• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
2 weeks till I start fasting from sun up to sun down for a month. Gonna have to figure something out so I don't turn into skin and bones and lose all my gains.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
2 weeks till I start fasting from sun up to sun down for a month. Gonna have to figure something out so I don't turn into skin and bones and lose all my gains.
Fasting for half a day for a month will slow your metabolism and drain your energy. If you don't have much body fat, your body will catabolize muscle to sustain itself after a long enough period of time. I think I'm preaching to the choir saying this, but your body needs a constant intake of protein since it can't store it. So, needless to say, fasting half a day, then stuffing your face won't do much good.

Though, I will comment that I respect fasting a lot. Religious conviction, if you don't mind my asking?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Fasting for half a day for a month will slow your metabolism and drain your energy. If you don't have much body fat, your body will catabolize muscle to sustain itself after a long enough period of time. I think I'm preaching to the choir saying this, but your body needs a constant intake of protein since it can't store it. So, needless to say, fasting half a day, then stuffing your face won't do much good.

Though, I will comment that I respect fasting a lot. Religious conviction, if you don't mind my asking?
Yeah, I'm Muslim. Ramadan will be starting in about 2 weeks from now, so I'm trying to find something I can do to reduce my losses. In previous years, it's taken me anywhere from a month or a bit more to get back to normal.

I currently have about 15-18% BF. So obviously, that's not gonna help me going into this. Normally, I'd eat early in the morning (4:30 am), and then not eat again until 8:30 pm.

I was thinking, that if I do any exercises, it will be just indoors, in my room just using my body weight. I don't think going to the gym will be much of a good idea. Diet...well honestly, I was just thinking of stuffing myself with anything with just making sure protein manages to hit about .75 to 1.0 grams of my lean body weight.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know this will be really hard since Ramadan has moved over into the summer months, but I imagine you'll be doing Fajr prayer anyway right?

In which case if you can get some, I recommend casein protein shake before the sun rises. Usually people take casein before bed to stop amino acids dropping very low during the long fast that is sleep, but since you'll be fasting during a long portion of the day, you may want to consider it as it will keep a good trickle of amino acids going into your blood for the whole period, so you won't lose as much mass.

Good luck with the fasting by the way.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'll be waking up prior to Fajr (or staying up lol), and eating what I can. Normally, I struggle a lot to eat during breakfast, but assuming I do stay up, it won't be so bad.

And yeah, I will definitely be making a casein protein purchase sometime next week.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yeah, I'll be waking up prior to Fajr (or staying up lol), and eating what I can. Normally, I struggle a lot to eat during breakfast, but assuming I do stay up, it won't be so bad.

And yeah, I will definitely be making a casein protein purchase sometime next week.
One if my friend passed out in the bathroom during Ramadan a few years back. Just don't end up like that. :p

:phone:

joeplicate

Smash Master
damn u tai

i failed squatting 240 on monday, and the gym was closed for 4th of july, so i decided to take an off-week and ima start back up on monday. been stressing over moving and **** but that's all over now, hopefully sleeping and everything will be easier, as i'll be worrying less

i realized my form is pretty crappy. i tried going far down on squats, and i ripped a BIG FART LMFAO. i couldn't control it cuz i was laughing too hard, and i had to set it down on the pins. also failed my 5th set, which i was kinda bummed over. the bars were too low, so i had to scrunch a little to get out from underneath the weight, but at least now i know what setting i need the safety pins to be on =|

my form sucksss on shoulder press, too. i wasn't trying to shrug up the weight at all (you're supposed to shrug your shoulders like you're trying to bring them too your ears), leaning too far back, etc etc.

UGH

gotta stick wit it though
i'm gonna rock climb/slack line once or twice this weekend for exercise then back on monday

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seems like Tee, you, and I are all in the similar weight range for squatting.

One thing that has been bothering me also dating back to a little over week and half is that I may have strained or done something to my lower back. Was lifting a 45 lb DB from the ground, when it accidentally hit against the bench I was sitting on. Caused me to lose my balance a bit, and felt my back pinch a bit. Hasn't been the same since.

Luckily, I could still do squats today.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
That's really weird, guess you should see a sports physio or something.
I've seen a bunch of professionals about it, but it's pretty complicated, and no one has been particularly helpful.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's slowly getting better, but it's taking an incredibly long time.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Damn.

Well hopefully it recovers successfully and it's not one of those super nagging injuries that never goes away...

Like my shoulder >.>

Morin0

Smash Lord
working out?

So, just to get this out of the way: working out =/= bodybuilding, right?

I've always been pretty slim and I want to bulk up a bit. I am by no means fat but I want to work out to gain muscle. I have no idea where to begin. I was visiting bodybuilding.com and I started getting the impression that maybe I'm in way over my head. Strict diets, protein shakes, creatine etc? What happened to just exercising or lifting weights? Maybe I'm being a bit ignorant about the science behind all of this. I need some sense of direction.

Any of you work out and got tips for a newbie?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Right working out is definitely not the same as bodybuilding. There are many methods of training for different goals. Some of these goals include endurace, strength, explosive power, tone, muscle mass etc.

You could be looking to balance a whole bunch fo these together, but realy that's something people who are more advanced should worry about. If you're a beginner, you don't have to fret as much.

First of all protein shakes are not necessarily required, what makes them so desirable is their convenience and in the case of whey shakes, the speed at which it is digested, making it an excellent post workout protein.

Let me tell you though why people try to follow strict diets. Your muscles among other things are obviously fueled by what you eat. The old expression you are what you eat holds true here. An athlete's diet isn't a supermodel diet, it's built to give you all the macro and micro nutrients you need in abundance, because this maximises your gains. Exercising without a strict diet will benefit you, of course it will, but you see better and faster gains with an optimal diet.

Creatine I suppose is a good idea, it's much cheaper than most supplements and it does have a positive effect on your performance.

A good diet isn't just going to help you gain muscle etc, it will improve your mental abilities, overall energy levels, your skin, just about everything. It's well worth it, and I mean honestly it's not like you can't go to McDonald's every now again or gorge yourself on a tub of ice cream, but if you keep your regular diet well balanced you'll see great results.

Well actually you should be on a high protein diet if you're going to build muscle, but that's not too hard I'm sure there's no lack of chicken breast, steak, cheese, fish, or eggs where you live. Don't forget them veg. Bleh whatever I'm sure you can find better dieting advice using Google, tbh I'm a little lackadaisical with mine. :3

But yeah you wanna build some muscle as a beginner? Do a bunch of stuff like pushups (there are quite a lot of variants), pullups and chinups, dips, planks/situps/crunches/leg raises, leg presses, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and calf presses (everyone loves those). Should also have some cardio scheduled some time in the week, and should definitely do a cardio warmup before leg training.

The reason I'm not putting in stuff like the bench press and squats is because they are pretty demanding free weight exercises that need a well rounded stable base before they are attempted imo. When you've built up your overall strength, you can move onto the more challenging (and dangerous) exercises like squats/deadlifts/bench etc. A good idea would be to find a training partner especially when you progress to those exercises.

Also you'll want to lift heavy to builk up, in the region of 80% of your 1 rep max, and perform 6-8 reps. Also if your goal is mass over actual strength, then perform the reps slower and with more control, this causes more tears in the muscles and stimulates more growth.

Also here's a pro tip, and goes against everything I like to preach, but if you're looking to impress the girls, you don't really need to be that built, just have decent sized arms and visible abs. Thing is though, abs don't come from doing a bunch of crunches and situps (contrary to popular belief), they come from having low body fat, and there is no better way to lose body fat than by having a high protein diet and building muscle. The bigger/stronger your muscles, the more calories they burn just by existing, and we all know what a higher metabolism means, it means being more lean!

So get yo *** in the gym and start pumping jack, don't forget to stretch and warm up before every set! I'm sure you can find more comprehensive workout guides than what I've said I mean lol I just kinda threw some barebones ideas out there. Also don't get discouraged if you first start and you feel like a weakling, this is because of your modern lifestyle. Your inital gains will come hard and fast, so you won't be weak for long. The key is persevering after your gains start to come slowly.

Jane

Smash Hero
^great little write up, and I just wanna add in another vital piece of the fitness puzzle: MOTIVATION.

You must must find motivation within yourself if you truly want change. If you lack proper motivation, if you start working out "just because," you will give up a month in. A good way (for me at least) to find that motivation is to just spend some time thinking to yourself, figuring out what it is you want. Set goals. Goals are so important to see your progress. A simple goal for example would be "I want to be able to do 5 pullups by myself" or "I want to be able to run a mile without stopping." You don't even need to set a time limit, just always thinking about that goal should be enough to keep you fueled. Remember that you are at that age where your body is at its peak as far as potential. You could be in the greatest shape of your life if you start soon.

Oh and another thing: PATIENCE. Never give up because results aren't coming fast. You won't notice a change in appearance until 3-6 months of beginning a fitness routine, so don't get discouraged and quit. Its also important to enjoy the little things. Enjoy how good you feel after a workout, enjoy how good you sleep the night after, enjoy how now you can do 5 pushups rather than just 3. The little gains will keep you going on a day-to-day basis.

Lastly: CARDIO. Cardio is especially important if "I want to have a sexy body" or however you want to word it, is one of your goals. As Teran said, you don't get chisled abs by simply getting good at ab workouts, that will get your abs strong forsure, but for them to actually show, you must cut down your bodyfat, and the best way to do that, besides having a good diet (which is THE hardest part of living a fit lifestyle, so don't stress on diet too much), is cardio. Find a cardio regiment that you enjoy doing and do it on your nonworkout days. Running, biking, swimming, jumprope, etc etc. Cardio is so important, and it'll make you feel great. Personally, I get a better "high" post-run than I do post-workout. Both make me feel great though.

So yeah. I recommend you check out scooby's workshop, theress a link in the OP, as he has excellent insight for beginners. In fact, I'm following his beginner workout right now, which is strictly bodyweight excersises, and I'm seeing major benefits just three months in. Now, I could never see a reason to stop living a fit lifestyle, it simply has too many benefits (physical health, MENTAL health, positive mood, confidence, sex appeal, appetite, help you enjoy sports/be better at sports etc etc etc). And remember: suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret. The choice is yours.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One thing you should be looking for in a workout is if you can find one or devise one in a way that suits you. Aside from messing with a roommate's dumbell for no more than a minute, I haven't lifted weights in about five years. Up until last year, I was doing strictly bodyweight exercises, namely the hindu pushups and squats with the neck bridge exercise coming and going. Now, I'm doing a workout that refines my monkey kung fu techniques with things like jabs, clawing, hooking, kicking, etc. while still keeping those same exercises. I find it a lot more fun for me, even if my training options are limited (but not too limited) when I'm away from college since the gym there has a good amount of open space where I can do my acrobatic techniques without flinging myself into everything.

Oh, and one more thing. Stretch at least before working out. If you don't, you'll end up being a stiff mass of muscle. One of my roommates is like this where he can't lift his knees past is waist.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Also here's a pro tip, and goes against everything I like to preach, but if you're looking to impress the girls, you don't really need to be that built, just have decent sized arms and visible abs. Thing is though, abs don't come from doing a bunch of crunches and situps (contrary to popular belief), they come from having low body fat, and there is no better way to lose body fat than by having a high protein diet and building muscle. The bigger/stronger your muscles, the more calories they burn just by existing, and we all know what a higher metabolism means, it means being more lean!
This is only partially true. Your abs are muscles just like any other and they become bigger and stronger through use. Now while it is true that you won't see them as well if you don't have a low body fat percentage once you do attain a low amount of body fat they will look much more impressive if you have been doing those crunches and sit ups.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This is only partially true. Your abs are muscles just like any other and they become bigger and stronger through use. Now while it is true that you won't see them as well if you don't have a low body fat percentage once you do attain a low amount of body fat they will look much more impressive if you have been doing those crunches and sit ups.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying don't work out your abs, I was saying that don't focus lots on ab exercises and expect to get a six pack. Eh guess I could have worded it better but oh well.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
this is what i want to look like. lol jk
it will never happen and i would probably get diabetes in the process

fat guy with a 4 almost 6 pack!...this is crazy. it must have taken forever to get that.
If you need low body fat to get abs explain this e honda guy. No i am serious someone explain how this is even possible. (This is very far from the body type i am going for but i remebered seeing this pic pages back and it blew my mind a little bit)

Jane

Smash Hero
no no, you need low body fat for your abs to SHOW. fat people can have abs just as strong as skinny people. what teran was getting at is if you want other people to be able to really notice that nice tone in your stomach you must have low bodyfat.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Notice the thickness of his abdominal region.

He has very very big muscles, and falls more under the powerlifer look. Still his abs aren't particularly ripped, I mean yeah they're visible, but that still not THAT pronounced. Not taking away from it I mean it's majorly impressive they're actually visible, but yeah he's not all out shredded.

As long as you're happy with where you are/what you look like, it's all good. Personally, I prefer to have a more defined look. :3

Edit: Pretty much what Jane said.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Yea i knew what u guys meant i was just joking around (plus i didnt ask about that pic first time i saw it and i wanted to). Anyway as i was saying that is not what i want to look like, my plan is to lose body fat and gain muscle so i look fit (i dont need to be super ripped)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
His abs appear through the fat because the particular kinds of steroids he uses cause a bloated stomach.

Chill

Red
BRoomer

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying don't work out your abs, I was saying that don't focus lots on ab exercises and expect to get a six pack. Eh guess I could have worded it better but oh well.
YOUR WORDING SUCKS AND I HATE YOU!

So, I've started using steroids and I'm really not noticing much of a difference in my demeanor. I think the affects may have been exaggerated.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah if you're on anabolic steroids try not to flat out say so since it's a big deal in a couple countries (mainly the US), and so sadly it falls under the drug talk umbrella.

Kal

Smash Champion
Morino, if you're a newbie I suggest Starting Strength. It's pretty much the best thing you can start with. If you want to bulk up, be sure to eat a lot. That's kind of the whole idea behind bulking. Ideally, you want to limit the bull **** you eat, and try to keep it "healthy," but if it's a choice between not eating enough and eating ****, go with the latter. You can always cut later. Better that you get the necessary nutrients along with a bunch of bull **** than that you are undernourished.

It's better if you start at the lower end of the weight-scale with exercises, even if you can lift more. This will, in my opinion, give your body time to adjust to the routine so that you're not unbearably sore. More important, however, is that you go back to the gym on the next day of your routine, even if you are sore. Studies show that actually returning to the gym reduces DOMS. Yeah, it's weird. Starting low is also beneficial in that it gives you time to work on your form. Not a big deal if you're incorrectly squatting forty-five pounds, but if you're incorrectly squatting two-hundred and fifty, it could be harmful.

Also, if you're trying to bulk, keep the cardio to a minimum. If you absolutely insist on a cardio schedule, make sure there is a sufficient gap between any cardio and weight routine you do. Ideally, if you insist on cardio, do it on your off days.

One final remark: there is no real evidence that stretching before a workout is helpful. On the other hand, there is some evidence that it's harmful. Conversely, there is good evidence that stretching after a workout is helpful, and helps to reduce DOMS. A good analogy is trying to stretch a frozen rubber band: while frozen, stretching it will likely result in tears or breakage. But, if you warm it up first, stretching won't. Your muscles behave similarly. By far, the most important thing that you do, with any weight routine, is warm up first. With strength training, this means doing exercises at weights far below your working weight, kind of like jogging to warm up for a run. I personally don't think it's a good idea to stretch before a routine, and prefer instead to stretch afterwards, but either way, be sure to warm up first. It cannot be overemphasized how important warming up is.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Personally speaking, when it comes to "stretching" pre-workout, I do more than just the typical touch your toes, jumping jacks, etc. Especially on a leg day, getting on the treadmill, and moving/jogging for 5 minutes is a good way to get your legs warm. I've had a few strains when I tried to hit the squat row without warming/stretching my body up. Even if I am working from now weights to plenty of weights.

Same thing after your workout. Cool down is rather important as well. Just hit the treadmill for 5 minutes and do some stretches when you're done.

yani

Smash Lord
I did DL's for the first time yesterday.. damn I cannot move my back at all :laugh: feels good.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
YOUR WORDING SUCKS AND I HATE YOU!

So, I've started using steroids and I'm really not noticing much of a difference in my demeanor. I think the affects may have been exaggerated.

90% sure he was joking. U see he got unnecessarily mad at first with the caps and the i hate you

Attila_

BRoomer
5 days of dome from subscapularis pull ups... Geez. Suppose that means I did something lol

I did DL's for the first time yesterday.. damn I cannot move my back at all :laugh: feels good.
Gonna put it out there that dead lifts is a leg exercise.

Or at least it's supposed to be...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Gonna put it out there that dead lifts is a leg exercise.

Or at least it's supposed to be...

I feel it in the small of my back the most. Then again, I've never been able to figure them out.

Haven't touched real weights all week.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well... you can do stiff legged deadlifts for back.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yea, today was a dumb workout. Did like 3 things. Half ***** my deadlifts. I was running on In-n-Out Burger for breakfast/lunch and it's Sunday. Meh meh meh meh meh meh I'll be bangin tomorrow.

This YOLKED dude was pumping out his circuit though. Me, I take my damn time and enjoy myself, but guys like him get me going. Competitiveness can be beneficial, and so working out with a ton of excited guys helps me push myself a bit, trying to keep up.

QUESTIONS

How long do you guys work out for? Hour, two, THREE???

How long do you rest and how many exercises do you fit in?

I'm in there for about 1:30, doing 7 exercises, 3 x 10 sets each. But I think I need to bump it up hardcore. Is that really slow?

I wanna especially hear Shmot's deal. How you get big?????

Attila_

BRoomer
My deal? What does that mean exactly?

Well... you can do stiff legged deadlifts for back.
They're still not a back exercise.

Your back stabilizes your torso, while your hips push forward. And since your hips are the primary movers, your flutes and hamstrings should be the main muscle groups working.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So I have a question, I am stranded at a hotel for about another 3 weeks and I really want to start working out again after I lost my swing of it due to moving and all that shenanigans. However, the hotel only has a treadmill and an elliptical with a small sized pool.

All I was really trying to do was get some tone and the like in my past gym experiences and it was working for the most part due to the weights I was using and the path I had going.

I'm trying to get back in shape while I have the time but are there other ways to help? The only thing really stopping me from going back is that I've gotten a bit lazy due to not being in that way anymore but now that I want to actually get back into I can never pull myself to.

However on a plus note, I was able to cut out all soda and stuff like that for about a couple weeks now so that's a plus. I just need to get to excercising again. >.<"

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

An hour at most. Get in, go to failure, get out.

As for rests, that can vary.

My deal? What does that mean exactly?

They're still not a back exercise.

Your back stabilizes your torso, while your hips push forward. And since your hips are the primary movers, your flutes and hamstrings should be the main muscle groups working.

Eh.

Even IFPB pros do it for back so it must be okay. I think they reduce the range of motion though. Whatever, I rarely ever do DLs.

So I have a question, I am stranded at a hotel for about another 3 weeks and I really want to start working out again after I lost my swing of it due to moving and all that shenanigans. However, the hotel only has a treadmill and an elliptical with a small sized pool.

All I was really trying to do was get some tone and the like in my past gym experiences and it was working for the most part due to the weights I was using and the path I had going.

I'm trying to get back in shape while I have the time but are there other ways to help? The only thing really stopping me from going back is that I've gotten a bit lazy due to not being in that way anymore but now that I want to actually get back into I can never pull myself to.

However on a plus note, I was able to cut out all soda and stuff like that for about a couple weeks now so that's a plus. I just need to get to excercising again. >.<"

Swim.

Do push ups/situps/crunches/sqiats?

If there are no weights whatcho gonna dooo

Keblerelf

Smash Ace

Depends. On bench/OHP days, I'm in there for ~45 minutes. Deadlift/squat days I'm there for closer to an hour because of longer rest periods.

Every time I go to the gym I do around 3-4 exercises. With my leg days, I rest about 2-3 minutes in between sets with my main lifts. On accessory exercises, it's about 1-2 minutes.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Urgh, what a silly study. Don't people have better things to try and figure out?

Been back at the gym for about a week after a month of travelling and therefore barely any gym. Trying to work up my cardio again, sucks how much a month takes it out of you :c Eventually want to work up to being able to do a couple of pull ups...but a bit sore and lazy at the moment!

Top Bottom