• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure the only reason we havent come the last few times is cuz we dont have rides. just saiyan
Teddy has said before a few tournaments that he will be doing a carpool and then a few days later he says "Never mind Washington doesn't want go" or something to that effect.

Imo what you need is some juice, highlight why THIS Best Bout is going to be different from the rest, or why your tournament is HYEEEEEP (like a crew battle or quick side event), or accentuate what's awesome.
I've tried hyping tournaments before and then we just end up with less people. I've essentially given up trying to get the veterans out. Getting new people, however is something Ethan and I are going to be doing after this tournament.

I always try to run ANYTHING that people want as long as there is enough people that want to do it. I have been asked to do side events before and I have people try to gauge interest and it usually doesn't happen.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I have something going on in the weekend, but Imma try to swing over for once haha, I know I haven't been able to participate much lately :(

keeper

Smash Champion
Another one bites the dust.
Didn't you say that you'd stop going to stuff after Northwest Manifest?

Teddy has said before a few tournaments that he will be doing a carpool and then a few days later he says "Never mind Washington doesn't want go" or something to that effect.

I've tried hyping tournaments before and then we just end up with less people. I've essentially given up trying to get the veterans out. Getting new people, however is something Ethan and I are going to be doing after this tournament.

I always try to run ANYTHING that people want as long as there is enough people that want to do it. I have been asked to do side events before and I have people try to gauge interest and it usually doesn't happen.
It's a little off-putting when people drink inside the venue.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Somebody mod Falco so his laser sound just goes "****". Old joke, but I'll pay you 10 dollars for it.

It sounds like, uhh, Rick.

keeper

Smash Champion
If you aren't having fun anymore, just play Samus.

Or Roy.
Roy is stupid and Samus isn't fun when you lose every game based on the character you picked. "Get better!" It's still not fun the way you have to play to be successful at all with Samus.
Keeps, you seemed like you've been having good times when I've seen you. What's up, dude?
Stuff.

LOL Keeper thinks Falcon is a joke.
Probably because he's the most hard countered of the "better" characters.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
Hey! There were a TONNNNN of new faces today from Portland and Eugene. Was awesome. Hopefully some of you see this, and keep coming out. Join the FB group, it is super ideal for setting up smashfests/knowing who is having a fest/what is going on. Look forward to seeing you more often!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/340535089298820/
I was looking for this link! I was one of the new faces. I'll pass this link along to the others from Eugene.

Binx

Smash Master
I had a lot of fun with everyone I played guys, thanks for the good matches!

Kyle good stuff beating me, Mr Ganondorf too, punches HURT!

FoosJr

Smash Ace
So I'm looking to play a lot this next week only issue is that my car broke down gonna try and get it fixed today but not sure on how much it's gonna cost yet. But after my performances these last 2 tournaments I'm not happy with em so who's looking to play tomorrow night and tuesday also still going to best bout wednesday unless getting my car fixed is a ridiculous price.

:phone:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
My snake was pretty good cause I know how to ftilt, so that was chill lols

Game is so slow though T.T
It gets a little faster if you do jump cancel tosses as snake, so you can at least pretend you have a WD in the game lol (sliding back -> utilt/ftilt ftw)

Also, among my floundering thursday/friday night at Jesse's house against Ratking, my biggest highlight was that 0-90 someodd combo I pulled off (exactly what you play Melee for haha).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
My snake was pretty good cause I know how to ftilt, so that was chill lols

Game is so slow though T.T
The game isn't slow, just the players. XD
[Proof]

Oh Timmy you're so sweet :) haha
Host another tournament series! Having a Timmy Tommy Tournament every month would be so raw.
The best I can offer right now is working in tandem with Big City Gamin'. Maybe once the Shoryuken League opens up in their new location I can start a monthly there (they're taking forever to open the venue it seems).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I gotta say though, Melee gets pretty frustrating unless you can get a handle on the techskill. There was one time where I did an air dodge instead of a wd back at a crucial moment (the slant messed me up a little), and it pretty much turned from being halfway into an awesome tech chase series, into a reversal on me ;_;

But conversely, when you get the proper mastery, and have good knowledge of how to apply it, it's extremely rewarding.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
still slower than melee, which is sad.
I don't really get this statement. Not trying to be a ****, but it makes no sense to me. Melee is an extremely fast paced game, how is being slower than that sad? Brawl is not my cup of tea, I just do not understand this view of it. Trolling?

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I booked a hotel room(DaysInn) for the 23rd and the 24th. Now hopefully I can get 5 people from Corvallis/Eugene to go with me to Manifest...

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
I booked a hotel room(DaysInn) for the 23rd and the 24th. Now hopefully I can get 5 people from Corvallis/Eugene to go with me to Manifest...
Maybe. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the cost breakdown on the other site btw, helps see what I'll need to work with. I'll let you know after I get more information on my finances.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't really get this statement. Not trying to be a ****, but it makes no sense to me. Melee is an extremely fast paced game, how is being slower than that sad? Brawl is not my cup of tea, I just do not understand this view of it. Trolling?
Brawl is an extremely slow paced game, about the speed of sf4 before AE, which for me is just boring to watch, I used to joke that melee on slowmode was as fast as brawl and it's almost true.

Really the things that bother me about the game are pretty vast which is why I give it so much crap, but for a TAS to look like that, which is somewhat impressive it still isn't nearly as awesome as melee TAS videos, if you look at perfect fox through singleplayer or perfect ice climbers vs 3 level 9s and things like that its clear that melee can just be pushed further than brawl.

And really thats the thing that bugged me the most about brawl, it just didn't have the same kind of depth melee did IMO. I also don't like how the game punishes movement and rewards defense so much. In melee camping in general is rewarding already because in a lot of cases it's easier to do(when you reach the pinnacle of the game at least) Then you slow the game to almost half speed and have it recover for you and remove 3/4 of the movement options.

It's not even that I think brawl is a bad game, I don't, it's actually probably in my top 3-4 favorite fighters, I just think that it pales to melee. At least we are getting to the point where a lot of our new players are actually coming from that game to ours after learning smash basics in a more friendly environment. I used to think that piece of garbage excuse for melee was going to kill my most loved game of all time, but it ended up giving it a second wind, which actually makes me pretty happy.

cmin

Smash Ace
Some people like to eat pizza, and some people like to eat dingle berries. I like pizza. and pizza tastes exactly like melee. end of brawl/melee discussion

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I don't really like the view point of "it recovers for you". There is a lot to recovering in Brawl, since almost every character can go off the stage, kill you, then recover. You have to approach recovery a lot differently. It isn't just "LOL instant ledge grab LOL"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom