• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Bazz

Smash Rookie
How neat of a thread. I'll probably poke my head in every now and then. (I did do a push-up as the topic start demanded, so does that mean I get a cookie?)

I'm not a part of a gym or any workout program, although I probably should look into something. I know I do have a goal, and it's to gain some muscle mass. I'm not dead skinny, but I could be bigger, and I'm at a good age (18) to capitalize on that. For starters, I'd like to ask you guys which nutritional shakes or bars or whatever would be best to help me gain weight. Right now I'm taking EAS Protein shakes (the only bearable tasting protein I've come across), and I wonder if I'm on a good route with it.

I have heard of P90X, but taking a look at Bazz's transformation picture (well done, by the way), it seems to just have focused on leaning down instead of bulking up. Are pure body-weight programs like P90X and Insanity what I should be striving for, or should I focus on lifting weights and such? Any advice would be helpful. Keep it up, fellas!
Thanks man.
Yeah, Insanity is pure body weight and cardio. I did it for the purpose of slimming down, but it WILL strengthen your quads and calves a lot aswell as your core. but it definitely isn't a body building routine.

P90X has a lot of equipment strength and resistance training (dumbells, pullup bar..etc). It is pretty versital, you can use the 12-15 rep rule to build lean muscle, or 8-10 to bulk up more.
Now, I myself am more motivated following along with the videos, but some people do better in a gym environment, it just depends on your personal preference.

Now that i am about done with the Asylum, I will be focusing on building muscle with another round of p90X while using WHEY protein and uping my calorie intake. I will also be using heavier weights with less reps.

On another note, I timed my Mile today. Got 6:10, im pretty happy with that.

I was curious, what is everyone's motivation?
Mine is so I can finally fit into cute clothes that I see in Guess stores.
I swear, they make everything 2 sizes too small on purpose.
My Immediate goal is to be ahead of the game at outdoor activities. I play a lot of Paintball and MILSIM airsoft, some of the airsoft games are 8 hour events on fields larger than 140 acres. that takes a lot out of you, so im doing it for the performance aspect.
My long term goal is, at age 45, to be more fit and healthy than i am now. I want to reverse the trend that most people fall into.
...Fitting into clothes is also a big plus XD

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
actually you're pretty much at my goal. i want to get to 140lbs, and i'm also an inch shorter than you so it'll probably make me look ever so slightly bulkier than you. i'm somewhere between 125 and 130lbs at the moment. good to know that i can probably achieve your bodytype in a reasonable amount of time. like 6-8 months i'm shooting for? so may at the latest. that'd be great.
By that time I definitely think it's possible. Just eat right and lift heavy. I don't know if you're worried about getting "too big" but that will most likely not happen unless you eat like a monster and possibly take steroids, the latter of which is illegal of course.

I was curious, what is everyone's motivation?
Mine is so I can finally fit into cute clothes that I see in Guess stores.
I swear, they make everything 2 sizes too small on purpose.
I like to look sexy.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Just got back from ~5 mile bike ride in a light rain, legs were screamin at me the whole time, felt good man. Ate a pretty light lunch earlier today. Haven't had soda in a couple days. Gonna rest tomorrow cause, while I'm feelin real motivated, I don't want to risk burning out physically.

My motivation is that I felt like **** just being so out of shape. I still weigh less and look better than before I ever started working out but I took for granted how much being in shape just makes life easier. I also am too poor to buy new clothes and feeling the elastic waist on my gym shorts getting tighter as the months passed was a very uncomfortable sensation.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm back from starting HITT and I gotta ask...When did 15 seconds become an eternity.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ Ha, it hurts doesn't it?

I guess it doesn't hurt to state my motivation since I've done it before. Just to live an overall healthy lifestyle, enhance my performance in basketball, and the day I get married, I wanna look good for my girl LOL.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I'm such a lazy, dumb piece of ****. :(

Today would have been a perfect day to lift, but I convinced my self that I was too hungover to go.

I dropped five pounds.

I was 145 when I came into school, but now I'm down to 140. Gotta start eating and lifting BIG TIME tomorrow.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My left shoulder's acting up again.

Kind of annoying but I guess I can still do legs and abs until it stops being a pansy.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I just do weighted planks and weighted crunches with different leg positions.

Learning dragon flags.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've been getting back into the gym thing since stress and crap made me gain weight over the past few months.

Full body workouts when I go to a gym I joined due to the fact I rarely can go their due to work and other things going on.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ok today was chest and a little shoulders. My home equipment is a little limited but I made do by just keeping rest between sets really low - 10 deep breaths before starting the next set. Feelin sore already, I missed this feeling :dedede:

95lb flat bench x8
95lb flat bench x8
30lb db flyes x8
95lb flat bench x8
30lb db standing overhead press x8
95lb flat bench x8
30lb db standing overhead press x8
stretches
yogurt immediately PWO. will replace with whey shake as soon as it comes in the mail

outlook for week: cardio tomorrow, legs wed, cardio thurs, rest of upper body (biceps/triceps/back) friday

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just keep it up! Worst enemy is time off, I think we've all felt the consequences first hand. :urg:

So are you gonna sub to a gym or something?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
When I outgrow my home gym stuff, I will. A good friend of mine goes to the local Y so I might sign up there just to have a spotter and the extra motivation.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Looking for some advice. I have been steadily losing weight for the past couple of weeks (1-2 lbs a week) doing a regiment of lifting MWF doing (chest tri/legs shoulders/back bi) and running outside for about 4-6 miles (usually a bike trail that leads across a bridge that connects Maryland and Virgina).

However I noticed I was at a standstill though for the past 2 weeks (sat at 216 for 2 weeks). I finally dropped a pound today and was super happy. However I a feel that my appetite has been getting bigger and bigger.

What should I do to continue my weight loss? I've been eating properly. The only thing new I'd say is I introduced eating wheat bread into my diet (about 2 slices a day). Should I perhaps introduce more running to help my caloric deficit say 20 minutes after lifting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, I can't help you on that. Losing weight is not my expertise =/. Are you drinking enough water? Perhaps that can be a substitte to hold up your appetite.

Edit: Try looking in this thread?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=319842

Question for you guys: Anyone do box jumps? Right now I'm doing 3x10 jumps, and was wondering what's the highest rep range to go up to before trying to move onto a higher box?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Cleaned 185 for 2 today. I wanted to get it as a power clean, but I'll take what I can get.

My neck/shoulder/delt area looks all bruised from that and front squatting. maybe I'm holding it wrong. :urg:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Went for a slightly longer bike ride this morning, about 8 miles, but I did it before breakfast. Drank a ton of water. I think I'm over the hump in terms of no soda/less food cause I'm feelin pretty good these days.

Jane

Smash Hero
bought about 240lbs in weights, a weight tree, and a curl bar for $150. i'm feeling pretty good about the purchase :yeahboi:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
bought about 240lbs in weights, a weight tree, and a curl bar for $150. i'm feeling pretty good about the purchase :yeahboi:
dude nice. I got like 180 lbs in weights and a couple assorted dbs/bbs for $100 off craigslist a long time ago and I still use em. They are all the ghetto filled concrete **** tho but I still have all of them cause I don't drop my weights like a moron.

it's great help for motivation to have a buddy help out.
bro come on up to neenah lets get jacked sometime :toonlink:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
leg day:
~100 lb front squat 4x5
30 lb db's squat 3x8
stair calf raise 3x20
leg curl "32 lbs" 3x8
3 mins light jump rope
stretchessssssss

No cage so I had to clean the BB up to do front squats with it. 3 14.3 lb plates on each side, not sure how much bar weighs so I guessed 100. DB squats were *** to grass. Calf raises had heels off stairs, explode up, slow down. Today was my first time using the leg curl extension on my wooden bench handmade by the previous homeowner... I put 2 8lb plates on each side but the extension weighs quite a bit so I'm not sure what the actual weight was. However, I was REALLY happy with how well it worked; it was way more comfortable than any leg curl machine I've ever used in a gym. Wish I hit my glutes a little harder but the rest of my lower body is screaming. More biking tomorrow!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just got done with my "basketball" day. Wall marches, box jumps, anterior lateral lunges, the "lean, fall, run", and a long session of shooting.

My feet are definitely sore lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nice to see myself making progressive gains. Actually opted to go 10 lbs up on my DB Shoulder Presses instead of 5. Other exercises come slower. Mainly cable rows and clap push ups.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Couldn't go on a bike ride today as I unexpectedly had a very long day that pretty much doubled as cardio. Forced to have some pizza on the go but watched what I ate otherwise. Tomorrow is back/tri/bi and my first weigh in, I'm pumped :dedede:

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Looking to ease my crazy self lol.

Last night I ran about 5 miles in a hoodie. It is safe to say I sweated A LOT! I drank about 2 cups of water before I went to bed and woke up today and went to the gym. Today was back and bi.

Now for my questions Do you all think 2 cups of water was too little to rehydrate? I ask this question because when I was lifting, I lifted to exhaustion but I didn't sweat much. Usually I am pouring with sweat when I lift but today there was hardly any sweat.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Looking to ease my crazy self lol.

Last night I ran about 5 miles in a hoodie. It is safe to say I sweated A LOT! I drank about 2 cups of water before I went to bed and woke up today and went to the gym. Today was back and bi.

Now for my questions Do you all think 2 cups of water was too little to rehydrate? I ask this question because when I was lifting, I lifted to exhaustion but I didn't sweat much. Usually I am pouring with sweat when I lift but today there was hardly any sweat.

I would say that two cups was probably too little, especially considering how much you ran last night. The fact that you didn't really sweat may have been luck/coincidence.

Do you remember EXACTLY how you felt?

Also: I finally got my multi-vitamins and protein. Chocolate Peanut-Butter flavor. :bee:

Jane

Smash Hero
you didnt drink water while you ran? i cant do that ****, my mouth gets hella dry.

and whether or not it was too little no one can accurately judge except you. all i can tell you is that most people dont drink "enough" water. enough to not die but not enough to fully satisfy their internal systems. so if i had to place money on it, i would go with not enough water.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you weren't sweating as much while lifting compared to how you normally sweat, it's very possible that you didn't have enough water in your system to sweat in the first place.

I mean hell, even when I lift, I see myself going back to the fountain after every set or second set. Probably consume about 16-24 ozs of water every time I lift weights.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Thanks everyone for your input. It was probably dehydration. I'll make sure to fill my water quota.

I feel the reason for this is because I haven't been seeing much scale progress so I get self-conscious about whatever I put in my body. Even though I know water is essential I just want to see the numbers go down even water weight is good enough for me.

I know I'm losing weight because I am finally able to wear my large button ups to work now, but still I gotta get past these mental barriers. Maybe the increase in weight is muscle gains? I've been lifting for about 3 months now and can definitely feel my triceps hardening and my biceps are getting less flabby.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Back/tris/bis:
Deadlift 1x5 ~100 lbs
BB Shrugs 3x8 ~100lbs
Pull Ups - 3x5 bodyweight
DB Rows - 3x8 30lbs each arm
Seated row - 3x8 "62 lbs"
DB Curls - 3x8 30lbs each arm
Close Grip Bench - 2x8 95 lbs
Skullcrushers - 2x8 30lb dbs

Was pretty gassed by the triceps stuff so I think next week I'll start splitting up my muscle groups better. Deadlift my form was weird and the bar is really thick so my grip didn't feel right so I only did one set. Haven't really felt comfortable doing back exercises since a car accident a couple years ago so I might just scrap deadlift for lower intensity stuff. Everything else felt pretty good. Whey finally came in so I had that pwo.

first week weigh in:

\:charizard:/

That might go back up tho since I just got my whey/creatine in the mail and I know that stuff has water retention potential. I think I might try to lift hard for a month-ish and then get into heavy cardio so I look good ON new years instead of promising I'll look good 6 months later. Rest for the weekend.

Top Bottom