• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I haven't been able to run for 6 months, so now I hate on it ;)

But seriously few things are more satisfying than a hard sprint session.

:phone:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Running is my favorite activity. I enjoy concentrating on speed, but distance is another fun part of it. It feels good to run from my house and just go places far away from it. The weather can often times be an added bonus if the sky is marvelously gorgeous, but then again temperature can ruin a good run, such as excessive heat.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Itg without bracketing and bar is the best cardio.

Prove me wrong.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
It's how I got started (Yay DDR <3).

I do enjoy a short run/jog too though.

Used to love swimming a lot more, but I prefer the adrenaline kick and sweat from running these days.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Swimming and kicking are my favorites. I hate running just because I find it boring. Swimming and kicking require a bit of technique, so trying to keep form is entertaining enough to pass the time. Cardio definitely is the most important though, which I'm sure no one's ever heard before wrg9-bh0-hbrprnponb-n9hnr4 times before. To give some perspective on this, every first-time boxer I've seen go into the ring lasts about 25 seconds before they're ready to forfeit due to fatigue. Fights are 90% about who can last longer. Being able to bench 400lbs isn't gonna do you a whole lot of good when that power only lasts for 10 seconds.

Which brings up an interesting topic: what're you guys' training principles? As in, what do keep in mind when training/strive for? For instance, I keep Kung Fu in mind, so I prefer high-intensity cardio like kicking, a lot of calisthenics and stretching.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Swimming and kicking are my favorites. I hate running just because I find it boring. Swimming and kicking require a bit of technique, so trying to keep form is entertaining enough to pass the time. Cardio definitely is the most important though, which I'm sure no one's ever heard before wrg9-bh0-hbrprnponb-n9hnr4 times before. To give some perspective on this, every first-time boxer I've seen go into the ring lasts about 25 seconds before they're ready to forfeit due to fatigue. Fights are 90% about who can last longer. Being able to bench 400lbs isn't gonna do you a whole lot of good when that power only lasts for 10 seconds.

Which brings up an interesting topic: what're you guys' training principles? As in, what do keep in mind when training/strive for? For instance, I keep Kung Fu in mind, so I prefer high-intensity cardio like kicking, a lot of calisthenics and stretching.
I pretty much train entirely for aesthetics, I'm not even mad.

Jane

Smash Hero
i train for aesthetics, to become a better dodgeball and basketball player, and to one day soon start tricking again so i always keep my legs and flexibility in mind.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've always been modest, so I never train for the ladies xD. My two personal goals are just overall health benefits and to improve myself as a basketball player.

So with that being said, I generally go for strength training and exercises that generally require me to "explode" so I can apply it to the sport I play.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I've not posted here for a while, not because I've stopped, in fact I've actually upped my work out, it's just that I don't post much on smashboards anymore outside the Light House.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Hey can I get some advice guys?

Over the past month and a half-ish I've been lifting weights and doing cardio. 45 minutes of lifting and 15 doing cardio (I do this everyday).

Now after starting to lift I always feel hungry. (Before when I was only doing cardio I was able to keep a pretty low calorie diet and felt pretty full all the time.) I am sticking to my macros for the most part but I still feel like I am gaining weight. Should I change up my work out regiment to do less weight lifting and more cardio? Or less frequency of lifting ie: M-W-F instead of everyday?

Any advice would be a blessing =)

Jane

Smash Hero
in regards to lifting/bodybuilding in general, its almost always better to do it every other day. your muscles need time to rebuild, and by working out every single day you're actually stunting your muscle growth.

you're trying to lose weight? or just lose fat? i think youre starting to get hungrier simply because your muscles are getting bigger and in turn, your body needs more calories per day. even just to sit and watch TV, now that you're living a more active lifestyle, your body will require more calories just to do normal daily operations.

my suggestion to you is to first, start lifting on MWF. if youre only doing 15 minutes of cardio, then its ok to do cardio every day, but if you start increasing duration/intensity of your cardio, the optimal thing to do would be to do your cardio on tues/thurs/sat. secondly, you need to increase your protein consumption. UNLESS your goal is to literally be skinny RATHER THAN being lean with muscles. if you want to just straight up be skinnier, i would say stop lifting and just start running daily. but i would guess you would rather be lean and muscley. so in that case, just start eating more protein. dairy products, peanut butter, turkey, chicken, and egg whites are all wholesome sources of protein. eating enough protein is almost as important as hitting the gym. and of course, protein powder after a workout is always recommended because it is absorbed quickly by the body at the time when it needs protein the most.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Thank you so much Jane for your input! More or less I'm just trying to get rid of fat over weight. I honestly need to up my protein. Today at work I ate oats, a banana, a PBnJ on whole grain bread, a whole grain bagel ,and like 5 mini Reese's. My protein consumption for the day is almost non existent leading up to my gym visit. I ate some chicken and drank protein before I went to the gym. Then ate a pork chop and some steamed veggies.

Also I am still very OCD when it comes to weighing myself. I ignorantly weigh myself at the end of the day =(. I really need to chill because I know this constant weighing of myself is only adding stress and making it even harder to get healthier.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Eat more saturated fat and yyou'll be.less hungry.

Also.remember that working out will make you hungry, too. Limit.your Carb intake to post workout, and increase your fat/protein intake. You'll eat less food, and be more satisfied for a longer period of time.

Your weight will fluctuate several lbs in a single day. Do yourself a favor and ignore the scale. Instead, measure yourself with calipers on a weekly basis and track your inches.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
^ Thanks man! I totally agree. I have been bumping up my fat/protein intake and have seen vast improvements in weight control.

I actually had discipline and waited an entire week before I weighed myself and lost 3 lbs in a week after of eating food I wanted.

Education is definitively one of the most important things in being healthy.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Eating is really rather delicious, it can be a little difficult in some instances due to having more raw ingredients thus having to cook more etc, but taste definitely isn't a barrier.

The whole "if it tastes good it's bad for you" idea is a nonsenical myth.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How often do you guys weigh yourself? B/c i see people talking about scales often in this thread. I ask b/c i never weigh myself since i know i am still a long way from where i want to be so weighing myself wont show me anything i dont already know from looking in a mirror.

Edit: and i dont really care how much i weigh as long as i look good and feel/know i am in good shape

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I like to weigh myself every Monday because it's the start of my workout cycle. They say you should lose about a pound or 2 each week so I weigh to see if that's true and apparently it is =)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Couple times a day (to factor in fluctuations).

There's a scale right there in the kitchen so it's not like I have to go out of my way to do it.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The best thing to do is not weigh yourself at all. Focus on measuring your body's dimensions. I would also keep track of vitals and body fat

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
We should buy meats at Queen Vic Market and do a BBQ at mine. ALL THE PROTEINS! <3

In regards to scales, I fluctuate from weighing myself three times a week, to weighing myself once a week or two. If I am having a downer of a week and my weight is creeping up on me, I tend to weigh myself less, as I end up getting fixated on numbers rather than my health, and take a break from it. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the loo as well.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The best thing to do is not weigh yourself at all. Focus on measuring your body's dimensions. I would also keep track of vitals and body fat

But the only thing that's really changing with me is muscle mass increase so weighing myself is a pretty good idea.

I don't have one of those special body composition scales so weighing will do, not really bothered to put tape around my chest and arms etc,

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That's great, but I'm fine with what I've got.

I measure weight mostly out of curiosity, I don't need to actually watch it or my dimensions because I'm not trying to get in shape or maintain any semblance of health, since I am perfectly in shape and always have been.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do you mean food or dessert? o.o

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Your dedication, and willpower is ***. You should really focus on not cheating to really work on your weightloss so you can eat the delicious foods later.

Maybe ask him to make delicious foods that are within your diet?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I started last September at:

Weight: 240lbs
Waist: 46 inches
Hips: 48 inches
Neck: 20 inches
Wrist: 10 inches
Forearm: 16 inches
Bodyfat: 40%

As of this morning I am:

Weight: 162lbs
Waist: 33 1/2 inches
Hips: 36 inches
Neck: 12 inches
Wrist: 6 inches
forearm: 9 1/2 inches
Body fat: 19.22%

I'm 5'4 1/2.

I may post some before and after pictures, soon.

Gotta find a good before picture.

Link360

Smash Cadet
I'm 15 years old, 6 feet and 3 inches tall, and I went from 240 to 255 because of some steroids I had to take to help heal my Mono, and I'd like to at least get back to 240, if not lower. Can somebody help me figure out a way for me to achieve this goal? I feel very lazy and like I can never change my eating habits, I'm not one for veggies and whenever I snack it's like eating a full meal, a very unhealthy full meal. Help and motivation would be great!

Top Bottom