• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Anyone who worries about their knees regarding squats, or thinks they could be potentially dangerous: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

When I DID strength train I went from the bar to 150lbs in just over a month, and always felt as though I could have kept going through each workout (which is the goal, actually.)

I'm doing something different than NKB. I spent from october to february being pretty much sedentary, and eating mostly dense red meats like liver, heart, and body fat from pork/beef, and lots of eggs and fish. almost no poultry because chicken/turkey/etc is extremely unsatisfying in comparison to the denser, more nutrient rich meats. Lost 70lbs.

Oh, and to further say **** the haters: My gall bladder has been defective since birth, and I still follow this diet. People need to l2nutrition. <3

Saturated Fat is the truth.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Anyone who worries about their knees regarding squats, or thinks they could be potentially dangerous: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

When I DID strength train I went from the bar to 150lbs in just over a month, and always felt as though I could have kept going through each workout (which is the goal, actually.)

I'm doing something different than NKB. I spent from october to february being pretty much sedentary, and eating mostly dense red meats like liver, heart, and body fat from pork/beef, and lots of eggs and fish. almost no poultry because chicken/turkey/etc is extremely unsatisfying in comparison to the denser, more nutrient rich meats. Lost 70lbs.

Oh, and to further say **** the haters: My gall bladder has been defective since birth, and I still follow this diet. People need to l2nutrition. <3

Saturated Fat is the truth.
I also looked up stuff about squats and found plenty of sources that say they should not hurt your knees and even some that say they can help make your knees feel better. So reading this i tried squats and sure enough my left knee started hurting, so i am holding off on doing squats until i can get a friend of mine to watch me and make sure i am doing them correctly. From there i will decide if squats will join my workouts.

:phone:

Jane

Smash Hero
speaking of running, yesterday i ran (jogged) my first mile nonstop ever! it felt so ****ing good. before, i would always have to take a walking break before i would break a mile.

surprisingly though, i didn't beat my record 3 mile time.

Jane

Smash Hero
double post to say that i tracked down exactly the day i started working out and running regularly. april 2nd. the first three weeks i did not run on saturdays, only tues/thurs, but ever since then i've been running three days of the week.

but anyways i wanted to post some pictures of my progress thus far, after six weeks of working out, doing cardio, and improving my diet. check it out:

http://imgur.com/a/iD2TQ

obviously nothing crazy yet, and i dont really have any shirtless pictures from before i started, so this will have to do as my "before" pic for when i really get to where i want to be. but yeah, there it is.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've always struggled with knee and ankle aches. Basketball helped me get over ankle pain. I used to sprain my ankles all the time. Could even be a slight twist while walking around. Now, even the worst twists don't hurt. However, I feel like all the jumping, pounding on the floor, + squats and etc have taken their toll on my naturally weak knees. For the most part, they never hurt, but every once a while, I'll go through a phase for 3 days to a week, they just ache continuously. I can still workout and play sports. Doesn't worsen it at all. Just some random pain I have.

Also, NKB, I am very happy for your weight loss and lifestyle change. To see results like that always brings a smile on my face. I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Also, NKB, I am very happy for your weight loss and lifestyle change. To see results like that always brings a smile on my face. I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you.
I really appreciate comments like this =) Comments like this really boost me up and push me to do better! It's people like you who have really helped him me obtain courage and determination to continue pushing myself to my limits.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, it's been about a month since I've had a consistent workout. By consistent, I mean 3 times a week. Tackled my legs yesterday for the first time, and holy crap they are sore right now.

Felt my left hamstring tug a bit during squats, but I'm okay.

Jane

Smash Hero
random and insignificant achievement, but nonetheless i want to to tell people -- i ran shirtless for the first time on thursday. it felt great to have the confidence to do that.

time to get my dark and handsome on :D

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
This week was actually my week off.

I HATE off weeks. I get bored, full of anxiety, stressed as all hell.

Can't wait til Monday.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Right update. I don't know if it was my new pull up bar and these suppliments and my even bigger increase in protein, but man I feel great about my body now. It's like after a few months of slow changes it suddenly changed dramatically within this past 3 weeks.

I dunno if it just gradually changed and I never noticed but I'm not complaining.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's probably all of those things together.

It's not just about how hard you train and how much you eat, it's about how smart/efficient you are with those things too.

As for me, well, The Hulk is getting me there. Soon brothers, Teran will be the main event again.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i feel i have finally saw some improvement body wise. Its nothing major but i think it looks like a lost a little weight and my arms definitely have more muscle. Even through in truth its very minor it was getting frustrating seeing no improvement at all. (I just hope i am not lying to myself about it looking like i lost weight)

Also yesterday i started two new workouts but i am not sure what they r called. One u put your back on a wall then squat as if u were sitting on a stool so your thighs he a workout (i did this for 1 min since 1 min or 30secs is what was suggested to me).

The other new workout i think is called plank or something like that, not planking but it is kinda similar so i could see the name being similar. Anyway u support your body with just your arms and feet and hold the rest of your body up. This works out the core and seemingly the shoulders as well. I also held this for 1 min as was suggested to me

joeplicate

Smash Master
i squatted 210 5x5 today, after 3 or 4 weeks of starting the program
first time i squatted more than my bodyweight, feels effin good man

also did 57.5 (lemme do the math here...)
160 on bench 5x5. felt really good, since last time i had to get a spot on the last set of 55 lbs

just switched from 3 sets of pullups til failure to deadlifts today, excited to get that weight up :smirk:

mental weakness is the worst killer. as soon as you get under the weight you gotta be ready to GO baby. there were a few times where i went under the squat bar, but de-tensed my shoulders and had to re-do my grip, or while benching started too far back and had to squirm forward (really bad!). those sets sucked the worst. since i had a ****ty/noncommittal start, the rest of the set was awful.

stick to that proper form even though it seems super hard, and don't take shortcuts imo. they'll make you **** up your form and actually make it HARDER to finish it out. (ex: sometimes i don't go deep enough during squats, and then i lean forward too much as a result, putting all the weight on my quads. which is way harder than staying back and using da butt)

even though it seems harder it actually makes it easier

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
good job joe! I feel so inspired and happy reading about people's progress.

My mental strength def. needs some work. I could never finish 255 3x5 squats and now I get intimidated by that number. I always think about how many times I've failed on that last set and it never ceases to bring me down. I feel hopeless and weak, as if I can never do it no matter how much I switch it up. I strained my back a couple of months ago and I'm trying to work my way back up. One day I will conquer that weight, and I'm going to feel so proud of myself. But for now, it's a big hurdle that I can't seem to get over.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Mom bought two bottles of Gatorade Recover. It's the 16 gram Protein one as opposed to the cartons that give you 30. Tried the Mixed Berry after workout. Tastes really good. Almost like drinking your regular juice.

Will try orange tomorrow.

Edit: I do not recommend orange...at all.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Glad I fuond this place, heh

I've just finished grade 9; I'm 14 years old. I love working out. I went to the weightroom at my school 3 times a week, and do stuff at home. I've taken a pretty small break recently, but since it's summer that'll change. I'm pretty skinny, but I plan to change that. =D Nice to meet you all.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i figured i'd make my first post here

i'm gonna try to break my 5 rep record for squats on monday

let's see how that goes

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i guess update

Lets see, i have hit a bit of a wall in my push up's but i am dealing with that by lowering the amount i increase. So i still do more every other day as the app says but i use the option to lession the increase so now its slow going but thats fine atm for i am sure i will break through this wall.

Crunchs r going very well, just finshed the lowest level for that app, and i will be starting the next level tomorrow/today (since its after midnight)

I cant do squats b/c it hurts my left knee to much, but sometimes i do this other thing (which i mentioned in a previous post) which still works the legs and it still hurts my knee just a good deal less.

My running has been lacking. A little over a week ago i hurt my toe so i couldn't run for a few days (it still hurts from time to time but i can run on it now so it seems pretty much fine) then it was around 100 degrees outside for 3 days so i couldn't run then. Now over the weekend i played some tennis which i count towards my running but while playing my brand new shoes i use for my running broke so now i need to deal with that grr.

I have been eating better, i only had fast food once this month and thats b/c i was at a friends it was really late and i had not eaten dinner yet so i had to have something. I also am having much less red meat replacing burgers with chicken burgers and on the whole just eating a lot of chicken. I still eat to much bread but b/c i bag a lunch and toast is one of the only things i can eat in the morning which doesnt make me feel sick, it seems that for the moment i will keep eating more bread then i would like

Edit: i am also doing bridges

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i figured i'd make my first post here

i'm gonna try to break my 5 rep record for squats on monday

let's see how that goes
mission complete

squatted 5 reps 225

graduated to dual 45 plates :)

let's see if i can do it on wednesday and friday without dying

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
DUDE good job! hitting 2 plates is a HUGE milestone. That's when it looks like you actually lift.

What's even better than getting 2 plates is warming up with 2 plates :)

Jane

Smash Hero
i have to admit, i've been slacking as of late. i'm taking a 5-week trig summer class and its really kicking my ***. not because it's hard, but because i'm so unselfdisciplined that i always wait til the last minute to do everything, which in turn causes me to miss workout/running sessions. really really gay, but i blame no one but myself. this class will be over on monday and i'll be back to my regular schedule, pushing harder than ever. it's also a good lesson for next semester, because it's gonna be a busy one. i absolutely MUST learn to finish my school stuff in good time if i want to maintain my workout routine.

aside from that, i plan on taking the "bikram challenge" in august. its an 8 week program where you do birkam yoga 5 days a week. birkam yoga is basically a specific style of yoga done for 90 minutes in a hot room. my body is ready.
oh and the best part? the yoga studio is literally a 30 second walk away from my house. :yeahboi:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Good luck with that i hear the hot yoga thing is pretty intense.

I got a question whats the difference between yoga and just stretching?

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Hey all,

I have been hitting the gym much harder (five days a week, only break days are on monday and friday), and I also have my sister's friend about to help me out as well.

The only thing I have yet to do completely is change my diet. I've been eating more chicken and fish, but I haven't been having one of the two at every meal, and I haven't eaten lean beef in a LOOOOOONG time. I think I might be buying some, though. I've been drinking a lot more water and feel great because of it.

I haven't weighed myself this past month, but I think I'm at 145.

Snack "The Twig" Attack, OUT

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Skipping squats, and instead in the line at McDonald's.

Someone slap my hand.

Jane

Smash Hero
Good luck with that i hear the hot yoga thing is pretty intense.

I got a question whats the difference between yoga and just stretching?

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this but basically I would say stretching is just stretching, but yoga is stretching turned into a half meditation, half workout routine.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Skipping squats, and instead in the line at McDonald's.

Someone slap my hand.

Sometimes it's okay to be naughty.

Incorporated fascial stretching into my routine somewhat recently and it's definitely paying dividends. Highly recommended for muscle growth purposes.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Ran two miles yesterday after not running for a while, this is also the most i have run since i started working out again. Pretty happy since the most i had run before this was only 1.5 miles. But today my legs and back r sore but a good sore

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
did 5 reps of 235 on squats today

don't stop me now

it's so refreshing having 2 consecutive weeks of improvement after a streak of stagnancy

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Now doing 160x8 deadlifts.

140x10 squats.

Although my groin is still crap after 5 months. Ergh.

Oh, those weights are in kgs btw.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What happened with your groin did you get a tear or something?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Probably headed back to the gym sometime next week. It's hard to fit in with 11 hour work days but I'm sure I'll get into a routine no problem.

Planning on doing a 3 day split to start and once I'm a bit more entrenched in routine I'll probably go for a 5 day split like I used to do. I need much more cardio, though, seeing as I'm focussing on losing fat for the first while and my heart isn't all that fresh due to past smoking.

I'll try to keep this updated. I tend to come and go from smashboards.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
What happened with your groin did you get a tear or something?
It's a more complicated than that, but I suppose it's best described as 'dysfuntional' now.

The muscle doesn't really work properly. I get an inflammatory response after exercise even though there is no longer any tissue damage. And all the surrounding musculature is overworking and get tight with only small bouts of activity.

Starting to wonder if this will ever be right again.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's a more complicated than that, but I suppose it's best described as 'dysfuntional' now.

The muscle doesn't really work properly. I get an inflammatory response after exercise even though there is no longer any tissue damage. And all the surrounding musculature is overworking and get tight with only small bouts of activity.

Starting to wonder if this will ever be right again.

That's really weird, guess you should see a sports physio or something.

Top Bottom