• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Ridley for SSBB thread =-Version 3.0-=

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hey, I didn't know my best bud invented club R.I.D.L.E.Y. I should get in free. :grin:
best bud...well...alrighty then. no freebies though. everyone follows the same rules!

I'll draw. Please post a link of an image in my shop, so I don't forget about it. It's called "Zelda's Drawing Shop" in Artwork Emporium. I'm on a Wii right now, so I can't get you a link...
well, whatever you do, just remember to PM me with the picture AS WELL AS a good reason why you want to join this club (and it has to be well thought out, not just "I support Ridley." it has to be more than that!)

Ridley for Brawl

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Not a main antagonist? Uh, dude. Ridley's actions in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime (the first one) triggered the plot of the entire games. The only reason Samus went to Tallon IV in the first place (after the Pirate Frigate exploded) was because she was pursuing Ridley, and the only reason Samus returned to Zebes in Super Metroid was because Ridley stole the Metroid hatchling at the Ceres Station. Sounds like main antagonist material to me.

If Mother Brain's so capable as a main antagonist, why didn't she just try taking the Metroid hatchling back from the Ceres Station herself?
Ridley being a trigger means only so much. He definitely hasn't been the actual "gun" itself.

In Super Metroid, Ridley's kidnapping the metroid hatchling is the reason Samus travels to Zebes once more. But who ordered Ridley to do that? It surely wasn't his own idea. It was the Mother Brain's orders. Ridley merely carried them out, and in the process lead Samus to the rebuilt underground pirate base. Just because Mother Brain can't go out itself and carry out all of its plans doesn't mean it's incapable of being a main antagonist. Heck, thanks to Prime 3's revelatons, there is a chance for Mother Brain to make a reappearance, and I say that would signify its importance as a main antagonist. At least it would be more understandable than a Ridley reappearance.

In Metroid Prime, once again Ridley is only leading Samus to the main area. This time though he's much less of an actual trigger. The Space Pirates were already up to something foul, which was why Samus was already investigating their activity. Samus's interference on the Frigate though forced Ridley to retreat down to Tallon IV's surface. She saw him and followed suit. In actuality, I'd consider Samus herself the trigger to Prime 1's events, not Ridley. She triggered the Frigate's destruction and started off the chain of events. He was merely the evidence she needed to know something was up.

In both games, after Ridley leads Samus to the main area of activity, he pretty much is gone until much later where he takes on Samus, not as a mastermind of anything, but purely as an obstacle and her long-time enemy. (Excluding his momentary appearance over Phendrana Drifts in Prime).

I guess if you wanna use "main antagonist" as a reoccurring enemy that's important to the origins of the main character, then yeah, I guess he his a main antagonist. But I think the definition goes a little deeper than that. I'd rather call Ridley a "key antagonist" which is slightly different.

A main antagonist...at least to me... is the one always directing the plans that the hero must put an end to. Ridley's activities may help get the plot going, but he doesn't have direct influence over those plans. Mother Brain is the one in charge of turning the Metroids into personal weapons. Dark Samus is the one causing Phazon to overtake the galaxy. The X parasites are the huge threat against the universe.

What Ridley does is play his part as a sort of ambassador for the Space Pirates. He's a key figurehead in the plans, but doesn't actual administer them. This is one reason why he's a "key antagonist". Although his presence is like a huge warning sign that something bad's gonna happen, at the end of it all, stopping him doesn't end the situation. He's also a key antagonist in that he and the main hero are enemies, as declared by the story.

What we can all agree on though is that Ridley is an arch-nemesis, and that's pretty darn important.

Shuma

Smash Hero
A main antagonist...at least to me... is the one always directing the plans that the hero must put an end to.
Well... that's Ridley, Mother Brain is the advisor, it's a computer, nothing more. Ridley is the Surpreme Commander of the Space Pirates. He IS the main antagonist.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In Super Metroid, Ridley's kidnapping the metroid hatchling is the reason Samus travels to Zebes once more. But who ordered Ridley to do that? It surely wasn't his own idea. It was the Mother Brain's orders. Ridley merely carried them out, and in the process lead Samus to the rebuilt underground pirate base. Just because Mother Brain can't go out itself and carry out all of its plans doesn't mean it's incapable of being a main antagonist. Heck, thanks to Prime 3's revelatons, there is a chance for Mother Brain to make a reappearance, and I say that would signify its importance as a main antagonist. At least it would be more understandable than a Ridley reappearance.
Hmm. You seem to have a point there on some parts...

The way I see it though (concerning the whole Aurora Unit thing) is that Mother Brain was simply the basis for the GF Aurora Units. The AUs are different (as seen by the fact the organic brain material is covered in metallic armor of sorts), but no AU is good or evil. Since they are still computers (though incredibly advanced), they can be programmed to whatever the user wishes (or in the case, the Space Pirates). Mother Brain was technically not evil. She was simply doing her programmed job of aiding/guiding the Pirates with her advanced knowledge and defending the Pirate base on Zebes (also known as Tourian).

After all, in the Metroid e-manga, the Chozo are shown relying on the Mother Brain's intelligence (which whom they created) to guide them and stuff, as they were shown to be a declining race. After the Pirates invade the Chozo on Zebes and take Mother Brain away from them however (later on), Mother Brain ends up aiding the Pirates (Ridley included) with her advanced knowledge in the same way it aided the Chozo. When Ridley learned of the last remaining Metroid in the universe being delivered to the Ceres Station, he probably relied on Mother Brain's advanced knowledge on what to do next (just like how Samus had to rely on the intelligence of the AU on the G.F.S. Olympus and the AU on Elysia on what to do next in her mission), not necessarily "following orders" per se.

And as far as Space Pirates in the e-manga go, it was Ridley who was shown ordering them to invade the planet K-2L, not Mother Brain, as it was instead shown guiding the Chozo (like I said earlier in the previous paragraph).

In Metroid Prime, once again Ridley is only leading Samus to the main area. This time though he's much less of an actual trigger. The Space Pirates were already up to something foul, which was why Samus was already investigating their activity. Samus's interference on the Frigate though forced Ridley to retreat down to Tallon IV's surface. She saw him and followed suit. In actuality, I'd consider Samus herself the trigger to Prime 1's events, not Ridley. She triggered the Frigate's destruction and started off the chain of events. He was merely the evidence she needed to know something was up.
Hmm. I guess I can't really argue with ya there, though if Ridley hadn't of flown to Tallon IV right after the Pirate Frigate exploded, Samus wouldn't have gone to Tallon IV either (and thus wouldn't have ended up foiling the Pirate's plans in the end). That's the only point I was trying to make (as far as Metroid Prime is concerned).
Guess I should've said Ridley flying to Tallon IV was what triggered the events of the rest of the game (after the prologue).

In both games, after Ridley leads Samus to the main area of activity, he pretty much is gone until much later where he takes on Samus, not as a mastermind of anything, but purely as an obstacle and her long-time enemy. (Excluding his momentary appearance over Phendrana Drifts in Prime).
Not a mastermind you say? After the beginning and before the end of the 2 games, Ridley was hanging around (mostly behind the scenes) to oversee major operations (and to act as an enforcer), such as the Phazon mining on Tallon IV and the protection of the Space Pirate base on Zebes. The fact he momentarily appeared over Phendrana Drifts (as you said) supports this (except on that part, he was likely just overseeing the progress/functionality of the Pirate base on Phendrana, and to make sure the Pirates there were doing their job and all that).

So, yeah. Going by that, Ridley pretty much was a mastermind there (one of them. The other being High Command, whose constantly referred to in the Pirate Logs, but is never actually encountered by Samus).

I guess if you wanna use "main antagonist" as a reoccurring enemy that's important to the origins of the main character, then yeah, I guess he his a main antagonist.
Well... yeah. That's usually what I mean when I refer to him as a main antagonist, but I guess calling him a key antagonist works just as well (if not better).

Mother Brain is the one in charge of turning the Metroids into personal weapons.
Hmm. Yes. I suppose (Mother Brain can breed Metroids too, which was most of the reason it was created by the Chozo in the Metroid e-manga. The e-manga was created by Yoshio Sakamoto too, so it's every bit as canon to the series as the games are).

Mother Brain didn't have anything to do with the Metroids that were roaming around SR-388 (in Metroid II), however.

Dark Samus is the one causing Phazon to overtake the galaxy.
While that's true for the most part, Dark Samus wasn't necessarily the source of it all (the Phazon, I mean). It was more-so the planet Phaaze itself, as the Phazon meteors that impacted Tallon IV and Aether were obviously Leviathans (it's just the identity of Leviathans wasn't known before Metroid Prime 3 came out), and defeating the corrupted creature that was guarding the Leviathan seed on Tallon IV (Metroid Prime) resulted in Samus' Phazon Suit getting stolen and MP being reborn as Dark Samus.

Still, the planet Phaaze itself was still the real cause of Phazon overtaking the galaxy, not Metroid Prime/Dark Samus. MP/DS was just helping the progression of further Phazon spread across the universe, which the existence of Phaaze had started.

What we can all agree on though is that Ridley is an arch-nemesis, and that's pretty darn important.
Yeah. True that...

Well... that's Ridley, Mother Brain is the advisor, it's a computer, nothing more. Ridley is the Surpreme Commander of the Space Pirates. He IS the main antagonist.
Well, I agree on the part that Mother Brain's the advisor (since that's pretty much the role of the Aurora Units, apparently. Assuming Mother Brain is one). Rather than being THE main antagonist though, I consider Ridley to be A main antagonist (High Command being another).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Me being a pure Ridley fan would want this but think about it.

Ridley is the rival from pokemon?
Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green only...

He uses Dragon only pokemon and randomly attacks in battle as well...

His sprite is too big for the screen...

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
How do i get into club Ridley, I want in!!!

Also Ridley for Brawl!!!

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green only...

He uses Dragon only pokemon and randomly attacks in battle as well...

His sprite is too big for the screen...

okay lol to that but i was meaning.
ridley is mini-boss
so is the pokemon rival.
mother brain being final boss
elite four being final boss...
Rival makes the champion.
Ridley leading to power of the space pirates.

see its all similar.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ridley is a high ranking Space Pirate for sure...but "Supreme Commander"? I wouldn't go that far. He's more like a 1-star General.

I have to keep in mind of "High Command", which never seems to make a full appearance. The Space Pirates make mention of "High Command", but they never actually mention Ridley among the same lines. As I see it, Ridley is only underneath the highest order of the Space Pirates. That's still pretty major. He commands major Pirate operations and can even lead entire fleets in battle. But from the way things have played out, Ridley's more likely taking orders from a higher command.

Maybe...just maybe at the most, Ridley is one of several kinds of High Command. Maybe he's the war tactian, and there are others that serve other roles, like research director, resources director, master architect...or something like that. Possibly, if the story allowed, Kraid would also assume a role as part of High Command. A top-command group of elite alien beasts.... That would be pretty cool.

But as for "Supreme Commander", I definitely have my doubts. The information of Ridley being "leader of Space Pirates" tends to conflict at times. Sometimes it seems he's leader of ALL pirates...and sometimes it seems he's leader (overseer) of a large pirate operation. I just don't see it though as enough information to declare him the ultimate leader.

I do understand what you mean regarding Mother Brain....but then again, it seems Ridley was under its jurisdiction while on Zebes, so it seemed to have greater influence than that of just an "advisor".

I guess the problem I have is that Ridley's defeat never seems to put an end to all the trouble. It does pretty much put an end to the most current Space Pirate threat, but never the ultimate threat. Also, I would think Ridley's deaths would be a whole lot more traumatic to the Pirate organization if their supreme commander fell to one (albeit poweful) person. That's why I think that at the least, there are others like Ridley, if not above him, running the organization.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
okay lol to that but i was meaning.
ridley is mini-boss
so is the pokemon rival.
mother brain being final boss
elite four being final boss...
Rival makes the champion.
Ridley leading to power of the space pirates.

see its all similar.
i need some one to tell me if this is true plz...

i made this on paint.the structer isnt mine though :(
i think it isnt bad for my first ridley paint look emm thing...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hey, I'm drawing an MSPaint Ridley! Stay off mah turf! =P

And I'm reading the Metroid Wikipage to get more info on Ridley.

So from what I've seen, Ridley is indeed "Supreme Commander", and yet this rank was given to him by High Command. Also, his spaceship, Avenger, is also the mobile Space Pirates HQ.

It still seems weird to me. If Ridley can be "Supreme Commander", but there still be a group of influences above him, what exactly is the Space Pirate Organization then anyway?

I like my theory that Ridley is part of High Command, but oversees a distinct part of the organization, while others oversee different aspects.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
"Supreme command of the *insert random assortment of letters and numbers here* sector"

Thats how I see it... he isn't the most powerful space pirate thing in the world but he very powerful... he likely only takes orders from high command which... control ALL space pirates.

But you see he does a lot of things... high command likely assigned him to Tallon 4 because it was one of their most important priorities.

Now you see if Samus were to kill high command that would deliver a massive blow to the space pirates because well... they are their leader. Same with Ridley except not on such a large scale: The space pirates of Zebes were likely devastated by the defeat of Ridley.

Now then im just trailing off onto random points and speculation so ignore me.

Ninjuku

Smash Journeyman
I see Ridley as the leader of the space pirates armed forces, who takes orders from the political spectrum of the spce pirate society (i.e. High Command). Its extremely obvious that Ridlley is important to the series and is the main recurring antagonist of the Metroid series.
Besides the guy making this game, you know the one who picks the characters and such, said that Ridley was Samus' main arch-nemesis, and in the long run, doesnt that guy's opinion on who is what hold more weight as to the character selection than ours.
Just saying.

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL!!!

Shuma

Smash Hero
What? so you're saying a Purple Alien Space Pirate Dragon is not sexy? blasphemy! Ridley is more sexy than George Clooney.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
"Crotch protector" LMAO dont you mean cup? (Unless your some sort of body guard that protects peoples cups)

Anyways... SEXUAL INNUENDO FTW!

Ridley 4or 8rawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom