• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Smash Champion
I will get back to you on this, I need to ask Charles. I think as long as you register online you can pay at the door but I'm not 100% sure.

Message to everyone planning on attending: Bring a setup if possible. One of our main goals is to run the tournament very quickly and smoothly.
That'd be nice if I could pay at the door. I can bring a GCN, but not a TV.

debaser

Smash Lord
the painted hills are ****ing sick!

Ok, so I can go to OSU 6 this weekend. Tyler, you have your ride.

I'll pm you my number, text/call me so I have yours.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
No, not field camp yet. Just a weekend geoclub field trip. I don't leave for field camp until after the term is over. Evan, I don't know specifically what I want to get into, I'm still experimenting, but I would like to do something like a field position rather than a desk job.

When are you planning on leaving Scott?

debaser

Smash Lord
I think he was asking what specific geologic feature you'll be looking at on the field trip (<--- also curious).

when's good for you?

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I don't know specifically. The area I'm going has all sorts of stuff: volcanics, sediments, flood basalts, accreted terraines, bent layers etc. Although those are all educated guesses. I really don't know what's going on out there, but since it is where I'll be taking field camp, I will be intimately familiar with the area by the middle of july. It's Mitchel, OR if anyone's interested or knows the area at all.

I'll also show pictures.

debaser

Smash Lord
the entire west coast is accreted terraines! you should take western us tectonics some time. it's wild stuff.

and I've been to Mitchell! it's this weird, tiny town off a rural highway. apparently the mayor will let you camp in the school park. my professor called her(?) and she let our whole class camp there I think for free iirc. that's where we camped when we went to the painted hills. I bet that's where you're going. either that or you're gonna fossil hunt. there are a **** ton out there.

debaser

Smash Lord
Sure! What would you like to know?

Let's start with the basics in case you skipped middle school. There are three main types: Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic.

Igneous is the genesis rock-straight up just cooled magma/lava. This is where it all starts. Different kinds of Igneous rocks form based on the conditions of how the magma/lava cooled. Your average joe basalts (the kinds of rock in lava fields) was just lava that cooled very quickly on the surface. Whereas stuff like granite was magma that cooled very slowly just beneath the surface. This usually happens in magma chambers within active volcanoes, but don't forget about intrusions! Generally, igneous rocks with larger crystals cooled more slowly than those with small ones. In Hawaii I came across a HUGE boulder that was FILLED with olivine crystals. Definitely ****ed a little.

anyway, once the igneous rock is formed, it begins its unfathomably long (on human timescales) journey through the rock cycle.

So there's a chunk of granite. It sat in a magma chamber for a thousand years or so, growing its quartz and feldspar phenocrysts, then got spewed out in a catastrophic eruption, unfortunately annihilating a rural village in the process. So now assuming it doesn't get found and incorporated into someones countertop it sits where it landed for a ****ing long time.

Skip ahead a few millennia...

Ok, now the granite rock is sand after years and years and years and years and years of steady erosion. Presumably on some beach. Cool.

Skip ahead, oh...I don't know, 500 million years?

So after all that time the sand that was once that granite rock got buried. Under 500 million years worth of ****. It doesn't matter what. Point is, it's under so much weight it gets compacted into a new rock. Sandstone! a sedimentary rock. a rock Frankensteined together from bits of other rock. Classifying these ****ers is a *****. Get out your petrology microscopes and tertiary diagrams! Sedimentary rocks with mostly quartz grains have been around longest because quartz is one of the most stable minerals on earth. So when all the other minerals have been weathered away, usually its just the quartz left. We call those compositionally mature.

another 500 million years go by. Human civilization has long gone, and dolphins now rule the planet. They can fly now and possess telepathy.

a tectonic plate has pushed the sandstone deeper underground. Now it is super ****ing compressed and feeling pretty hot too. Conditions like these transform the once sandstone into something else entirely. a Metamorphic rock. Perhaps it has grown new crystals like garnet or kyanite. It's structure is different now too. The growth of sheet-like biotite crystals has given the rock something that looks like layers: foliations. Now it is a schist. at super high grades (high P and T) it can become a gneiss. Nice.

Then after another several ages, the subducting tectonic plate that pushed down the sandstone is melting causing the formation of a volcanic mountain range on the surface. The gneiss melts too in this process and finds itself as magma once again in a magma chamber.

The Dolphins are now 80% incorporeal and have long since abandoned Earth. They realized that conditions will soon be unsuitable or life as the Sun swells into a red giant. Over time, it will engulf the Earth completely, and our granite will go back to the ultimate cosmic source of all the heavy elements it was comprised of.

Utrick

Smash Rookie
Any one in the Southern Oregon area? Ashland/Medford? I'm moving to Ashland in a few months and I hope to actually get into the smash scene more. My friends who played melee all switched to brawl when it came out and now refuse to play melee so I'm without people to play against :(

Surreal

Smash Ace
The closest people you're to is Sutherlin and Roseburg, and even then they're pretty far away.

Most of our scene is in northern and middle Oregon, around Corvallis and Portland. =\

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Sure! What would you like to know?

Let's start with the basics in case you skipped middle school. There are three main types: Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic.

Igneous is the genesis rock-straight up just cooled magma/lava. This is where it all starts. Different kinds of Igneous rocks form based on the conditions of how the magma/lava cooled. Your average joe basalts (the kinds of rock in lava fields) was just lava that cooled very quickly on the surface. And it comes directly from the mantle, such as mid-ocean ridges or hot spots. It's primarily orthopyroxene, clinopyroxene, and olivine, but plagioclase feldspar is a common constituent in other mafic and intermediate rocks. Basalt mostly forms in pillows under the ocean, where it flows out, is rapidly cooled by water, and then new lava comes out inbetween the new holes made inbetween old pillows. Surficial basalt doesn't happen much above sea level, except at hot spots like Hawaii, and very rarely at volcanic arc settings. Whereas stuff like granite was magma that cooled very slowly just beneath the surface. This usually happens in magma chambers within active volcanoes, but don't forget about intrusions! Granite forms because the olivines from the ocean floor and ocean water melt and rise when they're subducted under the mantle. We can tell this because rare earth metals that are in the rocks at volcanic arc are mostly hydrophyllic (dissolve in water easily) compared to mid-ocean ridge rocks, which have a much more even ratio of rare earth elements. Generally, igneous rocks with larger crystals cooled more slowly than those with small ones. Which means dating them is a hassle since the temperature at which daughter elements stick to the mineral can be any time between when it started to cool and when it was done. In Hawaii I came across a HUGE boulder that was FILLED with olivine crystals. Definitely ****ed a little.
I want that boulder.

anyway, once the igneous rock is formed, it begins its unfathomably long (on human timescales) journey through the rock cycle.

So there's a chunk of granite. It sat in a magma chamber for a thousand years or so, growing its quartz and feldspar phenocrysts, then got spewed out in a catastrophic eruption, Granite doesn't get spewed. It cools underground and is then uplifted and the surface rock is eroded to reveal the granite pluton/batholith. This happens because the convergent setting of plates adds strain to the rock, just like the accreted terrains, and it forms mountains, among other things. Rhyolite is a felsic spew rock. unfortunately annihilating a rural village in the process. So now assuming it doesn't get found and incorporated into someones countertop it sits where it landed for a ****ing long time.

Skip ahead a few millennia... Nah, in this case maybe a few hundred to a few hundred thousand years. Erosion on this small of a scale doesn't take too long. Rivers and other water related processes are extremely dynamic processes.

Ok, now the granite rock is sand after years and years and years and years and years of steady erosion. Presumably on some beach. Cool. This is called a greywacke. Unmature sandstone. It has very little silica content, and a large amount of minerals that can be chemically eroded and changed into mud, meaning it hasn't been around for a long time. Silica doesn't chemically erode, so you can generally tell how mature a sandstone is based on its silica content. You can't tell its age because you would be measuring when the grains were cooled from the volcano, not when they became a sedimentary rock.

Skip ahead, oh...I don't know, 500 million years? This is the scale having all the continents bunched together, all of them splitting apart, and then bunching back together again.

So after all that time the sand that was once that granite rock got buried. Under 500 million years worth of ****. It doesn't matter what. Point is, it's under so much weight it gets compacted into a new rock. Sandstone! a sedimentary rock. a rock Frankensteined together from bits of other rock. Classifying these ****ers is a *****. Classifying clastic rocks isn't too difficult, it just requires a good estimating eye. Classifying limestones is harder. Get out your petrology microscopes and tertiary diagrams! Sedimentary rocks with mostly quartz grains have been around longest because quartz is one of the most stable minerals on earth. So when all the other minerals have been weathered away, usually its just the quartz left. We call those compositionally mature. There is one thing I am not going to do: get out my petrography microscope to look at sedimentary rocks. Figuring out individual minerals is a *****. Or are you talking about hand lenses?

another 500 million years go by. Human civilization has long gone, and dolphins now rule the planet. They can fly now and possess telepathy. Can't argue with you there.

a tectonic plate has pushed the sandstone deeper underground. Now it is super ****ing compressed and feeling pretty hot too. Ooh the conditions for blueschist! Conditions like these transform the once sandstone into something else entirely. a Metamorphic rock. Yeah, quartzite. Perhaps it has grown new crystals like garnet or kyanite. Not with those facies you're not. It's structure is different now too. The growth of sheet-like biotite crystals has given the rock something that looks like layers: foliations. Now it is a schist. at super high grades (high P and T) it can become a gneiss. Nice. If you can definitively tell the difference between a schist and a gneiss you're a better geologist than I am.

Then after another several ages, the subducting tectonic plate that pushed down the sandstone is melting causing the formation of a volcanic mountain range on the surface. The gneiss melts too in this process and finds itself as magma once again in a magma chamber. More likely it'll be accreted onto the continent again because it's too light to be subducted into the mantle, in which case it will be part of a milange, which is apparently not an easy thing to map because it means "messed up piece of **** on a county scale."

The Dolphins are now 80% incorporeal and have long since abandoned Earth. They realized that conditions will soon be unsuitable or life as the Sun swells into a red giant. Over time, it will engulf the Earth completely, and our granite will go back to the ultimate cosmic source of all the heavy elements it was comprised of. Six billion years is a long time.
<3

I do have an IDEA of what's going on out there, I just don't know eastern oregon too well because I haven't been out there in a long time. I do know that oregon is entirely accreted terraines, and that there's more going on out there than meets the eye.

debaser

Smash Lord
lol yeah, those timescales were essentially completely random sub estimates. good work cleaning that up.

good points about the granite. I like the word "spew".

dude, there is no way I'm agreeing classifying limestones is harder. It's all carbonaceous ****. classification of them is based on shapes of the grains and the grain/matrix ratio (simplification). but there's no way it's harder than taking a clastic sedimentary thin section under the scope. Classifying clastic sedimentary rocks requires identification of different types of miniscule grains, figuring out the percentile makeup of three different types of grains and the matrix or cement which also come in varieties. Oh, and watch out for grains that are actually from other sedimentary rocks. Very minute qualities allow you to differentiate between the grains. To really accurately identify one you need to use the petrology scope and a hand lens.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
It depends on whether you're talking about classifying it based on the grainsize or the material that's in it. Classifying it on the grainsize isn't too difficult, you jut have to put it through a sieve, which isn't themost exciting thing in the world. If you classifying it based on type, you just have to be good at visual estimation. If you're classifying a sandstone, you only have to worry about three things: quartz content, feldspar and other volcanic content, and odd lithic content, and base it off of how much of what you see in there. You can get specific, but to quote a friend of mine, "Geology isn't an exact science." I've been through petrology and sed/strat, and while visual estimation isn't very fun, you can make it as easy or complicated as you want it to be.

Utrick

Smash Rookie
The closest people you're to is Sutherlin and Roseburg, and even then they're pretty far away.

Most of our scene is in northern and middle Oregon, around Corvallis and Portland. =\
It'd be cool if you put the word out on here for people in southern Oregon. My apartment is always open for nice smashers to come own me repeatedly.

debaser

Smash Lord
there are a few melee players in soregon somewhere. they're never on these forums though.

have you been on allisbrawl?

Utrick

Smash Rookie
I've been on allisbrawl, but haven't made a post yet. I'm planning on doing that later tonight. Do you expect me to find more soregoners there?

debaser

Smash Lord
maybe? better chances than on here. try to contact a dude named chaos leader. he had a couple friends at a melee fest here in eugene a few weeks ago who had some melee skills. their handles were tasty and spicy, but I've no clue if they have aib accounts. but they might be interested in playing with someone new.

debaser

Smash Lord
grats dude. nice place for your 21st.

had a ton of fun today. even though melee singes never happened and I was grumpy pants at the end. ggs everyone. see you, corvallis, at your next smashfest. :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Wait, Melee singles didn't happen?

I was wondering why that was not announced :p

I was sad, I felt really good about my Melee Marth after some friendlies I played (with t1mmy lol, but still...)

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Wait, Melee singles didn't happen?

I was wondering why that was not announced :p

I was sad, I felt really good about my Melee Marth after some friendlies I played (with t1mmy lol, but still...)
Yeah, I knew we should have done singles for both games first, then doubles if there was time.

I'm pretty disappointed and feel bad for the Melee people. It is unfair to them to wait for Brawl to finish both events before they can even start theirs.

I really wasn't given any time to work with because the Brawl events took like 90% of our allotted time and then Tuen ran a crew battle on top of that! :mad:

By the time I got to start Melee, players were in the Brawl crew battle, Black Ops, as well as playing other games because it had taken so long for Brawl to end.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh Lawd, both people seriously need to work on that, there's absolutely no reason that a scrub TO like me could get away with doing SSBB and SSBM 1v1 + 2v2 and better TOs not being able to.

debaser

Smash Lord
I don't think Tuen really understood how those university lans actually work. I can't believe he ran a brawl crew battle! Definitely not the place for that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think it would be effective if you addressed those in a panel and made sure not to get personal, but maturely bring up that you feel it was unfair that Melee was compromised for something like that, seeing as how both OSUs seemed to short change Brawl/Melee in one way or another, I think that more frequent communication between the two parties should succeed and make sure each event's needs are met and recognized before it happens in the first place.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Its all in the past now, but I will be sure to bring it up. At least the Melee players got plenty of friendlies and didn't flip out about it. I'm sure the Brawl players would have raged pretty hard if they didn't get to play singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom