• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wowie there's some good ones in there. I like the direction it's going :)

As for the exception. I'm not sure but maybe it has to do with this note about persona 3: "The protagonist can use any weapon in Persona 3 and FES, but in Portable he is restricted to one-handed swords, which are differentiated from Mitsuru's rapiers. The female protagonist exclusively uses naginatas. "

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wowie there's some good ones in there. I like the direction it's going :)

As for the exception. I'm not sure but maybe it has to do with this note about persona 3: "The protagonist can use any weapon in Persona 3 and FES, but in Portable he is restricted to one-handed swords, which are differentiated from Mitsuru's rapiers. The female protagonist exclusively uses naginatas. "
So what you are saying is that maybe she could wield more than one weapon? I kinda doubt it, considering the format P5 has made for itself. The fact that she has entirely unique weapons to her only make this more unlikely.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what you are saying is that maybe she could wield more than one weapon? I kinda doubt it, considering the format P5 has made for itself. The fact that she has entirely unique weapons to her only make this more unlikely.
Well there's two things. The first is that p5r could have a different equipment structure, kinda like p3 and p3p.
The second is that.. it doesn't have to be totally canon, as smash characters have proved. It'd be a bit weird since she's a newer character, but just that there's games where it's restricted and others where it isn't as much may be enough to say well hey people using weapons.. it doesnt just have to be restricted to one kind.

But other than that, for all we know she could be able to use both pistols and rifles. Of course it's kind of hard to bank on something like that, and I'm not saying to do that, just that there could potentially be some flexibility. Which she probably has cuz she's a gymnast (i know it's not the same, just roll with it .. ;p)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think her confidant will be? It has not been shown as of yet.

My bet is on her being a Jester if it's one from a past game, though they might make something new like they did for the counselor.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, what do you guys think her confidant will be? It has not been shown as of yet.

My bet is on her being a Jester if it's one from a past game, though they might make something new like they did for the counselor.
Nah i donf feel she fits jester anymore, now that we know more about her. imo. But maybe, or maybe the new school staff guy could be.
I would say she could be star or moon if there werent already confidants for those... so i dunno :p

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nah i donf feel she fits jester anymore, now that we know more about her. imo. But maybe, or maybe the new school staff guy could be.
I would say she could be star or moon if there werent already confidants for those... so i dunno :p
Why do you think she doesn't fit Jester anymore? Also Takuto has already been revealed as a new arcana, the Consultant, which appears to be an alternate version of the Magician. Unless they make alternate versions of them, the Sun and Moon has already been taken.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why do you think she doesn't fit Jester anymore? Also Takuto has already been revealed as a new arcana, the Consultant, which appears to be an alternate version of the Magician. Unless they make alternate versions of them, the Sun and Moon has already been taken.
Well, looking at what the jester represents and the confidant we have for reference, she doesnt seem to fit that.
"In the case of the Jester, the querent is misguided and unwilling to work with others, in contrast to the Fool, who is compatible with everyone. Ultimately, the Jester acts like a fool instead of genuinely being a fool. "

It doesnt seem to me that she acts like a fool at all. She seems true to herself and may have more of a duality than a front. Adachi was a funny person in the story and had a hidden side (that has quite a lot to it, which i dont have to get into for spoiler reasons, but yeah.)
Also, the game uses both jester and hunger arcana the same way, except if you go the jester route you kind of **** things up. It's just an odd arcana and I dont think a party member like her would have it. That said we still dont fully know everything (including about her), so maybe there's more to it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, looking at what the jester represents and the confidant we have for reference, she doesnt seem to fit that.
"In the case of the Jester, the querent is misguided and unwilling to work with others, in contrast to the Fool, who is compatible with everyone. Ultimately, the Jester acts like a fool instead of genuinely being a fool. "

It doesnt seem to me that she acts like a fool at all. She seems true to herself and may have more of a duality than a front. Adachi was a funny person in the story and had a hidden side (that has quite a lot to it, which i dont have to get into for spoiler reasons, but yeah.)
Also, the game uses both jester and hunger arcana the same way, except if you go the jester route you kind of **** things up. It's just an odd arcana and I dont think a party member like her would have it. That said we still dont fully know everything (including about her), so maybe there's more to it.
That makes sense, though it is made clear that she is hiding something when it comes to her motives for joining the Phantom Thieves. I will say however, I think the Jester can exist without the Hunger.

Anyway, here is today's batch Kasumi fan art(I am finally getting starting to remember her name rather than defaulting to Jane).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
1556224261366.png

ah ****, i can't believe you've done this

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is actually amazing. If you keep feeling like sharing some, I love it. The quality and everything just seems to get better and better, and I just like some of these quite a lot :D

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is actually amazing. If you keep feeling like sharing some, I love it. The quality and everything just seems to get better and better, and I just like some of these quite a lot :D
I will do so every once and awhile. Kasumi has gotten tons of art due to s learning more, so it won't take long.

Where do you guys think Kasumi's alliances truly lie?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
She'll be the Fujiko; siding with whoever provides the most benefits for her at the time.
I have no clue who that is and I don't think that is quite the case. She will likely be changing sides(Possible multiple times), but I don't think it would be for something like that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have no clue who that is and I don't think that is quite the case. She will likely be changing sides(Possible multiple times), but I don't think it would be for something like that.
In any case, it'd be similar in spirit, but with the end goal in this case being much different and presumably more meaningful. Darn, guess my Lupin III reference failed.

Maybe even try to get Akechi to be a little less of a **** while she's at it.

Edit: Got a few good Kasumi arts here:

D5DYQ6vU0AAfpgn.jpg

https://twitter.com/true_jek_art/status/1121634171980378114

D5FhJoqVUAANaWk.jpg

https://twitter.com/savisavichan/status/1121784619467198465

D4_BEdDWAAALCGP.jpg

https://twitter.com/givemequartzplz/status/1121327442654912513

D5ACwc-UcAUI2jj.jpg

https://twitter.com/nakano0829/status/1121399344207286272

Last edited:

Ixanna

Smash Rookie
I also want to point out that she has a black mask

So she might be the original antagonist of persona 5 R, and then switches sides

Since I've always felt The current "man in the black mask" seemed to have a weird characterization. It seemed like they combined two characters to create his story, so perhaps they've split up his story to make more sense.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In any case, it'd be similar in spirit, but with the end goal in this case being much different and presumably more meaningful. Darn, guess my Lupin III reference failed.

View attachment 212877

View attachment 212878

View attachment 212879

View attachment 212881

Pretty cool, though I do recommend putting a bunch of art into a spoiler tab. If someone comes here by notification, it causes the screen to shift a bit otherwise.
I shall respond in kind.
I also want to point out that she has a black mask

So she might be the original antagonist of persona 5 R, and then switches sides
So you think they are going to try and pull a switch on us? I will say, I have not thought of it from that angle. The Phantom Thieves could suspect her of such at the start, just like Haru. Though, I think it really depends on if they see her in thief garb before...
they get blackmailed by Akechi and realize he is going to betray them.
Edit:
Also, welcome new user!

Last edited:

Ixanna

Smash Rookie
Pretty cool, though I do recommend putting a bunch of art into a spoiler tab. If someone comes here by notification, it causes the screen to shift a bit otherwise.
I shall respond in kind.

So you think they are going to try and pull a switch on us? I will say, I have not thought of it from that angle. The Phantom Thieves could suspect her of such at the start, just like Haru. Though, I think it really depends on if they see her in thief garb before...
Edit:
Also, welcome new user!
Yea I made an account to add info

Ixanna

Smash Rookie
But to be clear, I also think she will replace the "man in the black mask", since she believes we decide in our own happiness, and she mentions in the trailer that she stole peoples' dreams. and " the current man in the black mask" will just become a regular confidant, or even replace Sae's role in the story

Teeb147

Smash Legend

View attachment 212877

View attachment 212878

View attachment 212879

View attachment 212881

I shall respond in kind.

Edit:
Also, welcome new user!
Dang they are rolling in! Really cool. :)

But to be clear, I also think she will replace the "man in the black mask", since she believes we decide in our own happiness, and she mentions in the trailer that she stole peoples' dreams. and " the current man in the black mask" will just become a regular confidant, or even replace Sae's role in the story
Hello n glad to have you around.
I dont think that's gonna be how she is at all, but are you saying a translation of the newest trailer has some things around that?
If you have some links to that please share, we havent really talked around what was said in japanese.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I shall respond in kind.

Edit:
Also, welcome new user!
Done and done. I did see some of these incidentally (and I did hesitate on posting the outfit-swap one, hah).

That would fit. I could see a "it wasn't me this time, I swear to god!" situation.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iMYscmhemI this is the english subtitled trailer
I think Akechi will still be the Black Mask, as he is the one talking to beat up Joker in the beginning(And he appears to be the moment where he pulled off the trap that had been set up). The meaning behind his words, however, that I am finding hard to understand.

Edit:
Linking this because it's mostly Kasumi art.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Someone posted this on discord.
1556656342772.png

They said they found it on smash boards. Do you guys know if it's from an official source? Has it been discussed here?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Someone posted this on discord.View attachment 214233
They said they found it on smash boards. Do you guys know if it's from an official source? Has it been discussed here?
i posted this on the ultimate social thread after a friend of mine sent it to me - he doesn't have any interest in smash, so his reason for sending it was more to highlight the whole 'obsessive fan' thing than her similar fighting style. if they found it on smashboards it was probably from my post, but at the very least, it originates from somewhere on discord.

'loony fan' is a TV tropes trope, so i can only assume it's from some iteration (not necessarily current) of the royal's page or the pages detailing the phantom thieves - anyone can edit TV tropes, and no citations are required, so it's much less reliable than waiting for an official translator. still, it would seem an odd thing to just make up, given that loony fan is an actual trope on the site with hundreds of listed examples.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Something not related to Smash but more related to her as a party member, I wonder what her role in the party will be (assuming PV stats aren't final because a third Physical attacker seems kinda weird IMHO) because the only thing I can think of is to take skills from Haru's and Akechi's kits while also rebalancing those two due to them having skill bloat.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i posted this on the ultimate social thread after a friend of mine sent it to me - he doesn't have any interest in smash, so his reason for sending it was more to highlight the whole 'obsessive fan' thing than her similar fighting style. if they found it on smashboards it was probably from my post, but at the very least, it originates from somewhere on discord.

'loony fan' is a TV tropes trope, so i can only assume it's from some iteration (not necessarily current) of the royal's page or the pages detailing the phantom thieves - anyone can edit TV tropes, and no citations are required, so it's much less reliable than waiting for an official translator. still, it would seem an odd thing to just make up, given that loony fan is an actual trope on the site with hundreds of listed examples.
Seems to me like they wanted to put it on the Wild Mass Guessing page, but somehow screwed up so badly that they ended up in the character page, and deleted their mistake a few minutes later in the hopes that no one would notice.

It's not that Loony Fan didn't exist (it does, for ages), but more that we don't have any proof of Kasumi having that character trait so far.

By the way, I saw you post something interesting in regards to Joker's gun animation in the general, this might seem more important.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Seems to me like they wanted to put it on the Wild Mass Guessing page, but somehow screwed up so badly that they ended up in the character page, and deleted their mistake a few minutes later in the hopes that no one would notice.

It's not that Loony Fan didn't exist (it does, for ages), but more that we don't have any proof of Kasumi having that character trait so far.
We know that she admires Joker(It says on much in her description from what I recall}, but she does not seem to be loony about it. Though, the fact that her perception of rebellion is so similar to Jokers might say something about her in this regard.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

By the way, I saw you post something interesting in regards to Joker's gun animation in the general, this might seem more important.
it's possible the tv tropes entry was meant for the wild mass guessing page, but it wouldn't explain why it seems to directly reference promotional material

more likely, it was someone jumping the gun on an early translation (or mistranslation) of the latest famitsu info, which stated she has an admiration for/connection with joker. i saw a few translations saying that the admiration is the reason for her copying joker's thief appearance, but most translations like mysticdistance's have just settled on the 'admiration' bit without going any further.

as for the gun post, which i'll quote here

you know i find it kinda funny that joker's various hunched-down gun stances in smash are nothing like the original stance in p5

View attachment 214275View attachment 214277

it's almost like

oh

oh god

this ****post is only 75% serious
more seriously, if this can be called a 'theory', then it's only to the extent that joker's gun animations might be accommodating for the vertical (height) properties/hitboxes of kasumi's version, since from what little we've seen, she doesn't fully stand for her gun attacks. i'd expect an actual kasumi echo to change up the animations, dark samus style, to more closely match her ingame appearance--only the vertical position of the gun's hitboxes would be carried over from joker.

interestingly, it also seems widely agreed now that her gun is a winchester hunting rifle, not a shotgun - so it could be a longer range but less rate of fire type of deal, similar to how her sword would also make her a longer-range joker.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So I decided to look at Kasumi's character page on TV Tropes due the trope discussion that happened earlier and found an interesting point to look at. This was under "Distaff Counterpart:"
"Her gun-of-choice also indirectly mirrors Joker in a way: a lever-action rifle, while not Joker's main type of gun, is the type wielded by
Satanael, Joker's Ultimate Persona."

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I decided to look at Kasumi's character page on TV Tropes due the trope discussion that happened earlier and found an interesting point to look at. This was under "Distaff Counterpart:"
"Her gun-of-choice also indirectly mirrors Joker in a way: a lever-action rifle, while not Joker's main type of gun, is the type wielded by
Satanael, Joker's Ultimate Persona."
Interesting ideas going around here :)
I dunno if I would say the persona has that type of gun, since it seems like a mix of a rifle and a sword.

I think the stance is more interesting than the other stuff, but i do wonder how her style is related to joker in whatever way.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I dunno if I would say the persona has that type of gun, since it seems like a mix of a rifle and a sword.

I think the stance is more interesting than the other stuff, but i do wonder how her style is related to joker in whatever way.
i also noticed that in a comparison of ren and kasumi's critical hit animations, they move almost identically

they're playing up the parallels big time, echo or not

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think it's that type of gun, as the trigger and length is very distinct. However, if that also functions as a sword, that further connects him to the sword wielding Kasum.
i also noticed that in a comparison of ren and kasumi's critical hit animations, they move almost identically

I recall that similarity was part of the reason I thought she was holding a knife. I paused on a moment where it looked ratger small and the fact she weilded it that way made me assume that. I wonder if there is any other parallels we can find.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

That's really cool. You know that's interesting that joker has large trails on his knife attacks there, it almost looks like sword attacks.
I think it's that type of gun, as the trigger and length is very distinct. However, if that also functions as a sword, that further connects him to the sword wielding Kasum.

I recall that similarity was part of the reason I thought she was holding a knife. I paused on a moment where it looked ratger small and the fact she weilded it that way made me assume that. I wonder if there is any other parallels we can find.
I guess. I dont see it as that big of a thing though. But in any case, I think we can say that they do have some parallels.
I just hope we'll actually find out if there's anything in smash. Only 8 days left until we know more info on p5r, so that's something :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's been a couple days, so guess what?

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrmilleF/status/1122341481484652545

https://mobile.twitter.com/RENAMAMlYA/status/1122631974559072258

https://mobile.twitter.com/zerosshadows/status/1121950875218526208

https://mobile.twitter.com/tyo197snH/status/1122496467824857088

https://mobile.twitter.com/ibisF5/status/1122479908054126594

https://mobile.twitter.com/iincos/status/1122696409227022337

https://mobile.twitter.com/hoo_boii/status/1122700135874449408

https://mobile.twitter.com/Byoru_zzZ/status/1122879189235843073

https://mobile.twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1123063454770896897

https://mobile.twitter.com/kiyomiya682/status/1122847116794023936

https://mobile.twitter.com/liyart_/status/1123233053608960005

https://mobile.twitter.com/koromarunrun/status/1123199787753279488

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukitakeponz/status/1123100383285407751

https://mobile.twitter.com/yue_080/status/1123319197788823552

https://mobile.twitter.com/letter_iota/status/1123275970260025344

https://mobile.twitter.com/Master_Hands/status/1122020989892612097

https://mobile.twitter.com/akcmonzip/status/1123612086716682240

https://mobile.twitter.com/Freed_Alice/status/1123644483436982273

https://mobile.twitter.com/nekonbini/status/1123578365863190529

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteamyTomatoes/status/1123998855027134465

https://mobile.twitter.com/nite_catcher/status/1124367264210272256

https://mobile.twitter.com/CometSams/status/1121286035340533761

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarGlowTweet/status/1121837193138450441

https://mobile.twitter.com/kankankanro7/status/1123837763877580801

https://mobile.twitter.com/lemontea_star/status/1123926901104553984

https://mobile.twitter.com/mozuyun/status/1124325701790732288

And clearly, the most relevant picture of them all...

https://mobile.twitter.com/artiKun0/status/1122239554566574080

I find it hilarious that Kasumi is sen as such a big eater. It makes sense though, considering the size of her bento box.
Anyway, how do you think they would handle her alts? Would they do something similar to what they did with Joker or would they try a different theme?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Would they do something similar to what they did with Joker or would they try a different theme?
probably a uniform skin, but also since she's a party member, skins for the other party members (excluding maybe morgana because he's already featured in joker's taunts/victory poses etc., and akechi because joker's got his skin already)

something like:
  • kasumi
  • uniform
  • ryuji
  • ann
  • yusuke
  • makoto
  • futaba
  • haru

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
probably a uniform skin, but also since she's a party member, skins for the other party members (excluding maybe morgana because he's already featured in joker's taunts/victory poses etc., and akech because joker's got his skin already)

something like:
  • kasumi
  • uniform
  • ryuji
  • ann
  • yusuke
  • makoto
  • futaba
  • haru
That would make sense. I was rather surprised they didn't go with that in the first place, but I would be more than happy to see her do it. The fact that we can fit everyone in makes it even better.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's been a couple days, so guess what?

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrmilleF/status/1122341481484652545

https://mobile.twitter.com/RENAMAMlYA/status/1122631974559072258

https://mobile.twitter.com/zerosshadows/status/1121950875218526208

https://mobile.twitter.com/tyo197snH/status/1122496467824857088

https://mobile.twitter.com/ibisF5/status/1122479908054126594

https://mobile.twitter.com/iincos/status/1122696409227022337

https://mobile.twitter.com/hoo_boii/status/1122700135874449408

https://mobile.twitter.com/Byoru_zzZ/status/1122879189235843073

https://mobile.twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1123063454770896897

https://mobile.twitter.com/kiyomiya682/status/1122847116794023936

https://mobile.twitter.com/liyart_/status/1123233053608960005

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukitakeponz/status/1123100383285407751

https://mobile.twitter.com/yue_080/status/1123319197788823552

https://mobile.twitter.com/letter_iota/status/1123275970260025344

https://mobile.twitter.com/Master_Hands/status/1122020989892612097

https://mobile.twitter.com/akcmonzip/status/1123612086716682240

https://mobile.twitter.com/Freed_Alice/status/1123644483436982273

https://mobile.twitter.com/nekonbini/status/1123578365863190529

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteamyTomatoes/status/1123998855027134465

https://mobile.twitter.com/nite_catcher/status/1124367264210272256

https://mobile.twitter.com/CometSams/status/1121286035340533761

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarGlowTweet/status/1121837193138450441

https://mobile.twitter.com/kankankanro7/status/1123837763877580801

https://mobile.twitter.com/lemontea_star/status/1123926901104553984

https://mobile.twitter.com/mozuyun/status/1124325701790732288

And clearly, the most relevant picture of them all...

https://mobile.twitter.com/artiKun0/status/1122239554566574080

I find it hilarious that Kasumi is sen as such a big eater. It makes sense though, considering the size of her bento box.
Anyway, how do you think they would handle her alts? Would they do something similar to what they did with Joker or would they try a different theme?
Quite a lot :O Good job once again.

I still haven't looked at anything more yet I'm sure I will before next week.
For the alts, I think they'd go with the same formula (2 alts dedicated to school uniform), and we'd see a few female colors, like the p3p femc and then some party members.

Last edited:
Top Bottom