lose fat? Just remain the same, but just look like you've been hitting the gym?

etecoon

Smash Hero
assuming weight loss isn't an objective from "super fast metabolism"

you can build some decent upper body strength with nothing more than a pull up bar(like $20 for a door mounted bar). weights are really ideal for lower body work but if your situation demands minimalist equipment do bodyweight squats at least, squats, push ups, and pull ups and their variations would be the biggest exercises to focus on with little equipment

Top Bottom