• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Mewtwo Thread

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
While Mewtwo doesn't actually have relevance to the story(game), he is an important pokemon. The strongest legendary of the first generation. There aren't really any legendaries that would work for Brawl other than Mewtwo...most of them are gigantic.
Are you talking about the SE? What about Rayquaza, he is pretty big. They can just resize pokemon.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Why Should He Return?
A) He is heavy
B) He has a different style than many other characters
C) He is legendary (Pokemon should always have a legendary rep)
D) He can easily be pumped up
E) Faster running speed, less lag when starting up if nothing else.
F) Longer range on grabs, where does it say that mewtwo has to touch it to grab something?
G) Gliding ability, Mewtwo can levitate, and it'd be awesome if he could glide of float.
H) Stronger attacks, mewtwo is known for its TREMENDOUS attack.
I) Faster attack speed, Mewtwo is also known for its blindingly fast speed.
J) More weight, 269lbs ain't that big, but certainly ain't small.
K)More knockback in attacks, so he can send a Rhyhorn flying in the movie, but can't do it to Pichu and Jigglypuff in Melee?
L) Different A,A,A attacks, were these ever useful in Melee??
M) Keep everything else, floatyness was what made him KING of recovery.
I think you're accidently mixing two sections together here...

Kilroy71

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about the SE? What about Rayquaza, he is pretty big. Can can just resize pokemon.
I believe you misunderstood me. I meant that Mewtwo is one of the only legendary pokemon that work well as a playable character. Most of the legendaries are a)huge and b)awkwardly shaped. For instance, Kyogre could definetely be a boss, but I couldn't imagine playing as him. Just about all of the legendaries could be bosses as most bosses are supposed to be gigantic, whereas these gigantic boss characters wouldn't work as a playable character.

I believe you misunderstood me. I meant that Mewtwo is one of the only legendary pokemon that work well as a playable character. Most of the legendaries are a)huge and b)awkwardly shaped. For instance, Kyogre could definetely be a boss, but I couldn't imagine playing as him. Just about all of the legendaries could be bosses as most bosses are supposed to be gigantic, whereas these gigantic boss characters wouldn't work as a playable character.
Agreed. The only other Legendary Pokémon I could see as playable characters was confirmed as an item Pokémon on July 17th.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
In that case..yeah I agree.

although rare i dont think Mewtwo would count as a legendary pokemon...Mew yes...but not Mewtwo (^^)v
Canonically, there is only one Mewtwo, in both the games and the anime, so he's more than just 'rare'. He's a clone of a Legendary Pokémon, and he has every characteristic of a typical Legendary Pokémon too, so how isn't he considered Legendary?

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Canonically, there is only one Mewtwo, in both the games and the anime, so he's more than just 'rare'. He's a clone of a Legendary Pokémon, and he has every characteristic of a typical Legendary Pokémon too, so how isn't he considered Legendary?
but thats what he is though, a clone. something that can be created like that through Science and technology is not considered legendary, and although his origin was in fact from a fossilized eyebrow (was it an eye brow???) of Mew, he really has no stories, Myths or Legends about him. thats what i mean senor (^^)v

Mewtwo has the genes of a legendary though, right? :]
that is tru XDDDDDD

I dont get one thing though ...if Mewtwo is 150...and Mew is 151....but y did Mewtwo com after Mew???

Fawriel

Smash Master
but thats what he is though, a clone. something that can be created like that through Science and technology is not considered legendary, and although his origin was in fact from a fossilized eyebrow (was it an eye brow???) of Mew, he really has no stories, Myths or Legends about him. thats what i mean senor (^^)v
Just call him "urban legendary" or something. The point is that "legendary" is not to be taken literally. It just describes those certain unique Pokemon who have a special role in the world.

I dont get one thing though ...if Mewtwo is 150...and Mew is 151....but y did Mewtwo com after Mew???
Why is Bulbasaur number 1? Hardly because it's the first Pokemon in existence, or the first one that a normal person would encounter in their lives... it's just one of the first you meet in the game.
The whole numbering system makes no sense in the least if you translate it into real-life logic, so just nod and smile.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
thats true mewtwo is created from mew but the real point of legendary pk is that you can only find 1 or little of them anywhere....ex. mewtwo can only be found once in one place ( the cerulean cave)

and yeah wit a different side b but i wouldnt mind the down b if the range was larger or sometin that could make the move better

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
I think the dex numbering system grew out of Oak's boredom. One day, he wanted to make a catalog of all the pokemon, so he randomly started picking up pokeballs and writing down stuff about whatever came out. Using his stash of Rare Candies, he evolved them all, and then deleted all the data so the protagonist of R/G/B/Y could redo all his work. Either that or a random number generator could've been accidentally programmed into the dex... Yeah.

Anyway, I must say that all these "Lucario replaces Mewtwo" topics are getting me down. It is easy enough to ignore them and blame them on liars/misinformation, but that thought is always in the back of your head. "Serebii is hardly ever wrong" and "multiple threads say so" etc. On the other hand, taking Mewtwo out is a mistake I would hope Sakurai realizes. Most older Smash fans didn't know who lucario was until he started plaguing the boards, and those older people are going to buy Brawl. The same thing with Lucas, really...

Shaken but not beaten, -Oath

PS: Mewtwo for Brawl, of course. *glares at Lucario*

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Anyway, I must say that all these "Lucario replaces Mewtwo" topics are getting me down. It is easy enough to ignore them and blame them on liars/misinformation, but that thought is always in the back of your head. "Serebii is hardly ever wrong" and "multiple threads say so" etc. On the other hand, taking Mewtwo out is a mistake I would hope Sakurai realizes. Most older Smash fans didn't know who lucario was until he started plaguing the boards, and those older people are going to buy Brawl. The same thing with Lucas, really...
I hear ya.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
Oathblivion said:
Same Here, It makes no sense to replace a Psychic Pokémon with a Fighter I believe, Besides I don't stand Ninja Dogs.

I would also like to join the ranks. :)

:034:

Smash Hero
I have thought of a possible Final Smash.

In the Pokémon Special manga...

I think you get the idea. Mewtwo would create his vortex seen in the manga to suck up his enemies and do some massive damage. However, this is not a killing move. You have to kill your opponents yourself, so this move should only be used when your opponents are at low percentages.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
Flying Dutchman said:
I think you get the idea. Mewtwo would create his vortex seen in the manga to suck up his enemies and do some massive damage. However, this is not a killing move. You have to kill your opponents yourself, so this move should only be used when your opponents are at low percentages.
How would projectiles react to it? I think Projectiles should be reflected with more Speed.

I like the idea.

No, no. One person came up with that idea and decided to post a fake spoiler about it. Then all of the other losers just hopped on the bandwagon and did the same thing when they started their rumors. There is still no logical evidence to suggest Mewtwo will be replaced by Lucario anymore than Jigglypuff will.

That attack looks pretty cool, actually. I never thought of Psywave as a really strong attack. But if Mewtwo can move around while he has the psychic tornado of death whirling around him, that would make for a sweet Final Smash.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
thats exactly why he should be a "legendary" pokemon and not a "Mythic" pokemon, like lugia, unkown or arcanine... ( if i recall good , arcanine was a mythic pokemon)...

there is a great difference betwen myth and legend, althought the term "legendary pokemon" is used in pokemon only to say that you have only one chance of capturing that pokemon in teh whole game...

as for mewtwo attacks, i have read the idea for the final smash, and it's pretty nice.

As a mewtwo player i could make a list of the "improvements" and "ideas" that mewtwo should have...

1. the only move that should be higly reworked is confusion... in melee that moves just plainly suck.. i have posted my alternative to rework confusion in the other mewtwo post but i will repost the idea here:

as everyone should know, mewtwo is excellent throwing items, a quallity not always apreciated in itemless settings. the idea of the "Improved Confusion" is that whenever mewtwo doesn't have an item stored and succesfully hit a projectile with confusion, he "captures" that proyectiles and "stores" it like he have picked an item, giving the possibility of throwing the projectile in every direction he could normaly thrown an item whenever he desires, the proyectile would still be doing normal damage ( a samus's full charged beam would be still deadly, as an mario fireball would be still usefull) also, whenever he have actually an item or a projectile stored, when he does confusion he throwns the projectile or the item forward in a "shadowball" trajectory unaffected by gravity, this moves would be great oportunnities making combos setups and mindgames ...

2. Disable, still needs the eye contact but the range is now 1,5 of the former range... (eye contact adds some difficult, but multiplies the coolnes factor), this move its actually pretty good and the slight range improvement would make it simply perfect withouth making it extremly broken...

3. Teleport, just two or three less frames or lag, this subtle improvement would make this speedy move even faster, making it a good move into an excellent move.

4. Shadowball: Nothing, it's just perfect.

5. A A A: even more usless that confusion, this attack should be replaced by anything... and my idea could be that mewtwo cross his armas (solely by the coolnes factor) and spawns several cuts in front of him (like 1,5 or 2 "metwtos" forward), making it a risky attack, but with some tactical applications

6. Up Smash: no a bad move, but it could be even better, the changes would be: a) now mewtwo doesnt have to mantain the attack, and could spawn it and the still moves when the attack is in the air. b) now it makes less damage and knockback, because the moves is now should be used to set up combos and in a defensive way instead of dealing high damage. c) it also have a radius of 1,5 or 2 meters where it changes the gravity subtly towards the center of teh attacks, making teh attack have smalls sucking properties, and more important, screwing a bit the DI of that zone, making it excellent for mind games.

7. Down Smash. a bit more laggy but fairly more powerfull excellent to use in conjuntion with disable or to edgegaurd.

8. general improvemnets: mainly becasue of the ingame status of mewtwo, i think that a bit less of lag in all his attacks (althought the tilts are pretty quick) and more power are a must, to show his blinding speed and insane special attack. also, it shouls maintain his floatiness, but improve the" Fast falling" speed as a way to try to improve his disadventage in being esaily punishable when in air. the weight and the size should be almost unchanged, being his main weak spots...

In synthesis, mewtwo would be more in the quick and powerfull side of the coin than in the heavy and slow side of the coin, also, a lot of trick games and mind games would grant him high potential to bee mastered and simply make the head of your rivals explode as you play... much like mewtwo style anyways...

PS: Wow, what a large post...

2nd PS: What do you think of this mewtwo?

Dilophosaurus Rex

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo should definately return in Brawl. Not only is he a completely original and popular character, he could also make a really good villain in Subspace Emissary.

He does need a tweaked moveset, though.

Shadow Ball should move straight.
The Psycho Cut idea is a good one for B>.
Teleport is fine.
Disable should really go, though.

I have thought of these ideas for Mewtwo's new Down B:

Light Screen: Mewtwo reflects projectile attacks, similar to Fox's Reflector.
Swift: Mewtwo is surrounded by yellow stars, which are then fired in random directions.
Mist: Mewtwo creates a cloud of mist, which hides Mewtwo from view.
Earthquake: Mewtwo's eyes glow blue, and he makes the ground near him shake, slowing enemies in their tracks.
Endure: Mewtwo uses psychic power to hold him in place when an enemy attack hits him. Mewtwo does not get any knockback from the attack.

I also had some pretty decent ideas for his Final Smash, if i do say so myself:

Psychic: Mewtwo's eyes glow blue, and all opponents are lifted up by psychic power. Mewtwo then sends them flying in a random direction.
Hyper Beam: Mewtwo fires a beam of energy from his hands. During this attack Mewtwo remains in place, and you can use the control stick to aim the beam up or down.
Giga Impact: Mewtwo is surrounded by a glowing ball of energy, and he flies around the stage, ramming into opponents.
Trick Room: Mewtwo slows the stage around him, causing everything on the stage to happen at 1/2th it's original speed. Mewtwo still moves as fast as normal.

XACE-K

Smash Master
People hate the wobbling effect because it's annoying but when you start playing as Mewtwo alot, you get used to it.

Top Bottom