• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surreal

Smash Ace
^ That's another excellent point I want to mention. Our scene is so small that GC barely runs Melee. So this tournament won't help the Melee scene at all if they don't even have it. You can't talk about how to improve the Melee scene when one of the PNW's main (and basically only) tournament venues (Gameclucks) doesn't even hold Melee events consistently.

Imagine if you had to pay gas money to Kaylee during that one trip to GC that ended up not having Melee doubles. You would've wasted an entire day and paid money for basically nothing.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to enter a Brawl tourney. I don't want to enter a SSFIV tourney. I don't want a Blazers ticket because I don't even watch basketball. And then there's the fact I might not even get it. I'm ok with dishing out $10 (+gas) for a day of fun. However, paying $30 when I won't use over half the things I get for it is completely counterproductive. Lastly, like Jeff, that's money I won't be seeing again.

EDIT: One more thing. If you want more people to go to events, reduce the price. Ever take an economy class? People aren't as willing to buy things if they cost too much. I'm a pretty good example here.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
^ That's another excellent point I want to mention. Our scene is so small that GC barely runs Melee. So this tournament won't help the Melee scene at all if they don't even have it. You can't talk about how to improve the Melee scene when one of the PNW's main (and basically only) tournament venues (Gameclucks) doesn't even hold Melee events consistently.

Imagine if you had to pay gas money to Kaylee during that one trip to GC that ended up not having Melee doubles. You would've wasted an entire day and paid money for basically nothing.
While I see your point here, I disagree with the whole waste of a day thing. What's the point of going to a tournament if you're not going to see your money back? Why don't you just play friendlies the entire time? I'm not at any level where I'm even close to winning any tournament at the professional level. What other reasons are there to come but to get better and enjoy myself?

I'm really starting to agree with gage's point, even though I wasn't very pessimistic with it in the first place. I have to pay thirty bucks, which is only fifty percent more than usual, for something that will probably help the scene in some way, that's in my neck of the woods. It could be because I'm less picky and could potentially sign up for every event there, whereas melee might just have one event.

Surreal

Smash Ace
Gage prefers doubles friendlies, which are quite hard to get at GC where there's usually a lack of tv's, not to mention most people are doing singles friendlies.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I wouldn't have been disappointed with paying the gas money. I go to WA GC's full aware that something probably isn't going to happen. I didn't waste my entire day. I got to see friends. I got to play doubles. I just got to hang out. I've been paying for gas to tournaments longer than almost all of you have been around. I'm well aware of the risk/reward of going to GC's and other OoS tournaments.

WA's melee scene is bad. OR's melee scene however is not. We can get like 20 people already and this is basically without advertising anything.

Yeah you have to reduce the price, but there is a balance you need. If you run a a low price and still almost no one shows up. Then you just got really *****. 30 dollars is really low. Some of the old melee tournaments used to be like 60 dollars for singles. That's so much. That wasn't including the venue fee and doubles.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's really not that ridiculous. Normal tournaments are 10 dollar singles 10 dollar doubles. Plus since it's in portland you don't really have to spend a lot on gas money AND you are getting a ticket to go see the blazers. That 30 dollars also get's you into the brawl tournaments and SSFIV tournament.
How good are the seats? If you're getting like level one or two seats... I don't know about you guys, but I'd hop on that even if I was hypothetically not a huge basketball fan lol (which I'm not I guess, but I do enjoy watching it).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I didn't either at first, until I saw some amazing plays.

Football still irritates me though, mostly because there's a blatantly more hardcore version that I still can't believe people say is "less manlier/tougher" than football, (Rugby), but the way it plays is so stop->go, more so than Basketball.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I really like impressive plays in basketball, but it's kind of like watching a bad persons combo video. Where it seems like the person could be good and do **** things. 99% of the time though that person isn't going to do anything cool at all

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Football is literally the culmination a strategy war game, back when war wasn't all guerilla and hit and run like today. I can see why a lot of people like it. Occasionally I see a play that really rocks, moreso than basketball, but I think less than soccer.

keeper

Smash Champion
Meh.

10mehs

Most sports bore the **** out of me. Except probably hockey, lacrosse, events from the winter olympics, and the finals for stuff. Esports are cool too.

Anyway. Tournaments should offer packages like this because they're cool, but they shouldn't be at the cost of being able to go about it à la carte style, not to mention the à la carte shouldn't equate to cost more, just not include the special bonus that the package offers.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
... 30 bucks isn't bad at all... rocket/me BOTH spend that much in gas (60 dollar round trip) just to go to a smashfest up there... Only reason sutherlin isn't going to this is wal mart is gonna be giving me full time hours cause of the holidays (less free time in general) and that melee is a side event... (main reason) and a trailblazers game isn't an incentive at all to me (between bbx and soccer >.> laaaaame haha.

Seriously though, if you're from portland you really need to go to this. I'd go even for a side event for 30 bucks... however 60 to play a side event (for me) isn't realy worth it when i could drive up to corvallis and spend 40 bucks less per person haha

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I really like impressive plays in basketball, but it's kind of like watching a bad persons combo video. Where it seems like the person could be good and do **** things. 99% of the time though that person isn't going to do anything cool at all
BEST "COMBO" VIDEO OF ALL TIME LADIEZ AND MENTLEGEN:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R86vnAVwPVU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R86vnAVwPVU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Just look at those double takes on those AWESOME spikes.

On another note, it was fun playing with that "new" Melee player at Mooch's house, the biggest highlight was our Ganon v. Falcon match or probably the time my "amazing" falco 4 stocked his fox lol (we both agreed he was way better than me though lol).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Seriously though, how do you guys build up a grasp of tech skill while having a lot on your plate?

I enjoy Brawl and all, but one of the biggest reasons I play is because I don't feel I'd have the time for Melee (with music lessons, Wushu, extra-curriculars and religious lifestyle), since I'm barely coming out of the "mid-level play" for Brawl lol, that and I really enjoy my characters' designs as is :p

Mad respect though, Melee is a balls-of-the-walls fun to watch (unless it's Jiggly dittos lol).

Surreal

Smash Ace
Either don't play Melee and take care of what you have on your plate first, or just try to fit time in for Melee. Besides, all the training you can get in helps, and even if you don't play for a while, you can play for like an hour or so and then be back to where you were when you stopped playing, so every little bit helps.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Wow I feel like such a **** now after reading Gages posts, which i agree with btw. You guys need to step it up. WA is about to get **** and I hope u *****s come up 2.

I was coming in here to tell you guys We were gonna trade you all in for one really cool pro smasher, uhhh but I guess I wont anymore.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
The fact is, a lot of people learn tech skill, then they stop once they get to a place they feel is good. I stopped practicing tech skill a could years ago, although I do occasionally practice.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
The fact is, a lot of people learn tech skill, then they stop once they get to a place they feel is good. I stopped practicing tech skill a could years ago, although I do occasionally practice.
Until I can move around the stage like a boss wavelanding everywhere and doing ridiculous sh-t, I'm not done practicing tech skill.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Until I can move around the stage like a boss wavelanding everywhere and doing ridiculous sh-t, I'm not done practicing tech skill.
I feel comforatble with what I can do. When I don't feel comfortable, I practice tech skill. You're not comfortable yet with what you can do, so you continue practicing. What you're doing sounds more like being flashy. I agree with debaser, tech skill is about getting down what you need to know to get the job done, anything extra is just being flashy.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
tech skill is not about wavelanding fools. tech skill is about not ****ing up. that's it.
Sheik's tech skill seems to be primarily about movement. My current goal is to be able to move faster across the stage, and to be faster you need to be consistent. I agree though. Consistency matters.

Surreal

Smash Ace
This isn't meant to be a huge tournament or anything, but would anyone be interested in attending this?

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10887

It's a fundraiser tournament that's right after GC, so if people are staying the night up in WA for GC and then come back down, this is sort of on the way. The entry is probably going to be $3-5 or a few cans of food to give to the homeless. There isn't a payout atm, but apparently GC Guy might be able to make it so winner gets a prize.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
This will be my future Pokemon Soul Silver Team:

Meganium- Female
Bellossom- Female
Ampharos- Male
Dewgong- Male
Furret-Male
Togekiss- Male

This is the first time since I've played Pokemon that I've had more guys than girls. It's kind of sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom