• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
pita, come to sutherlin, my port 2 espeon misses you
That Espeon and I go way back. Way back to like two weeks ago when I met her first. It was one of the best moments of my entire life.

Umbreon ain't got **** on Espeon. Espeon's just that much better. Still, it's all about the Baton Passing Eeveelution teams:

Espeon with Calm Mind, Psychic, Baton Pass, Reflect
Umbreon with Toxic, Mean Look, Baton Pass and Moonlight
Jolteon with Double Team, Thunderbolt, Baton Pass, Agility
Vaporeon with Acid Armor, Surf, Baton Pass, Ice Beam
~~Nobody cares about the other Eeveelutions so they might as well not exist~~

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
whoops, that's what I meant, like we get funding as a bonus :p

and yes, most/all of Random Select's members graduated.
That's what I thought. And yeah, I played with Thomas a few times. Too bad he's gone. Cool guy, one heck of a Peach. I uh, graduate this year as well, but I wouldn't mind helping with the club a little bit. Can't be terribly time consuming, though.

Also my avatar contains the best Pokemon ever. Fact.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So I sent in a form to PCC Sylvania and PCC Rock Creek recently, but I got a message from Sylvania today saying I've been denied the venue, so we might have to opt for the "piss palace" again.
btw for those who went, how did you feel about Guardian Games for Portland GC as a venue?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I didn't mind it. It was in kind of a pain location though

Shane wants to make the melee at this up coming GC really big. He is trying to get all of WA that doesn't normally come and Canada to come down.

So I think all of OR's melee players should think about attending this

debaser

Smash Lord
guardian games was a fantastic venue.

they had drinks and it was relatively spacious. and the location was really nice, it was out of the way, but not in a completely obscure spot and it had lots of easy, free weekend parking.

also the smattering of non-smasher spectators was kinda cool.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Guardian Games is a great place. They recently expanded into a decent sized second room, as well.

Also, it's awesomely easy for me to get to.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Hey Balloon, welcome to the community! This is a website for Super Smash Brothers. A fighting game for the Nintendo Consoles. If you want to find some people to get together and play some games. This is the place to be!

It's also pretty cool that you joined this site when you were 7

keeper

Smash Champion
Thursdays and Fridays are my free days (except Friday this week) where I have no school. Tuesday is my one-class-that-gets-out-at-12 day.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
It's really not that ridiculous. Normal tournaments are 10 dollar singles 10 dollar doubles. Plus since it's in portland you don't really have to spend a lot on gas money AND you are getting a ticket to go see the blazers. That 30 dollars also get's you into the brawl tournaments and SSFIV tournament.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I don't watch basketball, but for 10 dollars I'd go watch a live pro basketball game.

30 dollars is baby **** stuff. It cost just that much if not more at most regionals. I really don't see a problem with this tournament. It costs more in gas than it does to pay the extra 10 dollars to go to this event. If you were to normally go to a GC.

I don't see the reasoning of being so pessimistic of an event that is not only trying to improve the scene number wise, but to also hopefully catch eyes of sponsors. So it can improve the scene further.

It just results in
"Man I want our scene to be bigger"
"wow 30 dollars that's ghey."
*doesn't attend*
*poor attendance so the likely hood of something like this happening again or catching the eyes of sponsors decreases*
*GG local scene*

Surreal

Smash Ace
Every tournament helps improve the scene. I don't see how sponsors would help people get into smash, unless they considered it a way to make money from video games like the way kids see halo.

I'm pessimistic towards everything, and cheap.

EDIT: Your example just further shows that people hate paying more than usually do, especially if they don't want the other things they're paying for. Those prices would be good for other regionals, sure, but other regionals usually have a much better attendance than our's because our scene is small. I don't really consider GC a regional anyways, since they occur every month, and I don't think two states really counts as "regional" (Idaho doesn't count. Seriously what idaho smashers are there?) I don't think anyone would want sponsors if it just meant you'd have to pay more. I still don't see how being forced to pay more for things no one wants will encourage any new people to want to be in the scene.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
The point of sponsors is so you WON'T have to pay that much. They'll help cover costs that GC guy is paying for. So entry won't cost as much. Venue fees won't cost as much (if there was one in this case). Free stuff comes up as well. So it makes what you do pay for more worth it. I'm not saying GC is a regional. I'm saying AT regionals entry fees cost up to 60 dollars. Just to enter! That isn't including gas/plane ticket and other costs. 30 dollars is nothing.

Our scene is small for a reason. Because there isn't a lively tournament scene and no advertisement of sorts. Are you trying to say that a random house tournament in my basement will even come close to helping the scene grow. Compared to a tournament that is being sponsored by the Blazers and is being hosted in an excellent venue right next to the Rose Garden?

If something is sponsored it shows that whatever game the new people might want get into is legit. It helps point you toward the good games. Do you think Street Fighter got as big as it is. Because kids were running house tournaments and then the entire world was like "WOAH LET'S ALL FLY TO NATIONALS IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES!!!". Sponsors saw it as a worthwhile game to invest into. Because the scene showed a lot of enthusiasm (by all attending events). Since they did it meant bigger venues, better coverage of the game, more advertisement. More people saw how legit it was and hopped on the train to play.

Also, don't you think NOT being pessimistic and cheap towards life would be a better outlook on it?

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

im probably gonna go to this tourny. havent been to one yet and this seems as good as any.

honestly 30 isnt that much money people (it does seem to be more expensive than other tournaments but this one should be bigger) plus blazer tickets are more expensive and if you dont want to go sell the ticket.
also if you win, bigger payout.

boom. easy money.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Being pessimistic towards life isn't any worse than optimistic tbh. They both have their pros and cons. I'm only cheap towards money because I'm not someone who has a job or places every single tournament, so I'm hesitant to lay down $30 (that I know I won't get any back. Don't even say that "well, if you have that attitude, then yeah you won't..." speech, cause it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize my attitude won't give me the skill to beat the people with years more experience who are going) if I could be using that money towards something more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom